• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I am sore as hell from doing 2 chapters of the Pistol Whip campaign on Thursday and 3 chapters yesterday (with the second one repeated a couple of times from failure). Ouch! Killer game/experience/workout.
I want to play this but I got new glasses on weds which caused a serious case of eye strain in my eye that got a new prescription (both eyes are dealing with larger lens as well but my one eye has been strained since I got the new glasses)

It's been getting a bit better, but still bothering me, so I figure doing VR like that wouldn't be a good idea.

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Is there like a cheat sheet on how to totally maximize your potential with Oculus Link, and specifically running Alyx? VR is bringing out the tinkerer in me and I'm keen to find out if there are any optimization I can do to make it smoother, sharper etc. And also, does it actually run in 90hz? Can't seem to feel the difference before and after the update tbh. And is it worth upping the render resolution? Aaand another also, I'm running 5700XT and 3600, but it seems even when I put it to low graphics setting it still gives me the warning that my settings are too high and I should lower it... Is that normal? I thought I'm well in the recommended range :(

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
Is there like a cheat sheet on how to totally maximize your potential with Oculus Link, and specifically running Alyx? VR is bringing out the tinkerer in me and I'm keen to find out if there are any optimization I can do to make it smoother, sharper etc. And also, does it actually run in 90hz? Can't seem to feel the difference before and after the update tbh. And is it worth upping the render resolution? Aaand another also, I'm running 5700XT and 3600, but it seems even when I put it to low graphics setting it still gives me the warning that my settings are too high and I should lower it... Is that normal? I thought I'm well in the recommended range :(

You have to set 90hz in the Oculus PC app. It will only let you set that if you verify your USB 3 bandwidth is good, so run the USB test in the APP. Should be somewhere in the menu when you select the settings on the Quest from the devices menu.

Render Resolution is the most important. This effects both the game render resolution and the video that gets sent to the Quest. Only at Render 1.7 do you get true 1:1 pixels, but I doubt you can run it with a 5700XT at that resolution and 90hz. Set it as high as you can though.

The second level of tweaking is the Oculus Debug Tool. It's an app already installed on your system. That will let you specify a number of the Link bandwidth, it defaults to auto. You can set it as high as 500 here, though 300 - 400 tends to basically max out the quality.

The last thing you should know is that the Link is going to suffer a bit with the 5700XT in latency and quality simply because the AMD video encoders aren't as good as the latest NVIDIA NVENC that is found in the Geforce 2000 and 3000 series, as well as the 1660 mode. It should still look pretty damn good if you crank the bandwidth with the debug tool.

Steam also has it's own super-sampling/render-resolution settings. For now set everything in Steam to 100% and make all your changes with the Oculus Render Resolution instead. In theory if you had a crazy GPU you could super sample on top of Render 1.7 but that's just extra on top. I haven't done a lot with Steam VR and the Link so I'm not as confident in this recommendation though. I think it could look better if you leave Render at 1.7 but turn down Steam Render Resolution to get the performance back, in theory...

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I know it'll be subjective but whats the payoff like for higher render resolutions - would you do 1:1 quest res at 72Hz vs a lower res at 90Hz?

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
I know it'll be subjective but whats the payoff like for higher render resolutions - would you do 1:1 quest res at 72Hz vs a lower res at 90Hz?

I prefer higher render resolutions at 72hz or 80hz myself, except for games like Eleven Table Tennis or Beat Saber. I can usually get 90hz on anything though since most PC games let you turn down many other graphical settings to make up for it.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
90hz all the way. I may not notice the difference directly (though my Beat Saber scores are all better at 90hz), but everything moving just that much more smoother does make it a bit more immersive, and for other people makes them less likely to experience VR Sickness. Note, I'm talking about native Quest games, not PCVR. The original Quest refresh rate was my #1 complaint.

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
You have to set 90hz in the Oculus PC app. It will only let you set that if you verify your USB 3 bandwidth is good, so run the USB test in the APP. Should be somewhere in the menu when you select the settings on the Quest from the devices menu.

Render Resolution is the most important. This effects both the game render resolution and the video that gets sent to the Quest. Only at Render 1.7 do you get true 1:1 pixels, but I doubt you can run it with a 5700XT at that resolution and 90hz. Set it as high as you can though.

The second level of tweaking is the Oculus Debug Tool. It's an app already installed on your system. That will let you specify a number of the Link bandwidth, it defaults to auto. You can set it as high as 500 here, though 300 - 400 tends to basically max out the quality.

The last thing you should know is that the Link is going to suffer a bit with the 5700XT in latency and quality simply because the AMD video encoders aren't as good as the latest NVIDIA NVENC that is found in the Geforce 2000 and 3000 series, as well as the 1660 mode. It should still look pretty damn good if you crank the bandwidth with the debug tool.

Steam also has it's own super-sampling/render-resolution settings. For now set everything in Steam to 100% and make all your changes with the Oculus Render Resolution instead. In theory if you had a crazy GPU you could super sample on top of Render 1.7 but that's just extra on top. I haven't done a lot with Steam VR and the Link so I'm not as confident in this recommendation though. I think it could look better if you leave Render at 1.7 but turn down Steam Render Resolution to get the performance back, in theory...

Thanks for this mate. I've set it to 90hz and verified the connection is USB3.0 - I mean it shows there on the app, so I take it as a yes.

So with my spec of 5700xt do you think I should prioritize cranking up the bandwidth first before touching the render resolution? Does tweaking the bandwidth tax my GPU a lot? Sorry I'm kind of a noob when it comes to these things! It kinda sucks knowing I'm not getting the full fat version of what my Oculus Quest 2 can pump out with my GPU...

TBH I didn't have any issue with the lower refresh rate when I was playing it before the latest update so maybe I'll keep it at 72 and crank up the reso. I do feel like it's a bit too blurry at times.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this mate. I've set it to 90hz and verified the connection is USB3.0 - I mean it shows there on the app, so I take it as a yes.

So with my spec of 5700xt do you think I should prioritize cranking up the bandwidth first before touching the render resolution? Does tweaking the bandwidth tax my GPU a lot? Sorry I'm kind of a noob when it comes to these things! It kinda sucks knowing I'm not getting the full fat version of what my Oculus Quest 2 can pump out with my GPU...

TBH I didn't have any issue with the lower refresh rate when I was playing it before the latest update so maybe I'll keep it at 72 and crank up the reso. I do feel like it's a bit too blurry at times.

You want to crank up the bandwidth as high as you can until you experience problems, it doesn't really impact performance or have that much relationship with render resolution. It does impact latency a tiny bit, but plenty of people prefer maxing it out at 500 for the image quality.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got the Quest 2 after having the 1 for a while, and I'm having difficulty with the settings of the lenses. No matter the IPD I choose, I have this "unease" when looking at corners, like I'm looking at the border of the lens itself. It's pretty distracting and I have now idea how I could fix this.
I had the same issue.

You can adjust the lenses between two settings btw. Just hold one carefully and sloooowly push and stop midway.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I find that 80Hz is mildly less comfortable than 90Hz, but still tolerable, while going lower means that I feel increasing levels of discomfort/motion sickness.
It doesn't feel like the tracking is as stable, or maybe it's just pushing the latency over a certain threshold of comfort for me.
I did set it to 72Hz to watch some 3D Blu-rays (like Dredd and Blade Runner 2049) on the headset though, since they run at 24 FPS.

Perhaps if I had an RTX 3080/3090 I would push for 90Hz, but right now I'm having to run demanding games like Half-Life: Alyx at less than native resolution, and I find that every bit helps.
I'm quite sensitive to reprojection though, so I might be setting the resolution lower than what others find tolerable, in order to keep it below 1% or even 0.5%.
Reprojection means that head movement is mostly still as smooth as 80 FPS, but your hands and enemies/the environment update at half the rate - and I find it distracting.

I do wish that Virtual Desktop could change the refresh rate on a per-game/application basis, rather than having to manually switch and restart Steam VR. It's still quick enough to change though.

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
I had the same issue.

You can adjust the lenses between two settings btw. Just hold one carefully and sloooowly push and stop midway.
I tried this, but doesn't seem to be better. My IPD is 60.4 near and 62.4 far, so it's supposed to be OK, so it's strange. Never had this "lenses too small" feeling no matter the IPD on quest 1.

Boomchil

Nov 1, 2017
France
Tried Robo Recall, damn this is pure fun. However it gets repetitive quickly, so I advice to play it in short bursts.

Snatching a robot arm and hit his head with it never gets old.

Oct 27, 2017
I tried this, but doesn't seem to be better. My IPD is 60.4 near and 62.4 far, so it's supposed to be OK, so it's strange. Never had this "lenses too small" feeling no matter the IPD on quest 1.

You notice it all the time? Do you wear glasses or use the spacer?

Oculus sells alternate face fit pieces but seems shitty if thats the answer.

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
You notice it all the time? Do you wear glasses or use the spacer?

Oculus sells alternate face fit pieces but seems shitty if thats the answer.
Nope, I have contacts. Yep it's all the time. Unless I'm looking perfectly in the center, I see the outer limit of the lenses. It's strange, never had this issue with quest 1.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I want to play this but I got new glasses on weds which caused a serious case of eye strain in my eye that got a new prescription (both eyes are dealing with larger lens as well but my one eye has been strained since I got the new glasses)

It's been getting a bit better, but still bothering me, so I figure doing VR like that wouldn't be a good idea.

I've actually had medically necessary corrective surgery so I only wear glasses for reading and not VR which approximates a 6 foot focal length.

I can say that if I needed correction for VR I would be looking hard (haha) at attachable lenses. Being budget minded I'd be looking at the 3D printed mounts and Zenni lenses.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Tried Robo Recall, damn this is pure fun. However it gets repetitive quickly, so I advice to play it in short bursts.

Snatching a robot arm and hit his head with it never gets old.
I find you have so many different options at play that it doesn't really get repetitive, but yeah its not the kind of game you can play for hours on end.
And eventually retrying levels for score is super fun

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, I have contacts. Yep it's all the time. Unless I'm looking perfectly in the center, I see the outer limit of the lenses. It's strange, never had this issue with quest 1.

Using the glasses spacer has the effect of changing the IPD a small amount, makes the distance between your eyes a bit smaller. So if you IPD was 60 and you were using setting 1 which is 58, just putting in the glasses spacer can make the Quest more comfortable even if you don't wear glasses. This applies in reverse with putting on the strap extra tight so the lenses move closer to your face. So if you're using setting 2, you might get a better result mashing the lenses as close as possible. You can also swap out the headset face cover for a third party alternative that is thinner to accomplish this.

TLDR: Try adjusting the lenses closer and farther away from your eyes and see if any particular distance increases comfort, and try both notch settings that are nearest to you too. It might be easier to test this using your hands to change distance, and then trying to find a solution to keep it in that location.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have recommendations for affordable headphones that would be good to use for this? I realized mine are about to die, and it'd pain me to keep playing Thumper without some decent ones with bass.

I usually get in-ear but whatever era reccomends

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have recommendations for affordable headphones that would be good to use for this? I realized mine are about to die, and it'd pain me to keep playing Thumper without some decent ones with bass.

I usually get in-ear but whatever era reccomends

Koss KSC75 for 18 dollars. Clips on your ears, super tiny, decent sound.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Using the glasses spacer has the effect of changing the IPD a small amount, makes the distance between your eyes a bit smaller. So if you IPD was 60 and you were using setting 1 which is 58, just putting in the glasses spacer can make the Quest more comfortable even if you don't wear glasses. This applies in reverse with putting on the strap extra tight so the lenses move closer to your face. So if you're using setting 2, you might get a better result mashing the lenses as close as possible. You can also swap out the headset face cover for a third party alternative that is thinner to accomplish this.

TLDR: Try adjusting the lenses closer and farther away from your eyes and see if any particular distance increases comfort, and try both notch settings that are nearest to you too. It might be easier to test this using your hands to change distance, and then trying to find a solution to keep it in that location.

How does the glasses spacer modify IPD? Does it increase the IPD value when used? Abd by how much?

So if I have the Quest 2 on its default middle setting, what is the ipd number on that setting if I use the spacer?

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
How does the glasses spacer modify IPD? Does it increase the IPD value when used? Abd by how much?

So if I have the Quest 2 on its default middle setting, what is the ipd number on that setting if I use the spacer?

I don't know if it's precisely changing the IPD in a way you can recalculate like that, but when the IPD of the lenses isn't exactly aligned with the center of your pupils, if you imagine a line from the lenses to your pupils you can see how it will be at an angle right? So moving your eyes forwards and backwards will have a similar (but small) effect on the line to moving the lenses itself.

Easiest thing to do is just use your hands to push the headset tight and closer your eyes, and then slowly pull it back, and see if there's a spot in that range where more of the Oculus lens is clear all the way to the edges. Try to find a better sweet spot. And then swap in or out the glasses spacer or the VR Cover to different sizes to keep it there.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017

Couple of questions, which setting specifically is the one to change in the debug tool, encode bitrate?

Second what does Render at 1.7 mean?

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Stupid noob question, is there a universal "quit out of the game/application" button combination?

Some games don't seem to have the option to quit out, and I've been leaning on restarting the headset with the power button to get back to the Oculus hub.

Jayde Six

Feb 2, 2019
Stupid noob question, is there a universal "quit out of the game/application" button combination?

Some games don't seem to have the option to quit out, and I've been leaning on restarting the headset with the power button to get back to the Oculus hub.

If you hit the home button on the right controller there should be a quit game option on the homescreen menu, unless thats what you are talking about not having a quit button though I've not encountered a game that wouldn't let you quit that way.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California

Press the Oculus Button on the right controller and quit the app from the system UI that pops up.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone bought and received the new VRCover facial interface yet? Still waiting on mine to arrive.
FacialInterfaceandFoamReplacementforOculusQuest2-2_2100x.jpg

Does anyone know if this version works with the glasses spacer that comes with the Quest 2? I have a v1 of this facial interface from when they launched, and the spacer doesn't work with it.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
my headset will be here on the 18th.

is the sales still going on now or is it over?

do u guys think there will be a xmas sales soon?

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
I picked up the 64GB version for $500 (believe me, it's the cheapest I could find, and way cheaper than having it shipped via a forwarding service + customs fee/tax) and I'm really happy with it so far. Immediately bought Pistol Whip and (rebought, since I have it on PSVR) Beat Saber. The tracking quality on this thing is both a blessing and a curse since I can't blame it for missed notes any more!

I also got it working with Virtual Desktop. It was a bit of a pain since we only have 2.4Ghz routers, and my Desktop is wired up to a GL.iNET travel router that I'm using as an access point. Thankfully, my mobo has wifi so I enabled the mobile hotspot feature instead. It was really stuttery at first but at constant intervals so I figured it was some OS related thing and turns out I was right.

If anyone is experiencing the same issue, this is what I did:
  • open Windows Terminal or Command Prompt
  • run netsh wlan show all to get your network interface name
  • run netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="<INTERFACE_NAME>" . In my case, the interface name was "Wi-Fi"
After this, Virtual Desktop was buttery smooth with little to no artifacting, stuttering, and compression. I've been using it to play House of the Dying Sun (with a DS4) and been having a blast. VR games are also way cheaper on Steam (due to regional pricing) so Virtual Desktop is a godsend.

The screen resolution is also a massive step-up from what I've experienced with the PSVR. You can actually use this to watch movies/videos in a virtual environment without feeling like the image quality is massively downgraded!

I absolutely love this thing (from a tech and gaming perspective) but absolutely loathe that I have to worry about device functionality being tied to Facebook. The whole data collection thing is already a bridge I've crossed but the Quest's functionality being subject to FB moderation is something I can't accept. Once a jailbreak comes out I'll at least be able to breathe easy.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Is Echo VR updated to take advantage of the Quest 2? I played some yesterday and it seems pretty rough, similar to Quest 1.
Mostly just performance and resolution, from what I can tell. I don't get framerate dips when goals are scored anymore, for example.

Don't personally like the haze in the PC build, but some of the uniform flat colored surfaces are really unhelpful when it comes to knowing how far away they are

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up the 64GB version for $500 (believe me, it's the cheapest I could find, and way cheaper than having it shipped via a forwarding service + customs fee/tax) and I'm really happy with it so far. Immediately bought Pistol Whip and (rebought, since I have it on PSVR) Beat Saber. The tracking quality on this thing is both a blessing and a curse since I can't blame it for missed notes any more!

I also got it working with Virtual Desktop. It was a bit of a pain since we only have 2.4Ghz routers, and my Desktop is wired up to a GL.iNET travel router that I'm using as an access point. Thankfully, my mobo has wifi so I enabled the mobile hotspot feature instead. It was really stuttery at first but at constant intervals so I figured it was some OS related thing and turns out I was right.

If anyone is experiencing the same issue, this is what I did:
  • open Windows Terminal or Command Prompt
  • run netsh wlan show all to get your network interface name
  • run netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="<INTERFACE_NAME>" . In my case, the interface name was "Wi-Fi"
After this, Virtual Desktop was buttery smooth with little to no artifacting, stuttering, and compression. I've been using it to play House of the Dying Sun (with a DS4) and been having a blast. VR games are also way cheaper on Steam (due to regional pricing) so Virtual Desktop is a godsend.

The screen resolution is also a massive step-up from what I've experienced with the PSVR. You can actually use this to watch movies/videos in a virtual environment without feeling like the image quality is massively downgraded!

I absolutely love this thing (from a tech and gaming perspective) but absolutely loathe that I have to worry about device functionality being tied to Facebook. The whole data collection thing is already a bridge I've crossed but the Quest's functionality being subject to FB moderation is something I can't accept. Once a jailbreak comes out I'll at least be able to breathe easy.

Whoa! So I assume this will remember the setting and it's a one time command?

I tested and this seems to work for me. Before it was a rhythmic hitch like every 3 seconds or so (been too long for me to remember the timing). I switched to a dedicated AP and turned my mobo's wifi back off.

My mobo wifi doesn't seem the best and VD gives me a warning about bandwidth (around 433mbps). This is opposed to 800 something with my AP. But I noticed absolutely zero difference between my onboard wifi and what I usually get with my AP. No change in latency either. Except I never saw my latency move even 1ms while playing. It was completely locked.

I might have to retire the dedicated AP. Thanks for posting this. I knew it was Windows messing things up, but I was clueless how to solve it.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Posting here what I posted in the Alyx thread - anyone able to help clarify things for me?

So I've gotten Half-Life: Alyx working decently well on my Quest 2 connected to my PC with a 2060 using Virtual Desktop. But I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of the different and seemingly overlapping options available to me.

How should I handle in-game Alyx settings, vs. Virtual Desktop settings, vs. Steam VR settings? What should I set to each? Do the Steam VR settings even do anything? (I honestly can't tell)

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Posting here what I posted in the Alyx thread - anyone able to help clarify things for me?

VD settings for Quality (low/medium/high) set the render AND encode resolution. Encode resolution is the actual image resolution that will be displaying in the Quest. Render resolution is what the game is being rendered at and impacts how much super/sub sampling is going on.

The Steam resolution setting should be affected by VD. The Steam base resolution should go up/down based on what your VD quality setting is.

If you want to have a lower render resolution from what VD is selecting, go below 100%. If you want to add some super sampling, go above. Obviously render resolutions can get insane and tank any GPU if you allow it.

The in-game settings are standard stuff. A lot of this stuff is indistinguishable between medium and the highest setting. Stuff like shadows and stuff. If you need performance, dumping the non-texture stuff down are easy performance gains with little quality loss.

Optimally: it's probably VD (HIGH), bump the non-essential in-game settings down a bit, and roll with the render resolution that will keep you from dropping frames.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for a sale on Tetris Effect, but decided to bite anyway (plus I don't mind paying full to the devs for everything they do).

I was concerned about getting it until I found out it supported bluetooth controllers.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
If you hit the home button on the right controller there should be a quit game option on the homescreen menu, unless thats what you are talking about not having a quit button though I've not encountered a game that wouldn't let you quit that way.
Press the Oculus Button on the right controller and quit the app from the system UI that pops up.
Thanks. I'm an idiot and was holding that button down which kept triggering the recentering function.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reached the boss at In Death Unchained and his army ravaged me, shame because it was a great run so far.

Game is pretty tight and immersive, I recommend it.

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
Whoa! So I assume this will remember the setting and it's a one time command?

I tested and this seems to work for me. Before it was a rhythmic hitch like every 3 seconds or so (been too long for me to remember the timing). I switched to a dedicated AP and turned my mobo's wifi back off.

My mobo wifi doesn't seem the best and VD gives me a warning about bandwidth (around 433mbps). This is opposed to 800 something with my AP. But I noticed absolutely zero difference between my onboard wifi and what I usually get with my AP. No change in latency either. Except I never saw my latency move even 1ms while playing. It was completely locked.

I might have to retire the dedicated AP. Thanks for posting this. I knew it was Windows messing things up, but I was clueless how to solve it.

Seems like it! It persisted for me event after a reboot. Have to run the same command but with enabled=yes for WiFi networks to show up again. Glad that helped!

Also, regarding bandwidth, seems like the high bandwidth recommendation is under the assumption that other devices are connected on the same access point. Since we're using the hotspot as dedicated Virtual Desktop APs, we're probably fine with lower bandwidths. I actually was able to play pretty smoothly on the 2.4ghz router that I had but was eventually bottlenecked by the ethernet connection (ethernet port on my AP can only go to 100megabits/s) so compression and tracking can be pretty bad.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like it! It persisted for me event after a reboot. Have to run the same command but with enabled=yes for WiFi networks to show up again. Glad that helped!

Also, regarding bandwidth, seems like the high bandwidth recommendation is under the assumption that other devices are connected on the same access point. Since we're using the hotspot as dedicated Virtual Desktop APs, we're probably fine with lower bandwidths. I actually was able to play pretty smoothly on the 2.4ghz router that I had but was eventually bottlenecked by the ethernet connection (ethernet port on my AP can only go to 100megabits/s) so compression and tracking can be pretty bad.

Cool. And that does make sense about the bandwidth.

I always used to turn the radio off on my AP. What I like about this method is I've just pinned the "Mobile Hotspot" to my Start menu and I can have it turned on/off with two clicks:)

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
My Quest delivery date was originally estimated for next week but got bumped up to tomorrow. Perfect for when I run into my first major Cyberpunk bug and decide to hold off continuing until the first major patch.