• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Any changes/updates? It'd be nice if framerate could be unlocked. I know there will be those who say it doesn't matter for a game like this, but I think it would make it look nicer, especially when it comes to spell/attack effects and field movement.
It's Unreal 4, so a lot of tweaking should be possible with framerate, resolution, shadows and so forth.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
More people get to play a great game. If you like classic RPGs, I highly recommend this one. Gorgeous art style and one of my favorite RPG soundtracks, up there with the likes of Xenoblade 2 and Persona 5 in terms of modern classics.

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
Game deserves to be played by more people. It's not a masterpiece by any means but the music is amazing, art is incredible, combat is addicting if not repetitive... I wish the stories overlapped and interacted with each other more but I think it's a must play.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Causisly optimisc until I can actually preorder it on steam/other key seller. Too bad I wan't be able to transfere my save from the switch so I won't have to start from 0. Thought I should be able to pretty much cheat my way through what I already did, with the help of cheat engine.

As I already said when the rumor poped up I really hope someone mod in the ability to get every Party Banter regardless of the current party composition, shared xp outside of party, and the ability to swap the main character when changing the party composition. Those 3 changes alone would highly improve my experience with the game.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Enjoy, people. One of my favorite JRPGs of all time. Go into it knowing what to expect, and I think you'll love it.
  • Eight down-to-earth, self-contained short stories, rather than a single fantastical main storyline, although they're tied together via background information by the end.
  • Party interactions in vignettes from Chapter 2s onward, but otherwise the characters are alone during the telling of their stories. Consequently, have some suspension of disbelief for gameplay-story segregation.
  • Combat mechanics — breaking and boosting — are simple and intuitive, but deep in their potential gameplay. The game expects you to utilize them. Unlike many JRPGs, buffs and debuffs are absolutely crucial in Octopath, and affect bosses (so use poison, blind, leghold trap, etc!). The most efficient way to defeat bosses is to set up "burst windows" where your damage dealers have BP to unleash, are offensively buffed, and bosses defensively debuffed.
  • You can go virtually anywhere in the world from the very beginning. It's open. If you can brave the journey, you can even go to endgame towns and get endgame equipment from the get-go.
  • The scholar job's first passive reduces the encounter rate by 50%, allowing you to go entire screens without random battles, for those impatient with them.
  • Don't pay much attention to "danger levels" and "recommended levels." Levels in Octopath mean relatively little compared to equipment (always be stealing/purchasing from NPCs), character build, and strategy. You should be able to tackle stuff within 10+ levels of you with some care. You should never, ever have to grind during main stories.
  • Before moving on to Chapter 2 stories, I recommend exploring each Chapter 2 field area, because each contains a hidden shrine that will unlock the secondary job of whomever started in that region (e.g. Dancer - Sunlands; Apothecary - Riverlands). Unlocking the job system will massively increase your party's power and versatility.
  • How you approach the game structurally is up to you — whether you do all eight of each chapter before moving on to the next, or pick parties of four to do one at a time. Whatever you choose, I recommend just doing whatever you want at the time. The game's open-ended structure makes it so players can burn themselves out. If you get tired of Chapter 2s, move on to Chapter 3s. If you get tired of story progression, go rob a town or explore dungeons or puzzle out some side quests. Each character's story has a markedly different tone, so do whatever you're in the mood for at the time.
If you ever harve questions, we're at your disposal in the OT. :)
Thx a lot for all the info. I've been eyeing this game since It was announced. However about characters interaction and story connections, i heard they are very minimal, which made me lose interest a bit. Given that there is no main epic story, does the game end after you complete all chapters or is there a final boss to close the game?

May 26, 2018
1469987171047.gif

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the game and I am happy more people get to try it. Be warned that it isn't for everyone though. The turn-based battles are great and take on a new form once you get all the secondary job shrines. The stories are not well connected and are hit/miss, so that can't be seen as a main motivational driver. The music, art style, and the world design are all top notch.

It depends on what you are looking for.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
It's S-E, looking at their releases so far OT having Denuvo is inevitable.

The fucking Quiet Man has Denuvo.
Square Enix's quality control is so fucked. The same company that releases high quality content like Final Fantasy XIV 2.0 and up is coming out with absolute shit like The Quiet Man and Left Alive. It's incomprehensible.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Already had it for Switch since launch but never got around to it.

Will now buy on PC for that beautiful art in 4k.

Han

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Low effort OP lol.

Didn't expect a one year timed exclusive with Nintendo, that's usually a Sony/MS thing.
Great game (not as good as the Bravely games though), hope people try it. Glad it's not an EGS exclusive as some people joked about it last week too.
So... if I did not like the Bravely games, than the possibility is high, that i will not like Octopath Traveler either?

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Random battle toggle would be a godsend.
If you haven't played the game already, I'd recommend picking up Cyrus as maybe your second party member. Early on he unlocks a passive ability that reduces the encounter rate significantly. It's possible to make it through entire areas with only one encounter, even while going for chests. At times I found myself having to disable the passive completely so I could grind a bit more aggressively before a boss.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Thx a lot for all the info. I've been eyeing this game since It was announced. However about characters interaction and story connections, i heard they are very minimal, which made me lose interest a bit. Given that there is no main epic story, does the game end after you complete all chapters or is there a final boss to close the game?

The credits roll after you finish your beginning character's CH4, but there is indeed a short area and challenging superboss to unlock after beating all the final chapters, which ties all the stories' background connections up in a neat bow.

It is unequivocally a game about eight short stories, not one story with a hugely interactive cast. There are lots of banter vignettes where the characters get to know one another (~188 total banters if I did my math right), but they don't participate in each others' story scenes.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't like it personally but good to see. Hope whatever they're working on next is closer to Bravely Default

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
So... if I did not like the Bravely games, than the possibility is high, that i will not like Octopath Traveler either?
As others said, depends what you didn't like about Bravely. If Bravely was inspired by FF, Octopath is closer to Saga in a way.
Combat is better in Bravely, and narration is more focused too, but some might prefer the cast of Octopath and its simpler gameplay.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the game was pretty dang mediocre, but I might give it another chance on PC. Should certainly be a bit better with random encounter cheats and whatnot.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It already surpassed SE's expectation on Switch, hopefully they're making a new game with the same engine.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, PC folks are in for a treat. And you'll actually be able to play the game at a resolution higher than 720p!

Game is great, the more people to play it the better.

It already surpassed SE's expectation on Switch, hopefully they're making a new game with the same engine.

They confirmed they are! I'm pretty sure it'll still run on UE4 and retain the HD-2D aesthetic.