• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Oculus Quest 2 has surpassed Oculus Rift S as the most commonly used VR headsets for PCVR now, despite not being a dedicated PCVR headset.

It seems learning from Sony's lesson with PSVR has worked out for Oculus, in that they should strike a balance between price, accessibility and quality, rather than solely pushing quality which result in a high price tag (not to mention Valve Index cornering that high end PCVR market)

bxAYpjS.jpg

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
Selling a premium headset as a loss-leader for your information gathering company will do that.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
I'm holding out for the next one.

The content I consume just doesn't warrant the upgrade

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I would get a Quest 2 if it wasn't for the FB stuff, I have a Quest 1, but I am so over FB. I am hoping the Deca actually manifests and is good.

Dec 23, 2017
As much as I want an Oculus Quest 2, I'm not selling my soul to facebook.

I know Steam wants to focus on enthusiast grade VR headsets, but I still want them to make a wireless one.

Their $1000 VR headset got surpassed in resolution by cheaper headsets relatively quickly.

Here's to hoping Decagear is any good.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not buying a Facebook anything but I'd sure consider a wireless headset from Valve or another company that doesn't tacitly encourage fascist coups.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
SteamVR is not even officially supported, right?
I'm not sure if Oculus Link let you use SteamVR too or just Oculus PC stuff. I've only tried Virtual Desktop and that need to be modded to play PCVR games.

edit: Oculus Link can use SteamVR and Virtual Desktop supports SteamVR natively now. Thanks for clearing that up!

Last edited:

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Valve should make an affordable VR headset.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
I saw one in stock at walmart today(the 64gb one). Almost bought it, but held out for my switch instead. I want to try half-life but that seems about it right now? re7 is playstation only right?

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I saw one in stock at walmart today(the 64gb one). Almost bought it, but held out for my switch instead. I want to try half-life but that seems about it right now? re7 is playstation only right?

I mean there's at least a good 40-50 great games for VR right now. Then you have mods for existing games that make them playable in VR and it's crazy, Final Doom and Doom 2.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
I don't feel Oculus was only pushing for quality and has learned different from PSVR, it was always a focus.

The Quest 2 is a cool piece of hardware, but Facebook has been extremely scummy. If I upgrade I'll definitely wait for a device from a different company.

I'm not sure if Oculus Link let you use SteamVR too or just Oculus PC stuff. I've only tried Virtual Desktop and that need to be modded to play PCVR games.

With an Oculus Link you have no problems using SteamVR and other ways work too.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
worth it over a switch though? dont want both right now.

Mmmh, that just depends on what you're looking for. If you never played BotW or Odyssey then yeah get a Switch, but there are amazing games on VR like Blade & Sorcery, Pavlov or Compound that I play way more than my Switch. Last game I touched on the Switch was Pokemon Sword, and I don't see touching it again until No More Heroes 3.

the popularity of the quest isn't solely due to the price, it's also because fuck having to deal with wires in VR. a cheaper index won't fix that lmao

There are wireless kits that can fix that. Bit on the expensive side though.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
VirtualDesktop can now be ran for SteamVR without the Sidequest patch.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I sold my Vive V1 and bought a Quest 2, zero regrets.
Wireless PCVR that looks even better than on my Vive (due to the Quest 2 displays)
Plus, it takes about 30 seconds to get into a game, so I use it a whole lot more.

JaggiBaggi

Nov 4, 2017
Sad that the most privacy invasive headset is the one dominating the market.

Waiting for the inevitable moment where Facebook decides it's not going to work with SteamVR anymore.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
Mmmh, that just depends on what you're looking for. If you never played BotW or Odyssey then yeah get a Switch, but there are amazing games on VR like Blade & Sorcery, Pavlov or Compound that I play way more than my Switch. Last game I touched on the Switch was Pokemon Sword, and I don't see touching it again until No More Heroes 3.

There are wireless kits that can fix that. Bit on the expensive side though.

I'd get half-life for sure (i have a high-end pc), but honestly, I do not know much about VR games right now. I really just want to try it out and hope I am very into it. Would the 64gb version be enough?

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Not surprised. It's a cheap premium headset.

I love it and the Quest 2 replaced my Vive/Index. Ended up selling the Rift S when Quest 1 got the link capability.

Sad that the most privacy invasive headset is the one dominating the market.

Waiting for the inevitable moment where Facebook decides it's not going to work with SteamVR anymore.
VR headsets tried this before by separating stores and it didn't last very long.

People care more about access to games than they do their privacy.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Are people here still under the assumption that the Quest 2 isn't sold for a loss?

The "balance" they struck was Facebook eating the cost of it so they can corner the market and sell you apps they have total control over and data to collect.

I only keep saying this because people point to the Quest 2 like it is a clear example for how other businesses should be pricing equivalent headsets. It isn't sustainable.

If you want insights into the AR VR market from an ex-Valve hardware employee here is an interview with Jeri Ellsworth.

I link to the bit where she talks about it being sold at a loss, but then she goes into her doomsday scenario of Facebook's motives. Which, I can't blame her knowing Facebook and the Brain Computer Interface technology she has seen behind the scenes and knows is coming.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Index being 3rd at 16% and at it's current price is pretty impressive. I would say that that is more impressive.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Index being 3rd at 16% and at it's current price is pretty impressive. I would say that that is more impressive.
Honestly baffling is the word I would use.

I think most people who have the money to buy an Index also have the money for a decent router (TBH, Quest 2 PCVR worked great for me on a crappy router that came for free from my internet provider.) and at that point the Index is more hassle than its worth...and its so much more expensive. What is the advantage (apart from the controllers?)

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

I think most people who have the money to buy an Index also have the money for a decent router (TBH, Quest 2 PCVR worked great for me on a crappy router that came for free from my internet provider.) and at that point the Index is more hassle than its worth...and its so much more expensive. What is the advantage (apart from the controllers?)

Having not used either one of them, but is debating getting a VR headset, the index still has a higher FOV than the Q2 which is very important to me since trying the PSVR and realizing goggle-view really breaks immersion for me. I know it's still not like you have a full field of view outside of a headset, but it's still a better fov.

There's also the whole not getting in bed with Facebook anymore than I have to do so.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018

Audio Quality (Both Speaker and Microphone), Refresh Rate, More Accurate Tracking, Wider Field of View, Not Giving Facebook Money And Being Locked Into Their Ecosystem

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
guys, is 64gb enough? I think i am going to buy this over the switch. I have a high-end pc and want to link it to that too. Those games run off the pc storage, right?

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
guys, is 64gb enough? I think i am going to buy this over the switch. I have a high-end pc and want to link it to that too. Those games run off the pc storage, right?
The only usecase I've seen where people say it's not enough is storing movies. And yeah, playing PCVR games is just like any other PCVR headset- it's just streaming a signal.

Audio Quality (Both Speaker and Microphone), Refresh Rate, More Accurate Tracking, Wider Field of View, Not Giving Facebook Money And Being Locked Into Their Ecosystem
You can get a Quest and exclusively use it for Steam VR games (add a copy of Virtual Desktop for wireless). So no. Buying a Quest doesn't inherently lock you into their ecosystem- and if anything, you're taking money away, not giving it to them, by buying a subsidized device and not purchasing software from them.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
64Gb is enough yes, I have like 10 games installed on my Quest at any given time and some spare-room, which is more then enough. Native Quest games are usually not very heavy, and PC games are stored on your computer.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
This is great news for the VR industry as a whole. It looks like the quest 2 is greatly expanding the market, which should be good for everyone involved with vr.

jikevgw

Jan 22, 2020
I have 2 oculus quest 2 and psvr and love them both . The wireless on quest 2 is the best thing ever

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Couple of questions on the Quest 2:

Has anyone come out with some good integrated audio solution yet?

Does WiFi 6 make a difference to latency when wirelessly streaming from a PC? Any objective tests of this? My ISP supplies a pretty good spec AC wireless router, but my PC is wired. Would installing a WiFi 6 wireless card into my PC and connecting directly to that (assuming that's straightforward to set up) improve latency with wireless desktop?

I love the idea of wirelessly streaming from my PC but I remain skeptical, I'm highly sensitive to variations in frametimes, so I expect I'll notice any dropped frames, so want to be confident the praise it gets isn't just coming from those that can live with an imperfect solution. If there's ways and means to improve the latency and consistancy then I'd rather know about it.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
It's rumored that a Quest Pro is coming out; whether it will be more of a Quest 2 pro or Quest 3 pro that comes out at the same time as the 3 is the question. If they can do a Quest 2 for $300, imagine what they can do for $600.

For better or worse, next gen VR pretty much comes when Facebook says it does.

I wish they would hurry with foveated rendering and varifocal displays. I want to be able to run ultra crisp games on a 4k per eye display at 120fps without a $5000 PC. My bet is Quest 4.

Last edited:

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I bought it to mostly use as a PCVR headset. The tracking is better than the competition (excluding the Index) and Facebook is taking a huge loss on it so it's cheap enough. It also has high resolution and 90hz.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
TBH I don't even use headphones on the Quest 2, the audio sounds great to me and you can talk to people in the room, 90Hz feels smooth as butter to me, and I don't feel like the tracking is less accurate. And also TBH none of those things would be worth the insane price compared to the Quest 2. The only one that I agree with is Facebook is shady as all hell. But after wrestling with that the price and features were too good to ignore lol

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's rumored that a Quest Pro is coming out; whether it will be more of a Quest 2 pro or Quest 3 pro that comes out at the same time as the 3 is the question. If they can do a Quest 2 for $300, imagine what they can do for $600.

For better or worse, next gen VR pretty much comes when Facebook says it does.

I wish they would hurry with foveated rendering and varifocal displays. I want to be able to run ultra crisp games on a 4k per eye display at 120fps without a $5000 PC. My bet is Quest 4.

Any sources for this rumour?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I'm over here waiting for a headset that's affordable, decent enough and also does not require selling my soul to a shit awful company like Facebook. The Quest 2 would definitely be it without the mandatory facebook (or any service really, but it's even worse if it's facebook) account requirement, but...

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised it's overtaken the Rift S. if I was replacing my PCVR headset now it'd definitely be the Quest 2 and I'd just link it to my PC.

No great need to buy a Rift S when the Quest exists.

The biggest surprise to me is how fast the Quest 2 has overtaken the Quest 1! Just less supply constrained? I feel like there's a lot more about at retail. I think they struggled to make enough of the Quest but they seemed to have fixed their supply lines for the Quest 2.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
I got one last week for Half Life: Alyx and have been absolutely blown away by the whole experience. That first moment standing there in City 17 is a genuine "wow" moment.

The only trouble I have found is I can't wear it for very long as it becomes quite uncompfortable. I've tried shifting the lenses and adjusting the head strap etc but as yet have no solution. Beyond an hour my head and eyes are killing me. It's my first VR experience so I'm not sure how common or expected this is.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
I'm over here waiting for a headset that's affordable, decent enough and also does not require selling my soul to a shit awful company like Facebook. The Quest 2 would definitely be it without the mandatory facebook (or any service really, but it's even worse if it's facebook) account requirement, but...
I haven't had Facebook for over 10 years. I set one up for the Quest 2 but have no profile and all my settings on private. I needed it for the initial set up but it hasn't been intrusive or even necessary since then. Tbh I forgot I even did it until I read this thread.

I was concerned about needing an account but it hasn't been an issue at all.

Edit: sorry for double post.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I haven't had Facebook for over 10 years. I set one up for the Quest 2 but have no profile and all my settings on private. I needed it for the initial set up but it hasn't been intrusive or even necessary since then. Tbh I forgot I even did it until I read this thread.

I was concerned about needing an account but it hasn't been an issue at all.
I'm not going to buy a device that can be remotely bricked by a company is what I'm trying to say. Also, Facebook is never truly 100% private. Your profile can have minimal information, but it has to exist, have your real name, and it is publicly accessible if you have the URL. I don't want my real name on facebook even if it doesn't show up on their search engine.