• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

badabeezy

Oct 27, 2017
Just sold my Quest 1 64gb on eBay for around $300 after fees. Really hoping all these rumors of a better $300 headset are true. Ready to upgrade!

Seems like this will be more comfortable with a relatively significant processor increase.

jwc13ac

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone looking at one of these for just PCVR? I have a rift s, but lighter cable, sharper screen, and lighter headset is tempting.

How is the link cable with quest 1? Any lag? I haven't researched it too much, curious if this is a selling point.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone looking at one of these for just PCVR? I have a rift s, but lighter cable, sharper screen, and lighter headset is tempting.

How is the link cable with quest 1? Any lag? I haven't researched it too much, curious if this is a selling point.

There's slight lag. Still think OG Quest > Vive as a PCVR headset.

There's a good chance, however, that Link performance is vastly superior with Quest 2. Carmack's talk today will answer those questions. If it is, it'll absolutely blow the Rift S away.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Out of curiosity, do you find Lone Echo gives you any tracking issues? That game seems to rely on movements that may take the controllers away from the field of view of the headset cameras.
If I could chime in, I play a ton of Echo VR native on Quest, and I rarely suspect tracking at the core of my mistakes. The inertial inputs as you push off behind the back register impressively accurately. Oculus made some really nice tracking improvements last year.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies for being so out of the loop - does this have it's own store akin to an app store for games? Is it a walled garden or could you buy VR games elsewhere and play them on this?

I don't have a gaming PC and I'm not sure I'll be willing to invest in both that and a headset so something like this is perfect for me.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
If I could chime in, I play a ton of Echo VR native on Quest, and I rarely suspect tracking at the core of my mistakes. The inertial inputs as you push off behind the back register impressively accurately. Oculus made some really nice tracking improvements last year.

There are also very subtle changes to the camera layout with Quest 2. Quest 2 should give much better coverage to the side of your head. That was the only real weakness I saw with OG Quest. For something like Sport Scramble, you couldn't keep you bat stationary to your ears or you'd mess up tracking and get lag when you started you swing. This layout would completely eliminate that one weak spot.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Apologies for being so out of the loop - does this have it's own store akin to an app store for games? Is it a walled garden or could you buy VR games elsewhere and play them on this?
Semi-walled. It has its own app store, but you can also sideload other games from third parties or play them on PC with Link.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Semi-walled. It has its own app store, but you can also sideload other games from third parties or play them on PC with Link.
Got it - so the limiting factor for standalone is the power of the headset, and whether there's a Quest version, but if you have a powerful PC you can also do a link, in which case you can play anything?

Feb 15, 2018
Anyone else playing MrBeefs Doom port? It's amazing and at times genuinely terrifying.

Edit - sorry, thought this was the Quest general discussion thread. Ignore me.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017

Personally, if I were to order a PCVR-dedicated headset today, I'd preorder an HP Reverb G2. It'll be more comfortable (the Quest 1's #1 problem), higher resolution and probably better quality screens, probably slightly higher FOV. $599 though, so price could be a concern, especially if Quest 2 really is $300 like the rumors say.

But for me, I got the Quest for its own games. I really like having zero wires and almost no setup - turn the device on, draw Guardian on the floor if needed, and start gaming. And the new device's extra power means there will be fewer sacrifices for playing the Quest version of a multiplatform game.

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, if I were to order a PCVR-dedicated headset today, I'd preorder an HP Reverb G2. It'll be more comfortable (the Quest 1's #1 problem), higher resolution and probably better quality screens, probably slightly higher FOV. $599 though, so price could be a concern, especially if Quest 2 really is $300 like the rumors say.

You're forgetting the off ear speakers. They're sneaky awesome on the Index.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But for me, I got the Quest for its own games. I really like having zero wires and almost no setup - turn the device on, draw Guardian on the floor if needed, and start gaming. And the new device's extra power means there will be fewer sacrifices for playing the Quest version of a multiplatform game.
The quest has amazing wireless pcvr potential. That's the killer feature for pcvr imo

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
You're forgetting the off ear speakers. They're sneaky awesome on the Index.
True, the Quest's audio quality is rather bunk without adding your own headphones, the Reverb G2 has the Valve Index audio solution, which is amazing. I'm really hoping Quest 2 has better audio, though without dedicated speakers on/over your ears, I have my doubts it'll be that much better. Which sucks because Oculus Rift CV1 had great built-in audio.
The quest has amazing wireless pcvr potential. That's the killer feature for pcvr imo
It has that potential, true, though note that one of Facebook's goals is to remove the ability to sideload apps, so once that happens it would have to be an official app that does it, something they didn't allow in the past.

Last edited:

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
True, the Quest's audio quality is rather bunk without adding your own headphones, the Reverb G2 has the Valve Index audio solution, which is amazing. I'm really hoping Quest 2 has better audio, though without dedicated speakers on/over your ears, I have my doubts it'll be that much better. Which sucks because Oculus Rift CV1 had great built-in audio.

It has that potential, true, though note that one of Facebook's goals is to remove the ability to sideload apps, so once that happens it would have to be an official app that does it, something they didn't allow in the past.

Why would they get rid of sideloading? Last i heard, zuckerberg supports it and there is going to be an official way for apps not on the store to be utilized. I guess we will see.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they get rid of sideloading? Last i heard, zuckerberg supports it and there is going to be an official way for apps not on the store to be utilized. I guess we will see.
Because they don't like people modding Beat Saber, they specifically called out that activity, using developer accounts to enable sideloading to mod commercial games. They said they were working on a new system that would make it even easier for developers to test their software without enabling that sort of activity.

Facebook said:
Our most recent policy updates give more clarity around how developer mode is intended to be used, such as helping developers build their apps or for enthusiasts to explore new concepts. It is not intended for engaging in piracy or illicit modding, including mods that infringe on third party IP rights or contain malicious code.

The policy update mentioned threatens bans of anyone who has:
Uploaded, distributed, or sideloaded any of the following:

• Content that appears to be infringing, copied, or pirated; or
  • Content that contains malicious code; or
  • Mods of applications available on or through our platform that appear to infringe on third party's intellectual property rights, introduce malicious code, give players an unfair advantage, or are otherwise not approved;

Last I heard, wireless VR streaming from PC is "not approved" (dunno why).

Last edited:

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Pre-orders are up on Amazon UK without pictures. 64GB was £312 and 256 was £401. October 16th release date.

Also seems to be a deluxe strap/battery pack on Amazon Netherlands with a case.

OCULUS MOLOKINI PLUS: Amazon.nl

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Because they don't like people modding Beat Saber, they specifically called out that activity, using developer accounts to enable sideloading to mod commercial games. They said they were working on a new system that would make it even easier for developers to test their software without enabling that sort of activity.

Definitely think those days are numbered. Dr Beef has what, every ID engine game up through Doom 3 running on Quest? Even beyond Beat Saber, I don't think they like having that sort of stuff diverting people from the main store.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Pre-orders are up on Amazon UK without pictures. 64GB was £312 and 256 was £401. October 16th release date.

Also seems to be a deluxe strap/battery pack on Amazon Netherlands with a case.

Interesting. Lessens the need for modding.

SkL7BBV.jpeg

61t8kzy5yFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81eckCss95L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
A halo strap solves one of my biggest dislikes on the Quest 2. I'm a weirdo who finds the original Quest comfortable, but halo straps remain the best solution yet.

Samalis

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me how important the storage is? 64gb is going to be cheaper but are you screwed with that much space? Or are there workarounds?

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
I just want preorders to go live lol. I'm wanting to jump into Quest and it seemed like it was a good idea waiting for a new iteration