• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Good morning/afternoon/evening/night Resetera.
I bet most of you played Ocarina of Time to completion but only few of us proabably found this particular secret moment in the game let alone had the correct version of the game.

The secret is that before you make the first time-skip to become an adult, in that very sequence (Entering castle town after you saw Ganon chase Zelda and Impa out of the town) you can find a struggling guard in the alleyway. If you speak to him he warns you of a bad thing that happened at the castle, possibly tied to the incident with Ganondorf you just witnessed, and then the soldier faints, suggesting he might've died. This character was removed in certain versions of the game, and at least the 3DS versions.

Until now I always assumed it was for the same reason blood was removed from certain characters and maps - that it was censorship but a YouTube video I found today explores the peculiar moment from a new perspective.

(VIDEO): Why the Dying Guard in Ocarina of Time Hints at Something Bigger (Zelda)

Enjoy, and discuss.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The secret is that before you make the first time-skip to become an adult, in that very sequence (Entering castle town after you saw Ganon chase Zelda and Impa out of the town) you can find a struggling guard in the alleyway. If you speak to him he warns you of a bad thing that happened at the castle, possibly tied to the incident with Ganondorf you just witnessed, and then the soldier faints, suggesting he might've died. This character was removed in certain versions of the game, and at least the 3DS versions.
No it was not.

Nov 8, 2017
Can someone transcribe and summarize so I don't need to watch a 10 minute video for what will amount to a minute or two of reading? Thanks in advance.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Can someone transcribe and summarize so I don't need to watch a 10 minute video for what will amount to a minute or two of reading? Thanks in advance.

The guard tucked away in the town that you can encounter just after Zelda and Impa escape the castle talks about being attacked by Ganondorf's forces, when no one other NPC says anything about other forces, and Ganondorf is shown on his own.

The theory is that the guard is from a previous version of the script where the town was attacked by Ganondorf's forces, and was left in the final game by mistake.

It's not mind blowing or anything.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017

It's funny cos even the video in the OP says the guard is still in the 3D version.

While I've known about this for years, I've not really thought about it, but yeah it is rather odd they are the only casualty while the town casually goes about their business. Maybe he was holding on to Ganondorf's horse trying to stopped it but was eventually kicked off lol

TLDW: The dying guard's dialogue might hint towards a scrapped story point where Ganondorf attacks the castle with an army and they forgot to remove the guard because he wasn't in the main town square.

OP
OP
Asbsand

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Okay I was wrong about the exclusion of the character then - I must've checked the alley at the wrong time when I played on 3DS then.

Mind blowing or not I still think it's interesting to speculate about if the character really came from an earlier draft where the pre-timeskip moment was a different scenario.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
TLDW: The dying guard's dialogue might hint towards a scrapped story point where Ganondorf attacks the castle with an army and they forgot to remove the guard because he wasn't in the main town square.
I kind of always assumed there was some form of offscreen battle/sneak attack on the castle prior to Zelda fleeing anyway. Yeah, castle town was mostly oblivious to it, but like 1 goron notices the giant magical orange barrier around the castle in Twilight Princess, so I chalked it up to the Hylians just being that oblivious.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Nah, it's just a spy that helped Ganondorf escaping, and it's faking his death. I bet it's Twinrova masked.
BUT HEY... IT'S JUST A THEORY