• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
I've had my Quest on backorder for a couple of weeks, and should arrive finally on Friday. Are there any good collected resources on setting up all the basics like Virtual Desktop, video viewing, and setting up and optimising wireless networking? OP doesn't seem to have much. I imagine it is scattered through the thread, but maybe there is a convenient website or Youtube channel to reference?
I would love to know this as well

This is a good guide:https://darkuni.medium.com/quest-newbie-the-ultimate-beginners-guide-to-virtual-desktop-9796427cdd0c

A more in-depth guide for wireless settings:https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQues...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
So it turns out my GF and I happened to buy each other a Quest 2 for Christmas. Is it feasible to have two headsets running virtual desktop on one network?
If one of you link up to the computer and use the PC version you can. You also may be able to if you have both Quest set up using the same account set in the Virtual PC desktop host.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
Eleven Table Tennis is real good. I signed up for the beta version to try 90 hz and it really helps. Though honestly it still use more, almost makes me long for an Index with 144hz support. It's just such a fast paced game you need every frame. Fingers Crossed, Carmack bring that 120hz to the Quest 2!

Is this the only sports game that trying to simulate the real thing? I guess Walkabout Mini Golf might count, but I can't think of any others.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Another night of Alyx testing. Tonight I was getting constant stuttering every 2-5 seconds in both VD and using Link.

I dropped the SS down to it's minimum, set it to 72hz, and still got the same stuttering using Link.

After doing more googling, I'm reading that the latest few versions of the Nvidia driver cause stuttering in Steam VR games. It is apparently effecting the 3x series the most.

Is anyone here using a 3x series to play Alyx? Are you getting intermittent stutters?

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
Another night of Alyx testing. Tonight I was getting constant stuttering every 2-5 seconds in both VD and using Link.

I dropped the SS down to it's minimum, set it to 72hz, and still got the same stuttering using Link.

After doing more googling, I'm reading that the latest few versions of the Nvidia driver cause stuttering in Steam VR games. It is apparently effecting the 3x series the most.

Is anyone here using a 3x series to play Alyx? Are you getting intermittent stutters?

In the virtual desktop discord a lot of people complain of stuttering and to go back to old drivers, but that's not an option on the 3000 series. I would also recommend to opt into the steamvr beta and the oculus software beta. It seems to help.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. Honestly, I've not been a fan of Nvidia drivers ever since I got into VR. When I find a driver that's not broken in some way, I stick with it until I have a real good reason to upgrade. I feel like Nvidia has added tons of worthless features at the expense of caring about the meat and potatoes they used to be so good at.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
What's a good strap and case that you can actually buy?
I'm using the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap combined with a FrankenQuest 2 Adapter from Business Company VR (3 3D-printed pieces of plastic really) and the comfort is so good. The Vive strap is available everywhere but the adapters is only on the creator's website.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
So it turns out my GF and I happened to buy each other a Quest 2 for Christmas. Is it feasible to have two headsets running virtual desktop on one network?

You mean each running off a separate computer? If you don't mind spending 50 dollars or so, you could just buy a cheap router and set up a couple access points. An access point dedicated to each Quest. I don't think it'd be great from a network congestion POV to have each be transmitting to a single router, but I don't see why an AP for each Quest couldn't work well. Just give them wifi channels that aren't interfering with each other.

Eleven Table Tennis is real good. I signed up for the beta version to try 90 hz and it really helps. Though honestly it still use more, almost makes me long for an Index with 144hz support. It's just such a fast paced game you need every frame. Fingers Crossed, Carmack bring that 120hz to the Quest 2!

Is this the only sports game that trying to simulate the real thing? I guess Walkabout Mini Golf might count, but I can't think of any others.

Because of the rendering costs and not really noticing the difference between 120 and 144hz, I keep my Index at 120hz. There are a number of scenarios where 120hz really shines. Eleven Table Tennis is the poster child for what 120hz does. It's pretty magical playing Eleven Tennis @120hz. Freakishly realistic to be more concise.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You mean each running off a separate computer? If you don't mind spending 50 dollars or so, you could just buy a cheap router and set up a couple access points. An access point dedicated to each Quest. I don't think it'd be great from a network congestion POV to have each be transmitting to a single router, but I don't see why an AP for each Quest couldn't work well. Just give them wifi channels that aren't interfering with each other

Thanks! Although now that I think about it more, I can't really imagine a scenario where we would both be needing virtual desktop at the same time. If we are both playing a game that requires full movement at the same time, we'd need 1 person in the office and 1 in another room due to limited space in the office, and that 1 person in the office could just be using the link cable while the other uses VD.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Saber native in the Quest 2, what Audio Latency setting have some of you settled on?

With the new update i find I'm completely whiffing lots of blocks😬

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Any decent VR mods out there that aren't as well known? I see the GTA R.E.A.L. mod which I may fiddle with, and I already got the amazing Alien Isolation one, but wondering if there's other games with added VR support via mods?

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Updated to the new VD version and the performance screen is very handy! However the resolution of the steam vr menus is now incredibly low, so low I can't even read them. The games themselves look fine though.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Not sure why they're subjecting Oculus Support with more traffic since literally everyone who purchased earlier falls under those dates. Even if you purchased the moment it went live, you hit those dates.

Think I'll wait a little bit and see if they streamline things. I think it's clear they just did this because of the whiners and don't really want to do this. PR to shut the Reddit whiners up. Otherwise they could have just changed a couple entitlement checks and had this done automatically (since everyone is now technically eligible).

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017

Not sure why they're subjecting Oculus Support with more traffic since literally everyone who purchased earlier falls under those dates. Even if you purchased the moment it went live, you hit those dates.

Think I'll wait a little bit and see if they streamline things. I think it's clear they just did this because of the whiners and don't really want to do this. PR to shut the Reddit whiners up. Otherwise they could have just changed a couple entitlement checks and had this done automatically (since everyone is now technically eligible).

Yea, this is all a bit convoluted. Worst part is I have two quests on a single purchase order, so we'll see how they give me trouble getting it activated on both accounts.

I just opened a support ticket, but I think you can email [email protected] to make it easier. Attach the PDF of the order.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
Yea, this is all a bit convoluted. Worst part is I have two quests on a single purchase order, so we'll see how they give me trouble getting it activated on both accounts.

I just opened a support ticket, but I think you can email [email protected] to make it easier. Attach the PDF of the order.
Im not sure where my actual receipt is but hopefully a screenshot of the charge at Walmart the same day it was activated will suffice. Like everyone said- if I have a quest 2 I bought it during the time

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
So glad they made it right. Sent an email now to support.
Its weird that they can't just add it to your account when you connect the link cable :\

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA

Ah, this is great. Shame I have to go through support, but I opened a ticket anyway. I missed the promo by a single day, so I'm glad they extended it.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Support on reddit said send an email with a PDF of your invoice, they still wanted me to reply with my username, serial number and order number lol.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Support on reddit said send an email with a PDF of your invoice, they still wanted me to reply with my username, serial number and order number lol.

Same. All for a free game that they could toggle in a database for all quest 2 owners. They have all this information already. Sanzaru is owned by Facebook now, I can't imagine they have any royalties to pay for this game.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
I've been playing around with my Quest 2 the past few days and the best way I can describe it is that it's gosh dang magical. I understand that this is not an enthusiast headset like the Vive or Index but I do believe this is the best headset for the masses. Coming from the Oculus CV1 this is a vast improvement in every way. From the passthrough, to the "headphones", to the handtracking, to the fact that it's wireless, everything about this is geared towards a seamless, user friendly experience. I sorta fell off the VR bandwagon after having my CV1 for a bit because I just hated the setup, wired limitations, and being confined to one playspace but the Quest 2 has pretty much shattered almost every limitation that dampened my excitement for VR. It's also much clearer and smoother than I remember the CV1 being. All in all this is the most interesting piece of tech I've bought in a long time and I can say that I'm definitely excited for VR again!

Last edited:

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA

Same. It took me 20 min to figure out where to find the serial number, since the instructions on Oculus' site are actually really vague. Ended up just logging into the Oculus app and grabbing the serial number from the devices section.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The Thrill Of The Fight is a pretty serious attempt at teaching people about boxing.

Agi

Jun 26, 2020
I just had my first experience with Oculus Link via playing HL Alyx, I thought I'm used to VR by now but smooth locomotion made me briefly physically ill. Should I push through and get used to it? I dislike teleportation.

Otherwise what a magical experience, super immersive! Feels like a 6yo's first trip to Disney World.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
I just had my first experience with Oculus Link via playing HL Alyx, I thought I'm used to VR by now but smooth locomotion made me briefly physically ill. Should I push through and get used to it? I dislike teleportation.

Otherwise what a magical experience, super immersive! Feels like a 6yo's first trip to Disney World.
Nah, don't push yourself if you feel it coming on. If you feel sick, the sooner you stop the better.

Here are some tips and training wheels for getting VR legs:

Enable comfort vignette (Alyx doesn't have one unfortunately)
Disable smooth artificial turning
Eat ginger candy
Get OpenVR Advanced Settings and force the Chaperone grid to always on, to serve as a static reference.
Try HMD-orientation-based locomotion instead of controller.
Try to stay still while you're locomoting. If you need to take a step to correct your placement in your play area, let off on the stick locomotion first.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I've been loving VD, for the most part it works great.
It stutters like crazy playing the walking dead tho.
Is it likely my graphics card considering every other game works fine?
I have a GTX 1070

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Put in my request ticket for my free copy of asgard's wrath and those e-mail conversations are just plain weird. Like they keep referencing my "concern" but it is just me trying to use this promotion. Is it just them having to use certain words because their manual says they need to even though it doesn't fit the situation in this case at all?

I have a GTX 1070

For me the walking dead stuttered so much it was unplayable. But then i tried to boot it through steam VR (so not through the games tab in VD but manually boot steam vr first) and it was smooth as butter. I restarted steam and then launched it through the games tab and it was also smooth suddenly. I have an 970 so your gpu is definitely enough.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
For me the walking dead stuttered so much it was unplayable. But then i tried to boot it through steam VR (so not through the games tab in VD but manually boot steam vr first) and it was smooth as butter. I restarted steam and then launched it through the games tab and it was also smooth suddenly. I have an 970 so your gpu is definitely enough.
lol what

Okay I'll give it a shot :D

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone here gotten Asgard's Wrath added to their account yet? I sent the initial support ticket, then the second one they requested last night, and now nothing.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I got one reply from CS, sent them my info and serial number, then got another email with no additional info and nothing since.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I have a GTX 1070
The new performance overlay in Virtual Desktop should give you an idea of where the problem is coming from.
It tells you if a game is dropping below 90 FPS (or your target) and whether latency is coming from the game, network, encoding, or decoding.
Encoding/decoding should be fine using HEVC on a 1070 and Quest 2.
If you're getting high network latency - over 10ms or so - you should probably lower the bit-rate or see what can be done about your network conditions.
If the frame rate is low or the game latency is high (it changes color) then you need to turn down the game settings.

There's a new buffered video option in the latest update which really helped smooth things out, in place of the high latency mode.
Buffered video added 10ms while high latency mode added 20ms, and buffered video does more to smooth things out. High latency mode is targeted more toward tracking issues.

lol what
If a game is listed in Virtual Desktop's "Game" tab, you should always launch there, rather than Steam VR.
My understanding is that Virtual Desktop has some game-specific optimizations, or handles running a game differently than regular VR.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
lol what

I wonder if some kind of SteamVR update has broken things. I booted up Dolphin (played through Steam's VD and Link) and my 1070 was pegged at 100% utilization and running like crap while playing Gamecube's Mario Golf. Like 45fps with severe dips on shots and stuff. This is a pretty lightweight game as far as Dolphin is concerned. I haven't had any issues with Dolphin since I ditched my Intel 3570k for a 2700. It's running like trash, now, however.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Got my Quest 2 today. This tech is freakin amazing. Coming from PSVR, the freedom Quest 2 offers is just incredible. Already sent the extra mile for SideQuest and looked into Pokémon VR briefly. Besides that I bought Robo Recall and checked out some Demo versions.
Do you have some recommendations for me? Thanks :)