• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
It was certainly mentioned earlier in the thread, but is it worth it if I plan on using it as a PC vr headset only? How noticeable is the image compression? Any resolution diminution VS using the device alone?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Despite vowing to never spend another dollar on the Facebook platform (after my debacle setting up an account), I used my 20 dollar credit to pick up Top Golf (14.99) and Shadow Point (9.99). Shadow Point is such a charade. Buy it off the Rift store for 9.99 and then get the Quest game for free. Otherwise no sale on the Quest store. Are we really that stupid we can't figure this out?

Would have picked up Edge of Nowhere for 4.99, but after watching a review on Youtube, it really should have been called Edge of Darkness. Seems like most of that game is pure darkness and a flashlight. Not exactly a game built for LCD displays.

It was certainly mentioned earlier in the thread, but is it worth it if I plan on using it as a PC vr headset only? How noticeable is the image compression? Any resolution diminution VS using the device alone?

Honestly, I can't notice it. I've seen people on Reddit complaining about being able to see compression artifacts on title screens and stuff, but you'll see compression artifacts on title screens on any HMD. If that's the best they got, I'm skeptical of all their claims TBH.

The resolution is essentially whatever resolution you encode the images at. You can actually send images that are outputting at the native resolution of the Quest 2 if your GPU has the horsepower. Most, if not all, native Quest games are running sub-sampled. So if you have the GPU power, PCVR will actually display at a higher resolution than native Quest stuff.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
The whole forced bundles think is a little gross. I have been waiting for a FitXR sale but don't want Creed or Sports Scramble.

Will buy Lone Echo and a few others from Rift to play via VD, and also will buy In Death, Arizona Sunshine (worth it?), and maybe a few others. If anyone has recommendations lmk

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Well that's disappointing; most of the games on my wishlist either don't have a discount at all, or are only discounted in bundles.
The only game I actually have for the device itself so far is SUPERHOT VR.

After playing another couple of hours of Half-Life: Alyx today, if you have an older GPU then reducing the refresh rate is definitely the way to go.
80Hz is not quite as comfortable an experience as 90Hz for me, but I can increase the resolution by about 10% - which is a big difference at the lower end of the scale.
It's a much better balance between performance and resolution on my GTX 1070, but I really notice when frames are being dropped/reprojected - so others may not be setting the resolution as low as I was at 90Hz.
72Hz seemed okay for native apps on the headset itself before the update for 90Hz support, but 72Hz when streaming is a no-go for me. It just doesn't track as well or something, and I was getting mild motion sickness.

It feels like I'm nearing the end of the game now, and it's so disappointing that it's being overlooked for Game of the Year awards in most places. Anything else released this year is a distant second place behind this for me.
There was a thread recently where someone asked what the most you would be willing to pay for a video game is, and I'd say that HL:A is worth the $300 for this hardware on its own.
I really hope we get more big games like this from Valve, and other developers.

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017

I bought it with this in mind. I'm happy with it but you can definitely feel that the native Quest games are running better resolution-wise than PCVR (I'm using link). I remember thinking when i first boot up Alyx was that it looked like i just rubbed my eyes really hard or as if I'm not 100% focused in my eyes. But besides that, zero complaints so far. I'm pretty sure if you're a tinkerer kind you can get even more value out of it. I only got as far as to use it to play PCVR wirelessly but it takes quite a bit of work to optimize your settings tho, so been sticking with my link setup.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Oculus store is rejecting all my payment methods. This is happening after I merged with my Facebook account. This is the nightmare! Is there a way to buy store credit online that I can do in the meantime while I wait for the support team to get back to me?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it with this in mind. I'm happy with it but you can definitely feel that the native Quest games are running better resolution-wise than PCVR (I'm using link). I remember thinking when i first boot up Alyx was that it looked like i just rubbed my eyes really hard or as if I'm not 100% focused in my eyes. But besides that, zero complaints so far. I'm pretty sure if you're a tinkerer kind you can get even more value out of it. I only got as far as to use it to play PCVR wirelessly but it takes quite a bit of work to optimize your settings tho, so been sticking with my link setup.

Have you gone back and adjusted your settings since update 23? Because you can send signals that are far beyond what you were able to do at launch. You can basically feed it as much as your GPU can handle now.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't used a Link cable, but that doesn't sound right.
Depending on your GPU, SteamVR may choose to subsample the game if resolution is set to "auto".
With Virtual Desktop, the various quality settings determine the base rendering resolution (per eye) when SteamVR is manually set to 100%:
  • Low: 1728x1824
  • Medium: 2016x2112
  • High: 2496x2592
Half-Life: Alyx streamed to the Quest 2 at high/100% resolution was very noticeably sharper than anything I've seen running natively on the headset.
Unfortunately my GTX 1070 can only keep the game running at a smooth 80 FPS when I drop it to 30% though - which is 2734x1420. But it's still not bad compared to native apps.
You can see some color banding in shadows or gradients, but I didn't find it too distracting at higher bit-rates using HEVC - never to the point that I would prefer to use a tethered headset.

I do seem to recall that people were saying the Link cable was using a lower resolution than Virtual Desktop at launch though.
I think that was supposed to be fixed with the V23 update, but again: I don't have a long enough USB-C cable to really try it out, and I prefer being untethered.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
How is this for someone who's not tech savvy and typically doesn't play games?

My dad messaged me yesterday asking my advice about what VR headset to buy because he wanted one to play games, which caused me to do a spit take 'cause he's never had much interest in playing games past Mario Kart on the N64. I have no idea why he wants one lmao, but I told him I'd do some research.

My parents don't have a computer outside a crappy personal laptop and from what I understand the Quest line is designed to be able to be played computer-free, correct? I think the biggest barrier to entry is price. I looked into PSVR prices because I have my PS4 now sitting on a shelf and could give it to him, but it's almost as expensive as the Quest 2. I have a feeling the price will probably scare him off when it comes down to it

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't used a Link cable, but that doesn't sound right.
Depending on your GPU, SteamVR may choose to subsample the game if resolution is set to "auto".
With Virtual Desktop, the various quality settings determine the base rendering resolution (per eye) when SteamVR is manually set to 100%:
  • Low: 1728x1824
  • Medium: 2016x2112
  • High: 2496x2592
Half-Life: Alyx streamed to the Quest 2 at high/100% resolution was very noticeably sharper than anything I've seen running natively on the headset.
Unfortunately my GTX 1070 can only keep the game running at a smooth 80 FPS when I drop it to 30% though - which is 2734x1420. But it's still not bad compared to native apps.
You can see some color banding in shadows or gradients, but I didn't find it too distracting at higher bit-rates using HEVC - never to the point that I would prefer to use a tethered headset.

I do seem to recall that people were saying the Link cable was using a lower resolution than Virtual Desktop at launch though.
I think that was supposed to be fixed with the V23 update, but again: I don't have a long enough USB-C cable to really try it out, and I prefer being untethered.

It was definitely fixed with v23. If you want highest resolution/quality, Link is now the undisputed way to play (although VD is still preferable for anything that involves movement/turning). The defaults are pretty low, though, so if you don't go into the advanced settings and manually override things, v23 isn't going to change much of anything.

My dad messaged me yesterday asking my advice about what VR headset to buy because he wanted one to play games, which caused me to do a spit take 'cause he's never had much interest in playing games past Mario Kart on the N64. I have no idea why he wants one lmao, but I told him I'd do some research.

My parents don't have a computer outside a crappy personal laptop and from what I understand the Quest line is designed to be able to be played computer-free, correct? I think the biggest barrier to entry is price. I looked into PSVR prices because I have my PS4 now sitting on a shelf and could give it to him, but it's almost as expensive as the Quest 2. I have a feeling the price will probably scare him off when it comes down to it

Yes, as long as he stays away from PCVR, it's the simplest VR platform out there. Great quality and ease of use that anyone can handle. 299.99 is expensive? I'm blown away that something like Quest 2 can exist at that price point. Best value from a tech POV in all of gaming.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
It was definitely fixed with v23. If you want highest resolution/quality, Link is now the undisputed way to play (although VD is still preferable for anything that involves movement/turning). The defaults are pretty low, though, so if you don't go into the advanced settings and manually override things, v23 isn't going to change much of anything.

Yes, as long as he stays away from PCVR, it's the simplest VR platform out there. Great quality and ease of use that anyone can handle. 299.99 is expensive? I'm blown away that something like Quest 2 can exist at that price point. Best value from a tech POV in all of gaming.
Sorry, I should have clarified, I'm Canadian so the 64GB model is $399.99 lol. I guess that's another question; is 64GB storage good enough? How big are VR games typically? My knee jerk reaction was that it was kind of low, but obviously the 256GB is even more expensive

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I should have clarified, I'm Canadian so the 64GB model is $399.99 lol. I guess that's another question; is 64GB storage good enough? How big are VR games typically? My knee jerk reaction was that it was kind of low, but obviously the 256GB is even more expensive

Most are probably under 1GB. And even the bigger ones are still fairly small. You can fit a bunch of games onto a 64GB unit. More than any reasonable person would ever play at once. So as long as you don't mind occasionally deleting something not being played, it's really not an issue.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

This is the one to get.
Oculus headsets are the only stand-alone ones which don't require a PC or console, and Quest 2 is the best one yet - despite them having got the price down to $299.

My mother - who has never had an interest in anything more than word-puzzle games despite my best efforts over the years, who took a lot of convincing to try it, was absolutely blown away by the Quest - to the point that she was thinking of getting one herself.
To my surprise, of all the demos and experiences she went through, SUPERHOT VR was her favorite by far.
VR really is that different - especially untethered, if you can have a space which is at least something like 2×3m.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Most are probably under 1GB. And even the bigger ones are still fairly small. You can fit a bunch of games onto a 64GB unit. More than any reasonable person would ever play at once. So as long as you don't mind occasionally deleting something not being played, it's really not an issue.
This is the one to get.
Oculus headsets are the only stand-alone ones which don't require a PC or console, and Quest 2 is the best one yet - despite them having got the price down to $299.

My mother - who has never had an interest in anything more than word-puzzle games despite my best efforts over the years, who took a lot of convincing to try it, was absolutely blown away by the Quest - to the point that she was thinking of getting one herself.
To my surprise, of all the demos and experiences she went through, SUPERHOT VR was her favorite by far.
VR really is that different - especially untethered, if you can have a space which is at least something like 2×3m.
Thanks to both of you. I'll let my dad know that it wants a VR headset to get this one. Much appreciated

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I can't notice it. I've seen people on Reddit complaining about being able to see compression artifacts on title screens and stuff, but you'll see compression artifacts on title screens on any HMD. If that's the best they got, I'm skeptical of all their claims TBH.

The resolution is essentially whatever resolution you encode the images at. You can actually send images that are outputting at the native resolution of the Quest 2 if your GPU has the horsepower. Most, if not all, native Quest games are running sub-sampled. So if you have the GPU power, PCVR will actually display at a higher resolution than native Quest stuff.

Thank you very much!

Keits

Designer at Iron Galaxy Studios
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Orlando, FL
I had a similar experience. I have a dad who likes video games but is terrible at them and really only spends time playing puzzle games and roller coaster tycoon type stuff.

When he visited last year I had him play my Quest 1. He went home and bought one right away and now he spends 2+ hours a day in it, playing ALL kinds of games. And we play Co-Op stuff at least once a week, which has been an amazing way to stay in touch during the pandemic.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
My Quest 2 arrived in time for the weekend. Spent a couple of hours last night and another 30 mins this morning. Mostly on Beat Saber, and a little FitXR and Trover Saves The Universe.

Beat Saber is super compelling, and reminds me of the many hours spent on Eyetoy Groove on PS2 back in the day. Can see that being part of my daily routine to keep my exercise up. Glad the foam is washable as I went through the first full set of songs in a row and was sweating hard.

In my exploration, I came across the "Cure your fear of heights" animations/videos. Anybody used those to success? Any tips? I have a degree of vertigo and fear of heights and just noped out at the very first try. I guess I just need to try going in a little more rationally.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Decided to play a little bit of Shadow Point. As I'm playing and thinking about how this is never going to get a 90hz patch, I was struck with the WTF am I playing this natively? Booted up the Rift version on VD and not only 90hz, but absolute pristine image quality. That'll work:)

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I had a similar experience. I have a dad who likes video games but is terrible at them and really only spends time playing puzzle games and roller coaster tycoon type stuff.

When he visited last year I had him play my Quest 1. He went home and bought one right away and now he spends 2+ hours a day in it, playing ALL kinds of games. And we play Co-Op stuff at least once a week, which has been an amazing way to stay in touch during the pandemic.
Hmm, this is a good point. I think my dad would get into VR. He loves gadgets, and he wants to like games, but finds them far too complicated. I think if I put a Quest 2 in front of him, he'd really get into it.

My mom would never go for it. She enjoys games when I put them in front of her, but she get motion sick really easily. Shit, even handheld cameras in movies make her sick.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
Sad day, my elite strap with battery broke today. Very gentle handling and limited use. You have to shrink it down to fit it into the case, that's when it happened. Was planning on bringing it to Thanksgiving, turned the dial to shorten it and the arm snapped.

Is there a way to report this to Oculus or do I just take it back to Best Buy? They're sold out of the strap unfortunately.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
How is Lone Echo?

Also, should I get Boneworks from the Oculus store or the Steam store? Does it matter? (Streaming to headset with VD).

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, this is a good point. I think my dad would get into VR. He loves gadgets, and he wants to like games, but finds them far too complicated. I think if I put a Quest 2 in front of him, he'd really get into it.

My mom would never go for it. She enjoys games when I put them in front of her, but she get motion sick really easily. Shit, even handheld cameras in movies make her sick.
Mine gets extremely motion sick too, and even has difficulty travelling as a passenger in cars or buses.
I don't get motion sickness to that degree, but I can't do anything like reading or looking at a phone as a passenger. I get very bad motion sickness from many games too.

VR has not been a a problem for either of us.
I can't do smooth locomotion when standing in games (regular analog stick movement) because that does make me motion sick, but room-scale movement (walking around) or teleportation has not been a problem at all - even from day one.
The only games I've had her try were ones that I know don't make me sick though.

Oculus have a comfort rating for all games on the platform, so you may find that your mom can play games rated as "comfortable" rather than having to avoid it altogether.

Sad day, my elite strap with battery broke today. Very gentle handling and limited use. You have to shrink it down to fit it into the case, that's when it happened. Was planning on bringing it to Thanksgiving, turned the dial to shorten it and the arm snapped.

Is there a way to report this to Oculus or do I just take it back to Best Buy? They're sold out of the strap unfortunately.
It seems like either the design is flawed or the first batch has a manufacturing defect, as this is very common.
Oculus have reportedly pulled it from sale until they rectify the issue.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I'm kind of more interested in this thing at the moment than I am in either of the next gen consoles.. I'm getting hit with a lot of ads for it on social media too, I don't know if my interest came first or if the advertising is just working!

I was tempted to put it on a card as a gift to myself for Christmas but I've got a little 4 month old and my fiance's maternity pay will dry up for a few months soon so I've got to be responsible.. I'll put a bit away each month instead..

Overall, how are people feeling about it? Happy?

Those of you with decent PCs I'm not in that category.. I have a decent laptop at my disposal - xps 15: which has a 1050 ti / core i7 - not really sure what I'd be able to run

I know I'd get a kick just out of playing super hot and beat saber without being tethered to anything though!

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Well i just played 2 hours of eleven table tennis vr with the quest2+link and my, that was en eye opener. Never have i experienced a more intuitive and real experience in a videogame. It works so well... I didn't play ping pong in ... 20+ years and some of my old feeling came back.

Is there such a thing for Tennis ? (But i guess with the running part it can't be as 1:1)

Fat Dad

Prophet of Regret
Nov 28, 2017
Paragon I just wanted to thank you for the instructions you gave me to make Virtual Desktop work. I'm set up and everything works the way I was hoping it would.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking for experiences people have had with running two quests on virtual desk top on the same WiFi router. Wife and I would really like to explore this but can't find anything.

wether it's personal experience of someone here or link to video/article it would be appreciated. I haven't been able to find anything. We can buy two link cables but would prefer wireless.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
I'm looking for experiences people have had with running two quests on virtual desk top on the same WiFi router. Wife and I would really like to explore this but can't find anything.

wether it's personal experience of someone here or link to video/article it would be appreciated. I haven't been able to find anything. We can buy two link cables but would prefer wireless.

I would recommend going into the Virtual Desktop Discord. It's very active and the developer is in there all day answering questions and helping people troubleshoot.

Discord - A New Way to Chat with Friends & Communities

Discord is the easiest way to communicate over voice, video, and text. Chat, hang out, and stay close with your friends and communities.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

I would assume that's also using two different computers.
I expect the best result will be achieved from buying another access point (connected via Ethernet) to create a second wireless network running on a non-overlapping channel. You can probably do that for less than $100.
Trying to run two high-bandwidth, latency-sensitive devices off the same network seems like a bad idea.

Paragon I just wanted to thank you for the instructions you gave me to make Virtual Desktop work. I'm set up and everything works the way I was hoping it would.
I'm glad to hear that it helped, and you have it all set up now.

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, so the BF sale is pretty bad but I think I should pick up two new games to get some variety (I only have Superhot, Beat Saber, Shadow Point and FitXR). I was hoping for Pinball FX or Pistol Whip but those aren't around, so...

I'm thinking In Death: Unchained, and maybe Audica? Or is there a better medieval fighting game?

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would assume that's also using two different computers.
I expect the best result will be achieved from buying another access point (connected via Ethernet) to create a second wireless network running on a non-overlapping channel. You can probably do that for less than $100.
Trying to run two high-bandwidth, latency-sensitive devices off the same network seems like a bad idea.

yes, definitely off two different desktops.

agree on it seeming like a bad idea which is pretty much the only reason I asked without just diving in. Our router is due for an upgrade so thought I'd ask around about experiences. I hadn't occurred to me to use a secondary access point though, and that's something I'll definitely consider.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Now that Top Golf has added regular clubs for the driving range, I really hope they add the ability to play a course or two with these.

Picked it up yesterday and wasn't really sold at first. But once I turned the power down to 0 and turned on Pro mode, it kicks butt. Give me a course to use these clubs on and it'll turn into one of my favorite games ever.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need support here.

Just came back from store with an Oculus Quest 2, just bought Virtual Desktop on the Oculus platform, installed the Oculus app on my PC and phone and installed the Virtual Desktop and Sidequest app on my PC as well. Want to play some Steam VR games.

I seem to hit something that I don't see in most tutorials I see, normally it says I just need to flip the 'Dev Mode' switch from the Oculus app on my phone, but then it says I need to go to X page where it asks me my CC number and such.

Do I really need to give my CC card #? I've been going with Paypal all the way through this. :\

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
I need support here.

Just came back from store with an Oculus Quest 2, just bought Virtual Desktop on the Oculus platform, installed the Oculus app on my PC and phone and installed the Virtual Desktop and Sidequest app on my PC as well. Want to play some Steam VR games.

I seem to hit something that I don't see in most tutorials I see, normally it says I just need to flip the 'Dev Mode' switch from the Oculus app on my phone, but then it says I need to go to X page where it asks me my CC number and such.

Do I really need to give my CC card #? I've been going with Paypal all the way through this. :\
Yes, you have to add a credit card (im assuming for some sort of verification) to become a "Dev", but you can remove it immediately after. I just have my Paypal linked.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, you have to add a credit card (im assuming for some sort of verification) to become a "Dev", but you can remove it immediately after. I just have my Paypal linked.

Ok, I managed to enable Dev Mode, got the VR Patch installed in the OQ2 via Sideloader.

Now when I boot Virtual Desktop and want to launch a game, say Thumper, it freezes for a while, sends me a warning that an external source tried to open an app, and when I click 'OK' to authorize it, it says 'could not find Oculus HMD'. Anyone can help with that?

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out, I had to start STEAMVR from the VD app in the Oculus...finally!

Last edited:

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I managed to enable Dev Mode, got the VR Patch installed in the OQ2 via Sideloader.

Now when I boot Virtual Desktop and want to launch a game, say Thumper, it freezes for a while, sends me a warning that an external source tried to open an app, and when I click 'OK' to authorize it, it says 'could not find Oculus HMD'. Anyone can help with that?

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out, I had to start STEAMVR from the VD app in the Oculus...finally!

Have you opened the Oculus app on your PC and gone to settings, general, and set unknown sources to "on"? Also, don't forget to get your free copy of Asgards Wrath. I think youll have to launch Oculus Link from your headset.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you opened the Oculus app on your PC and gone to settings, general, and set unknown sources to "on"? Also, don't forget to get your free copy of Asgards Wrath. I think youll have to launch Oculus Link from your headset.
Will check it out tonight. Just bought a couple games like SuperHot VR, Half Life Alyx and Trevor Saves the Universe, gonna dip into that a bit. It works surprisingly well with my old ass wi-fi router which is a pleasant surprise!

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I hate Shadow Point. Last non-Valve puzzle game I ever buy. Portal 1/2 has tricked me into thinking I actually like the genre, but I really don't. And the worst thing is, it's not even the puzzles that are even getting me. It's the random triggers that I'm seemingly always missing. Which then sends me down the rabbit hole of obscurity (and no chance to solve). Which then triggers some motion sickness from just looping around in circles.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
FitXR is phenomenal. Can't believe I waited this long to get it. I will keep Supernatural subscription going and see how I use both. For now, they seem more complimentary then in true competition.

Bottom line is anyone would be totally justified buying Oculus for fitness and fitness alone IMO. I expect Oculus to lean more into this marketing moving forward. My guess is they bought Beat saber in part to do a more fitness based version perhaps subscription.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone can answer it would be of great help!

Lone Echo is pretty great, I haven't beaten it, but the game is very well done and works great over link (I haven't tried it on VD yet).

I usually prefer to buy games on steamVR because it doesn't lock you into the Oculus headset (and doesn't support Facebook as much). I also kind of think steamVR games work better with VD, but not 100% sure on that. My PC can handle any extra processing required to go from Oculus -> steamVR.

Also, make sure you're very comfortable in VR before trying Boneworks. It's at the high end for intensity of experience in VR. It makes a lot of people sick.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
So whats the deal with this new video buffering thing?
Is it a new option in the settings? Does it increase video quality or decrease latency?
Having trouble finding any info other that "it now exists" in the patch notes lol
(in regards to Virtual Desktop)

Agi

Jun 26, 2020
Star Wars Squadrons VR is a childhood dream come true, I can only imagine what games like this will look like in 10-20-50 years. I wanna be there!

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anyone can answer it would be of great help!

Lone Echo is pretty great. It's also got a sequel coming that is likely gonna be the last Oculus game that will really push hardware. It's relatively short, has some fun movement mechanics. Mostly just a linear adventure so don't go in expecting action or complex puzzles.

Boneworks I'd probably get on SteamVR. VD plays better with SteamVR in my experience, and you're more likely to find it on sale there too. Their refund policy is better too if it ends up making your sick (Oculus technically has the same refund policy, but it both takes much longer to process and blocks you from the app while they are processing it).

I'd pretty much only buy on Oculus itself if its:

Exclusive
Cross Buy
Significantly cheaper.
Or very good Quest 2 native (so using a PC won't be a huge improvement).

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a VR centered day haha, I did Rez (Steam) and Tetris Effect (Oculus) entirely and played some Rick & Morty in between sessions. Going to bed as Alyx still is downloading. Tomorrow should be good. I'll probably buy a few other Steam games before the sales ends. I only bought Tetris as a game on Oculus because it's not even on Steam apparently, heh...

Loving this headset so far, will sell the PSVR with no regrets.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
So whats the deal with this new video buffering thing?
Is it a new option in the settings? Does it increase video quality or decrease latency?
Having trouble finding any info other that "it now exists" in the patch notes lol
(in regards to Virtual Desktop)
It adds a small amount of latency (10ms) but practically eliminates all stuttering - so the experience is much smoother.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

For anyone who loved the old Capcom 194X games, this actually looks super cool. 16 levels that alternate from top down perspective to a first person perspective.

store.steampowered.com

1976 - Back to midway on Steam

Are you ready to travel back in time to 1943 and relive the excitement of classic arcade dogfights? Now, thanks to Virtual Reality, you’re about to discover a new level of immersion and spectacularity, while retaining the original essence and fun.

I think the dev said they're trying to get it on the Quest store and that's the delay right now with being listed on the Rift site (cross-platform).