• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I dropped the game, sadly. I found it was stylish but I didn't feel like I was traveling with a party - merely a bunch of individual characters with their own little stories. And the world largely felt like long corridors between towns.

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
I liked the game a lot, some characters had a pretty decent story arc but others were really bland.
I rushed through those. I had fun exploring and finding secrets, and with the battle system in general.

Jan 2, 2018
OT is a great JRPG with wonderful music and graphics, likeable characters and the best turn-based combat system ever put together.
It's structure is a bit repetetive and the stories, while enjoyable, could've been better.

It's a flawed gem. I can't for a sequel that will be even better than OT!

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
A JRPG with bad story. Why even bother playing it?

Because the combat is great, the music is great, the art is great. I also liked most of the characters. And I wouldn't say that the story is actively bad, it's just pretty average. Overall I really enjoyed my time with the game (75 hours)

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it has fantastic elements, battle system and aesthetic for example, but it's extremely repetitive with very little of value to break up the monotony.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
one of the best jrpgs of the last decade. game is so good and has so much variety in its different aspects. goat-tier battle system, goat-tier art style, goat-tier ost. good stuff.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i stopped playing after a few hours but i plan on going back. i loved pretty much everything about it, except for the idea of 8 separate adventures.
i really hope for a sequel they can keep the awesome style and music and battle system but just go for a different, less repetitive structure.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It rather boring. I stopped after a few hours. I should love it based on aesthetics and gameplay but it just didn't click.

SheriffMcDuck

Oct 27, 2017
The combat is a lot of fun, but eventually things just seem to take a little bit too long for my liking.

My biggest issue was not the fact there was no combined story for all 8 characters, or not even really there were very few interactions between characters. It was that the stories became really disjointed if you attempted to do all 8 characters first chapters, then second chapters, and so on. Playing 7 hours before getting to Cyrus' level 2 chapter just really made me not care at all about what was going on. It also didn't help that the game truly showed you that the entire game was enter town>use character ability to find out information>dungeon>boss fight, which is fine and works well for literally every other JRPG because that's pretty much how they all go, but something about this game, maybe it was the fact you're doing it 30 times in a relatively short time span, just really shined a light on it.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I dont see how this is more repetitive then other rpgs.
The gameplay loop is incredibly basic, it literally doesn't change until the very end of the game. Not only that, but environments (Towns/etc) tend to be very samey (Not in look, but in design). Once you have seen a chapter, you have seen them all.

There are no minigames, dungeons with puzzles, city building, massive world map, etc to keep things fresh and shake the formula.

Deleted member 51845

user requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
It's probably the most fun turn base game I've played. The battle mechanics are just great.

Conceptually they could have done some really fun stuff but yeah, the story becomes a copy and paste for almost each character. Being a surprise hit, they will no doubt focus on fixing that in the sequel.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
It is, OP, but much of what you'll find around here is hyperbolic negativity, vitriol, and reductive description.

Octopath did things its own way, and I love it for that. It has one of the best OSTs among JRPGs, the best traditional turn-based battle system I've ever played (which requires and rewards the player for creative thinking), charming personal short stories featuring some protagonists who were a breath of fresh air in the genre, an open-ended structure that's incredibly rewarding of curiosity and exploration, and a beautifully unique graphical style.

Spongehead56

Jul 6, 2018
Wisconsin
It's a wonderful game, with satisfying turn-based combat. The only thing I didn't like about it was the writing (I only cared about 4 of the 8 characters' stories); hopefully they improve upon it with the sequel.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Heck yeah. Under-appreciated gem- maybe not under-appreciated at lunch, but post-launch reception for the game has definitely been way more lukewarm than what it deserves.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
The mistake everybody makes is trying to do all 8 characters in one playthrough. If you do 4 first, and save the other 4 for a fresh run/NG+, you'll have a much much better time. One of the developers even said as much, but nay, people were actively looking for ways to hate this game, because apparently, that makes you look cool these days.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The mistake everybody makes is trying to do all 8 characters in one playthrough. If you do 4 first, and save the other 4 for a fresh run/NG+, you'll have a much much better time. One of the developers even said as much, but nay, people were actively looking for ways to hate this game, because apparently, that makes you look cool these days.

Playing all the characters given to you =/= looking for ways to hate on the game, that's a wack take

canonj

Oct 27, 2017
That's exactly what I did and I think I enjoyed it a lot more than some people here. I rolled with the first 4 characters (OCTO) through all of their chapters, then buffed my last 4 characters (PATH) with armor and weapons from the previous 4 run. Was awesome, IMO.
I went through the game with all 8 characters and loved it enough to sink over 80 hours into the game, but on a replay I'm going to try this method. Sounds like a good idea.

OP
OP
SantaC

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The gameplay loop is incredibly basic, it literally doesn't change until the very end of the game. Not only that, but environments (Towns/etc) tend to be very samey (Not in look, but in design). Once you have seen a chapter, you have seen them all.
There are no minigames, dungeons with puzzles, city building, massive world map, etc to keep things fresh and shake the formula.
Atleast it feels kinda open, you can explore a lot. A normal gameplay loop is town -> field -> dungeon in most rpgs.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I thought it was pretty boring, with super uninteresting individual stories that don't really intersect, horrible dungeons with requisite 2 or 3 "hidden" chests, all with basically the same layout. Boss fights were pretty cool, and the combat and music were good. Unfortunately, the game just asks you to do the exact same thing like 32 times and I couldn't stomach it for more than 10 or 15 hours. There were lots of good ideas in there, but the execution was highly lacking.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
The battle system and music were amazing and the way the story was split and small scale was very nice. I just wish the chapters had been less formulaic and I felt you could have done so much more with the path actions.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would have gladly traded seven of its stories for one proper one with an actual party. The RP part of the RPG was ruined for me by the token, unconvincing effort to make it seem like I had an actual party of characters and not just eight individuals.

I'm glad it wasn't a big deal for some people, but it ruined the game for me. At least it was pretty though.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
I am at 20 hours into the game and I am having a hard time returning to it. While I totally enjoy the round based fighting and the music, I just cannot enjoy the story. It is told poorly and boring. It just is too repetitive, as other people already pointed out. Plus: I literally hate that I have to keep, who ever I started the game with, in my party. I'd love to drop this character but I can't and now I am stuck with this character in my party...

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
Played 20hours. Enjoyed the first 15 hours like anything. Played the first 15 hours over 3 days. The next 5 hours over 1 month. It's repetitive

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
It's not difficult to see how some people will never like this kind of game when you compare it to other traditional JRPGs like Xenogears, Suikoden, Dragon Quest, Star Ocean, Lunar, Wild Arms etc. Be it critically acclaimed or mixed reviews, they all have something OT doesn't, and I would rather play the ones that received mixed reviews over OT.
I'm just thankful OT has a demo that made me scream 'No, never again'.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

I played them all at the same time and loved the game.

The game just isnt for everyone. Its cool for people to just not like what was offered. I found the game refreshing though and the battle system is top 5 all time. It is so fucking good.

A JRPG with bad story. Why even bother playing it?

Pretty well every JRPG has a bad story as far as I'm concerned.

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
The game is fantastic!

It shows that you don't need huge amounts of money to create RPGs better than some AAA out there.
Even a simple story, simple graphics and an old style battle system can be outstanding when done with care (and an amazing OST).

As a matter of fact, my favorite story was Teressa's, the merchant.
It was the simplest one, but it was written and voiced with such care, and with such an amazing soundtrack that the journey was pure joy.
And I can't get enough of the battle system.

We need more!

Jan 15, 2018
I unfourtunately found it too repetitive for it's own good. The battle system, art style and music are great, and the eight individual stories is an interesting concept, but they are just so boring and uninspired that everything became like a chore and I ended up dropping it.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The transitions from character specific pre-fight loops to the boss themes are something every JRPG, hell every game needs to learn from. These are my favorites:

Decisive Battle I (Primrose)

Decisive Battle II (Tressa)

Battle at Journey's End (Olberic)

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Hell yeah it is.

The music and visuals are godly, and it's got stellar combat to back it up. Easily one of the best games I played last year.

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
Almost a year after I finished the Switch version, I still fully believe this game has the best turn-based combat system ever made.

Add that to a world that oozes charm and variety, and you got a winner. Likely my favorite JRPG of the decade.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
The music is amazing.

I stopped halfway through because it was so repetitive.
It would have been an amazing 20-hour JRPG.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's a really good game, but everything dragged on for far too long. Sure, you don't HAVE to play all stories and characters, but completing the entire content the game has to offer shouldn't see you engage in such repetitive, drawn-out sequences. Every story setpiece is the exact same structure every time, with no surprises, no variations. Every dungeon is essentially the same totally linear path with some tiny branching "secrets". Every fight ends up boiling down to the same pattern. It got really boring after a while.

hammurabi

Oct 27, 2017
This game is fantastic. The combat and job systems mesh so well together and many of the battles feel more like puzzles you need to solve than standard boring JRPG battles. Especially the boss fights.

Some of the skill combos get a bit broken towards the end trivializing battles, but other than that I really loved this game.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It's a really good game, but everything dragged on for far too long. Sure, you don't HAVE to play all stories and characters, but completing the entire content the game has to offer shouldn't see you engage in such repetitive, drawn-out sequences. Every story setpiece is the exact same structure every time, with no surprises, no variations. Every dungeon is essentially the same totally linear path with some tiny branching "secrets". Every fight ends up boiling down to the same pattern. It got really boring after a while.
Yep
They need to go back to the drawing board with regards to the game's core structure. It would have been much better if each character had their own distinct game style, IMO. 8 totally different dungeon themes/concepts/layouts, with mechanics that specifically cater to the type of character you're playing would have been preferable to the "walk up for 3 screens and kill a boss" copy paste trash dungeons in the game.
It is H'aanit, any suggestions?
I have Ophilia with Dancer, Cyrus with Cleric and the third character is drop-in/drop-out depending on which Chapter I have to play, however, I tend to put Olberic in that position.
H'aanit/Warrior is goode. Excludest Olberic fromst thine partye, replacen with thine merchant/scholar