• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favorite Horror thus far in 2019

• Resident Evil 2

Votes: 243 61.4%
  • A Plague Tale Innocence

Votes: 35 8.8%
  • Devotion

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Blair Witch

Votes: 47 11.9%
  • Man of Medan

Votes: 34 8.6%
  • Pathologic 2

Votes: 15 3.8%
  • The Sinking City

Votes: 12 3.0%

• Total voters

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Most of the games i'd play are on ps2, which is not with me until november :( RIP fatal frame 2.

I'll probably play Medievil and get RE7 on pc. Does The Evil Within 1 run okay on a 970? i really wanna play akumu difficulty again :x

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really want to play Visage, but I've been holding off until it leaves early access/gets finished.

Did they mention console ports? If they got that working on PSVR that would be amazing.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Starting replays of REmake and Silent Hill 2 tomorrow, and I'm very excited about it!

Tam o shanter

Jun 2, 2019
I plan on playing all the Luigi's Mansion games (for the first time) leading up to the release of Luigi's Mansion 3.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Yume Nikki and PT I play every year, but for first time games hoping to hit

- Alien Isolation
- REMake 2
- Silent Hill 4
- Outlast
- A Machine for Pigs

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I actually finished Plague's Tale a few days ago. Aside from the last level or two (and final boss) I loved it. Super cool atmosphere and puzzles.

This month I had planned on Alien Isolation but after playing it a bit I've become very stuck in a early stealth section, and since hard mode = 1 hit kills (or at least at the moment they do) I can't figure out how to continue against eagle eyed AI.

Instead I'm replaying Evil Within which I'm absolutely loving. Some excellent levels and monster design, I'll finally get round to the DLC and sequel this time. Also I've got the secon Yamowari game to play through.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't actually plan for it to be this way, but I happened to start Resident Evil 2 around the perfect time to make this an October Horror game.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I might give Haunting Ground another spin since its been years. The two pursuers are relentless and disturbing af. Capcom at their peak experimentation with cat and mouse gameplay using 3d environments like RE:Outbreak. The type of horror in it gets really surreal and fucked up.

Also probably RE2 again with whatever new (non-adult) mods that are out.

Oct 29, 2017
Haha I'm kind of the same! Weirdly I used to be pretty good about it in my 20s. But I think in my early 30s job/life is stressful enough so the thought of using my leisure time to put myself under more stress is a little less appealing sometimes.

What I have started doing was having horror game nights with friends and co-workers every so often. Playing Until Dawn with a few of us role playing the characters was a true highlight.

Yeah, the only way I can play horror games is with friends. Lately we messed around in the Friday the 13th game and that was fun but still creepy.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Play Pathologic 2, Cowards.

Anyway my October list is likely going to be:
  • Man of Medan
  • Outlast: Whistleblower
  • Outlast 2
  • Alan Wake's American Nightmare
  • Layers of Fear: Inheritance
  • Layers of Fear 2

I should replay Yume Nikki, .Flow, and Yume 2kki as well...

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just so bad with horror games. I live by myself so I always get so anxious and nervous whenever I play a creepy game. I *want* to play the Dead Space games but can't manage :(

I was/am the same way. I have a love/hate relationship with horror games. They're honestly some of my favorite games but I get extremely anxious/tense when playing them. I've gotten better in dealing with them since I've played so many at this point.

What helped me was watching or reading a walkthrough of an upcoming level of whatever game I was currently playing. Yes, it's not ideal as it'll give you spoilers, but it also gives you a heads up on what to expect. I did that with a couple games and then I eventually "took off the training wheels" and just started going in blind. Playing during the day without headphones was helpful too.

Maybe try that out? I'm glad I stuck it out, as I said before, so many of them quickly became some of my favorite games to play.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I honestly forgot Blair Witch existed, and got 12% of the votes. Is it good? Haven't heard a single thing about it, and I lurk Era and r/Games almost daily

Akselziys

Aksys Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

I was surprised at how much I loved Death Mark, so I am super excited for NG and glad it's gonna launch simultaneously on PC.

Spirit Hunter: NG is a great choice! It comes out a week from Thursday on October 10th for PS4/Switch/VITA (digital only)/Steam :)

Should also try checking out Spirit Hunter: Death Mark as well, the 1st game in the Spirit Hunter series:
(also on Steam/PS4/Switch/VITA)

store.steampowered.com

Spirit Hunter: Death Mark on Steam

A strange rumor is spreading through the shadows of Tokyo's H City: a mysterious disfigurement has been appearing on the bodies of certain individuals. Anyone who receives the Mark will rapidly die of unknown, horrifying causes. The countdown to death has already begun...

Although I may be slightly biased towards both haha
But they're great horror game choices :D

Oct 29, 2017
I was/am the same way. I have a love/hate relationship with horror games. They're honestly some of my favorite games but I get extremely anxious/tense when playing them. I've gotten better in dealing with them since I've played so many at this point.

What helped me was watching or reading a walkthrough of an upcoming level of whatever game I was currently playing. Yes, it's not ideal as it'll give you spoilers, but it also gives you a heads up on what to expect. I did that with a couple games and then I eventually "took off the training wheels" and just started going in blind. Playing during the day without headphones was helpful too.

Maybe try that out? I'm glad I stuck it out, as I said before, so many of them quickly became some of my favorite games to play.

haha I'll definitely give it a go using your strategies. One day, I hope to try RE7 in VR :O

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
I'm buying the Amnesia collection on Switch. And I'm still deciding which to buy between Sinking City, Call of Ctulhu and Vampyr since they're all coming out soon on Switch too.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Spirit Hunter: NG is a great choice! It comes out a week from Thursday on October 10th for PS4/Switch/VITA (digital only)/Steam :)

Should also try checking out Spirit Hunter: Death Mark as well, the 1st game in the Spirit Hunter series:
(also on Steam/PS4/Switch/VITA)

store.steampowered.com

Spirit Hunter: Death Mark on Steam

A strange rumor is spreading through the shadows of Tokyo's H City: a mysterious disfigurement has been appearing on the bodies of certain individuals. Anyone who receives the Mark will rapidly die of unknown, horrifying causes. The countdown to death has already begun...

Although I may be slightly biased towards both haha
But they're great horror game choices :D
Is NG the same deal as Death Mark? Is it a direct sequel? The trailer doesn't explain too much lol.

Akselziys

Aksys Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Is NG the same deal as Death Mark? Is it a direct sequel? The trailer doesn't explain too much lol.

Just in case...

It takes place in the same world and you may hear about or see familiar stuff from Spirit Hunter: Death Mark, but you also can technically play Spirit Hunter: NG first as well if you haven't played Spirit Hunter: Death Mark already. Though I suggest you do if you can! :)

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've had P.T. on my PS4 forever and I've yet to actually play it. So I should finally play that.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I've been planning a Resident Evil series playthrough so I would like to hit a couple of those up at least. Also thinking Castlevania Lords of Shadow and Lament of Innocence since I've had the digital copies sitting for a while. And maybe Yakuza Dead Souls too. I'll probably get to none of these lol.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Gonna finish up Cold Fear and then hopefully start Pathologic 2. Might try Blair Witch on game pass but my expectations are as low as possible on that one.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Not a huge horror game fan or a Luigi's mansion fan so I'm thinking maybe something else. Call or Cthulu or Vampyr if the ports are good

htp314

Oct 31, 2017
I think I'm gonna try to finnish up some horror games from my backlog, Detention and Fran Bow

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I requested sinking city from the library and I bought the notary series? I think that is what they're called. 999 is one of them. That counts I think. I never finished until dawn so I'll try and do that next month!

ephexia

Feb 23, 2018
I already played Blair Witch. Didn't enjoy the game's story much but loved the psychological mind fuck stuff in it. I'll mostly be playing The Evil Within 2 (first time playthrough) and maybe a couple indie horror games in my backlog. Really looking forward to TEW2, the demo sold me on it last year but I waited for it to get a deep discount and then saved it for October.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Currently doing my... 5th?... run of Alien Isolation and enjoying it just as much as the first time. It's a masterpiece.

And it's production will never not be fascinating to me, coming from a team that basically exclusively worked on the Total War games and subsequently went back to that. Incredible one off accomplishment.

d9e2c2f52696b5c10d0b3162dc3bdaa0.jpg

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Devotion deserves more votes but well we know what happened there :(

Hopefully it will make its way back to Steam someday, one of the best horror games I've played. It certainly deserves a bigger audience.

Last horror game I played was Blair Witch and that was entirely underwhelming, hopeful for something to catch my eye for the Halloween season. I'm a big fan of lo fi indie horror, particularly games like Lost in Vivo and Concluse. Also Dead End Road is great fun though gets a bit repetitive once you've seen all the audio and sight gags. I feel point and click adventure can really elevate horror too given the time you spend in each location/panel, something about really sinking into the atmosphere of single environments makes it the perfect gameplay genre for it. I still need to finish Fran Bow, that one has such a good art style for horror, like a demented fairy tale (and one location in particular plays that theme up quite well).

If anyone has any relatively recent indie horror release recommendations I'm all ears, it's been a minute since I've found something engrossing. Considering giving Pathologic 2 a gander given some of the praise I've seen for it on Era.

kimbaka

Oct 27, 2017
I've had The Evil Within and Outlast 2 sitting in my library forever so I guess I should finally play those. Also gonna give Detention a shot.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Recently finished Evil Within 2 in FPS mode (which I highly recommend), and going to check out Death Mark next.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
If anyone has any relatively recent indie horror release recommendations I'm all ears, it's been a minute since I've found something engrossing.

Guess it depends on what you deem relatively recent but Darkwood was one of the most compelling horror games I've ever played, indie or otherwise.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Currently doing my... 5th?... run of Alien Isolation and enjoying it just as much as the first time. It's a masterpiece.

And it's production will never not be fascinating to me, coming from a team that basically exclusively worked on the Total War games and subsequently went back to that. Incredible one off accomplishment.

d9e2c2f52696b5c10d0b3162dc3bdaa0.jpg

This never getting a one X patch is travesty.

On a not really related note, I was hoping RE2 would be hitting gamepass in October.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
This is a bit of a question, but I don't have Silent Hill 2 - 4 yet, and I have no interest in the 'HD' collection, what about the Xbox version of 2 and 4 outside of control difference between the consoles? The Xbox version tend to go for half the price of the PS2 versions which is pretty nice since they all run around 30 to 40 each. But annoying 3 isn't on the Xbox so I would have one on PS2 and two on Xbox so that would be odd whenever I get done with Silent Hill 1 to jump back and forth between consoles for sequels.