• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How and when should Ocarina of Time be released?

• Current Switch, visual remaster

Votes: 105 13.2%
  • Current Switch, full-fledged remake

Votes: 143 18.0%
  • Next generation Nintendo console, visual remaster

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • Next generation Nintendo console, full-fledged remake

Votes: 273 34.3%
  • Do not remaster/remake Ocarina of Time.

Votes: 239 30.1%

• Total voters

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Let's assume Ocarina of Time 3D sold well enough that Nintendo decides to give it another go. My first question is pretty simple; Do you think Nintendo should put forth an updated Ocarina of Time on the Switch, or do you think they should save that ace card until their next generation console?

If you do believe Ocarina of Time should return, what would you like to see? A visual remaster running on the same bones as the original? A complete remake similar to Final Fantasy 7?

I believe it would be a great launch title for whatever console succeeds the Nintendo Switch, and I'm not talking about a Switch Pro.

I don't want a fresh coat of paint on the exact same game with the exact same controls and cutscenes as the original game. It's time to build Ocarina of Time from the ground up. Follow the same overall plot threads from the original game, but flesh out the story with new information, for example; what happened to Link's parents who abandoned him in the forest? What happened to Zelda during the 7 year time skip? I think it would also be welcomed if they expanded on the origins of Ganondorf, or maybe show how he assumed control during the 7 year time skip. I'd be a big fan of pre-rendered cutscenes, though that may be a controversial opinion.

Expand upon the characters in the game. Add more interactions and dialogue, and give them daily routines similar to Majora's MaskZ. Ocarina of Time is teeming with interesting characters, it just needs to do more with them.

Expand upon all of the locations. Especially Hyrule Field. Make Hyrule Field more lively. People traveling on foot or horseback, traveling merchants, greater enemy variety, roaming bosses, so forth. Weather. Did I mention wildlife? Because wildlife.

Expand upon places like Hyrule Market, Zora's Domain, Goron City.

Add more detail to areas.
z_comparison-9.jpg

tumblr_pio6bv2dZb1xi4ud3o7_500.gifv

Ocarina of Time 3d knocked this out of the park on interiors such as shops and houses. I'd like to see locations like King Zora's throne room get a full fledged makeover, same with Darunia's Chambers. Breath of the Wild would be a great reference point. All of the different races were represented so well, with each location filled to the brim with so much culture and detail.

Lastly, let us win the fishing pole from the Fishing Pond. Seriously.

And make the useless masks more useful. And add more masks with different perks.

SSBUYoungLinkIdle1.gif

RMeGZbi.jpg

This should be the bar for visuals, at least.

That's all I've got, Era. This is still my favorite game of all time. I think it always will be. I want to see it reincarnated as something fresh and new, while getting to relive that classic experience in glorious detail.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as i love OOT, i'd like to see a Majora's Mask remake instead. Would be way more interesting. In fact, your description on how they could handle the remake make me want it even more :'(

And i'd like A link to the past over OOT too i think.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Just give me a official version in a higher resolution and fast framerate on modern devices. Also so many people requesting remakes of their favorite games, devs won't have time to make new games lol.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly fine with just an HD port of the 3DS version.

Other than Link's Awakening, and possibly the NES games, I don't think any Zelda games need a real remake. They're all pretty much the same thing when it comes to story and structure, so a remake that changes the material content of the game may as well be a new installment. Like, OoT is already just a 3D remake of ALttP in a lot of ways.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
It will definitely not be on the Switch, maybe a next generation console. I think it definitely deserves the HD remake treatment, though not changing too much. Just bringing visuals/textures up to modern day (not too bright everywhere though like the 3DS remake). But this is definitely a game made for the big screen, I definitely hope it sometime gets an HD remake.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
They could honestly just port OoT3D and MM3D to Switch. Emulation shows that the graphics still hold up even at higher resolutions. All they'd have to do is account for the lack of second screen and remake the HUD/UI elements at a higher res.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'd prefer a Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition-style make-over rather than a full-fledged remake, though I'd appreciate some new additions like more side quests and maybe a new area or two.

Gameplay wise OoT holds up for the most part

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Modern reinvisioning not unlike how RE2 remake was essentially a different game but obviously still faithful to the framework of the original.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Remaking Zelda games with a big budget would be weird because many of them repeat the same premise. Link, Zelda, Ganon are reborn in Hyrule and it feels like a reimagining already. Like Twilight Princess kind of felt like JJ Abram's Ocarina of Time.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The Zelda franchise doesn't need the remake treatment just like the GTA franchise doesn't need it.

It will not happen for a very long time.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Anyone who thinks OoT will never receive a ground up HD remake is kidding themselves. It's one of Nintendo's most important games in their history.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather Nintendo focus their time and energy on making new Zelda games instead of remakes/remaster. OOT is still highly playable. A simple port of the original to Switch would be fine when they launch N64 online.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'd prefer a Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition-style make-over rather than a full-fledged remake, though I'd appreciate some new additions like more side quests and maybe a new area or two.

Gameplay wise OoT holds up for the most part
That's literally what OoT 3D already is, though. Just need to throw that into the HD-ifier. (assuming they have even higher res source textures of the stuff they remade).

I'd rather Nintendo focus their time and energy on making new Zelda games instead of remakes/remaster. OOT is still highly playable. A simple port of the original to Switch would be fine when they launch N64 online.
They've always done both with separate teams. Link's Awakening Switch was pretty much entirely made by Grezzo and had no real bearing on the development on any original Zelda games.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
There have been better Zelda games since Ocarina of Time. Not sure what the fascination with the game is, and I played it back at launch.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
There have been better Zelda games since Ocarina of Time. Not sure what the fascination with the game is, and I played it back at launch.
Well of course, Ocarina was a technical break through, but I think as well as being a very well designed game, the story was very memorable and resonated with people because it was a coming of age story of Link growing into a young man. When I played it I was about young Link's age and about to enter high school. So yeah it's an very well designed game, but it's very nostalgic because of the nature of its story.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
That's literally what OoT 3D already is, though. Just need to throw that into the HD-ifier. (assuming they have even higher res source textures of the stuff they remade).

Yeah OoT3D was on the right track, though if they had the chance I'd still like 'em to update the models and lighting even further rather than a simple upscale of assets.

Oct 25, 2017
Much rather have a reimagination, like Silent Hill Shattered Memories is a reimagining of SH1.

have Nintendo released a reimagined game before? Would be interested to play

Oct 28, 2017
Oh boy do I have thoughts on this.

The switch should be able to run this at 1080p60 locked if this was indeed running on Wii U Hardware but I know there are some questions about that.

Start the game during the Civil War of Hyrule and flesh out the story bits that were only implied during the of game.

Give me full on Orchestral Soundtrack which is for the most part already completed.

I'm going to need weather in Hyrule.

Voice Acting save for Link.

Show me "The Demise of Hyrule" during Links 7 year absence.

Plant the seeds for the other games in the Timeline.

Trying to keep my thoughts in check but oh boy this goes deep.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Pure visual remake in a next gen console imo. The gameplay aspects and level design still hold up to this day imo

May 15, 2019
I just want the N64 versions with higher resolution and framerate, not even the 3DS visuals. There's nothing wrong with old games looking old.

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
The best game ever imo at least. Would love to see a better remake (they ruined every scene with ganondorf in the 3ds version)

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who thinks OoT will never receive a ground up HD remake is kidding themselves. It's one of Nintendo's most important games in their history.

They literally remade it last gen for the 3ds. That's it, it's already done. Grezzo exists almost entirely as a company to remake Zelda games for Nintendo.

They're not going to do a RE style revision of the games.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'd vastly prefer a Majora's Mask remaster/remake, but I know I'm in the minority lol.

Deleted member 11276

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Give me OoT and MM with screen space reflections, SSAO, dynamic shadows, volumetric rendering, PBR lighting, high res, normal mapped textures, tesselation, new geometry, GPU accelerated particles, I want a full remake of those games on the Switch!

And if you are at it, TP too.
They literally remade it last gen for the 3ds. That's it, it's already done. Grezzo exists almost entirely as a company to remake Zelda games for Nintendo.

OoT and MM 3D don't count because they look horrible by todays standard and run on an old handheld.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All OoT really needs is an HD remaster with with improved models, textures, grass, 60fps, etc.

Just enhance the perfection that's already there.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
A new remake is a question of when, not if. Switch 2 I bet. I wouldn't worry about Nintendo ruining Ocarina of Time because their remakes tend to be graphical upgrades with mostly positive little QoL changes.

Deleted member 56266

Banned
Apr 25, 2019

Damn, there are really people out here thinking freaking Ocarina of Time will never get a HD remake, ever. Wow lol. Guess people will have to play the 3DS version in 30 years, right?

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
An up-port of the 3DS version with maybe a couple tweaks/revisions would really be all I need. If the effort was going to be put in to create entirely new assets, voice acting, bigger cities, new events etc I would rather just have a new game at that point .

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
We just got OOT and Majora remasters/remakes this gen. It's time for something else.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
What the hell is it with all these remake threads lately?

At least the sensible option is listed in the poll this time (Do not remaster/remake Ocarina of Time) and at least (at the time of posting) it's winning

I'd prefer a new classic style (not open world) Zelda to compliment the open world BOTW style games

I can play OoT already, and it's still a great game

Getting a AAA budget OoT remake would be good, but it would probably rob us of a new Zelda game, and so yeah, no remake is my choice

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I would rather they just left them be and brought them to current consoles as they originally were.