• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I should have waited on Saints and Sinners. Seems fun but only played just enough to get it out of the refund range. Then it shows up "free" with Viveport Infinity and now this.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry i canti undestand much. So what router or access point (router or access point?) Features i want for the item ill buy? Also what cable.i need for It? One LAN in PC and One Energy to Wall and thats It? Is It complicated to connect to my main router?

Try the Virtual Desktop Discord. I think they have a list of cheap recommended routers. I'm using a $50 dollar one and it works fine.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
From what's being posted on Reddit, it sounds like Quest 2 being jailbroken was a complete scam.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Now with both an Oculus unit without the characters, and a Target unit with, I can confirm that the Target unit has more flares/chromatic aberration, like people were saying. But what I hadn't heard before is, the Target unit has slightly brighter whites. I wonder if that's the real culprit. And I wonder what causes this variation in the white levels, and if it was an intentional move to reduce the distortions in some units, presumably mostly those sold directly by Oculus.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
It is as good as Alyx?

Much different focus. Not nearly as good visuals but the core loop feels a lot more dynamic. Alyx is a lot more linear, S&S is a multitude of different instanced areas of New Orleans as a setting where militia and zombie populations can shift with each day in the game's clock. You're infiltrating bases, fending off hordes of zombies, with a light but decent story arc. It personally made more of an impression on me than Alyx because of how engaging and open to experimentation the sandbox gameplay affords. You can solve missions in different ways, can kill any npc, and navigating certain areas can feel like a puzzle. It's one of the better VR games out there imo.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Man, Robo Recall is amazing. Wish i'd heard about it sooner. VR needs more straight arcade style games from what I've seen.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I'm thinking of selling mine as I'm not really playing it and with the launch of the new consoles I'm not sure when I'll even pick it up again.

Any ideas what would be a fair price for the Unit, Elite Strap and the Fit Kit I still have all of the boxes etc. I'm in the UK.

Khar

Oct 27, 2017
My Facebook account issues got sorted in the end thankfully.

Overall, I am happy with the Quest 2. I'm an original Rift Kickstarter backer and have owned DK1, CV1, and Rift S.

Quest 2's panel is noticeably inherently sharper than the Rift S. Link will hopefully be improved soon on the PC side - the current beta bitrate options do help.

Virtual Desktop judders a lot through the 2.5ghz router in the room with my PC so I will have to purchase a new router to use that without feeling ill unfortunately.

I used to dismiss comments re: how much better wireless VR is. I would think to myself, oh the wire's nothing! Hardly noticeable. Now I see that being wire free is so much better. Standalone Beat Saber, Rez Infinite and Tetris Effect -- brilliant! Being able to turn on the headset and just play makes a big difference.

Two aspects of the Quest 2 are disappointing - black levels and god rays. Amazon Prime VR for example really shows up the greyness and poor contrast on the seats around you plus it's dark enough for the screen to blast out god rays. This is a shame as the Quest 2 is close to being high enough quality for me to use regularly for films or TV. It's a lot better than CV1 for god rays but they annoy me still.

I cancelled my pre-order for the Reverb G2 since I'm happy enough with the Quest 2 for the time being. Despite being a serial upgrader I don't need two new headsets. I'll put the money to one side and see what's available in a year.

Now that this generation of consoles are so much more powerful, PC graphics cards which can drive 4K are much more affordable plus DLSS and similar upscaling techniques are available it seems more hopeful that headset resolutions can begin to get pushed up higher and higher. I do want higher FOV too, however higher resolutions make a difference in gameplay. Being able to see things in the distance makes more games and gameplay types viable in VR for me. I remember trying American Truck Simulator on my CV1 and really liking the immersion of looking around the cab but as soon as I got into a natural driving eye position of looking down the road the resolution was just too low.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
The only game I've bought (outside of the sculpting programs I got for my wife) has been Apex Construct, and while it isn't mind blowing or amazing, everything about it is nice and well made.

In a weird way it feels like what Alyx would probably play like if ported to the Quest lol

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
90hz update dropped today. I wonder if I'll be lucky or unlucky with my que order.

EDIT: Snap, Link is running at 90hz too. I thought they announced at Facebook Connect that would be 2021 before Link got that.

The First Gift of the Season: Oculus Quest Update Adds Native 90Hz Support, a New Fitness Tracker, and More

At this year's Connect we teased various improvements to the Quest Platform, including a new system-level fitness tracker and support for 90Hz gaming on Quest 2—both natively and through Oculus Link. We’re excited to start rolling out those features with today’s v23 software update, which also...

Hope I'm not at the end of the line for this update.

Two aspects of the Quest 2 are disappointing - black levels and god rays. Amazon Prime VR for example really shows up the greyness and poor contrast on the seats around you plus it's dark enough for the screen to blast out god rays. This is a shame as the Quest 2 is close to being high enough quality for me to use regularly for films or TV. It's a lot better than CV1 for god rays but they annoy me still.

Does Amazon have a room lighting setting? Assuming your issue isn't defective lenses, I've found the best way to deal with the poor contrast is to turn up room lighting. In Skybox, for example, the seats are covered in "smoke" unless you turn room lighting to the max. Once you do that, however, the IQ is quite good. For 3D blu-rays, it's still lacks the pop that came with the Quest 1's insane contrast ratios, but it's really good for everything else.

Last edited:
Update v23 Available - 90hz / Fitness Tracker / More
OP
OP
CKOHLER

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
Oculus as announced the release of v23 of the system software that adds native 90hz for Oculus Link including additional settings for Link refresh rate and resolution, 90hz support for all native software and third party software that update to support it. Also adds integrated fitness tracking.

Full Details:

The First Gift of the Season: Oculus Quest Update Adds Native 90Hz Support, a New Fitness Tracker, and More

At this year's Connect we teased various improvements to the Quest Platform, including a new system-level fitness tracker and support for 90Hz gaming on Quest 2—both natively and through Oculus Link. We’re excited to start rolling out those features with today’s v23 software update, which also...

Oculus Move
  • From slashing boxes in Beat Saber to mowing down zombies in Arizona Sunshine, you can now keep track of the estimated calories you burn and how long you've been physically active across any app or game in VR with our new platform feature, Oculus Move
  • Oculus Move allows you to set daily goals and track progress based on estimated calories burned and time spent being physically active in VR.
  • Please note, Oculus Move is rolling out gradually starting next week, so some users may not see this feature right away.
Quest 2 Frame Rate
  • With this release, Quest 2 headsets can now run natively at 90 Hz by default. This higher frame rate has been shown to provide a smoother visual experience and improve your time spent in VR overall.
    • To start, system level software will run at 90 Hz. Additional app adoption is based on developer discretion. Developers will have full-access to this feature as part of the upcoming SDK release.
Voice Commands
  • You can now access your Voice Activity in your headset. This means that you'll be able to view, hear and delete your voice interactions while you're still in-VR. To manage your voice activity:
    • Put on your Quest or Quest 2 headset, then select Settings > Voice Commands > Activity Log
  • You'll still be able to access your Voice Activity from your mobile app or from the Oculus website as well.
Voice Dictation
  • Automatic punctuation: No more saying 'comma' or 'period' when you want to add punctuation to your dictation. In this release we've added automatic punctuation and capitalization to Voice Dictation, making it easier and more efficient to type with your voice.
    • As you speak, dictation will automatically fill in periods, commas, question marks and capitalization. Afterwards, you can give us a thumbs up or thumbs down to provide feedback on your experience.
      • Note: This experience will gradually roll out to English speaking users in the US & Canada.
  • Dictation from the Search bar: Voice Dictation will now be conveniently integrated within the Oculus search bar. Instead of triggering dictation from the keyboard, you can now quickly find it in the Search bar where your query will auto-submit so you can get your search result within seconds.
    • Note: This experience will gradually roll out to English speaking users in the US & Canada.
Voice Commands, Voice Dictation & Predictive Text availability
  • All three features will now be available to English speaking users in Canada.
    • Please note these features will be rolled out to English speaking users in Canada gradually over time.
Accessibility
  • To help improve the readability of text in-VR, you now have the option to adjust the font size for text that appears in your headset. To do this, select Settings > Device > Text Size.
Mobile App
  • We've updated the Oculus mobile app to allow you to seamlessly launch app content the next time you put on your headset. This means that the next time you see a challenge you want to join or an event you want to attend in the mobile app, you can save it and have it show up in your headset.
    • Please note this feature is currently an experiment and may not be available to all users at this time.
System
  • We've made software enhancements to both Quest and Quest 2 to reduce latency and improve your in-VR experience.
In-VR Experience
  • To help keep you comfortable from anywhere in VR, you can now grab and move both the keyboard and menu bar to a more optimal position for your situation.
  • With this release we've introduced the ability to complete additional tasks from within an app without having to return to your Home. This means that sending friend requests, sharing media, making in-app purchases and more can be completed without leaving your current app or experience.
    • Please note, this feature is dependent on developers implementing Focus Awareness and updating their SDK to v23.
  • We've also rolled out the new universal menu bar to all first-generation Quest headsets.
Education
  • We know it can be overwhelming for new users to enter VR for the first time, so we've created some new features to help. These include:
    • Getting to Know your Quest: A series of mini tutorial experiences to introduce you to the basics of VR.
    • Progress bar: See which tutorials you've completed and what you can do next.
    • Achievements: Just like your favorite apps and games, get achievements for completing tutorials and leveling up the time you spend in-VR.
      • Please note that these features are part of an experiment and may not be available to all users at this time.
Browser
  • You can now seamlessly upload and download files to and from your headset via Browser. Upload a video to YouTube, download photos from Dropbox, or share files via Google Docs, all without ever having to leave VR.
Bug Reporting
  • We've introduced the ability for you to let us know when something isn't working by reporting a bug. Bug reporting helps us recognize issues and make adjustments to improve your overall in-VR experience.
    • To report a bug, select Settings > About > Report a Bug or visit Quick Actions and select the Bug Reporter Icon.
    • Please note, the Bug Reporter is rolling out gradually, so some users may not see this feature right away.
    • Also please note, Oculus Support does not respond to bug submissions. If you need assistance, please contact our support team directly.
Quest apps on Quest 2
  • If you had a Quest headset and upgrade to a Quest 2, you'll now have the option to automatically download your previously downloaded apps from your Quest when you finish setting up your Quest 2.
    • Note: You can always re-download apps associated with your account on a new device, this specific update streamlines the process by surfacing the option to download multiple apps at the end of your Quest 2 setup.
Quest Display
  • We've improved the Pixel density for Quest, leading to improved image resolution.
    • This enhancement is for the first-generation Oculus Quest only.
Casting
  • Sharing what's happening in your headset just got even easier with web casting. With this update, we've enabled casting to oculus.com/casting on a desktop web browser such as Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge
  • When casting to the Oculus App on iOS and Android, you can now record what's being cast directly on the phone where it will save to the device's camera roll.
Fixes
  • We've made improvements to Guardian to reduce unintended drift or positional movement.
  • We've fixed a bug that caused some larger apps to fail to download.
  • We've fixed a bug that caused some headsets to go into sleep mode while actively watching video in media apps.

Last edited:

Rsinart

Oct 27, 2017
Well after a month I ended up returning my Quest 2 to Costco. Between the IPD not really feeling great as someone who had the quest 1 on 72, and I just felt the smaller size was really uncomfortable even with the fit pack and elite strap on. Kinda bummed cause I spent a good deal of money on apps, but I am gonna just wait it out till the next release in a few years.

Phionoxx

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Wow that's great news with the earlier than anticipated software update. I was just thinking about when Link would be updated to support 90hz natively. I'm excited to dive in to Alyx and other VR games through Link (and possibly VD if I can get it setup smoothly).

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't seem live fully yet? At least I can't update it.

The Oculus PC link app has updated, but it doesn't let me adjust refresh rate, just resolution, just sits at 72 hz with no other options

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Doesn't seem live fully yet? At least I can't update it.

The Oculus PC link app has updated, but it doesn't let me adjust refresh rate, just resolution, just sits at 72 hz with no other options
Quest does update rollouts. You might not get it till tomorrow at some point.

It's shitty but that's how they do their updates.

Boomchil

Nov 1, 2017
France
I bought Synth Riderz a few days ago as it was on sale on Rift (17€ if I remember correctly) and it's a crossbuy title.

And I must say it's awesome. I'm not really into modern pop songs and the Beat Saber OST is really off putting for me. Yes I know there is a ton of custom songs but on Quest it's still unofficial and I don't want my FB account to be banned, even though the risk is low.

Synth Riderz, on the other hand, has built-in custom songs support, but on top of that, a fan-fucking-tastic OST if you're into Synthwave.

Tell me songs like this don't make you wanna dance :

The game is challenging enough for me on hard, and I LOVE the 360 spin mode which makes you rotate while playing thanks to wireless VR.

Seriously, give it a try guys, it's super polished, with a lot of options and game modifiers to suit your play style. You won't regret it.

Edit : corrected links

Last edited:

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Alright guys, I am eager to play Half Life Alyx and about to pull the trigger since the price is freaking reasonable.
Of course I do not edxpect the experience you'd have with the pricey Valve Index - but is there anyone who can clue me in on what it is like?
Would you recommed getting the Quest 2?

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Alright guys, I am eager to play Half Life Alyx and about to pull the trigger since the price is freaking reasonable.
Of course I do not edxpect the experience you'd have with the pricey Valve Index - but is there anyone who can clue me in on what it is like?

I preferred playing Alyx on the Quest in comparison to my Index due to it being wireless.

You miss a little of the finger tracking stuff and it's not quiet as crisp, although honestly I could hardly tell.

This is taking into account of the fact I seem to have a perfect setup for Virtual Desktop and I'm not using the link cable.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are your computer specs and what's your home network like?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

I also agree with the other post. HL:A looks really good on Q2. And Touch controllers are great. Between the freedom of wireless and the lack of Index's glare, I find Q2 with VD to be way preferable to playing it. Got the game for free with my Index purchase, BTW.

I would take some of that money you save, though, and figure out what comfort mod you want to purchase. Because that's the biggie with Quest. Luckily there are numerous solutions for the end user.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
I preferred playing Alyx on the Quest in comparison to my Index due to it being wireless.

You miss a little of the finger tracking stuff and it's not quiet as crisp, although honestly I could hardly tell.

This is taking into account of the fact I seem to have a perfect setup for Virtual Desktop and I'm not using the link cable.
What are your computer specs and what's your home network like?
I also agree with the other post. HL:A looks really good on Q2. And Touch controllers are great. Between the freedom of wireless and the lack of Index's glare, I find Q2 with VD to be way preferable to playing it. Got the game for free with my Index purchase, BTW.

I would take some of that money you save, though, and figure out what comfort mod you want to purchase. Because that's the biggie with Quest. Luckily there are numerous solutions for the end user.

Thanks for the headsup so far. Sounds actually quiet promiosing.
Specs are as followed:
Intel® Core™ i7-10700F
512GB SSD + 1TB HDD
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 2060 Super
16GB Ram
I do have Gigabit LAN in my home, Router is a Fritzbox 7590.
Guess Virtual Desktop should work then?
Thanks for the help so far :)

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the headsup so far. Sounds actually quiet promiosing.
Specs are as followed:
Intel® Core™ i7-10700F
512GB SSD + 1TB HDD
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 2060 Super
16GB Ram
I do have Gigabit LAN in my home, Router is a Fritzbox 7590.
Guess Virtual Desktop should work then?
Thanks for the help so far :)

In my experience you will want to have your router in the same room you play the game in. I had it in my living room and moving it to my bedroom improved it a lot.

You should have a good experience via link cable at the very least, and VD will probably be a solid bet too.

Last edited:

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017

Yoo I bought the Quest exactly for Alyx too. Money well spent. I agree that you lose out on the finger tracking stuff from the Valve Index but it's totally fine on the Quest. I've tried it out a bit wirelessly which is awesome but need to optimize my setup a little bit to get my router closer and hook my PC up through ethernet to really make full use of it. The other caveat is that it's not as clear and sharp as I hoped it would be, cos I think the resolution when you use Oculus Link takes a hit, but seeing how Oculus isn't done with improving the firmware with, hopefully it'll be better as time goes on.

But yeah. It's immersive as fuck so far. And just a plain old top notch game. I'm currently taking a break from playing it cos so far it's the best game on VR and I don't wanna finish it yet lol. And definitely get Squadrons too! Some instances it's even more impressive than Alyx.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
In my experience you will want to have your router in the same room you play the game in. I had it in my living room and moving it to my bedroom improved it a lot.

You should have a good experience via link cable at the very least, and VD will probably be a solid bet too.
Yoo I bought the Quest exactly for Alyx too. Money well spent. I agree that you lose out on the finger tracking stuff from the Valve Index but it's totally fine on the Quest. I've tried it out a bit wirelessly which is awesome but need to optimize my setup a little bit to get my router closer and hook my PC up through ethernet to really make full use of it. The other caveat is that it's not as clear and sharp as I hoped it would be, cos I think the resolution when you use Oculus Link takes a hit, but seeing how Oculus isn't done with improving the firmware with, hopefully it'll be better as time goes on.

But yeah. It's immersive as fuck so far. And just a plain old top notch game. I'm currently taking a break from playing it cos so far it's the best game on VR and I don't wanna finish it yet lol. And definitely get Squadrons too! Some instances it's even more impressive than Alyx.

Yea, the PC would be connected via LAN (red circle). We recently moved in and I got CAT7 in the whole house.
The router is pretty far away tbh but I got a repeater right next to the room where I'd play. It is the AVM FRITZ! WLAN MEsh Repeater 2400 which has a wired connection (as you can see in the picture in the green circle).
HA9N0NA.jpg

I am coming from a PSVR, so I guess anything is an improvement qualitywise, isn't it? What is the purpose of finger tracking? Is it necessary?

Oct 30, 2017
I bought Synth Riderz a few days ago as it was on sale on Rift (17€ if I remember correctly) and it's a crossbuy title.

And I must say it's awesome. I'm not really into modern pop songs and the Beat Saber OST is really off putting for me. Yes I know there is a ton of custom songs but on Quest it's still unofficial and I don't want my FB account to be banned, even though the risk is low.

Synth Riderz, on the other hand, has built-in custom songs support, but on top of that, a fan-fucking-tastic OST if you're into Synthwave.

The game is challenging enough for me on hard, and I LOVE the 360 spin mode which makes you rotate while playing thanks to wireless VR.

Seriously, give it a try guys, it's super polished, with a lot of options and game modifiers to suit your play style. You won't regret it.

synth riders is really good. definitely my favourite out of the flood of post-beat saber VR rhythm games

TylerD

Oct 25, 2017
Had Quest 2 since launch. Only problem I have had is it usually takes multiple reboots or shutdowns and power ups for tracking to start to work. Not sure what's up with that and haven't looked too much into it online. Once it works it's fine until I shut it down again.

Been spending most of my time with BigScreen but have Beat Saber and Superhot VR. They are both great but by far my most favorite "experience" is Tetris Effect. I absolutely adore it and have played 8-10 hrs since buying it Thursday night. If you like Tetris and can be emotionally moved by music, I can't recommend it enough.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017

You win some and lose some as far as immersion goes.

+No Wires

-Uses a Grab Button instead of actually grabbing with your fingers

Ultimately there's no gameplay implications between HMDs as Valve's SteamVR standards ensure input compatibility between all PCVR systems.

Just remember, you need to buy Virtual Desktop and install the PCVR patch for it via SideQuest, which means you need to activate Dev Mode.

Phionoxx

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I'll give it some time for the update to come in OTA. Working through existing PC backlog at the moment but want to hold off until I've got the update before beginning Alyx or Saints & Sinners.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Had Quest 2 since launch. Only problem I have had is it usually takes multiple reboots or shutdowns and power ups for tracking to start to work. Not sure what's up with that and haven't looked too much into it online. Once it works it's fine until I shut it down again.

Been spending most of my time with BigScreen but have Beat Saber and Superhot VR. They are both great but by far my most favorite "experience" is Tetris Effect. I absolutely adore it and have played 8-10 hrs since buying it Thursday night. If you like Tetris and can be emotionally moved by music, I can't recommend it enough.
Take that thing back. I haven't had any issues with tracking.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California

I'd try doing a factory reset + update to latest system software if you haven't already - will require you to redownload your games and lose saves that aren't cloud saves but might get your Quest 2 into proper working order.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, Link is legit now. It's so sharp and crisp. And 90hz. I'm quite blown away by what they've managed to accomplish with this.

Has anyone been so lucky as to get the update today?

I force downloaded it through APB. But only because I knew how to do it because of a broken firmware on Quest 1. I never would have did it if I hadn't known how simple it was. I wouldn't call it simple, but it is once you understand the steps.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't tried a ton of Link games but Asgard's Wrath at least feels quite a bit smoother. Didn't neccessarily notice improved visuals but only had dipped in as a quick test.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
You win some and lose some as far as immersion goes.

+No Wires

-Uses a Grab Button instead of actually grabbing with your fingers

Ultimately there's no gameplay implications between HMDs as Valve's SteamVR standards ensure input compatibility between all PCVR systems.

Just remember, you need to buy Virtual Desktop and install the PCVR patch for it via SideQuest, which means you need to activate Dev Mode.

Just pulled the trigger. Will take some time however to get my hands on the headset since I ordered it on AMazon US and I am living in Germany. Unfortunately the headset is not sold over here. Only via eBay and they want almost double the regular price lol.
Now I am super excited to get back into VR, Half Life Alyx, Star Wars Squadrons here we go!

Zor

Oct 30, 2017

Thanks for letting me know about the sale, just grabbed this game too.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I tried Virtual Desktop again with Quest 2 after having a poor experience 6 months ago with the original Quest. Plesantly surprised! Worked on the first try and smoothly played Half-Life Alyx without issue, even though I and my PC are both on the 1st floor of my house and the router is on the 2nd floor right above me.

I did also try setting my PC up as a hotspot and having the Quest connect directly to that instead, but that increased latency instead of decreased. Strange - anyone have ideas why that might happen?

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Very jealous of those of you running the update already.

I don't have it yet :(

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I tried Virtual Desktop again with Quest 2 after having a poor experience 6 months ago with the original Quest. Plesantly surprised! Worked on the first try and smoothly played Half-Life Alyx without issue, even though I and my PC are both on the 1st floor of my house and the router is on the 2nd floor right above me.

I did also try setting my PC up as a hotspot and having the Quest connect directly to that instead, but that increased latency instead of decreased. Strange - anyone have ideas why that might happen?

I've had nothing but issues using my PC as a hotspot. Created huge latency spikes at regular intervals

edit: Just got a 30% discount code from oculus for 'apps' which I hope includes games.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Was terrible for me. Guy Goddin, the creator of VD, doesn't recommend using it either. Windows screws something up, because it's consistently lousy for some reason.