• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just tried this and holy shit my arms are killing me.

Stick with it. When BoxVR evolved into FitXR (which started requiring much more velocity and technical accuracy to maintain a streak/combo), I couldn't even do a streak of 100 explosive punches. Eight minutes melted me into jelly.

Tonight I did 1,949 in a row. I missed one punch/squat/dodge out of 2,178 total in a 20 minute workout. Most nights I do at least 30 minutes, though I do usually take breaks in between 10-15 minute routines. My longest single workout is 45 minutes continuous. You can do it.

Also, stretch your legs first with a long two minute squat. Ass to the grass.

Last edited:

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Be sure to post your first impressions!
Happy to!

Some of you VR veterans will have to bear with me, as my impressions will be partly impressions of the Quest 2, and partly impressions of VR in its current state.

(for context, I live in a very tiny Japanese apartment, so for now, I have the Quest 2 set up for sitting.)

My Quest 2 arrived this morning before work, so I popped it open, unpacked it, and set the whole thing up. The setup with both my gaming PC and my smartphone was pretty painless. (the only thing that was kind of a pain was putting in my wifi password, since I don't have that memorized, and I live alone, so I had no one to read it to me lol).

Loading it up and adjusting the lenses took a bit, and I noticed that it wasn't just the IPD, but the position of the headset on my face that I needed to get right. It didn't take long, though, and I was ready to go fairly quickly.

As soon as I get to the dashboard, I found myself in a Japanese ryokan as an environment. I don't know if this is because I'm based in Japan that it defaults to that, but it made a really beautiful first impression. Providing this really open, warm, beautiful space is a really good first impression. Navigating the menus was really intuitive, and I was flipping through menus and exploring what was available almost immediately.

I took the Oculus' recommendation, and started with First Steps. The little toys on the table to interact with immediately help you understand what kinds of things you can do with your Oculus Touch controllers. I pulled out the dance cart, slammed it into the deck, and began that section. I absolutely loved it. Moving my hands around like a big idiot, grabbing the robot's hands and dancing with them was just a ton of fun, and my head was filling with the incredible possibilities of VR interaction. I felt stupid as hell, but was having so much fun with it, I just didn't care.

Okay, First Steps gives me a good idea of possibilities. Let's check out some recommended games. Super Hot. I've played a lot of that game on PC. Let's check it out in VR.

In the same way the original Super Hot made me feel like a god of time dilation, Super Hot VR just makes it that much more real. Dodging around bullets, grabbing guns out of the air, tossing ashtrays at enemies, it all feels incredible. I really like that the hitbox seems to be just my head, so I don't have to worry about how I'm twisting my body to avoid incoming fire.

At this point I had to head to work, so I plugged the headset into my Oculus Link, bought a couple Oculus games (Stormland and Robo Recall), and will return to the unit tonight for more extended play.

So far, I'm really really digging it.

The only problems I'm having:

1) I have very long eyelashes, and they brush against the lenses. I have the same problem with sunglasses, so it's to be expected. I'm thinking I might put the glasses spacer into the unit to alleviate that issue.

2) I'm noticing bleed when looking at white text on dark backgrounds, but it sounds like this is an issue everyone has. I largely have very good vision, but suffered from a micro aneurysm a couple years ago that permanently affected a very tiny portion of the vision in my right eye. It's not noticeable in everyday life, but I was very worried that it would cause problems with VR. I haven't noticed any issues in that regard.

TRS8088

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welp I'm one of those who had a Reverb G2 pre-order but canceled it today. Didn't feel right to pay that much for a headset that would have worse tracking than my CV1 + 3 sensors, which was near perfect. So I ordered a Quest 2 and will be here today (Friday). I'm already in the Oculus ecosystem and sadly I can't dump Facebook at the moment so hey, may as well try it out. Curious to see if my setup can do the PC wireless stuff, but even if I have to use the cable the screen resolution should be a good upgrade. Looking forward to it.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
That looks so much like the PSVR which I love the fit of. Looking forward to impressions
I'm using it and the only issue I have is the part connecting to the headset move around a bit and there doesn't seem to have a way to lock it in place (that I'm aware of. There's no guide so I just put it together by the way I think was right) so sometimes the left and the right side won't align making the headset shift to one side. Other than that, it just feels like PSVR, which is great.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Stick with it. When BoxVR evolved into FitXR (which started requiring much more velocity and technical accuracy to maintain a streak/combo), I couldn't even do a streak of 100 explosive punches. Eight minutes melted me into jelly.

Tonight I did 1,949 in a row. I missed one punch/squat/dodge out of 2,178 total in a 20 minute workout. Most nights I do at least 30 minutes, though I do usually take breaks in between 10-15 minute routines. My longest single workout is 45 minutes continuous. You can do it.

have you lost weight doing this?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the idea of FitXR/BoxVR, find it fun, but I have a problem making myself play it because of the whole standing sideways and punching straight - the requirement to stand sideways while doing it hurts after not much time.

So my fitness routine cycles between Beat Saber, Space Pirate Trainer (play it for 45 minutes in room-scale, you'll get exercise), and VZFit Explorer. That last one is great, it's a VR bicycle game that works with any exercise bike, you just need a bluetooth cadence thing that you strap to a pedal. You are biking through Google Street View, the app warps the image to be 3D and have smooth motion, you can bike almost anywhere that Street View has been captured.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched The Boys season finale through Amazon Video VR and.... I loved it? The experience, I mean. Thought it'd be cheesy to watch shows with the headset, but the resolution is good enough, I can plug in my Sennheiser headphones, and it genuinely feels like I'm watching on a big screen. I've got a 55' 4K TV available, too, but I dunno I kind of like the intimacy of VR

We'll see if I make a habit of this

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it in some games I can set the VD bit rate up to 200, and others it only lets me put it up to like 37-38?

The examples being HL:Alyx allows me to put the bit rate up to 200, but playing Phasmophobia it only lets me put it up to 38.

Are you sure you're looking at the right settings? On the "Streaming" sub-menu, it's for VR and I think you can go up to 140. But on the main menu, which is "desktop" streaming, that caps out around 30 something.

Happy to!

Some of you VR veterans will have to bear with me, as my impressions will be partly impressions of the Quest 2, and partly impressions of VR in its current state.

(for context, I live in a very tiny Japanese apartment, so for now, I have the Quest 2 set up for sitting.)

My Quest 2 arrived this morning before work, so I popped it open, unpacked it, and set the whole thing up. The setup with both my gaming PC and my smartphone was pretty painless. (the only thing that was kind of a pain was putting in my wifi password, since I don't have that memorized, and I live alone, so I had no one to read it to me lol).

Loading it up and adjusting the lenses took a bit, and I noticed that it wasn't just the IPD, but the position of the headset on my face that I needed to get right. It didn't take long, though, and I was ready to go fairly quickly.

As soon as I get to the dashboard, I found myself in a Japanese ryokan as an environment. I don't know if this is because I'm based in Japan that it defaults to that, but it made a really beautiful first impression. Providing this really open, warm, beautiful space is a really good first impression. Navigating the menus was really intuitive, and I was flipping through menus and exploring what was available almost immediately.

I took the Oculus' recommendation, and started with First Steps. The little toys on the table to interact with immediately help you understand what kinds of things you can do with your Oculus Touch controllers. I pulled out the dance cart, slammed it into the deck, and began that section. I absolutely loved it. Moving my hands around like a big idiot, grabbing the robot's hands and dancing with them was just a ton of fun, and my head was filling with the incredible possibilities of VR interaction. I felt stupid as hell, but was having so much fun with it, I just didn't care.

Okay, First Steps gives me a good idea of possibilities. Let's check out some recommended games. Super Hot. I've played a lot of that game on PC. Let's check it out in VR.

In the same way the original Super Hot made me feel like a god of time dilation, Super Hot VR just makes it that much more real. Dodging around bullets, grabbing guns out of the air, tossing ashtrays at enemies, it all feels incredible. I really like that the hitbox seems to be just my head, so I don't have to worry about how I'm twisting my body to avoid incoming fire.

At this point I had to head to work, so I plugged the headset into my Oculus Link, bought a couple Oculus games (Stormland and Robo Recall), and will return to the unit tonight for more extended play.

So far, I'm really really digging it.

The only problems I'm having:

1) I have very long eyelashes, and they brush against the lenses. I have the same problem with sunglasses, so it's to be expected. I'm thinking I might put the glasses spacer into the unit to alleviate that issue.

2) I'm noticing bleed when looking at white text on dark backgrounds, but it sounds like this is an issue everyone has. I largely have very good vision, but suffered from a micro aneurysm a couple years ago that permanently affected a very tiny portion of the vision in my right eye. It's not noticeable in everyday life, but I was very worried that it would cause problems with VR. I haven't noticed any issues in that regard.

Oculus supposedly starts their Black Friday sale today. So those two games might go on sale. Might wanna hold off on putting too much time into them (if you're interested in refunding them for any savings).

I wish I could get that close to the lenses. I also have really long eye lashes, but can't get any where near touching the lens:( And nobody is selling smaller face plates right now. The closer you can get, the higher your FOV. Sounds like the glasses spacer would get you into a perfect spot.

Last edited:

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Just watched The Boys season finale through Amazon Video VR and.... I loved it? The experience, I mean. Thought it'd be cheesy to watch shows with the headset, but the resolution is good enough, I can plug in my Sennheiser headphones, and it genuinely feels like I'm watching on a big screen. I've got a 55' 4K TV available, too, but I dunno I kind of like the intimacy of VR

We'll see if I make a habit of this

It's great. Watching in VR is one of my personal favourite uses of the headset. Bigscreen added in the ability to stream from a plex server and it works well.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Asking again-

Does Virtual Desktop have Asynchronous Space Warp when using a wireless Quest 2? If not, is there a way to enable it?

I've been messing with pressing the ctrl-1 - ctrl-4 keys to enable/disable it and it seems to do nothing when using VD...

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
Asking again-

Does Virtual Desktop have Asynchronous Space Warp when using a wireless Quest 2? If not, is there a way to enable it?

I've been messing with pressing the ctrl-1 - ctrl-4 keys to enable/disable it and it seems to do nothing when using VD...

I just asked in the Official VD Discord and they said "No, just time warp"

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
So basically if you fall under 90hz you are going to get bad stutter when using VD. That's a pretty big deal.

None of these solutions are really ideal IMO. Best solution has always been to try and find settings that'll keep you always above. Whether that's turning down render resolution/in-game settings/both.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Also, how do I get the Oculus Debug Tool performance stats to show up in the Quest 2 when running VD?

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
So new Quest 2 owners from today to end of the month(?) get free Asgard Wrath, preorder guys and the rest, get fucked I guess...

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
New VD Patch:
Mobile version 1.18.0 - Release Notes @everyone You can install this update through your library on your headset. If you don't see the (Sideloaded) mention next to the version number in VR, install the patch through SideQuest. The Streamer will auto-update itself when you connect to your computer. You'll need the Oculus Rift Software installed to play your VR games. Get it here: https://www.oculus.com/rift/setup/
• Added new Modern Apartment environments • Added Performance overlay option in the Streaming tab
• Added Reset to defaults button in the Streaming tab
• Reduced latency when streaming VR games
• Displayed VR latency is now more accurate and represents the total motion-to-photon latency
• Virtual desktop microphone no longer gets disabled on disconnect
• Fixed game compatibility with: Stormland, The Climb, Star Wars: Squadrons (Steam), Hellblade, Rez Infinite, Bigscreen (Steam), Pulsar Lost Colony, Propagation VR

Not all games will work, please check the compatibility list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...uWaxMeFxjWjihKtRjFGpd-nFY/edit#gid=2101885392 Additional Notes You can launch games that aren't part of your Oculus or Steam library by right-clicking the Streamer icon in the system tray, selecting "Launch Game..." and locating the executable. Alternatively, you can inject games through a batch file (.bat) by using: "C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "[ExecutablePath]"

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
New VD Patch:
Mobile version 1.18.0 - Release Notes @everyone You can install this update through your library on your headset. If you don't see the (Sideloaded) mention next to the version number in VR, install the patch through SideQuest. The Streamer will auto-update itself when you connect to your computer. You'll need the Oculus Rift Software installed to play your VR games. Get it here: https://www.oculus.com/rift/setup/
• Added new Modern Apartment environments • Added Performance overlay option in the Streaming tab
• Added Reset to defaults button in the Streaming tab
• Reduced latency when streaming VR games
• Displayed VR latency is now more accurate and represents the total motion-to-photon latency
• Virtual desktop microphone no longer gets disabled on disconnect
• Fixed game compatibility with: Stormland, The Climb, Star Wars: Squadrons (Steam), Hellblade, Rez Infinite, Bigscreen (Steam), Pulsar Lost Colony, Propagation VR

Not all games will work, please check the compatibility list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...uWaxMeFxjWjihKtRjFGpd-nFY/edit#gid=2101885392 Additional Notes You can launch games that aren't part of your Oculus or Steam library by right-clicking the Streamer icon in the system tray, selecting "Launch Game..." and locating the executable. Alternatively, you can inject games through a batch file (.bat) by using: "C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "[ExecutablePath]"

To further expand on this:

Guy says that although the numbers may now appear higher (more accurate in motion-to-photon readings), this update is actually a reduction of about 1 frame of latency (10ms).

Killer update all around.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Oct 16, 2020
Dumb question. I'm trying to play the steam version of I expect You To Die, and the controls for moving objects closer or further isn't working. It treats the sticks like a track pad, can't think of a work around.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I tried Squadrons again last night after my Quest 2 finally got an update and it still wont run higher than 60 fps with Link. I create a custom resolution in Windows for 90fps, but the settings in the game only go as high as 60fps.

This was supposed to be fixed.

EliVilla

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
USA
www.roadtovr.com

Oculus Extends Free 'Asgard's Wrath' Offer to All Quest 2 Owners Until January 31st, 2021

Oculus announced late last week that, starting on November 20th, new Quest 2 owners would be able to download the award-winning PC VR title Asgard’s Wrath (2019) for free until January 31st, 2021. Following public outcry from early customers who were inexplicably locked out of the promotion...
Yeah looked it up. Kinda lame that on release there wasn't even a sale or anything but you get a free game months later? 😭

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Dumb question. I'm trying to play the steam version of I expect You To Die, and the controls for moving objects closer or further isn't working. It treats the sticks like a track pad, can't think of a work around.

So random. All of that works for me, but I can't get the left controller to click. Which means I can't exit out of the tutorial level. I was asking somebody on Reddit about this game with Steam, and they had zero issues. It seems like we're all getting different experiences. I can see one thing being broken, but it's like everybody has something that's unique to them.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hopeful that they'll at least put Asgard's Wrath on a solid discount for black friday.

I'm not really surprised they're doing this deal...it happens all the time on new products to early adopters. Watch Dogs: Legion is already half off, the list goes on and on.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hopeful that they'll at least put Asgard's Wrath on a solid discount for black friday.

I'm not really surprised they're doing this deal...it happens all the time on new products to early adopters. Watch Dogs: Legion is already half off, the list goes on and on.

They also did the same thing last year. Quest holiday buyers got the Star Wars episodes while the launch buyers got nothing.

atamize

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't work intuitively for me, but eventually I found that flicking the thumbstick up brings the object as close as possible and flicking it down shoots it far out, which is good enough for most situations.

Oct 16, 2020
It doesn't work intuitively for me, but eventually I found that flicking the thumbstick up brings the object as close as possible and flicking it down shoots it far out, which is good enough for most situations.

Thanks, I'll try this, at least I know there's no option I'm missing.
So random. All of that works for me, but I can't get the left controller to click. Which means I can't exit out of the tutorial level. I was asking somebody on Reddit about this game with Steam, and they had zero issues. It seems like we're all getting different experiences. I can see one thing being broken, but it's like everybody has something that's unique to them.

Very odd. With Oculus being the most mainstream you'd think games would go out of the way to accommodate it's users.

Rawz

Dec 18, 2018
Thanks, I'll try this, at least I know there's no option I'm missing.

Very odd. With Oculus being the most mainstream you'd think games would go out of the way to accommodate it's users.
Yeh have the same issue, apparently it's a virtual desktop problem. Supposed to work properly with link in oculus vr mode on startup.

Beastlove

Nov 1, 2017
Bought one of these today as I am very unlikely to get a ps5 this side of 2022 with current supply issues. Can someone recommend a few games to start.? Ideally family fun games, puzzles etc

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Bought one of these today as I am very unlikely to get a ps5 this side of 2022 with current supply issues. Can someone recommend a few games to start.? Ideally family fun games, puzzles etc

The Room VR is a very cool puzzle game. Makes you use your brain for sure.

Beat Saber is also very good if you like rhythm games and have room to swing about.

Specific for kids, i downloaded The Curious Case of the Missing Pets. The game is stationary and you move tiny worlds around. Its great to teach them the idea of how VR works, plus its cool when they start finding the pets.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
www.roadtovr.com

Oculus Extends Free 'Asgard's Wrath' Offer to All Quest 2 Owners Until January 31st, 2021

Oculus announced late last week that, starting on November 20th, new Quest 2 owners would be able to download the award-winning PC VR title Asgard’s Wrath (2019) for free until January 31st, 2021. Following public outcry from early customers who were inexplicably locked out of the promotion...
UUuuuh, wait, I got mine yesterday. So because I got mine a day early, I don't apply? HAHAH T_T

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Just send it back and reorder?

This is why it's so utterly stupid this year. The thing launched just over 1 month ago. Almost everyone (who didn't buy directly from Oculus) is eligible for returns through January 31st. This online return culture is an environmental catastrophe and they seem to be encouraging it with such a stupid tactic. I know I won't be returning mine and it ticks me off that Amazon will be sending a bunch of these to the bin over this.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
This is why it's so utterly stupid this year. The thing launched just over 1 month ago. Almost everyone (who didn't buy directly from Oculus) is eligible for returns through January 31st. This online return culture is an environmental catastrophe and they seem to be encouraging it with such a stupid tactic. I know I won't be returning mine and it ticks me off that Amazon will be sending a bunch of these to the bin over this.

I'm willing to bet the offer is tied to when you activate your Quest 2. So if you already activated it you won't be able to return it to get the offer.

Unless you make a new FB account for the new headset you get back after the return.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I'm not going to do that over one game (one that's regularly priced at less than $60 no less). It's crappy that this happened, but not THAT crappy.
You can always give customer support a try, microcenter is really good about things like that, I remember getting a 3800X and they literally slashed the price 5 days later, just brought in my receipt and got the difference refunded. But as someone mentioned if it's tied to the FB activation itself it could be useless.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I've done some pretty extensive testing with VD and Squadrons on my Quest 2.

My system:
i7 7700
16 gig RAM
Computer connected to ether to router
Quest 2 connected by 5G to router
Latest version of VD released today

I've tried the following:

Lowering the steam super sampling to 75%.
Lowering all graphics options in the game to lowest (regular and VR detail both set to "low)
Lowering VD "graphics quality" to low.
Game bit rate all the way from 60 up to 130 in 10 degree steps.

And even doing all of that, I can not eliminate stutter when turning my ship.

VD's framerate counter constantly shows 90 fps. The bit rate readouts next to it are all below 10, but the Game one spikes up as high as 13.

I have no idea how you are supposed to get rid of stutters in this game.

Soulstoner

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I've done some pretty extensive testing with VD and Squadrons on my Quest 2.

My system:
i7 7700
16 gig RAM

Lowering all graphics options in the game to lowest (regular and VR detail both set to "low)

VD's framerate counter constantly shows 90 fps. The bit rate readouts next to it are all below 10, but the Game one spikes up as high as 13.

The game is equally amazing as it is frustrating to play in VR. Such a missed opportunity.

3080 with an Index and can't get it stable either.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I have an odd question. If i buy walkabout mini-golf which is Quest only, is there a way of displaying it on my PC so the family can watch as we take turns? Something thats fullscreen and not distorted.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I have an odd question. If i buy walkabout mini-golf which is Quest only, is there a way of displaying it on my PC so the family can watch as we take turns? Something thats fullscreen and not distorted.
The Quest has the ability to cast to Chromecast devices, or your phone, or to a Chrome tab in a web browser. So you're good, just open up the "sharing" menu.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

Does it involve a lot of squats? Or is it entirely an upper body workout?

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Star Wars Galaxy's Edge looks surprisingly good on Quest 1. Muddier textures sure, but the art style does a good job of hiding that. Some of the environments have a surprising amount of verticality too them. Starting out the window in the beginning at the Falcon and what is technically the Smuggler's Run ride was bitter sweet with Disneyland being closed and likely not opening anytime soon.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Just checked out the v23 update earlier, those extra frames in Alyx are so nice. Its interesting how perceived IQ increases with fps, everything seemed crisper.

I tried out Galaxy's Edge and while polished and much more of a game than Vader Immortal the lower res textures took me out of it more than I expected. Guess that's what I get for only using Quest 2 with Virtual Desktop :P

I really hope Oculus doesn't lower funding for the PC ports of Quest titles going forwards, I need some extra detail in my VR games at this point. Also here's hoping this doesn't happen to Lone Echo II as I know at least one poster here speculated, being re-developed from the ground up for Quest 2.

Agi

Jun 26, 2020
About Asgard's Wrath, how is the game btw? Besides being in VR, what other rpgs does it compare to?

jwc13ac

Oct 30, 2017

My system:
i7 7700
16 gig RAM

I saw a Reddit post from the VD developer saying they made a lot of improvements, and Star Wars Squadrons was one of the games listed in improvements.

I'm planning on trying today with link and VD to see if it's any better. I got a 2080 with a 3600x so our builds are in the ballpark.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a Reddit post from the VD developer saying they made a lot of improvements, and Star Wars Squadrons was one of the games listed in improvements.

I'm planning on trying today with link and VD to see if it's any better. I got a 2080 with a 3600x so our builds are in the ballpark.

Yeah, all the tests I did are after installing the new patch for VD that came out yesterday.

Finally got a USB 3.0 cable and tested out Squadrons. It is 99% stutter free with all graphics on ultra and the headset set to 90hz mode.

So it seems like VD will stutter no matter what in Squadrons.