• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Glad you love it OP! I like the combat system and music, but everything else about it was either underwhelming or disappointing to me. It's a testament to the battle system that it held my attention as long as it did (~25 hours).

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
I don't know man. I was in chapter 2....and did Chapter 2's with everyone and it was an absolute slog of a grind with all battles just taking forever.

Real question here. Do i need to get the second classes to make this go more smoothly and better equipment? The equipment is really expensive in the game as well.
I would say that if you go through Ch2 with the whole cast and find the shrines that allow you to access 2nd jobs, the game certainly becomes very smooth. I think that besides the final boss, the start of Ch2 was the only time I felt the game had some challenge, and indeed battles take longer at this point as you don't have access to many skills yet.

So, if you go through Ch2 with all 8 characters, I would say that the game won't feel like a slog anymore to you. However, the side effect is that there is a slow burn if you then play Ch3 with all 8 again, and finally Ch4 (happened to me and many others that played it this way - game is still great though).

Feb 21, 2019
I would say that if you go through Ch2 with the whole cast and find the shrines that allow you to access 2nd jobs, the game certainly becomes very smooth. I think that besides the final boss, the start of Ch2 was the only time I felt the game had some challenge, and indeed battles take longer at this point as you don't have access to many skills yet.

So, if you go through Ch2 with all 8 characters, I would say that the game won't feel like a slog anymore to you. However, the side effect is that there is a slow burn if you then play Ch3 with all 8 again, and finally Ch4 (happened to me and many others that played it this way - game is still great though).
Yeah, I think that is my issue. I just need to get those second jobs. Is there a general consensus about which classes pair the best together?

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Yeah, I think that is my issue. I just need to get those second jobs. Is there a general consensus about which classes pair the best together?
Yes, but mostly when it comes to the secret 4 jobs - and you only need to worry about it late game. For instance, the most badass pairing is
Tressa/Runelord

For pairing with regular jobs, don't worry so much as almost all of the pairings work out in some way. For instance, people like Olberic/Dancer. Some of my personal favorites (until I got the secret jobs) were Tress/Cleric and Cyrus/Thief (I guess this one is kind of unusual - but works!).

Last edited:

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I loved everything about the game other than the true final boss and the gauntlet running up to it. Just a damn slog, and having to use two different teams makes things so much harder.

Edit: Now that I think about it, there were a few of the Cleric's chapters I absolutely loathed story-wise (anything to do with that annoying little shit of a child).

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
i liked it but never finished it because it just sucks your soul out with its repetitiveness and grind at the end to bring characters up to level

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I will say one thing that does make me laugh is robbing everyone blind with Therion. Everyone. Old man down on his luck? Robbed. Children with candy? Robbed. Some lucky chap who just struck gold? Robbed.

Then after robbing them you can challenge a lot of them to a duel with Olberic. Strolling into a town, robbing everyone, then knocking them unconscious is way more stupid and funny than it should be. Especially since we're supposed to be the heroes.

Feb 21, 2019
Yes, but mostly when it come to the secret 4 jobs - but you will need to worry about it late game. For instance, the most badass pairing is
Tressa/Runelord

For pairing with regular jobs, don't worry so much as almost all of the pairings work out in some way. For instance, people like Olberic/Dancer. Some of my personal favorites (until I got the secret jobs) were Tress/Cleric and Cyrus/Thief (I guess this one is kind of unusual - but works!).
Thanks for the tip!

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Yeah, unless you plan on tackling the post-game content there is little to no grinding needed. Game is all about buffs, debuffs. and utilizing breaks effectively.

I found once I leveled up Cyrus and unlocked all of his skills it became easier. And that's not even unlocking the secret class of Scholar for him which gives him every elemental spell at his leisure that can triple attack all enemies. There were still some interesting dynamics to pull off, though. I usually opted to use Ophelia's divine skill on Cyrus which gave him the ability to use his spells four times in one turn for three turns which helped a ton to break bosses and do massive damage.

Once you get into late game you can really do some silly things to break the game and make even boss fights a breeze. Break a boss, have someone cast a physical defense debuff on him, buff Olberic's physical attacks with the Warrior skill Abide, then unleash his divine skill Brand's Thunder with a Battle-tested Sword with the Surpassing Power skill equipped and you could hit a boss for like 30-50K depending on resistances. Buffs and debuffs are HUGE in this game. If you're lacking BP just have another party member give him an Energizing Pomegranate (L).

Also, this game has some crazy lore that for some reason is hidden away post game where most people won't even bother to see it. I sorta made a LTTP thread recently about it, can check it out here if you want: https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-do-you-want-to-see-in-octopath-traveler-2.124867/

OP
OP
SantaC

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's fine party growth and synergy we're fun but i think bravely default series is better
I have only played BD, but that game was waaaay more repetitive than OT.

Then after robbing them you can challenge a lot of them to a duel with Olberic. Strolling into a town, robbing everyone, then knocking them unconscious is way more stupid and funny than it should be. Especially since we're supposed to be the heroes.

only duel against people who blocks a door, that's the whole purpose of the mechanic.

Last edited:

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The combat was what kept me going. I absolutely loved the combat. I also loved the individual stories, but the combat is absolutely brilliant. It is a little disappointing that
it all doesn't really condense into one narrative that ties all the characters together
but as a whole it's brilliant.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they keep the graphic style and the gameplay for a sequel. But change the storytelling. Ruined the game for me.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
From watching an acquaintance of mine play it for a few hours, the writing certainly seems lacking but TBH a lot of the problems I had with it(so-so characterization, corny themes, etc) are a problem with most jrpgs released today. I plan on giving it a spineventually.

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017
The combat was what kept me going. I absolutely loved the combat. I also loved the individual stories, but the combat is absolutely brilliant. It is a little disappointing that
it all doesn't really condense into one narrative that ties all the characters together
but as a whole it's brilliant.

It somewhat does, though it's all just presented as text dumps right before the final boss and it's fairly loose for some of them.

The combat and music were def the high points of the game though.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Gameplay/battle system & Music are both top notch, & some of the voice acting is actually very good. Some of the individual vignettes are nice, but even after getting to the post-game dungeon where things kind of "come together", it felt a bit underwhelming on the storytelling aspect. This is a great foundation for a game, and if they're able to write a good story to go along with it it will be fantastic.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I am really curious about why you think this.
While it doesn't have procedurally generated levels and permanent death, EO borrows other elements associated with roguelikes, which in turn were inspired by tabletop games like Dungeons & Dragons. See the developers as the Dungeon Master that came up with set dungeons and threats. I guess dungeon crawler RPG is a more appropriate term which wikipedia calls it.

It's always weird to me that JRPG and WRPG are such ingrained terms in gamer culture when it only says something about its country of origin. Not the game mechanics, writing, visuals etc. Saying something is a JRPG or WRPG says almost nothing about the game nowadays as the lines are increasingly blurred. Early JRPGs were inspired by D&D, Wizardry, Ultima and Might and Magic, but it diverted from them with its own genre tropes, forming the basis of classic JRPG series Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy that popularized Japanese console RPGs.

Look at it this way. Calling Etrian Odyssey a JRPG creates confusion when someone asks for recommendations and they're expecting linear narratives and character drama. There's a reason why wikipedia doesn't use JRPG as a genre.

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone knows a better way to grind levels than spam BG and hope I get a 100x I'd love to hear it. The difficult spikes killed it 20 hours in for me but I enjoyed it before that

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017
If anyone knows a better way to grind levels than spam BG and hope I get a 100x I'd love to hear it. The difficult spikes killed it 20 hours in for me but I enjoyed it before that

Honestly I would say it's less your level and more the strategy being used, some battles I found nearly impossible until I changed my party members and then everything went smoothly. The only grind should be if you want to do the final boss.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There is foundation for a truly excellent sequel but the repetitious design and awful writing really hold it back. It's one of the most rigidly structured JRPG's I've played in recent memory.

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly I would say it's less your level and more the strategy being used, some battles I found nearly impossible until I changed my party members and then everything went smoothly. The only grind should be if you want to do the final boss.

Yup, if you're having issues it's probably not your level that's the issue, it's gear, your party composition, skill selection, etc. Levels don't actually give you that much extra power. Even for the final boss there's not really any grinding needed as long as you take advantage of buffs/debuffs and certain skill interactions.

The only grinding I really did was just to get some JP since I wanted to use someone as a spell caster and didn't really have the passive skills on them that I needed.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I spent 100hrs doing everything in the game! Loved it so much. Beautiful, as soon as I laid eyes on it's trailer I knew I was in love. Like they went into my brain and copied a game I had dreamed about before... current, but retro inspired!

And the music! <3 <3 <3 Absolutely wonderful. One of my most fav games on Switch.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
One of my biggest problems with it was that even when you got OP as hell, even trash monsters took time because you still had to break them to do good damage. These encounters became very tiresome, time consuming, and repetitive. Even though gear was far more important than level in the game, simple random encounters began to feel like a damned slog just 15 hours in for me. Taking a minute or more to kill a low level group of lizards that can't damage you and that in another game you would quickly 1-shot sucks ass.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
One of my biggest problems with it was that even when you got OP as hell, even trash monsters took time because you still had to break them to do good damage. These encounters became very tiresome, time consuming, and repetitive.
You can do this fairly early with the scholar's multi-hit AOE spells and the merchant's Donate BP skill.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
There's so much I love about the game, but the writing and storytelling were a big letdown. And of course the weird structure with the various characters and their stories.

A sequel with the same quality as far as visuals and music, but paired with better writing and a proper story, could be a classic.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
You can do this fairly early with the scholar's multi-hit AOE spells and the merchant's Donate BP skill.
Sure, but it just feels like so much effort for stuff that you can just hold A on other RPGs to minimize. It's just unrewarding, and a large part of why many people call it "grindy" despite the complete lack of grinding necessity.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure those people know what grinding means.

At the end of the day it's up to the player to understand and utilize the game mechanics well.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you literally like doing the exact same thing with zero variation 40 times in a row, I guess it could be okay.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
The fight system and music truly shines but I hope the sequel tightens up the plot and pacing a bit. I loooove the game but as others have said it gets repetitive/predictable after a while and the optional (and might I add missable) skits really did a number on the group chemistry.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I have sunk 40 hours into the PC version and what a gem this is. The atmosphere and charm are top notch, but what's really standing out is the battle system. Who is saying that turned based combat is archaic? It works just as well today as it did 25 years ago.

Octopaths job system is some of the best I ever encountered. There are plenty of variation and strats, so I dont get bored with it. Not even the random encounters bothers me.

The overworld is pretty big and filled with towns. This is not something that we have been spoiled with lately. I also think the path actions are clever. Now you make every NPC useful in a way. The music is also good, and the graphics are a throw back to the old school games; though they went overboard with some effects. The story is fine, only negative is the party interaction I guess but I can overlook that.

I am plesantly surprised by this game. It is no FF6, but it is damn good. Probably a little underrated if you ask me. I like it better than Bravely Default. I am glad it made its way to PC.

I normally like games of this type, but I have to keep forcing myself to continue. Only around twenty-two hours in, but right now the combat is mostly uninvolved beyond a few of the bosses, and only a few of the character stories are interesting at all. Them also being mostly unconnected just makes it feel like I am playing Side Story: The Game. Maybe after multiple chapter 4s or whatever they end up forming something cohesive, but right now its mainly just autopilot battle after battle.

Oct 25, 2017
increased scrutiny because console exclusive. happens all the time.

I think there's a legitimate cultural mismatch with Western audiences. Basically none of the multi-protagonist JRPGs the game is loosely modeled after became popular in the US, with even the best of the bunch to be released here (SaGa Frontier and Minstrel Song) being massively divisive. On top of that, open-world JRPGs haven't really been that popular here ever, either.

The eventual sequel will definitely have multiple protagonists with separate plots as it is basically the series identity, but there are others games to model it after that might gel better with Western audiences. Something like Treasure of the Rudras structure would appeal to a lot of people that hated Octopath Traveler 1, but would alienate those that actually enjoyed the game's open worlds aspects as Treasure's coherent plots come at the cost of being independent but super linear stories.

Within the next year, the West is getting Romancing SaGa 3, SaGa Scarlet Grace, and Seiken Densetsu 3, so maybe we are in a resurgent era of multi-protagonist JRPGs.