• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
I used to think the guitar brand "Epiphone" was pronounced "epi-phone" (spoiler, it is)
But then I thought "Hang on, that's probably how you spell epiphany! So from then on I thought epiphany was spelled epiphone, and Epiphone was pronounced epiphany.
Then I realised that they're separate words.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
EVQ1oLXWoAco8QI.jpg
Pokémon Diamond Pearl has the smartest use of Pixel art. Each game has a statue of its box legendary but the sprite is exactly the same, only coloured different.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The loops on the back of your running shoes are meant to be pulled back so you can more easily slip your feet into the shoe. I literally had no idea why they were there until a few days ago when I decided to muck around with them.

I'm 30 years old...

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
This is not really an obvious thing but my mind was blown recently when I realized that Howie Mandel is the voice of Gizmo in Gremlins.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was legitimately in my twenties when I learned you snap your fingers with your thumb and middle finger. I'd always try to do with my thumb and trigger finger and just assumed I couldn't do it for some reason.

Felt really dumb after that.

That explains why I can't snap my fingers for shit...

Still don't know how to do it

Kemiko

Oct 5, 2018
Recently....

Rather embarrassingly it was Wandavision.

Wanda. Vision.

It was episode 5 that it clicked when I read someone else's post on it.

I felt so stupid.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
The reason it's called a trunk is because old-timey cars had a literal trunk on the back. I didn't find that out until the Roosevelt was added to GTA Online.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
The word "epitome" is the same thing as "a-pit-oh-me". I thought they were two separate words that had similar meanings, and "epitome" was pronounced "eh-pih-tomb". I didn't know how to spell the second word. When I first saw epitome in writing I had this thought of them being two different words. I thought this until like my early 20s.

I thought "seg-way" was a made up TV word and I would sometimes see "segue" in print but not know how to pronounce it.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Simpson's joke:

"Playing all the classics from ABBA to Zeppelin .... comma Led"

For the longest time I just couldn't understand what "comma led" was supposed to mean, despite it being quite obvious in hindsight.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
I was legitimately in my twenties when I learned you snap your fingers with your thumb and middle finger. I'd always try to do with my thumb and trigger finger and just assumed I couldn't do it for some reason.

Felt really dumb after that.
while i can sanp my fingers using my thumb and middle finger i find it easies to use the next one over (the ring finger ?) and it is much louder as well.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
When my wife and I were first dating, an Angels & Airwaves song came on the radio. They had been around for a couple years at that time.

She asked me if I liked the song. I replied that I didn't care for A & A songs because the lead singer sounded like he was trying too hard to sound "like the guy from Blink 182".

I'll never forget my wife's face as it was a perfect mixture of "Are you trolling me right now?" and "Oh boy, I get to make the big reveal to this fucking dummy!" lol

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused, what did you think it meant at first? Cause it's right in the name
I didn't think it meant anything it was just a weird term just like how you can get a turkey in bowling, at the time I thought it was pronounced more like 'holinone' rather than a statement of a hole in one.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Simpson's joke:

"Playing all the classics from ABBA to Zeppelin .... comma Led"

For the longest time I just couldn't understand what "comma led" was supposed to mean, despite it being quite obvious in hindsight.
hahah took me way too long, that's a good one.

another simpsons one that took me a long time till after watching to get (but is obvious in hindsight) is in crepes of wrath when bart says "ah, the life of a frog, that's the life for me"

409137.jpg

he's foreshadowing the entire episode 🤦🏻‍♂️

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
awhile back I was in the shower and I had a sudden revelation about Alf's affinity for eating cats and the possibility that it was a recurring joke about oral sex. Those crafty Hollywood writers.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
I think it was a year or two ago that I saw a tweet where someone admitted to just learning that The Beatles was a pun and I was like what pun? Then it finally hit me, oh yeah the bug is spelled beetle. Ugh. I am 38 and listens to the Beatles a bullion times and that tweet was the first time I realized the name was a pun.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone mentioning the Beatles one reminds me that I had a music teacher that once said the Beatles are one S away from being the Beat less. I always thought that was funny. lol

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it was a year or two ago that I saw a tweet where someone admitted to just learning that The Beatles was a pun and I was like what pun? Then it finally hit me, oh yeah the bug is spelled beetle. Ugh. I am 38 and listens to the Beatles a bullion times and that tweet was the first time I realized the name was a pun.
I've literally always just thought it was The Beetles but deliberately spelled weird to make it memorable.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Currants are not grapes, they're a different berry.

but to everyone in the thread: french is legit hard when all the phonemes are different but the letters are basically the same. Don't feel bad.

Raisins and sultanas are made from grapes. The drying process is slightly different, which is what makes them different. I saw a TV show on the BBC recently that showed how this works - how a farmer got both from exactly the same crop of grapes but just treated each differently before harvesting.

As you say, currants are different,

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Having a good night's sleep and a consistent sleeping pattern makes every single aspect of waking life so much better.

Realised this at ... *checks watch* ... 30 years old.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Raisins and sultanas are made from grapes. The drying process is slightly different, which is what makes them different. I saw a TV show on the BBC recently that showed how this works - how a farmer got both from exactly the same crop of grapes but just treated each differently before harvesting.
I only know sultanas exist from absorbing British media. I'm not certain they're a thing in the USA.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Jurassic Park, when on the helicopter, Alan Grant has two female ends of a seat belt. He finds a way to tie them and make them work despite them both being female. A reference to all the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park being female but still being able to breed. Life finds a way.

4cHudIr.png

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
For the Germans on here:

I was 28 years old when I learned "Gemengelage" is actually a German word and not a French one after internally reading it as "Schemohschelaasch" my whole life

(also +1 for Disnep)

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
It wasn't until I saw the new trailer that I saw the wordplay on Cruella De Vil.. I always thought it was spelled DeVille and never made the connection.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I didn't think it meant anything it was just a weird term just like how you can get a turkey in bowling, at the time I thought it was pronounced more like 'holinone' rather than a statement of a hole in one.
It's called a Turkey in bowling because in the 1700 and 1800 bowling tournaments would give you a turkey if you bowled three strikes in a row.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I used to think that donut holes (munchkins) went to waste before deciding to sell them. I thought they made one round cake and then cut a hole in the middle, then threw it out