• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is very little overlap between consoles and PC, exclusivity matters between consoles.

Square Enix needs new successful IPs to push, since their AAA development is a mess, it can only benefit from PC sales.

That said i hope the sequel keeps this Switch-PC release plan.
Why though? Better it's on all platforms surely

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's probably referring to the WSJ's "undecided" tweet. It got a lot reports back in February and I wouldn't surprised if some of those reports got a little salty.
...that's so unrelated to saying they're unhappy with nintendo saying that version is exclusive. these directs aren't just put together last minute, SE themselves must have been involved with that trailer, OKing everything, there's no way nintendo got anything in there without their approval. plus in the stream SE themselves had after the direct (where they revealed the 3DS content is also coming to S) they talked about the direct and how big and positive the reaction has been.

kiich

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jan 2, 2018
Really not sure if I'd enjoy this game but glad it is coming to Steam.
Looks like something that could work great with Steam Link Anywhere.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
Every game should be available on PC for catalog reasons alone.

Many generations from now will be able to experience the greatness of Octopath Traveler.

Oh wow!

The same can't be said about X, which is already dead and buried on Wii U in 2019.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
The game interested me, but after hearing that you just play characters on a set story without them ever interacting with each other, made me reconsider.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The game interested me, but after hearing that you just play characters on a set story without them ever interacting with each other, made me reconsider.

That's not strictly true. They interact and directly comment on things during character chapters but it's separate from the main narrative.

I saw a comparison to Sense8 and it really seems appropriate.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
...that's so unrelated to saying they're unhappy with nintendo saying that version is exclusive. these directs aren't just put together last minute, SE themselves must have been involved with that trailer, OKing everything, there's no way nintendo got anything in there without their approval. plus in the stream SE themselves had after the direct (where they revealed the 3DS content is also coming to S) they talked about the direct and how big and positive the reaction has been.
Agreed. But you've seen how fanboy sites run with news... especially on youtube. Its entirely possible Ex Kiwami was just repeating what he heard.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Clearly this post only exists in the thread, pointing out that the game is dreadful, to point us towards Hollow Knight, which is also found to be a truly horrible game by many people / slogfest with no goals or navigation and too much mindless wandering around aimlessly and backtracking, not to mention bad platforming with imprecise controls.

In his defense it's less criticaly loved than Hollow Knight.

I for one only enjoyed Octopath enough to finish 1-2 stories before and I grew tired of it - it'd become extremely formulaic. I do however desperately want another game from the team where they take review and fan feedback to heart. iterating on and improving what they've done here - the visuals, music, and combat were all fantastic.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think DQ XI S is a very different case, SE doesnt even acknowledge that the game exists in thir own western social media. I wouldnt be surprised if some features are Nintendo only forever.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Interesting. Maybe i will play it.

If Final Fantasy VI is Goku Ultra Instinct tier who would be Octopath Traveler?

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
The same can't be said about X, which is already dead and buried on Wii U in 2019.
Luckily emulation is there to save X, and it's amazing :
mzydVHe.jpg
Can't wait to see XC2 with that kind of IQ in a few years.

But yeah, the less we're dependent on emulation to keep access to games the better.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Day fucking one and kinda surprised that Epic didn't pick it up considering its running on Unreal 4 engine. Guess they don't care much about "low" profile games or JRPG in general.

It is a million seller title.

I think Japanese publishers will keep releasing their games on Steam regardless of Epic's offering.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

One of the Switch exclusives I was going to purchase the system for. I will still buy both, but PC first.

Oct 25, 2017
That emulation is on Dolphin, right? I swear one of the big companies should pick those guys up
It's open source. Thankfully not everything in this world is controlled by corporate greed. Now what would be truly exciting to see is Nintendo providing code and documentation for the emulator thus contributing to the project like everyone else working for it. Obviously never gonna happen, but that's the way for corporations to actually do something relevant in terms of emulation. Their own releases of older system emulators are usually atrocious.

Deleted member 30151

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
...so no link? did you make that interview up?

Personally I think it's not even worth to quote you with that attitude. I'm no Jason Schreier, Liam Robertson or some other journalist or insider who got some spare time to dig up any tweet, interview or whatsoever he encountered during the past weeks. I was in a hurry while I wrote my comment and I still don't have the time to dig up the quote from the Square Enix Rep I've encountered. Yeah, this is the other side of ResetERA and people being a jerk to other is becoming more and more of a problem here and the reason that my Era here will soon be over.

https://gematsu.com/2019/02/square-...st-xi-will-receive-definitive-edition-content

This article here is quoting Square Enix that the company is undecided to bring the S-Content to other platforms. And yes, there was this tweet from Square Enix which was a little more gloomy and stated that it's always the plan to bring new content to as much systems as possible. That happened after the huge Shitstorm that PlayStation 4 Dragon Quest XI is now Vanilla. A game with about over 100 hours of gameplay if you play through the whole story.

Octopath Traveler is coming without additional content, so it will most likely be a straight up port of the version released for Switch. I still think that the game might be coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in the near future. Like someone else mentioned, Square Enix is all about Multi-Platform. And this means brining every new game to every platform when technically possible. I would go so far to say they would even bring games like Kingdom Hearts III or a brand new game like Final Fantasy XVI (which will definitely happen) to Switch if it wouldn't be such a technical hurdle.

Deleted member 30151

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Insulting another user, history of previous infractions.
so there was no interview after the direct where SE seemed not too happy that nintendo marked it as exclusive. cool.

God damn you're such an asshole. Fuck you I'm out of here. My limit is reached and I beg a mod to please delete my account. I know that there is no option to delete it myself so, please, any authority here, delete my account you have my full permission.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God damn you're such an asshole. Fuck you I'm out of here. My limit is reached and I beg a mod to please delete my account. I know that there is no option to delete it myself so, please, any authority here, delete my account you have my full permission.
i didn't do anything, you just brought up an imaginary interview where SE said something that they've never said, i (and a few other people) asked for a source, and then you failed to provide a source because it doesn't exist. as someone else predicted, you've taken the "undecided" statement and taken it to mean something it doesn't. that statement means they're undecided about bringing the content to other platforms and in no way shows they're unhappy with how nintendo handled the announcement because that's just impossible that nintendo did that without SE knowing first. don't make me out to be an asshole just cuz i called you out on something you made up.

Last edited:

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
Chill. You talk about an interview that doesn't exist, someone asks for a link. Google shouldn't be too hard, you don't have to be Liam to do that.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think it's not even worth to quote you with that attitude. I'm no Jason Schreier, Liam Robertson or some other journalist or insider who got some spare time to dig up any tweet, interview or whatsoever he encountered during the past weeks. I was in a hurry while I wrote my comment and I still don't have the time to dig up the quote from the Square Enix Rep I've encountered. Yeah, this is the other side of ResetERA and people being a jerk to other is becoming more and more of a problem here and the reason that my Era here will soon be over.

https://gematsu.com/2019/02/square-...st-xi-will-receive-definitive-edition-content

This article here is quoting Square Enix that the company is undecided to bring the S-Content to other platforms. And yes, there was this tweet from Square Enix which was a little more gloomy and stated that it's always the plan to bring new content to as much systems as possible. That happened after the huge Shitstorm that PlayStation 4 Dragon Quest XI is now Vanilla. A game with about over 100 hours of gameplay if you play through the whole story.

Octopath Traveler is coming without additional content, so it will most likely be a straight up port of the version released for Switch. I still think that the game might be coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in the near future. Like someone else mentioned, Square Enix is all about Multi-Platform. And this means brining every new game to every platform when technically possible. I would go so far to say they would even bring games like Kingdom Hearts III or a brand new game like Final Fantasy XVI (which will definitely happen) to Switch if it wouldn't be such a technical hurdle.

I don't think anyone was really being much of a jerk to you? It's just that no one else has heard anything like the rather inflammatory claim you put forward. It's virtually impossible that Nintendo marketed anything as exclusive against Square Enix's wishes.

I understand being frustrated with how people can behave on here — believe me — but in this case, I don't think it's warranted. It seems like you simply misremembered off-the-cuff. It isn't a big deal or anything to get upset over.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
That's what it's been like in just about every community that discusses this game. Reception seems pretty mixed.

I can see why people would say both. While I loved it, it really is a tedious and outrageously repetitive game. but it def has a lot of heart and is fun - kinda like the first nier, honestly.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I can see why people would say both. While I loved it, it really is a tedious and outrageously repetitive game. but it def has a lot of heart and is fun - kinda like the first nier, honestly.

Well, if you're gonna go and compare it to one of my top 5 favorite games of all time I may just have to pick up this game after all!

(though I'd argue the first Nier is only super repetitive if you try to do all the sidequests and get Ending D, but that's probably a discussion better had elsewhere :p )

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah like I'm no JRPG professional or anything but I still enjoy that game despite it's flaws. Honestly, I think for those that are outside of the Switch hype cycle and try the game on PC with an open mind will have a better time with it overall. Some people really did have this idea that it would be super heavy on character interaction throughout.

The battle system is sooooo good though. Every boss battle feels like it was a well earned victory. I'm still working on the endgame myself...

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Might get it if there's some mod that allows everyone to get exp, that suckedddd in the switch release

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Any word if the soundtrack will be released on Steam? I never bought OT on Switch and I will not buy it on Steam, but I would buy the OST without a doubt!

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it sells well on PC, too. It would be really nice if the eventual sequel doesn't suffer from Bravely's fate of getting a fraction of the budget despite the first game being a success.