• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Forza AI on higher difficulties. They'll take insane turns with incredibly tight lines, in rain or snow, at absurd speeds.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
On FIFA 2002 at World Class difficulty, the CPU can score with ease from within their own half - typically straight from kick-off.

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
GloomyUnfinishedGalapagossealion-size_restricted.gif

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
Fighting games the thread indeed like someone said on the first page lol. I also would vouch for Mario Kart, especially the SNES version which I have been playing recently, with rivals that kick items at your constantly, and somehow pass everyone after I finish the race to be in second place. Also, NBA fucking cheating asshole AI Jam, holy shit I did not remember all the bullshit the AI pulls in that game. My youngest son and I have been playing the SNES version of NBA Jam for a bit, and wow, that game blatantly cheats like hell all the time.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember when matchmaking AI was introduced in Gears of War 2. My buddy was squaring off against the other team which only had one player left, a CPU locust. The CPU picks up the sniper rifle and then instantly rotates 180 degrees towards the side of the map my friend is on and gets a no scope headshot.

it was like we were watching the game wallhack itself.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Mortal Kombat AI is cheating like there's no tomorrow.

In Killer Instinct, the final bosses have the ability to regain health. When the player is in control of them, the same move doesn't restore any health.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
When in a game you stealth your way into a bush or hiding spot and the damn NPC wants to see you so bad that they stand and stair at your location for 10 fucking minutes.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem Fates Conquest, that chapter where you have to try to visit as many villages at possible before the bandits hit them. The bandits prioritize hitting villages, so I moved a unit one space off of one thinking the bandit would destroy the village instead of attack me... Only to learn he could do BOTH in one turn.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching an LP of Goldeneye N64 on the harder difficulties and it's a shame how much BS is in that game that I couldn't remember.

Infinite respawning enemies on some levels, clearing out an entire room then turning 360 degrees and some have spawned behind you in a closed-off room, getting shot halfway across the map when you can't see an enemy...at least it didn't really have grenade spam I guess

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
Fucking Total War games on higher difficulties.
You can reduce AI factions to a single city and they'll still have enough income to maintain several full armies.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Without a doubt Puzzle Fucking Quest.
There is no way the CPU is just constantly "getting lucky" it's demoralizing and soul crushing and yet, I can't stop playing it lol

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Puzzle Quest's AI.

In 2012 I brought the expansion to PC in the form of an unofficial mod, and through a lot of playtesting and bugfixing, I can say it's demonstrably provable that the AI cheats. Here's just one example:

If you set the difficulty to Hard, the opponent AI will always make a 4-of-a-kind (or better) move [which in PQ gives you another free move, fyi], if such a move is available on the board. However, on rare occasions, there will be a set of gems in that formation on the board, and the AI will ignore them to instead make what appears to be a regular 3-of-a-kind match [which does not give you an extra turn]. This match will, however, actually turn out to be a 4-of-a-kind match, because the AI knows exactly what color gems are going to fall down next, and acts accordingly, giving it an advantage no human player could ever rival without similar cheating tools.

This is actually why I recommend most PQ1 players play on Easy, because on Easy the AI acts the most like an actual human opponent; it will occasionally miss extra-turn combos at about the same rate as an average player, and the game actually seems fair because of it. (Normal difficulty AI is still a little too perfect; its optimal-move rate is not too far from Hard's flawless rate).

Im sorry to bomb the thread, but how do you get this to launch? I bought this on steam as its once of my favorite match 4 games of all TIME and Im fucking bummed that it wont even launch on my new PC. And theres countless threads about it too. I would love to replay puzzle quest but just flat out cannot get it to start.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Just remembered the Goron Races in Majora's Mask is an infamous example of this. You pretty much have to attack the other racers with your spike roll if you want to win, because otherwise they're just going to rocket in front of you constantly and the chances of you winning are incredibly slim.

Im sorry to bomb the thread, but how do you get this to launch? I bought this on steam as its once of my favorite match 4 games of all TIME and Im fucking bummed that it wont even launch on my new PC. And theres countless threads about it too. I would love to replay puzzle quest but just flat out cannot get it to start.
One of the most common issues with PQ not launching is OpenAL messing up for whatever reason. If you go to Steam\steamapps\common\Puzzle Quest , run oalinst.exe and hit OK to (re)install it, that might just solve things.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Mot from SMT: Nocturne yet. Mot abuses the Beast Eye skill, which grants it two half Press Turn icons in exchange for the leftmost icon on the stack (whether it's a full or half icon), with considerable frequency. From time to time, it'll give itself enough actions to buff itself considerably with Makakaja, then wipe your party with Megidolaon, and you can't do anything about it.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Those racing games with rubberbanding AI. I still remember racing at Wario Stadium in Mario Kart 64, taking all the possible shortcuts and still all the other AI opponents will soon get closed to me.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
In Warcraft 3 if you just watch the replays you can see that the AI gets double resources on insane difficulty. Maybe not as bad as most of these examples, but it's really obvious and the ai doesn't do a lot of other more real world techniques to get better.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
These are the tamer examples.

That first one's an intended feature. The pathing is intentionally set that way. I think the intended design was so you wouldn't camp or be able to take out everyone scattered, but in that area, it gets pretty bad very easily.

The second one is a behavior/animation bug. The thug's changed a state, and they programmed it in such a way that they don't flinch, and then you get stupid shit like that. It's not the AI cheating, it's just a bug.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Thinking of 2 games in particular, Ironman Stewart's Super off Road for the NES - on some levels the AI gets an infinite amount of nitro's and their speed is increased. Just like that. If you dont finish in the top 3 you lose.. I dont think you could win those races, you just had to stay alive before difficulty whent back to normal on the next level.

The other is RC Pro Am Racing for the NES also, on some levels one or two of the oppononents got their speed increased multiple times over so you could win those, and again - you just had to stay alive for the next round :P

In Warcraft 3 if you just watch the replays you can see that the AI gets double resources on insane difficulty. Maybe not as bad as most of these examples, but it's really obvious and the ai doesn't do a lot of other more real world techniques to get better.

That's really the only thing Insane difficulty does =) It's supposed to be that way so it's not really cheating in that sense.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Pretty much any Worms game where the AI bounces a timed grenade off 5 different surfaces from across the map where it explodes at the exact spot needed to kill one of your units.
Oh god, I still remember those perfectly curved bazooka shots against the wind knocking more than one of my worms in the drink. The CPU only liked bazookas and grenades, but damn were they good at using them.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I can name a lot of fighting games doing this shit; SNK bosses, MK bosses just reading your buttons, SF characters doing stuff that's impossible with most conventional controllers, etc.

But I gotta throw my hat in for Sonic Shuffle. So at a basic level, it's a Mario Party rip off where instead of hitting a ? Block to determine the amount of spaces you move on the map, everyone gets 7 cards, the number on the card determines the amount of spaces you can move, and you also get an S card that I think lets you draw twice or moves you the max spaces, something like that.

Your cards are supposed to be hidden to all other players (used the VMU for real multiplayer), but you can take the card of another player. The problem in doing that is that you're essentially making a blind pick.

However, the CPU does not follow this rule set; they know exactly what cards you have at all time despite the game's assertion to the contrary (it's lying). However, you still can't see their cards. So you'll get into situations where the computer needs to move an exact number of spaces to get something awesome, but they don't have the right number card to do it.

But oh wait, you do have the exact card they need! And they will rob you blind each and every time. Playing a full board against the CPU was a maddening experience because all 3 other CPU players had the tendency to just rob you blind and there was shit you could do to stop it. If you have a card that has a detrimental effect like an Eggman card, the CPU will avoid that shit like the plague despite how it's supposed to be blind to them.

They also are insanely good at the actual minigames.

Sonic Shuffle was just a miserable experience

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate in shooters or sports games, when the AI enemy knows where you are or where you're going even though you were moving around outside their line of vision.

I appreciate what REmake2 did with Mr. X, the AI is really looking for you and isn't omniscient.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of Mario Kart mentions, of course. The epitome of racing game rubberbanding. And also the prime example of a designated CPU winner, where the game will take extreme measures to ensure a specified CPU racer will either win, or if you win, come in 2nd place.

I actually like to have fun with that. All the way back to the original Super Mario Kart, I would win the 1st race, and then in the 2nd race, get a red shell, get in 1st, then let the CPU pass me on the last lap and pop him, in an attempt to make him finish lower. It is astounding how late in that last lap you can knock out that designated CPU kart and still have him finish 2nd. Like, nearly at any spot other than right in front of the finish line, and he'll still take at least 3rd.

But if you can knock him down to 4th or lower, the game will designate a new CPU winner, and give you a little breathing room, so you don't have to finish 1st in every (other) race to win.

This is particularly effective in F-Zero GX, and the game kindly tags that cheating CPU racer as "Rival". If you kill him, it'll tag someone else. I've sometimes managed to take out several Rivals in one race, which spreads the points around nicely and keeps me way out in front of the pack.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Here's one that's not active cheating, but still overt and complete bullshit: In Wave Race: Blue Storm on the Gamecube, there's a points system in place, with a certain number of points required to advance. But it only applies to you, not to the other 7 racers. After just one race, the last place racer should be disqualified, but they aren't. Every race has 8 racers in it.

But that's not the real BS. Here's the kicker: you can get disqualified and Game Over by not having enough points while you are the points leader.

This happened to me more than once, back then, when I was trying to beat the game on the highest difficulty. To be in 1st place overall, on the strength of mostly 2nd place finishes, and get disqualified is infuriating.

Last edited:

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
Battle tower in Pokemon Sun/Moon, when you have a good streak they somehow make you battle someone with a team that completely counters you...or makes them hit THREE TIMES IN A ROW WITH FISSURE.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
The cop cars in Driver and Grand Theft Auto get faster when chasing you in high wanted level. It is obvious to notice their car's speed and acceleration increased than normal. Even it is intended that way for difficulty purpose, I still say it's cheating.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I play a hell of alot of company of heroes on PC. The AI doesn't have a wait time troop production.ive often seen 2 tanks or 2 sets of troops created at the the exact same time while I have to to wait 3 or 4 minutes to create each item

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In Persona 5 when you're hiding, patrolling enemies will cut their path short and turn around once they reach your position, instead of walking past your position as they normally would if you weren't there and allowing you to sneak past them.

Nov 1, 2017
Anyone mention Wizpig from Diddy Kong racing cause fuck that cheating asshole
I kept losing to him until I learned how to get a super boost from zipper pads (let go of acceleration as you hit one; your engine will exhume rainbow smoke and you will rocket ahead). It's pretty a much mandatory technique for finishing first towards the endgame.