• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still on the fence about the whole facebook login.

Yeah, this is what kills so much of what I love about it. But it was also the cheapest way for me to play Alyx, I planned on selling the headset afterwards, and what happened instead was that I completely fell in love with the medium itself.

Oct 29, 2017
Kinda wish they would have made it even lighter than that. I love the Quest but if I play for too long it kills my neck.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I've been on facebook long enough that not sure what other information they need from me, might as well take advantage of it.

Sucks i bought the first quest less than a year ago.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Preorder in. I wish they were able to do 128gb for $299, but I haven't had any issues with 64gb on my og quest.

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
Thank you. Good review.

Eh, that review title seems pretty harsh compared to the overall review. Norm's review had similiar complaints, but was more positive.

Battery life was mostly the same as Quest 1. Norm said he got 2h45 for video, 2h30 for games, 2h for games while recording.

IPD can be a problem, but that will be user specific. Norm and Jeremy's IPD are 65 and 61 and both of them were able to use the #2 preset (63), but he did acknowledge that some people will be more sensitive to IPD mismatch.

Quest 2 controllers worked just as well as Quest 1. Although maybe he didn't test it on Beat Saber Expert. Not necessarily worried about tracking because I assume any quirks could be worked out.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm so the FB login requirement excludes their mention the other day of legacy Oculus accounts not needing to be migrated until next year is that correct? I'm guessing that legacy thing was only for Quest 1 but would be nice to have confirmation. Not like I would have had that much time before having to migrate over to a FB account anyhow.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is what kills so much of what I love about it. But it was also the cheapest way for me to play Alyx, I planned on selling the headset afterwards, and what happened instead was that I completely fell in love with the medium itself.
This is what happened to me with the OG Rift a friend let me borrow. I had tons of fun with it and then had to return it...

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
So weird, still nothing for germany smh
I just found out that it won't be available in Germany at all due to some beef Facebook is having with the Federal Cartel Office. I decided to import it either from the UK, Austria or the Netherlands, but you have to do it from a retailer. If you change to another region in the Oculus store, add it to your basket and set "Shipping to Germany" it will automatically delete it from your basket...

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Pre-order up on Amazon (click on Available From: these sellers):

Amazon.com: Oculus Point Reyes 64GB -: Video Games

Amazon.com: Oculus Point Reyes 64GB -: Video Games

it's available directly from amazon now. i put in a preorder due to amazon no charge until shipped policy. i'll probably cancel it later.

i dont really see any killer app games for vr, in fact i struggle as an outsider to quickly think of one besides beat saber. that said 299 is pretty much in the "who cares, even if it's just a neat gimmick to play with it's worth it" territory.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
z_5f6230efa0da9.jpg

- Nearly 2K resolution per eye, over 50 percent more pixels than Quest
- 6GB memory with Snapdragon XR2 processor
- 10% lighter than Quest, smaller form factor
- New and improved Ergo controllers
- $100 cheaper than Quest
- 90hz
- Requires a Facebook account (real name too)

VR news of the year. Facebook must be subsidizing this hard.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I find it really shitty that they are selling this as an Oculus product when they have already announced they are getting rid of the Oculus branding

Someone at Facebook must realize that no one wants to buy a Facebook Quest

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I pre-ordered the 256 gb version but i wonder if i really need that space. I don't plan to use it with my pc until i upgrade my video card later on and i am assuming games will be bigger this generation.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
I just found out that it won't be available in Germany at all due to some beef Facebook is having with the Federal Cartel Office. I decided to import it either from the UK, Austria or the Netherlands, but you have to do it from a retailer. If you change to another region in the Oculus store, add it to your basket and set "Shipping to Germany" it will automatically delete it from your basket...
Yep sucks, let's hope one of the European amazons get it soon

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'll upgrade from Quest 1 atm but that's a great price. The FB requirement is really annoying.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Can't you just make a fake facebook account?

My review's third page breaks down how this can get dicey.

Hmm so the FB login requirement excludes their mention the other day of legacy Oculus accounts not needing to be migrated until next year is that correct? I'm guessing that legacy thing was only for Quest 1 but would be nice to have confirmation. Not like I would have had that much time before having to migrate over to a FB account anyhow.

Quest 2 requires a FB account to boot the device setup process. Quest 1 and other Oculus headsets will continue to support legacy Oculus accounts until January 1, 2023.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
They've cut hardware quality pretty heavy from what I've been reading. To the point I'm hoping that the market gets flooded with cheap version 1 units.

The reviews I'm seeing have the Quest 2 as more comfortable than the Quest. This is also not a small cut in price, compared to other XR2 headsets. We are talking about $300+ below what you usually see. I'm pretty amazed Facebook managed to get the price so low.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I pre-ordered the 256 gb version but i wonder if i really need that space. I don't plan to use it with my pc until i upgrade my video card later on and i am assuming games will be bigger this generation.

I cancelled and ordered the 64. I'll use it a lot with PC (hopefully wireless) and 64GB should be plenty for beat saber to live there forever plus quite a few other games.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
PSA Oculus Link doesn't work with the Deluxe Strap + battery. So you'll need to use wireless Virtual Desktop for Pc with that thing.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The reviews I'm seeing have the Quest 2 as more comfortable than the Quest. This is also not a small cut in price, compared to other XR2 headsets. We are talking about $300+ below what you usually see. I'm pretty amazed Facebook managed to get the price so low.

I've not seen anyone say its better than quest 1. On par or worse (and quest 1 standard was pretty crappy). Downsizing to the 64GB gives me some capacity for either the elite strap, or I can just try taping my Vive DAS to it again

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
PSA Oculus Link doesn't work with the Deluxe Strap + battery. So you'll need to use wireless Virtual Desktop for Pc with that thing.

how do you mean? I guess the battery headset just has a little dangly USB C cable to keep it charged while you play? If you want to play oculus link, does the link cable from the PC keep the headset charged?

edit - yes it has a removable USB cable so you should be fine.

Any info on the size of the battery? If you should get an extra couple hours, and it moves the weight to the back, might be worth a punt. Assume there will be reviews soon enough

Last edited:

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so incredibly STARVING for an upgrade from PSVR that even though it's forced Facebook.....I still had to pre order it🤮🥰

Fuck.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
guess its because to charge the device its using the USB-C slot.

So you could probably just unplug that piece...

Ah okay, that makes sense. I thought that poster was trying to say when it's attached, the link cable doesn't fit on. That would have been a weird design choice if true.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, what? They designed it so you couldn't use both at the same time?
how do you mean? I guess the battery headset just has a little dangly USB C cable to keep it charged while you play? If you want to play oculus link, does the link cable from the PC keep the headset charged?

It was a warning when I went to preorder the battery strap(so I didn't). I guess it uses the USB C port or something.

Yes to the link cable keeping it charged.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Ah okay, that makes sense. I thought that poster was trying to say when it's attached, the link cable doesn't fit on. That would have been a weird design choice if true.
since the regular (non-battery) Elite Strap doesn't have that restriction I think it is due to the USB-C usage. Unless the design is that much different from the two.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
anyone know the exact resolution of these displays? 2k x 2x per eye is not very specific.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They still havent put out a single product that feels like an upgrade from the original rift. I get putting out more accessible hardware for attempts at more mass adoption, I do. But as someone who just wants the best VR experience, wtf? Its been long enough that we should have a clear upgrade from the rift by now

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I've not seen anyone say its better than quest 1. On par or worse (and quest 1 standard was pretty crappy). Downsizing to the 64GB gives me some capacity for either the elite strap, or I can just try taping my Vive DAS to it again

"Oculus has kept that standalone Quest design with the same feature set, while improving its screen, reducing its weight, and — with one noteworthy caveat — making it more comfortable."

www.theverge.com

Oculus Quest 2 review: better, cheaper VR

The same features in a smaller, lighter package

"The screens are clearer and faster, the system that drives the whole thing is significantly more powerful, and it's much more comfortable to wear."

www.polygon.com

Oculus Quest 2 review: smaller, cheaper, better

Improved in just about every way

"The Oculus Quest 2 is more comfortable than its predecessor. It's smaller, lighter and has a softer strap."

uploadvr.com

Oculus Quest 2 Elite Strap Review: An Essential Add-On If You Don’t Want To Mod

For the first time ever, Facebook is making an upgraded strap accessory. How does it fit? Find out in our Oculus Quest 2 Elite Strap review! The Oculus Quest 2 is more comfortable than its predecessor. It’s smaller, lighter and has a softer strap. But, of all the many

"It features vastly improved hardware that makes both standalone and desktop virtual reality…. well, more realistic. It's more comfortable and customizable."

www.engadget.com

Oculus Quest 2 review: The $299 VR headset to rule them all

The Quest 2's top strap, meanwhile, is meant to be adjusted frequently.

"The chief offender is the aesthetics and materials of the new headset. While it's lighter (503g vs 571g) and, broadly, more comfortable than the original, the Quest 2 looks cheaper."

www.gamesradar.com

Oculus Quest 2 Review: "Improved VR experiences and more power make up for aesthetic trade-offs"

The Oculus Quest 2 has been a big hit since its release in 2020, giving proper VR gaming a much-needed boost and giving us hope that more devs will sit up and take notice in 2021. If you've been

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I hope so......I definitely will be getting that as soon as I can.
Need that Dreams VR😏

I have my fingers crossed that it'll be wireless, inside out tracking, and all new controllers with their halo style design. I find that design way more comfortable than my Quest. I think they can hit the other criteria too.