• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Palmer Luckey was such a rube for thinking none of this would happen.
Fuck that guy.

Anyways, I may be wrong, but I'm not reading this as the Oculus brand is going away, just that the Oculus team, and other teams working on related/tangential stuff are going to be under the 'Facebook Reality Labs' name.

But again, I could be reading it wrong.

Torian

Aug 16, 2019
Why do some of you care if it says Facebook on the headset instead of Oculus? If you have that big of a problem with Facebook then why buy it?
You are 100% correct. Since it's been announced that you'll need a Facebook account in the future to use the hardware I'll never buy Facebook headsets again.* (which is a damn shame because a quest2 has the potential to be the perfect device.

*exception could be made if devices can be jailbroken and prevented from calling home

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
please someone release a quest competitor. Daydream seems done, and I don't see Valve doing the hard work in getting some Android SteamVR platform going.

A shame.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
IsDk.gif

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I have to say the same thing I said in the last thread about the accounts.

What did you all think was going to happen when Facebook purchased Oculus? Integration was inevitable.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Probably worth posting this recent comment by Palmer Luckey just in case anyone needs to be reminded just how presciently scummy Facebook is:

I am already getting heat from users and media outlets who say this policy change proves I was lying when I consistently said this wouldn't happen, or at least that it was a guarantee I wasn't in a position to make. I want to make clear that those promises were approved by Facebook in that moment and on an ongoing basis, and I really believed it would continue to be the case for a variety of reasons. In hindsight, the downvotes from people with more real-world experience than me were definitely justified.

A few examples below so people won't make up their own version of what I actually said:

• ⁠I guarantee that you won't need to log into your Facebook account every time you wanna use the Oculus Rift.
• ⁠You will not need a Facebook account to use or develop for the Rift
• ⁠Nope. That would be lame.
• ⁠I promise.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Probably worth posting this recent comment by Palmer Luckey just in case anyone needs to be reminded just how presciently scummy Facebook is:

Whatever. Dude lied about being a Trump supporter and is currently trying to get rich preventing people fleeing from horrors south of the border.

So yeah. Fuck him.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are 100% correct. Since it's been announced that you'll need a Facebook account in the future to use the hardware I'll never buy Facebook headsets again.* (which is a damn shame because a quest2 has the potential to be the perfect device.

*exception could be made if devices can be jailbroken and prevented from calling home
Your device already calls home with telemetry and other data when you use Oculus software. Just because it's called an Oculus account instead of a Facebook account means nothing. Facebook is still getting the data. If they wanted to, they probably have a million creative ways of figuring out and connecting your Oculus persona to your FB persona.

Such a weird hill this forum dies on sometimes.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
So many people read the title of this thread and not the actual excerpt and are showing their whole ass out in these comments per usual.

marcus

Oct 27, 2017
from what i can tell, this is more of an internal name change. oculus will still be called oculus

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your device already calls home with telemetry and other data when you use Oculus software. Just because it's called an Oculus account instead of a Facebook account means nothing. Facebook is still getting the data. If they wanted to, they probably have a million creative ways of figuring out and connecting your Oculus persona to your FB persona.

You mean to be anti-Facebook?

Weird hill, indeed.......

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
i'm really hoping someone smart can decouple the hardware from the Oculus drivers. they're incredibly bloated, force you to update and i get very uncomfortable with what kind of telemetry they're sending back.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Whatever. Dude lied about being a Trump supporter and is currently trying to get rich preventing people fleeing from horrors south of the border.

So yeah. Fuck him.
This wasn't about Palmer or him being a liar. This is about how Facebook promised at the time that Oculus and Facebook would not merge at any point.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Not really. Before you could at least kid yourself that Occulus was being treated as a separate business than Facebook and weren't constantly reminded that it is owned by FB. Now with the login and company name change it's in your face. Clearly behind the scenes it probably never mattered but pushing the Facebook brand to the forefront is enough to make me bow out of their headset.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean to be anti-Facebook?

Weird hill, indeed.......
To only be anti-Facebook about Oculus only when the company decides to attach their names to anything, when you are already 100% in Facebook's ecosystem by owning Oculus hardware. It's a super weird dissonance. You are giving Facebook your money and data by owning an Oculus. Period.
Not really. Before you could at least kid yourself that Occulus was being treated as a separate business than Facebook and weren't constantly reminded that it is owned by FB. Now with the login and company name change it's in your face. Clearly behind the scenes it probably never mattered but pushing the Facebook brand to the forefront is enough to make me bow out of their headset.
"Kid yourself" is key here. It never did matter. I guess if the optics matter that much to you then sure?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
To only be anti-Facebook about Oculus only when the company decides to attach their names to anything, when you are already 100% in Facebook's ecosystem by owning Oculus hardware. It's a super weird dissonance. You are giving Facebook your money and data by owning an Oculus. Period.

any idea what kind of data it sends back?

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This wasn't about Palmer or him being a liar. This is about how Facebook promised at the time that Oculus and Facebook would not merge at any point.
I was responding to him complaining about getting heat from the media and being called a liar. He is a liar, and worse.

So fuck him.

Also, it has nothing to do with this (non)rebranding.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Kid yourself" is key here. It never did matter. I guess if the optics matter that much to you then sure?

It matters to a lot of people which is why parent companies often times keep separate identities for their product lines.

A new Batman game by AT&T studios doesn't sound that sexy.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It matters to a lot of people which is why parent companies often times keep separate identities for their product lines.

Indeed, but I figured in a forum full of enthusiasts people might be a bit more clued in.

In reality I also doubt Facebook is looking to monetize Oculus usage data the way people expect them to. It just really doesn't seem worthwhile.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who advised them on this ? Given the already nagging suspicion masses have of Facebook, idk if it's an advisable marketing strategy to make your headsets/VR tech synonymous with the Facebook brand.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
any idea what kind of data it sends back?

Location data and which apps are used at what frequency, probably. For them it isn't likely about direct marketing to consumers based on this, but population center saturation and what types of products they may want to focus on internally based on said usage trends.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Indeed, but I figured in a forum full of enthusiasts people might be a bit more clued in.

In reality I also doubt Facebook is looking to monetize Oculus usage data the way people expect them to. It just really doesn't seem worthwhile.

Right. Facebook mines data. That is their reason for existence in this world. Oculus was another avenue to mine data. It was never going to be anything but this path forward. I'm only surprised they took this long to make all these changes.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I've gotta agree with this. I'm totally onboard with anyone not wanting anything to do with Facebook etc but Facebook have owned Oculus for six years now. They bought Oculus in 2014, two years before the first consumer headset was even announced. I kinda feel like if Facebook is the big problem here then you shouldn't have gotten into their ecosystem at all past the first two dev kits? I don't know why am internal rebranding of all of Facebooks VR/AR/home device teams etc under one name would be more 'gross' than them buying the entirety of Oculus way back.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck that guy.

Anyways, I may be wrong, but I'm not reading this as the Oculus brand is going away, just that the Oculus team, and other teams working on related/tangential stuff are going to be under the 'Facebook Reality Labs' name.

But again, I could be reading it wrong.

On the one hand, they're advertising a lot during the NBA playoffs and using "Oculus by Facebook". On the other hand, they've basically just announced the rebranding of a ton of new stuff: Oculus Connect becomes Facebook Connect, etc.

It seems like they have a huge announcement planned for "Facebook Connect" and the new Quest's release probably coincides with the new requirements that new hardware must use a Facebook login.

Makes sense, sooner or later the goal has always been to tie everything together. Unless people think Facebook is out spending billions on companies to keep them segregated from the rest of their ecosystem.

They acquired Oculus in 2014. It took 6 years. I wouldn't call that "fast".

Maybe Valve, but they have hugely different approaches to VR and goals.

It really doesn't seem like there are many appealing saviors out there. You know Apple VR is going to be absurdly expensive (beyond everything else that's awful with Apple). Almost kind of hope we get Nvidia to enter the race. It would be stupidly expensive, but still less than what Apple will be charging for their abomination.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017

The only reason it matters to people is because they don't want it to be in their face that they support these companies. I mean, if you're against Facebook, you just shouldn't have an Oculus headset. There's great headsets from different companies. You're supporting Facebook if you have an Oculus, and you've been doing it for a long time.

I kind of agree this whole thing is dumb because it triggers this kind of stupid reaction about people suddenly being up and arms because something that's been Facebook for years suddenly calls itself Facebook. Just shows that people don't actually care what brand they support as long as it's not in their face that they're doing it.

I've gotta agree with this. I'm totally onboard with anyone not wanting anything to do with Facebook etc but Facebook have owned Oculus for six years now. They bought Oculus in 2014, two years before the first consumer headset was even announced. I kinda feel like if Facebook is the big problem here then you shouldn't have gotten into their ecosystem at all past the first two dev kits? I don't know why am internal rebranding of all of Facebooks VR/AR/home device teams etc under one name would be more 'gross' than them buying the entirety of Oculus way back.

At this point it's either ignorance or pure hypocrisy.

It's not like Oculus is the only competent headset on the market and people are stuck with buying it.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I think this makes sense. Facebook overall sees more than gaming in this space and their brand despite the hate it gets here is strong enough to align with (don't get me wrong I've never given a shit about Facebook).

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Was totally confused reading the thread title then the vomit of posts afterwards. Looks like a reorg with nothing much changing for end users.