• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like GPUs that are listed as unsupported do actually still work, though I imagine that the minimal requirements are still higher than for something like a Rift S.

Oct 30, 2017
I so appreciate this thread. I know that the cable will go out of stock soon. I wonder why their cable could not be ready sooner? It feels like the type of thing that could have been quietly put into production months ago.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I so appreciate this thread. I know that the cable will go out of stock soon. I wonder why their cable could not be ready sooner? It feels like the type of thing that could have been quietly put into production months ago.
I think it uses fiber optics to send the data, so it's not as easy as just making a normal cable longer.
I hope we get some black friday discounts on the quest, I wanna really want to get it, but the 400 is a little too much considering I already have a WMR headset.
Hope Link still works with my mobile 1060, it works damn good with the WMR so no idea why it wouldn't with this.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Was able to steal a couple minutes away and this shit is legit. Only game I tested was Pinball FX2 VR on Steam. Even with the amazing advancements with VD 1.8 and having a best case local network, I still don't feel it's playable with VD. With the Link cable, it's silky freaking smooth and if there's lag, it's now low enough not to bother me.

What a fantastic achievement for these guys.

Whoa, missed this (busy day). Amazing! That is fantastic news. Pinball is an acid test for latency to be sure. Wow. Carmack's parting gift is sounding really good.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm really impressed with what I've tried with my tiny 1ft cable of doom. It's super smooth and high quality. Got the 10ft cable coming tomorrow so I'll have some proper impressions then but really excited to dive into games like Stormland, Lone Echo, Asgard's Wrath, Hoddogs, Handshoes and Handgrenades, Blade and Sorcery and trying out Beat Saber more on PC too.

I had been using Virtual Desktop for a week or two to stream from my PC but it was only good for slower experiences imo, anything that required a bit of accuracy or speed it became cumbersome at times. Time to get all hyped for VR all over again.

Who wants to be the hero and try the 10 foot cable with one of these active cables? https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Extension-Extender-Booster-Compatible/dp/B0179MXKU8

Sure, it's thick and unweildy, and has a big clunky connector that you'll trip over or crush, but it has purpose to get the signal closer to your play area.
I would buy it and give it a go but I can't find it or anything similar on Amazon UK :(

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I think it uses fiber optics to send the data, so it's not as easy as just making a normal cable longer.
I hope we get some black friday discounts on the quest, I wanna really want to get it, but the 400 is a little too much considering I already have a WMR headset.
Hope Link still works with my mobile 1060, it works damn good with the WMR so no idea why it wouldn't with this.

Not looking good. We've heard about the Rift S being available for 350, but nothing on Quest yet.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017

apowhungo

Oct 30, 2017
10ft anker cable is still available on amazon canada

just got a quest last week, cable coming this week, ive been waiting forever to play lone echo, CANNOT WAIT.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
I threw every USB 3 cable I had on hand (phone charger, Switch controller charger, iPad Pro cable). Nothing works :( I ordered the 10ft one so I guess I'll have to wait :(

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I threw every USB 3 cable I had on hand (phone charger, Switch controller charger, iPad Pro cable). Nothing works :( I ordered the 10ft one so I guess I'll have to wait :(
My USB C to USB 3 cable from my Capture Card worked, but it was 1ft long so I was basically sat at my pc testing it. Can't wait for the 10ft one to come tomorrow so I can try it properly.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Who wants to be the hero and try the 10 foot cable with one of these active cables? https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Extension-Extender-Booster-Compatible/dp/B0179MXKU8

Sure, it's thick and unweildy, and has a big clunky connector that you'll trip over or crush, but it has purpose to get the signal closer to your play area.

I actually have two of these already. I'll see if I can find some time to try it. Though someone in the reddit mega thread had success with this one at 32 ft.

Plugable 10 Meter (32 Foot) USB 3.0 Active Extension Cable with AC Power Adapter and Back-Voltage Protection https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076C6PDNH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_RGY0DbYDKWTPY

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
If this works as well as the rift....I'm going to sell it and buy this bad boy.

Having a SteamVR kit for dev reasons is the only reason I'm even remotely considering keeping my Vive. Between the Link cable and Virtual Desktop 1.8, I don't see much use for either the Vive or CV1. The Quest is just better (if you mod it for comfort).

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Stupid question before I run off buying USB cables.

I have a 2080ti which has that USB-C port on it. No clue what that is for. Is there something I should be trying with it and this, or just stick to a normal USB3 port on my motherboard?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Maaaan. I have the rift none s with three sensors. Will this be better?

So tempted to buy right now.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Stupid question before I run off buying USB cables.

I have a 2080ti which has that USB-C port on it. No clue what that is for. Is there something I should be trying with it and this, or just stick to a normal USB3 port on my motherboard?

It's not outputting raw data, so any USB-3 port will work. You can probably use your virtual link port, but there's literally no advantage. It's just a compressed 150mbps stream being sent to Quest.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love living in Argentina. The recommended cable costs the equivalent of 50 US dollars on local stores here. I had a cheap USB C to A 3.0 cable but it doesn't work (the Oculus app detects the headset, but it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting once the device asks me to enable Link).