• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I guess the PC port pushed unit sales to that extra million.

Octopath 2 will decline from the first for sure but should still be a relative success.

Bravely Default II will do well, too, I'm sure there's an itch for another old-school JRPG by now.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Octopath 2 will decline from the first for sure but should still be a relative success.

Bravely Default II will do well, too, I'm sure there's an itch for another old-school JRPG by now.

Supposedly this is only referring to sales on Switch, so it reached that without PC sales. Which are somewhere around 100-200k apparently.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Guess we have to wait for an official statement from the JP account now. Their last update was for White Day.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Only decent JRPG in the last ten years, since XBC1. Glad to see them doing well.

Actually I'm being too pessimistic, Bravely Default and Fire Emblem Awakening, so eight year drought.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Enjoyed the game and completed, I think, all of the (minor) side quests on top of the eight character stories. Didn't get around to doing any of the postgame stuff. I have no idea what's there at all. I did do the secret class fights. Those were great.

Terrific music and combat, solid writing but slipshod plotting. I don't mind, and even enjoy, as an idea, that there are eight unique character stories that do not connect to one another, and that the party forms out of a need for mutual support. Really, what bothers me the most regarding the story is that the scenarios and character beats are not paced out well. The episodes are truncated and the storytelling is awkward for it. Regardless, the game was simply fun to play and I appreciate what they were striving for. I'm in for a sequel, and I think they'd improve on the common complaints.

The side quests being open ended and revolving around character talents was pretty cool and I'd like to see something like that explored more in the sequel.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
I might bite this on steam, was waiting for that 50%.

From what i read people talking about It, graphics/artstyle, music and battle mechanics are the strenght of this game. Many inconveniences though.

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Bravely Second also still did over 700k. Not quite the failure people make it out to be.
Sales of Bravely Second have always seemed to me a direct result of Square Enix being cheap. You have a huge success with Bravely Default and you give the sequel less than half the budget and they have to reuse almost everything?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sales of Bravely Second have always seemed to me a direct result of Square Enix being cheap. You have a huge success with Bravely Default and you give the sequel less than half the budget and they have to reuse almost everything?
They might have got away with it if it was a quicker turn around but it was 18 months after For the Sequel, which was a year after the original release in Japan and that's where most of the decline happened.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Was this game actually good? I remember people being disappointed

Depends on what you value.

Some people dont like the story structure or the lack of party interactions. The chapters all follow a rigid structure bar 2 and there are 32 chapters in the game.

If you can dig trying an open world old school inspired JRPG with great music great art and a great battle system you'll like this.

If you really value story, characters and plot and more free flowing game structure you may not enjoy it.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Well they actually do, but they stupidly put all of that behind a very obscure side quest.
Yeah, I mean in the main story.

Many people thought that the eight stories were a prologue or something like that and then the plot would advance with all eight at once like in a standard JRPG.

I never understood why people expected that if they never said it would happen.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I mean in the main story.

Many people thought that the eight stories were a prologue or something like that and then the plot would advance with all eight at once like in a standard JRPG.

I never understood why people expected that if they never said it would happen.
even ignoring that, another [imo valid] complaint is the structure. you do the same thing for 8 characters, 4 times for each. they needed to mix it up a little bit.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
even ignoring that, another [imo valid] complaint is the structure. you do the same thing for 8 characters, 4 times for each. they needed to mix it up a little bit.
That complaint is legitimate, yes.

But many people expected something similar to FF VI because of the artistic style and found something different.

It is as if you buy a book thinking that it is a novel and it is an anthology. Are the anthologies bad? No, but you didn't want that.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Great game, finished all 8 stories...

But the level needed to beat the last post game secret boss was insane, had to watch this on youtube
Same lol. Beat the 8 mini bosses and then got beaten down hard by the end boss, it wasn't even a proper battle. Didn't feel like spending the hours needed to do this, so I ended up watching the ending as well.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
How did I miss this thread ...

Well anyways this is amazing and I am very happy one of the JRPGs I hold in the highest regards from recent years is doing this well.

edit: Also its fun to see how many people struggled with the final boss, one of my favourite fights in a JRPG - super cool and challenging.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
By the way, is it wrong to assume that DQXIS is around 1 million at least? I mean, it's around 500 000 in Japan alone, and that's physical only.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Glad the game did so well. I think it will go a bit higher than that even. It's steadily selling under the radar for a while now.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cool game. I'm very glad it sold well. Here's hoping for a sequel that improves on the game's shortcomings.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
This game disrespects player's time like no other. I had to quit after the ridiculous tame it takes to beat the bosses.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

This is likely all on switch being a Nintendo tweet. Not sure why you expect the second to drop, the game suffered from quite severe shortages and has managed to have a long tail for a JRPG despite that.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
This game disrespects player's time like no other. I had to quit after the ridiculous tame it takes to beat the bosses.

Only if you aren't utilizing its simple mechanics properly. Break, boost, buffs, and debuffs increase your damage output literally exponentially.

If anything, I would say Octopath greatly respects its players' time, and was designed specifically for the Switch's handheld nature, considering all its story chapters are easily digestible ~45min chunks.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Literally just took it out of the games cabinet to take it to the used games store later. I was excited for it after the demo but the full release failed to keep me interested, especially when other/better RPGs started piling up on my Switch backlog. The lack of an overall narrative and interaction between party members weren't for me. Still interested in future games from this studio and of course BDII.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Liked the game a lot. But bravely default 2 can't come soon enough!

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
I bought it but I didn't love it

It has a great foundation to build on though which is exciting