• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
This is a genuine question for someone with a below par laptop and who would probably have a comparatively better time playing it on consoles. I played it on a great PC at PAX East and I LOVED it. Shot my interest from zero to one hundred in a flash.

Did anyone play the previous DOOM on console? How was your experience?

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
I didn't care much for Doom 2016 on console, well, on pad really. The movement feels weird with analog sticks and you can't quite get the same aim feeling with sticks either. It just feels a whole lot smoother on MKB.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Played Doom 2016 on PS4 and Xbox One (and PC!) and they were all great versions. If controller isn't an issue for you then go mad.

Eternal is 1440p/60fps on PS4 Pro.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
PS4 users should demand a gyro option from ID/Beth like Switch users did.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
I played the previous one on console and then PC. Obviously the PC version was way better but if that's not an option, the regular one was fine. Better then not playing it, that's for sure.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
If you've been traditionally playing FPS on consoles then getting DOOM eternal on PS4 Pro won't be much of an issue. Just don't expect locked 60 FPS IMO.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
iD has a fantastic track record with their console versions this generation. It'll be fantastic. Buy it, enjoy it.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played 2016 on my non-Pro PS4 and had a blast. I assume it would look bananas on a Pro (and a good gaming PC, of course) but I didn't feel like I was playing a subpar version (frame drops, sub-HD, etc).

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
I'll split the difference. It's fine on a pad. Good game is still good. But yeah, it's better on MKB.
Yeah it's totally playable, I had fun playing it again on X1X, but if your first experience with it is with MKB, it feels like a downgrade. My main gripe with pad controls for Doom 2016 is that you only have two movement states, super slow crawl, or extremely fast run, which works well for a digital input like W key, but just feels off when using a stick.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Doom '16 performed well on just about everything.

Comes down to control preference. I prefer PC as well, but I think their controller setup is just fine. The weapon wheel and associated slowdown help with rapid weapon switching quite a bit.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Played the first game on the Pro and it plays as well as a shooter could possibly play on a controller. It's enjoyable enough, honestly. Night and day versus a mouse, yes, but if you have no way to play it on PC then go for it.

If you have ANY interest at all in PC gaming but don't want to sacrifice your comfy couch experience, I recently bought a lap desk (it's a cushion with a flat bamboo board on top) and it works amazingly well for couch keyboard and mouse. So do consider a PC if this is the issue (I know it is for some people). Even as someone who enjoys shooters with a controller, the experience is still transformative.

Otherwise, yes, you will probably enjoy the game on a console so long as playing shooters with a controller isn't a problem for you.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
If Doom 2016 is anything to go by, it will play like a dream on consoles. The action in a game like that is so fast paced that you might not even notice a lot of technical differences outside of side by side comparisons TBH.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Doom '16 was silky smooth on a base PS4. I would assume/hope Eternal follows suit.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Played Doom 2016 on PS4 and Xbox One (and PC!) and they were all great versions. If controller isn't an issue for you then go mad.

Eternal is 1440p/60fps on PS4 Pro.
Considering the recommended PC requirements I would be super surprised if they hit 1440p/60fps without monumental dips in that FR.

1080 - 2060 are pretty big compared to a pro but I suppose medium settings relieves that a bit, i'd still be impressed

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
Played on PC and PS4.

If you are very good with K+M you are going to miss alot of mobility and the flexibility of weapons direct binds.
Otherwise the gap is not that depressing.

Just be sure to select Strafe or Tactical as gamepad button layout.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it will look and perform fine. It's playing with a controller I'd think about. Going from a controller to a mouse was a night and day experience for DOOM 2016.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Impressions seem to be that it operates fine on a base ps4, so a pro should be fine too

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, if you're used to playing shooters with a controller, then DOOM will be just fine for you on PS4.
Even better if you're actually great at playing shooters with a controller.
And if you've got an Elite controller, or a DS4 with the back button attachment, you're golden.

It's not the same experience you'll get if you play with a mouse and keyboard, but that might not be an issue for you.

It's a real shame that we can't just expect a game like this to support gyro aim assist, considering the degree to which it helps bridge the gap between aiming with a mouse and aiming with a thumbstick.

It's as big a shame that both consoles support KB/M and it's still not even close to being commonly supported for games like this. I'd recommend KB/M for DOOM Eternal in a heartbeat if I could only be certain that the game supported KB/M input on console.

Oct 28, 2017
This is a genuine question for someone with a below par laptop and who would probably have a comparatively better time playing it on consoles. I played it on a great PC at PAX East and I LOVED it. Shot my interest from zero to one hundred in a flash.

Did anyone play the previous DOOM on console? How was your experience?

I played Doom 2016 on a PC on Ultra Violence with an Xbox one controller and did absolutely fine. As long as the PS4 version has no performance issues, you should be good.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
If playing an FPS with a controller doesn't bother you, you'll most likely be fine.

Matzpxl

Jun 4, 2019
Brasília, Brazil
Played Doom 2016 in my OG PS4 and it was fine most of the time, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I was missing some part of the experience for playing on console. But, if that's your only option, I still think it'll be a great port and you'll have a great time.

Last edited:

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
played on Xbox One, Xbox One X and Switch, and beside the technical level of Switch, all the experiences were quite great, enough to be one of my favorite games of this gen

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I really really enjoyed DOOM 16 on my PS4 Slim.

As long as Eternal is confirmed to run at 60fps for the non Pro/X consoles again, I'll probably get it.

Ideally I'd get it on PC but my rig is about to explode so would be an unwise investment.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I'm probably going to get in PS4 Pro I cant be bothered to fuss around with settings and tweaking to get it to run right on my PC(also I would just use a controller with it on PC anyway).

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doom 2016 controlled somewhat poorly compared to other console FPS games for whatever reason. Still playable, but not as smooth as anything from CoD, TF, Halo, etc.

Performance wise it was actually really good, but the loading times were super rough.

(Xbox One S)

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played first on pc. Then i got the platinum Trophy on ps4.

It's absolutely a blast to play on consoles.

I even played through the game on my switch. Even this version was awesome to play.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
I played doom 2016 on pc and it was immense especially on the harder difficulty. I recently tried to play it on ps pro and the game just doesn't feel like it plays well with a controller unfortunately . It looked fantastic and ran well, just the fast paced movement while aiming doesn't suit controller as much.