• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CBS All Access has renewed Star Trek Discovery for Season 4, production to start November 2nd:

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Renewed for Season 4 at CBS All Access

'Star Trek: Discovery' Renewed for Season 4 at CBS All Access

October 16, 2020

Star Trek: Discovery will return.

A day after its third-season launch, CBS All Access has handed out a fourth-season renewal for the cornerstone of its rapidly expanding Star Trek franchise. Production on the new season will resume Nov. 2. A return date has not yet been determined.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I hope we learn more about Michael.

Serious want: I hope they don't retcon the end of S2, and I hope the new setting is permanent.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What amazes me is the turnaround time between renewal announcement and start of production on Season 4, just weeks from now, production will begin.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What amazes me is the turnaround time between renewal announcement and start of production on Season 4.

Disco was supposed to premiere back in april, and picard was going to take this time slot.. so they've been done on S3 for a good number of months (music was the only thing holding it up).

So they've had a ton of time to write S4 and prep, I'm sure they knew of the renewal internally for a good long time.

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
I just started watching this last night. Both the wife and I are first time Star Trek watchers.

The first 3 episodes have definitely hooked me... hope it holds up across the other seasons.

Happy to read it is getting a 4th!

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disco was supposed to premiere back in april, and picard was going to take this time slot.. so they've been done on S3 for a good number of months (music was the only thing holding it up).

So they've had a ton of time to write S4 and prep, I'm sure they knew of the renewal internally for a good long time.

Ah ok. I didn't know that the premiere of Season 3 was originally scheduled for April. I only knew a third season was in production set for a 2020 debut.

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
But YouTube told me it's an absolute ratings failure and was responsible for the assassination of John F. Kennedy and the space shuttle challenger disaster!

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't been a huge fan of it so far but will definitely give season 3 a look and I'll never complain about more Star Trek

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome news. I absolutely loved that they chained Lower Decks and Discovery S3 together for 23 continuous weeks of new Trek. I hope Disco S4, Picard S2, Lower Decks S2 and Strange New Worlds results in something similar. It would be awesome if we got nearly a full year of new weekly Trek...

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This means sexist trek people of this board are gonna be extra whinny this week.

"Why is that shrill crying female making the announcement and not that composed and dashing Pike that should be the lead instead!"

Last edited:

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
sounds like a lot more Star Trek is possibly planned for the next few years, rumors grow of a Deep Space Nine new show in the works too
www.giantfreakinrobot.com

Star Trek’s Deep Space Nine May Get A New Series

Could Star Trek: Deep Space Nine actually be returning? A new scoop says that CBS is considering a revival of the fan favorite show.

happy to hear Discovery season 4, I wait now until a season finishes before binging the whole thing but its a lot easier going in knowing its not ending on a unresolved cliffhanger.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, I thought that Discovery was already renewed for a season 4, because I was reading Wikipedia yesterday and it was already talking about it.

?

Last edited:

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
"But this isn't a real Star Trek show!!!!"

Suck it

LOL. Damn.

Honestly, this is me. I watched the initial 8 episode run of Discovery and didn't enjoy Trek's transition to a serialized prestige format. Most importantly, none of the characters had a hook that kept me watching. With past series, even if surrounded by community theater actors on budget sets, there were a few gems playing characters at the level of Sisco, Picard, Quark, Worf, Data, Dax, Spock, or Kirk to keep me loving it.

I'm actually surprised to read how positive so many on Era is on the show. Everyone I know IRL shared my reaction...or worse. Maybe I'm missing something. I definitely don't want to "suck it" so I think I'll give season one another view.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome news! My favorite Star Trek series after Next Generation. I know quite a few only started liking it with the second season but i was a fan since the start. I'm really happy so many Star Trek fans love this series as well and i hope it stays this popular so we can get many more seasons.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome news, Discovery is great. With them starting production this soon the wait for season 4 won't be too long hopefully. It would be great if it premiered in fall of 2021.

I'm actually surprised to read how positive so many on Era is on the show. Everyone I know IRL shared my reaction...or worse. Maybe I'm missing something. I definitely don't want to "suck it" so I think I'll give season one another view.
You should really do that, the first season started out a bit rocky but improved a lot towards the end and season 2 was great from start to finish.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4179

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ultimately glad that Trek lives on for another year, even in it's current terrible form. But goddamn am I not looking forward to suffering through S3 and S4.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Great news,

I love the current series and I really enjoyed Picard. I know its not a popular opinion here but after over a decade of no Star Trek and only those Abram movie to sustain me, I am happy with what we got.

I still have to watch Lower Decks. It will probably air after Discovery in Ireland.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
In retrospect, Picard was the good but still the worse out of all the new Trek shows. It just seemed like an extended pilot.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
"But this isn't a real Star Trek show!!!!"

Suck it
keep going, I'm sure you'll do some damage to that windmill eventually

Edit: Seriously though, there's a lot of valid criticisms about Discovery. Less so than Picard, but still. I think it's valid to be frustrated that Disco/Picard both seem to refuse to embrace the core idea of Star Trek. It's not to the extent it's "not Star Trek", but it's frustrating that both shows's writers can't seem to even begin to consider the possibility of just... coming up with stories within a universe that fits the optimistic universe of classic Trek. Each show just jettisons or tries to subvert possibly the most unique and interesting thing about Trek. Just feels cheap, but at least Discovery gets some decent moments in along the way. It could be so much more though. Just so many squandered opportunities. I don't think it's fair to boil it down to complaining it's not Trek, as I'm sure even the people who really hate the shows would just want them to be... better.

I was so hopeful for DS season 3 and while the opener wasn't bad, it was immediately frustrating to me that every time they push the "what if not actually utopian future" button. Gah.

Last edited:

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Yay. I like the show. Is it perfect? No. TNG and DS9 weren't either, despite being really good as a whole. But it is better already IMO than Voyager (which often gets sooo close to being good and then drops the ball) or Enterprise (which is hit and miss also). I think it is better than Picard too (which was just OK).

Then again I'm not a die hard Trekker despite my fondness for the franchise. My favorite show is Babylon 5, after all.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
If you aren't hate watching it, I guess you're doing it wrong.

Discovery Hate Watchers:
fwh15gpqn5p51.jpg

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
In retrospect, Picard was the good but still the worse out of all the new Trek shows. It just seemed like an extended pilot.
Yes, I enjoyed it, but it felt flawed in a few ways. (Romulan Legolas being the most shoehorned in bit.) But now that the whole "crew" has been introduced, and certain plot points have been tied-up, hopefully they can go somewhere more interesting with it in a second season. I hope Romulan Team Rocket shows up again.

Sammex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad it got renewed. Season 2 was an improvement on the slow klingon stuff in s1. Hoping S3 will continue the trend.