• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Amazon had my Quest 2 scheduled for delivery tomorrow with the elite strap coming in on Thursday, now the order page says that they're coming in one package on the 15th. I hope to God that's wrong.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
So I don't have a pc (just a MacBook Air) and was wondering if the game catalogue is large enough for a purchase on its own without the additional games/apps that desktop stores provide

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Woot, all three of my packages from Facebook are in transit according to UPS! Not really sure what's in each of the packages but I think tomorrow I'm getting my Quest and my two VR Cover packages, and Thursday I'm getting the headstrap with battery. Though according to Oculus' shipping email I got this morning the headstrap with battery should be in tomorrow's package along with the Quest, so we'll see.

Note: for the Quest 2 and headstrap I ordered directly from Oculus within 30 minutes of preorders first opening. The VR covers I ordered later.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
So I don't have a pc (just a MacBook Air) and was wondering if the game catalogue is large enough for a purchase on its own without the additional games/apps that desktop stores provide
I think so - you'll miss out on some of the great AAA PCVR games but there's a huge variety of games on the Quest store. Check it out:

Shop Meta Quest VR Games, Apps, Deals and More | Meta Quest

Shop VR games, apps, and entertainment available on the Meta Quest headsets. Download hundreds of action, sports, and multiplayer VR games on Meta Quest.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Get the daily deal for today guys! It's Real VR Fishing.

It's perfect for those new to VR.

And it's being constantly updated by the developers. Multiplayer was recently added so you can fish with 3 other friends.

There's been improvements as well for the Quest 2 to have higher resolution textures and such and it'll support 90 Hz mode once that's unlocked by Oculus.

sqpekkgco2p51.png

bry0fudco2p51.png

Nice. I find that "through the lens" photo/video comparisons to be much more impressive though, because they are a more accurate portrayal of visual differences when it comes to screen door effect, lighting, color, the god ray smear, etc. Both the Tyriel Wood and MRTV Youtube channels do a lot of these through the lens comparisons. I would say their Quest to Quest 2 comparisons show an even greater disparity than the examples here. Quest 2 really is a big improvement.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got a shipping notification from Best Buy Canada! ... for my Elite Strap!
Headset remains unshipped. ;_;
Oh well, there's still lots of time.

I should probably buy Virtual Desktop...

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
VR Newbie here. I have mine preordered for tomorrow. I can't wait! Anyways here is my list of day 1 games to get:

Superhot
BeatSaber
Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners
Richie's Plan Challenge (This will be more for a demo showpiece)

I'm also considering the following for day 1 purchase but I'm trying to pace myself:
Vader Immortal (1-3)
Red Matter
Tetris Effect
Space Pirate Trainer
The Climb
Pistol Whip
Robo recall is better than any of those!

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
With all the Virtual Desktop interest, I find it pretty crazy that Oculus hasn't bothered officially supported wireless streaming.

Carmack talked about this at the most recent Facbook Connect, he said that Facebook rejected it because it's "not there yet". But clearly people are using it with success, and while latency/fidelity are reason for concern, it seems that the benefits far outweigh these issues (at least for some games). And with Wifi-6 it seems that it will improve significantly.

I mean, things like Quest hand tracking are supposed to be pretty rough, but that's an official feature, so why not this? Maybe it has more to do with closed ecosystems or something?

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
With all the Virtual Desktop interest, I find it pretty crazy that Oculus hasn't bothered officially supported wireless streaming.

Carmack talked about this at the most recent Facbook Connect, he said that Facebook rejected it because it's "not there yet". But clearly people are using it with success, and while latency/fidelity are reason for concern, it seems that the benefits far outweigh these issues (at least for some games). And with Wifi-6 it seems that it will improve significantly.

I mean, things like Quest hand tracking are supposed to be pretty rough, but that's an official feature, so why not this? Maybe it has more to do with closed ecosystems or something?
They gotta see a return profit on investment from the link.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017

It's because when you don't have a great wifi setup, problems with streaming wirelessly can cause huge latency and framerate issues making people sick. While it's fine for many people, if it was an official feature a lot of people would ignore the warnings and try it first thing, and the fear is probably that those people would spread the word that VR makes people feel sick. Oculus wants the device to be mass-market, just put it on and it works.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've already got a long list of games to play, but I'm missing a good horror game. Any recommendations? Preferably a native app, I want one that I can play without the PC.

OP
OP
CKOHLER

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody know if the Quest 2 can support the Vive DAS like the first Oculus Quest?
I have not seen anyone attempt this but, for the moment, I would lean towards "no".

The hard plastic arms where you would attach the Deluxe Audio Strap to the Quest 2 are no longer flat and parallel like on the original Quest. They are angled and further up on the headset. However, it's still possible that a 3D printed adaptor may be designed but it might not be as simple an adaptor as the ones for the original Quest.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
They gotta see a return profit on investment from the link.

You mean the cable? You'd think being able to advertise wireless streaming would overshadow that, and even then they could still make it clear that the cable would offer better latency with less of a visual hit. Maybe it has more to do with quality control...but even then they could have required/recommended internet specs or something.

It's because when you don't have a great wifi setup, problems with streaming wirelessly can cause huge latency and framerate issues making people sick. While it's fine for many people, if it was an official feature a lot of people would ignore the warnings and try it first thing, and the fear is probably that those people would spread the word that VR makes people feel sick. Oculus wants the device to be mass-market, just put it on and it works.

True, but they could make it an extension of their comfort level descriptions, and have a minimum recommended internet specs on top of that. I guess that does complicate things, but wireless is so vital to the VR experience that making it an official feature would both make the device that much more appealing, as well as enhance overall quality control for people that are going to use it on Virtual Desktop anyway.

It would also be a way to continue pushing PCVR further which I think is still super necessary; high quality VR games really need power, much moreso than traditional gaming. What we're seeing right now with the Quest is a veering away from that, which I just don't see as the right move...we'll see more PCVR ports of Quest games that have severely sacrificed tech with nothing but slightly higher fidelity/performance enhancements. We've seen it with games like Onward, where they basically scrapped the PC version of the game in favor of the Quest version that was ported back to PC. Quest's standalone success is forcing VR devs into starting with the least common denominator...luckily the control/tracking schemes are identical, but everything else will be highly compromised. Imagine if all standard games were created on mobile first, then ported over to consoles/PC. It's just not ideal.

Last edited:

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
I've already got a long list of games to play, but I'm missing a good horror game. Any recommendations? Preferably a native app, I want one that I can play without the PC.

Apparently there is an Exorcist game based on Legion. Just learned that today! Also saints and sinners will probably be a flagship title for Quest 2.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
How does the oculus/facebook account merge work? Will they be linked during the initial setup or do I need to go somewhere to link them so my oculus apps carry across? I poked around the oculus support site a bit and found mentions of merging, but no actual description of the process.

I just loaded my oculus app this morning and it asked if I wanted to merge. After I accepted it happened automatically/seamlessly.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I have not seen anyone attempt this but, for the moment, I would lean towards "no".

The hard plastic arms where you would attach the Deluxe Audio Strap to the Quest 2 are no longer flat and parallel like on the original Quest. They are angled and further up on the headset. However, it's still possible that a 3D printed adaptor may be designed but it might not be as simple an adaptor as the ones for the original Quest.

I'm pretty sure I've seen someone post an almost completely prototype up on Reddit. It won't take long because people have been working this issue for a while.

Oct 26, 2017
You mean the cable? You'd think being able to advertise wireless streaming would overshadow that, and even then they could still make it clear that the cable would offer better latency with less of a visual hit. Maybe it has more to do with quality control...but even then they could have required/recommended internet specs or something.

Troubleshooting wireless connections is basically impossible, and they probably don't want that headache if they can avoid it.

furfoot

Dec 12, 2017

If they can offer a $99 cable for link they should be able to come up with some kind of simple dongle for that price which connects directly to the Quest 2.

Jealous of all the first time VR people! I've been gaming all my life and the first time I experienced VR was playing Robo Recall on the CV1 I just stood there laughing out loud all the time.

This is the next gen to me, nothing comes close.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty relaxed waiting for this, but now its not looking like it'll arrive on time and my mind is moving on to XSX and PS5 launch where I'll be way more (irrationally) stressed waiting for shipping notice.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
For comfort, do folks think the elite strap or the strap with battery would be better?

the battery improves weight distribution but it also makes it heavier, so I'm not sure which to go with.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Troubleshooting wireless connections is basically impossible, and they probably don't want that headache if they can avoid it.

They could just do what they have done with a lot of their new features and label it as an "experimental/beta" that requires an opt-in. Then they can monitor progress and improve, which seems way smarter than watching what a single developer has done with Virtual Desktop. I mean, if one developer can make that much of an impact, you'd think that Oculus could greatly improve upon that very quickly. I also think that as Quest is pushed more and more into the mainstream, core gamers will realize how good PCVR can be and will want the best experience. If Facebook doesn't want that group to break off, wireless streaming is one of the best ways keep them. If wired remains their only official PC solution for the foreseeable future, there are already better headsets on the market, and in the next year or two there will probably be even better ones. Even if the standalone market is more successful now, Facebook has to realize that the PC gaming market is still a huge untapped market and VR could blow up on it once a certain threshold is reached.

Honestly though, by the time Quest 3 comes out, they'll probably have something going by then. I'm sure Oculus is working on it, so maybe waiting until they reach a certain bar of quality is the right thing to do.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
They could just do what they have done with a lot of their new features and label it as an "experimental/beta" that requires an opt-in. Then they can monitor progress and improve, which seems way smarter than watching what a single developer has done with Virtual Desktop. I mean, if one developer can make that much of an impact, you'd think that Oculus could greatly improve upon that very quickly. I also think that as Quest is pushed more and more into the mainstream, core gamers will realize how good PCVR can be and will want the best experience. If Facebook wants to keep those people around, wireless streaming is one of the best ways to do that. If wired remains their only official PC solution for the foreseeable future, there are already better headsets on the market, and in the next year or two there will probably be even better ones.

Honestly though, by the time Quest 3 comes out, they'll probably have something going by then. I'm sure Oculus is working on it, so maybe waiting until they reach a certain threshold of quality is the right thing to do.
It's likely just something they have had issues getting ready for launch. Fixing the Hz issues is more important than streaming, especially when VD works fairly well.

Though to be fair they might just buy up the VD sometime in the next 6 months and work with them to turn it into an official app and call it good lol.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
For comfort, do folks think the elite strap or the strap with battery would be better?

the battery improves weight distribution but it also makes it heavier, so I'm not sure which to go with.

balance. But - differences may be small. You may prefer trying the elite strap first, then optionally later adding a battery. I'm sure the VR battery people will produce one that fits the elite strap, or do what I did and strap a 10000mah anker battery pack to the back with some velcro

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Though to be fair they might just buy up the VD sometime in the next 6 months and work with them to turn it into an official app and call it good lol.

This is honestly a very likely scenario. I could see the meeting now: "We like what you're doing and would like to buy you out so all of your customers become our customers, if you don't want to do that, we already have something better in the works so good luck competing."

tecl0n

Oct 25, 2017
While i'd like to use the native games, Oculus doesn't seem to have regional pricing.
So, i will use VD with the much cheaper steam prices.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
This is honestly a very likely scenario. I could see the meeting now: "We like what you're doing and would like to buy you out so all of your customers become our customers, if you don't want to do that, we already have something better in the works so good luck competing."
Yup, sounds like a very facebook thing to do. Either way I look forward to messing around with VD on the quest 2. I haven't played with VD for a while since I got my link cable, and I haven't played until you fall for a bit so seems like a good time to try both again.

OP
OP
CKOHLER

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
My best buy order shipped. Ordered it yesterday but I doubt I get it tomorrow
Grr. I preordered mine from Oculus.com on September 16 at 12:45 p.m. (only minutes after it was announced) and I still don't have any indication it's being shipped. They charged me on October 6 but their site still says "Processing for shipping" and there's no indication of shipping from UPS.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon saying elite strap will be here tomorrow 'by 8pm' - meh. But oculus haven't even shipped yet so probalby doesn't matter.

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon quest order shipped with ETA of tomorrow.

All that's left is the headstrap with battery and case. Still no ship date or in stock data for the Amazon order I placed for it. The vr cover from oculus will be here tomorrow as well, at least I can compare that.

Really hoping Walmart ships my backup order battery strap and case, it's been in preparing order for days with a delivery date of the 14th. I wish I could check if my local Walmart happens to have it.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
It's likely just something they have had issues getting ready for launch. Fixing the Hz issues is more important than streaming, especially when VD works fairly well.

Virtual Desktop is made by 1 guy (Guy Godon) and likely generated around 10 million in revenue on Steam alone. With all 3 Oculus stores added he has likely cleared close to 30 million dollars in personal profit. I'm not sure what his motivation would be to sell to FB or why he'd care about their threats to put him out of business (WoodyHarrelson.gif), but then again, he strikes me as a very greedy individual being he didnt support cross buy despite having no overhead and already being a deca-millionaire at the time.

Last edited:

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Quest should be on the way for me tomorrow, really hate that I'll be working though so I won't be able to play. Wondering how to add people though

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Virtual Desktop is made by 1 guy (Guy Godon) and likely generated around 10 million in revenue on Steam alone. With all 3 Oculus stores added he has likely cleared close to 30 million dollars in personal profit. I'm not sure what his motivation would be to sell to FB or why he'd care about their threats to put him out of business (WoodyHarrelson.gif), but then again, he strikes me as a very greedy individual being he didnt support cross buy despite having no overhead and already being a deca-millionaire at the time.

I doubt he would allow himself to be bought out. Oculus already offered to hire him but he prefers to be on his own.

And, fedex says my quest 2 will arrive wednesday. My vr cover also shipped. I am just waiting on amazon to give me an estimate on the elite strap with battery.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this linked from r/games, from the official Oculus site on the Facebook account requirements, some good info in here:

Facebook Accounts on Oculus | Meta Quest Blog

In August, we announced that we would start requiring new users and people using new devices to log in to their Oculus headsets using a Facebook account. This will make it easier for people to find and connect with friends, while still keeping a separate VR profile. We know that social VR has so...

With Quest 2 shipping this week, we'll start rolling out this change. What to know:

• This change will apply to all new users and everyone using a Quest 2. Existing users logging into other Oculus devices can continue using their Oculus accounts for an additional two years.
  • You still control how you show up in VR—so you might be Monique Smith on Facebook, but WarriorMama365 in VR.
  • If you don't want people to find you by your Facebook name, they won't—just make it visible to 'Only Me' in your Oculus privacy settings.
  • You can change your privacy settings at any time in either the Oculus app or while wearing your headset.

Good to hear they've implemented the ability to keep your privacy separate between the two as for others from your FB seeing your activity/screen name. I'd rather keep some of those old FB contacts in the past :P

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois

If he was greedy and just after the money, he would've sold to Facebook for way more than what he has earned all these years. I would say Facebook would have easily given him 100 million dollars to buy Virtual Desktop.

I knew Guy personally having worked in VR for 3 years and the PC & Quest build of VD could not be any more different. Their code bases are optimized for each hardware and I am not surprised he doesn't have crossbuy on the software considering how much work it took to get on the Quest.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to regret more and more ordering directly from Oculus. I'm hoping that I can still get it tomorrow.

I'd be tempted to try Currys if they have stock tomorrow for walk-in, but their website is showing not available for collection so maybe not? If I see no movement overnight from oculus I might try tomorrow or order from Amazon. I hadn't realised preorder stock woudl be fairly readily available. Returning it to oculus would be a PITA too but maybe I could sell it on at cost?

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
I'd be tempted to try Currys if they have stock tomorrow for walk-in, but their website is showing not available for collection so maybe not? If I see no movement overnight from oculus I might try tomorrow or order from Amazon. I hadn't realised preorder stock woudl be fairly readily available. Returning it to oculus would be a PITA too but maybe I could sell it on at cost?

I'm in the United States so technically, I can just go to Best Buy. If it gets pushed to Wednesday, then whatever lol