• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How and when should Ocarina of Time be released?

• Current Switch, visual remaster

Votes: 105 13.2%
  • Current Switch, full-fledged remake

Votes: 143 18.0%
  • Next generation Nintendo console, visual remaster

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • Next generation Nintendo console, full-fledged remake

Votes: 273 34.3%
  • Do not remaster/remake Ocarina of Time.

Votes: 239 30.1%

• Total voters

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I'll be happy with a remastered version of the 3ds remake. I'd hate for them to mess with the art style , and make it look like BOTW.

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As people said a HD version of 3DS version is enough, for Majora's Mask maybe add MM3D's restoration mod's QoL features with a classic mode.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They could port the 3d remakes for the switch.
It would give some trouble but...i would vastly prefer it.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, there are really people out here thinking freaking Ocarina of Time will never get a HD remake, ever. Wow lol. Guess people will have to play the 3DS version in 30 years, right?

Yes. Albeit upscaled, I would presume that would be the most likely scenario.

Nintendo doesn't do the kind of remake you're asking for, the most you get is a graphical overhaul and minor additional content. They done it probably dozens of times by now, whereas they've never done a re2 style ground up reimagining. Nintendo simply isn't going to spend the 3-5 year Dev cycle on a remake like you're imagining when the same team could be making a new game instead.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
The 3DS remake is already perfect, just port that to Switch and improve the textures, maybe the lighting too if possible. I wouldn't want any other changes past that.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Well of course, Ocarina was a technical break through, but I think as well as being a very well designed game, the story was very memorable and resonated with people because it was a coming of age story of Link growing into a young man. When I played it I was about young Link's age and about to enter high school. So yeah it's an very well designed game, but it's very nostalgic because of the nature of its story.
Did he really grow, though? It was a similar situation to the movie Big.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I know, there's something very nostalgic about the spent youth and getting another chance.

285px-OOT_Ending.jpg

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i think at this point you'd need a full fledged remake/reimagining. Keep the same story beats and general makeup of the game, but expand it to the nth degree and redo all temple puzzles so it's a new experience for everyone. My biggest issue with replaying the games now is I somehow still remember most puzzles and how to solve them

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just was an as-is 64 port to the Switch, same with Mario 64, make new games instead. Plus, we already did get a refresh on the 3DS.

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
This would get me to play it for the first time, don't really have the desire to in its current state. I think before oot I'd like a lttp remake first though. That ones especially nostalgic for me.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I'd rather they make a new game in that gameplay style (classic 3D Zelda). Zelda, due to its puzzle focus, is not exactly the best choice to play again and again.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
That's why Majora's Mask works so well as a direct sequel. It's a story about a kid who has been forced to grow too fast, trapped in an adult's body in Ocarina of Time. He's now, in his kid's body, forced to live again and again and again the same few days...
Even more horrifying, he's trapped in a world of death. A world supposedly doomed to being destructed, and even without the moon, it's a world of stories of death, of hatred, of regrets, of mourn.
Seen from the eyes of a kid, who isn't really a kid anymore.
Link got his whole youth taken from him. While Ocarina of Time ends on a wonderful, cheerful and hopefull ending, Link ready to finally have a youth, Majora's Mask arrives and is a tragedy during the whole thing. In the end, Link just goes back to his world, and goes back to his journey, kinda like a samurai's or western's protagonist.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it could happen I guess, but I think Nintendo would need to plan it out. For example, if the next 2D Zelda is going to be a remake (like Oracles) then after BOTW2 the next 3D Zelda being a remake may be seen as a disappointment for many, unless it's a complete re imagining.

Maybe the solution is for a new 2D Zelda and 3D remake. And they could sort of alternate.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I'm kinda shoked to see so many "don't remaster/remake it" votes. Why ? Update the 3DS version for HD.
It's such a perfect version. Sure I'll go back to the N64 version when the N64 Switch Online App will launch, but damn I don't think I'm ready to go back to that old version.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Would love to see OoT get a remake, and I don't mind whether its on the Switch or the next console after it. I think it definitely needs a remake.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Anyone who thinks OoT will never receive a ground up HD remake is kidding themselves. It's one of Nintendo's most important games in their history.
Like Mario 64, Wii Sports, ALttP, Mario World, Super Mario Kart....

Nintendo likes to dump old games on us, but complete remakes beyond slightly improved graphics are rare.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
The OOT remake is 9 years old.

That's still a lot better than what a lot of the other games have. Zelda 2, 3, and Skyward Sword don't have any remakes or remasters at all. ALBW started as an LTTP remake, but evolved into a full fledged sequel. Zelda 1 only has the Satellaview remake, which is so obscure and different that it might as well not count. And that's just the mainline home console games.

Luminary

Dec 28, 2019
I'd say around 2022-23 it will be likely -- officially a remake but really more of a reskinning of the original with a few quality of life improvements, like the "Link's Awakening". My reasoning is that BotW2 looks to be 2020-21 and in 2021-22 I'd expect DLC and smaller titles -- almost certainly quickie ports of the HD versions of WW and TP and Skyward Sword.

However, I would expect another version of the Switch Lite before the next generation, much like the 2DS XL was launched late in the 3DS lifecycle -- probably hitting late 2022 or early 2023. It will need a launch game and Zeldas usually do well for Nintendo to sell consoles. SS isn't anywhere near popular enough (if anything, I expect them to try to position it as the "fitness" Zelda by remapping the motion actions to Ring Fit style mechanics). However, being nearly OoT's 25th anniversary, OoT would be the obvious title - not as big as a whole new game but still huge name recognition. Enough time will have passed -- for those who first knew OoT through the 3DS to be adults susceptible to nostalgia -- think how much of Link's Awakening's advertising played explicitly on nostalgia.

So yes, I think that's highly likely -- and Grezzo are already very familiar with the game. Yes, it's relatively soon to do another remake but a 12 year gap is roughly the same as between Wind Waker and WW HD, let alone TP and TP HD. Also, Zelda has been hugely backward-looking as a franchise in recent years. Therefore I doubt it will stray too far from the original apart from graphics but it will still be billed as a remake rather than an upres.

Personally, I'd prefer a wholly original 2D game but I'm not sure EPD3 can give attention in-house to a full-scale 3D and a full-scale wholly original 2D game concurrently (without delaying the 3D one at any rate, and they'll want a new Zelda title for it asap). So it would be carried by Grezzo and they seem, in the main, happier to keep Grezzo doing remakes rather than original works.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
The 3D version is great. There's no need to remake OoT or MM.

You'll be able to play them on the Switch when Nintendo inevitably releases the N64 app for the Switch, like they did for NES and SNES.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Damn, there are really people out here thinking freaking Ocarina of Time will never get a HD remake, ever. Wow lol. Guess people will have to play the 3DS version in 30 years, right?
It already got a remake on 3DS. In Nintendo's eyes, that may be enough, especially if they view it as an obsolete style of 3D Zelda post BOTW. I do not agree on either count, but it doesn't matter what you or I think, it matters how Nintendo sees it. They may not view OOT in the same light anymore. I don't personally think we're ever going to see an HD remake of it . I doubt we ever see a port of the 3DS version to be honest. I think the most we will ever get is the N64 version on a Classic Console or the Switch Online Service.

If you think that sounds absurd or cynical, I'll point out that that's just how this industry is with retro games. There are a ridiculous number of amazing, classic games you can't play on a modern platform at all, and probably will never be able to. This industry and these big companies are just not concerned with preservation of their classics. Nintendo used to be better about this, I feel, but they have taken a big step backwards so far on Switch.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly fine with just an HD port of the 3DS version.

Other than Link's Awakening, and possibly the NES games, I don't think any Zelda games need a real remake. They're all pretty much the same thing when it comes to story and structure, so a remake that changes the material content of the game may as well be a new installment. Like, OoT is already just a 3D remake of ALttP in a lot of ways.
Oracle of Ages and Seasons say hello. They need it as much as LA

Though LA being the limpest of all possible remakes by being stubbornly over-faithful makes anything by that team eh

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The 3ds version is cool and all but its still so similar to the original and you can't play it on console. It was also worse in a bunch of visual ways ie the colour palette in some situations and the censorship.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who finds OoT vastly overrated preferably neither.

Give me a remake of the Oracle games.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I would be fine with an HD port of the 3DS games on the Switch, I'm totally willing to wait for a Hero of Time collection for whenever the next Nintendo console can do it at 4K and 60 fps, with adjustments to lighting and additional changes to the Majora's Mask remake (such as having mask switching on the d-pad, Deku jumping being fixed, etc.)

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Remaking Zelda games with a big budget would be weird because many of them repeat the same premise. Link, Zelda, Ganon are reborn in Hyrule and it feels like a reimagining already. Like Twilight Princess kind of felt like JJ Abram's Ocarina of Time.

I think Zelda games have a lot more differences between them than the average series personally. Even Twilight Princess I think has more differences from Ocarina of Time than people say, though I definitely get how it feels like a reimagining of OoT in a lot of ways.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ocarina of Time should get what Final Fantasy Remake is getting (but not episodic).

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Remake Zelda 1 and 2 as one game instead. I'd be fine with just porting the 3DS remakes of Ocarina and Majora to Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
Remaking Zelda games with a big budget would be weird because many of them repeat the same premise. Link, Zelda, Ganon are reborn in Hyrule and it feels like a reimagining already. Like Twilight Princess kind of felt like JJ Abram's Ocarina of Time.
I never ever understand how people say Twiight Princess is OOT 2.0
Is it because of the artstyle? becuase outside of the first 3 dungeons being Forest-Fire-Water,They barely have anything in common story wise or gameplaywise
(Also id rather Skyward Sword get a remaster first that fixes some of the issues the original game had like OOT 3D, MM 3D ,WW HD and TP HD did)

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I never ever understand how people say Twiight Princess is OOT 2.0
Is it because of the artstyle? becuase outside of the first 3 dungeons being Forest-Fire-Water,They barely have anything in common story wise or gameplaywise
It's the same basic story, human Ganon wants to conquer/destroy Hyrule except this time uses Zant and the power of the twilight. Many locations like Hyrule Town and Zora's domain are the same but bigger, Kakariko Village is more western-themed but is placed on death mountain yet again and like you said the dungeon order. It also brings back the poe hunting. It brings the temple of time back right next to the master sword and plays the same music as you enter it.

But it doesn't have to be exactly the same, as remakes and reimaginigs often aren't but Zelda games often feel like they are anyway so why spend a few years instead of making a new game? It's not like Final Fantasy where each time they do a new villain, or world with a completely different modern or technoligal art style.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I think all we'll ever get is the same game with a fresh coat of paint, but that already happened on 3DS. I think if it does happen again (or a fully fledged remake), it ain't happening for a while.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Just give OoT3D the HD treatment. The game has been iterated on enough already, it doesn't need a full ground up remake.

I wouldn't object to a 60fps overhaul though.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Anybody who jogs from one end of Hyrule Field to the other and doesn't think the game is in desperate need of a full-fledged remake is crazy. It's got such a strong nostalgic place in my heart, but that game is a chore to play by 2020 standards. Combat and puzzles would need an overhaul as well. I would love to see the N64 vision fully realized on Switch.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
How does ocarina 3d look on uprezzed emulators and stuff? I imagine it's probably surprisingly nice.

Give me Link to the Past with orchestral music, 360 degree movement, boss updates and the quality of life improvements from Links Awakening on switch. Animated cut scenes also welcome.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Just visual + some little tweaks here and there if needed. I can't see how you could modernize gameplay/level design without changing it completely.