• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Congrats to Asano and team! This proves that there is a big audience for old school JRPGs and that there is a healthy audience for it on the Switch. Is the split probably at 90-10?

Also hoping for the best that Eiyuuden Chronicles does well given how its look seems to be inspired by the HD2D look.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Didn't play it (demo aside) and have no interest in playing it, but congratulations to the team. It's excellent to see it do well.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I bought it a month back when it was on sale.

Boring as can be but it is very, very pretty. Hopefully the next one improves and isnt as repetitive.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Been eyeing this game for a while now. The full price of 60€ kind of stops me from buying. Sounds like it really is worth it.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
?

Yes? Why wouldn't it be lol. If he was budget constrained in any meaningful way, I'm sure he wouldn't have gone for the tons of hand-drawn backgrounds and a full orchestral soundtrack. His team has expanded and is working on 2-3 games simultaneously now. He's not hurting for budget approval.
Yeah these kind of innovations come from budget constraints but I think they will go for a higher budget for Octopath 2 as the game is a proven succes.

Puddington

Nov 2, 2017
My favorite line from the game is towards the end,
Wait? Are we traveling on some sort of Octopath?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think it was pretty much confirmed two years ago:

Asano's plan was to have a game ready every year so I guess the initial schedule was 2020: BD2, 2021: Triangle Strategy and 2022: Octopath 2.

We'll see how things got impacted.

they re-confirmed very recently that a sequel is in development
www.siliconera.com

Octopath Traveler: Conquerors of the Continent Will Regularly Add Content

Square Enix will regularly add more stories and characters to its new mobile game Octopath Traveler: Conquerors of the Continent.
Oh, right, of course! Since they did explicitly mention OT, not just a new game by Asano, it's pretty much confirmed. I think it could release in 2023, 4-5 years after the first one.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Well deserved, really a beautiful game. I still need to finish the stories of 4 characters
and do the post-game dungeon.
. I will try to do so this year.

Calvertutrp

Dec 4, 2020
Asano's games aren't perfect and have alot of flaws but the way they manage to feel like classic rpgs in spirit while still maintaining a distinct feel all there own is commendable

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Turns out there's still a decent market for an original JRPG with turn-based combat. You love to see it.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
That's absolutely insane isn't it, well done to them

I played about 10 hours before giving up. Felt too repetitive in terms of the story loop but the music was godly

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
2.5m is a big achievement for a JRPG, not only good sales. Even games considered "classics" barely sold in the same range. Many long-running JRPG franchises never got close to this number.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
iirc that's more than the last figures of Xenoblade 2 although the Smash inclusion will give it another boost now.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
What I would want in the sequel is real changes in the settings based on the order of which story character you play. For example if you play the thief's story and he destroys a dungeon in the process then when you play the knights story and you come to this dungeon, it should be destroyed and the story and game play of the knight should be affected by it.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Did he really because where the hell is the budget increase for his games

I'm happy for him and I hope BDII does extremely well

but smfh SE

BD2 has a clearly, clearly improved budget over the first two entries. Outside of character faces (which is more an art issue, not budget) it actually looks really good. Triangle Strategy is also really well produced and has some insanely well done effects.

I dunno what else he would want?

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
Good for them, ended up cooling on it pretty quickly, but might go back to it and give it another chance at some point.

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
If only the stories would intertwine with each other to create a bigger story with all the 8 characters having a proper role, the sales would've been 25 million.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Fun fact:

Octopath Traveler has now outsold almost every single JRPG on SNES. It has outsold Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, and Final Fantasy V and is close to outselling Dragon Quest V. The only SNES JRPGs that are probably unreachable for Octopath are Dragon Quest VI and Final Fantasy VI, which sold 3.2m and 3.4m respectively.

Wild for a game "inspired" by a certain era of JRPGs and leaning heavily on nostalgia for fans of those games to go on to be more successful than almost all of them 30 years later.
your post sure puts things into perspective. But at the same time, all the sfc DQ games were Japan only and none of the others were released in Europe during original releases. So the situation is a bit different.

DoctorPlayer MD

"This guy are sick"
Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
If only the stories would intertwine with each other to create a bigger story with all the 8 characters having a proper role, the sales would've been 25 million.

The point of the game is to be this series of limited stories, and to allow players to experience them in any order they want. That's why the final dungeon/superboss that ends up tying all the stories together is optional. If you want a party of heroes save the world you can play pretty much every other JRPG.

The are downsides, sure, not all of the 8 stories are great and not everyone will get to fight the final boss with the best music in the game.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
This line of thought has never made any sense to me whatsoever. Why should the presence on Switch influence the Steam pricing? It's a new game on Steam = it comes with a new game's price tag.

Because in most cases of going from Platform A -> Platform B there's a year or so's worth of discounts/sales and pre-owned market prices that have happened in the meantime, so paying £50 for something everyone else is now paying say £30 for, feels like an extra kick in the teeth on top of the timed exclusivity.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for Triangle Strategy and more games with this type of graphics in the future.

Full on JRPG and SRPG renaissance here we go!

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't there another Octopath released for mobile phones? I wonder was that was never ported to the Switch too.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact:

Octopath Traveler has now outsold almost every single JRPG on SNES. It has outsold Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, and Final Fantasy V and is close to outselling Dragon Quest V. The only SNES JRPGs that are probably unreachable for Octopath are Dragon Quest VI and Final Fantasy VI, which sold 3.2m and 3.4m respectively.

Wild for a game "inspired" by a certain era of JRPGs and leaning heavily on nostalgia for fans of those games to go on to be more successful than almost all of them 30 years later.
your post sure puts things into perspective. But at the same time, all the sfc DQ games were Japan only and none of the others were released in Europe during original releases. So the situation is a bit different.
Also the market in general is much bigger now.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Definitely deserved. It turned out to be something different from what I was expecting but still pretty good.

Is there any info about how much it sold on the Switch alone?

Nov 3, 2017
One of the best games I ever played, with outstanding art and perfect soundtrack. I listen to the OST often and fondly remember all the characters.

All of them! Can`t say that about many games.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised this had been this successful tbh. Lovely art style and great to look at but by far the most boring jrpg I've ever played. I don't think I even beat it when I worked out its just gonna stay personal character stories and never evolve Into a bigger story

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Because in most cases of going from Platform A -> Platform B there's a year or so's worth of discounts/sales and pre-owned market prices that have happened in the meantime, so paying £50 for something everyone else is now paying say £30 for, feels like an extra kick in the teeth on top of the timed exclusivity.
I mean, I get what you're saying, from a consumer standpoint especially. All I'm saying is that I also get where publishers are coming from when pricing a game like that in this way (full price), as its existence on another platform, which you, as a paying consumer, are seemingly not interested in anyways, doesn't really have a huge impact on the current pricing decision, especially if it's been only one year (and not, like, three or more with stuff like Horizon Zero Dawn e.g., which still was only 10€ less on Steam than originally on PS4 at release in 2017).

Long story short: maybe it's just me, but OT being full price on Steam in 2019 doesn't seem too surprising to me, even with it being a late port of a timed exclusive.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I get what you're saying, from a consumer standpoint especially. All I'm saying is that I also get where publishers are coming from when pricing a game like that in this way (full price), as its existence on another platform, which you, as a paying consumer, are seemingly not interested in anyways, doesn't really have a huge impact on the current pricing decision, especially if it's been only one year (and not, like, three or more with stuff like Horizon Zero Dawn e.g., which still was only 10€ less on Steam than originally on PS4 at release in 2017).

Long story short: maybe it's just me, but OT being full price on Steam in 2019 doesn't seem too surprising to me, even with it being a late port of a timed exclusive.

Also in this exact case Octopath has maintained its price on Switch as well, and is evidently still selling at that price. There's no reason to undercut that full price if one platform is still shifting units at that price.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
First playthrough I got bored half way through and gave it up. I wanna try again but worried it'll meet the same fate.

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
Octopath Traveler is my favorite RPG of this generation. Probably my favorite of all time!

Congrats, team !

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Fantastic, hopefully Triangle Strategy enjoys similar success. OT had some issues but overall was a great game and I want more 2D HD titles. These are the kinds of games I was hoping Tokyo RPG factory would make when they announced I am Setsuna.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
My gf was interested in this game, although I remember reading on here that the story was a drag, is that true ?

Each of the 8 characters has their own 4-part story and then after you complete everything, there's a little post-game content though it's a little tricky to find. From what I played, I didn't find the stories to be very interesting. There's also very little interaction between the 8 characters.

I really liked the demo of Octopath Traveler, but as I played the full version, it felt more and more repetitive and I ended up abandoning it. Lots of potential there to make a killer game if they ever do a sequel though.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017

Thats's a fair argument, and as a Switch owner, I was originally interested in getting the game there until rumours of the PC version surfaced. Thankfully in the end, I paid half-price in a sale at £25, which I felt was fair. I would have even been personally been fine with it being new at the £35-40 range. Not a steep reduction from the original Switch price, but enough of a 'comfort buffer' to allay that wait.

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom
wow, thats great! Hope they recognise that this visual style is loved and they will be doing some remakes of older FF titels.
FFIX (the best Final Fantasy) in this art style is my dream.

I bought it a month back when it was on sale.

Boring as can be but it is very, very pretty. Hopefully the next one improves and isnt as repetitive.

While I don't think the game is boring, it can be improved. I love the systems in the game. Take those elements and marry them to a cohesive and compelling story and you have a winner. The fractured narrative structure is my biggest complaint.

Last edited: