• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wigdogger

Oct 27, 2017
FedEx-Logo.png

The damn FedEx logo. Someone posted it years ago, but it still blows my mind that I never saw it.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is the revelation here?
I was telling my coworker today that I just realized that Elizabeth Olsen (Scarlett Witch) is the sister of Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen. I thought they just happened to share the last names thinking about, she does look like her sisters. In my defense, I only really recall how the Olsen twins look as kids. They kinda disappeared from the general public after their teen years.

Also, the "Every Kiss begins with Kay" slogan for Kay Jewelers. The word kiss begins with the letter K. Buying someone Kay Jewelry will get you kisses. Yeah...took me many years.
Big simp energy in that slogan

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
ShanghaiNoon_Poster.jpg

ShangHAI.
HIGH noon.
Shanghai Noon.

I was driving home from work a couple years ago when suddenly it clicked for me. Before that, I hadn't even dwelled on what the title meant. I assumed the 'Shanghai' part was referring to Jackie Chan, but the 'Noon' part barely even registered.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
I watched Home Improvement live week-to-week when I was a kid. Never thought different of the way any character talked.

Over ten years later I happened to see a clip of an episode and my brain exploded with the realization that Tim's wife had a deeply southern accent.

I looked up other clips just to make sure it wasn't some weird dub, because I never remembered her having that accent.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
While we're at it, you know how Humpty Dumpty is always portrayed as an egg?

The rhyme never says that.
There have been multiple depictions of Humpty as an egg over time but it was probably solidified as an egg through Lewis Carroll's Through the looking glass where Alice says he looks just like an egg.

Grenouille

Nov 26, 2017
The biggest one to me was that I didn't pronounce or know how to pronounce the "th" sound until someone pointed it out to me in the eighth grade. Before then I'd pronounce "the" like "da" or "Earth" like "Earf" or something like that. What's interesting is that it took no time to fix. After the embarrassment I went home, watched a Youtube video on how to enunciate "th", and that was that. If it didn't happen to me personally I'd be shocked you could correct what is essentially a long-term speech disorder in so little time.
Some (all?) romance Latin languages don't have the "th" sound, so a lot of people who have English as their second language speak the way you described. it takes some effort to nail that proper sound.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, all we need now are someone who snaps with their pinky and someone who snaps with their thumb and we'll have the whole hand covered.

Strangely enough, I can snap with my pinky finger alone (too hard to explain how). But the fact that the sound it makes comes from my pinky finger hitting the palm of my hand makes me feel dumb for not realizing it works the same way when using my thumb and middle finger. D'oh!

One of my own late realizations was guitarist Pat Smear from the Foo Fighters. When I randomly realized it one day and told my friends, they looked at me like I was a dumbass (rightfully so).

Salamande

Oct 25, 2017
Aight so this was in junior high but I had this friend with the last name kusakoon. Well I would call him koon as a little nickname. We didn't think about it and obviously didn't know it was a slur... So I'm playing basketball with him at the gym and he lands a 3. I blurt out "The coooon let's go"! Some nice gentleman comes up to me and my friend and explains to us what that actually means. I have never been more embarrassed in my life and still live in shame about that day 10 years ago 😂 live and let learn
This is the funniest fucking thing I've heard in a while. I can picture the moment in my head, and it just makes me lose it. I would die.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
Was at a funeral and my 1yr son was clinging shyly behind my leg. One of the curators(old man) said "he looks loved".
I thought it was the sweetest thing.

Few years later I took my dog to the vet for shots and one of the staff said "aw, you got a lot of love on you". I realized they were implying we overfeed the dog.
😞

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
Harley Quinn is a pun on harlequin. I figured this out just a few years ago.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
I didn't understand the sexist joke, "If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"

It took me way too long to realize the connotation.

?

That's not a joke, it's a pickup line. It's lame and cringey, in the way that pickup lines always are, but what's sexist about it? It works with any configuration of people.

"this little piggy went to market" did not mean the pig went shopping

But then who bought the roast beef?!?!1

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
  • The Men in Black song samples the song Forget Me Nots because of the Neuralizer
I didn't know what to answer until I read this.
That the Eminem song "Sing For The Moment" samples "Dream On" by Aerosmith. I always loved that Eminem song and particularly that moment but I only found out early last year when the original came up on a stream I watched on Twitch.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That when this girl sitting next me on the way back from a field trip in high school commented that I had big feet, then showed me her belly button and asked if I knew what they said about girls with deep belly buttons, my response shouldn't have been to explain the differences between innie and outie belly buttons and why they exist and reasons as to why it may be deep but instead realize she was interested in sex.

For the record that was the only time I've ever heard that question or phrase.

Mar 10, 2018
I literally just now realized that Thanos sacrificing Gamora to obtain the soul stone can be seen as an allusion to Agamemnon sacrificing Iphigenia in order to continue sailing on to Troy...

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's called a hole-in-one because you get the golf ball in the hole with one swing of the club.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I had heard all my life that Mardi Gras was also called Fat Tuesday. I was in my late 20s when I suddenly put 2 and 2 together on what the fancy French name for the day means.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
That when this girl sitting next me on the way back from a field trip in high school commented that I had big feet, then showed me her belly button and asked if I knew what they said about girls with deep belly buttons, my response shouldn't have been to explain the differences between innie and outie belly buttons and why they exist and reasons as to why it may be deep but instead realize she was interested in sex.

For the record that was the only time I've ever heard that question or phrase.

Uhh... other parts of her body are cavernous?

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"this little piggy went to market" did not mean the pig went shopping

There are a number of illustrated versions of this, many dating back hundreds of years, that would disagree. The pigs are always anthropomorphised.

EDIT: Of course it could also be a tongue in cheek joke for the adults in the room.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Lots of etymological stuff, for instance it only just dawned on me recently that when you are neutering an animal you are making them Neutral even though looking now they obviously are from the same origin.

That's all I can really think of right now but there are a lot of words like that. Actually, another less obvious is Terrific and Terrifying are of the same origin despite sort of opposite meanings.

Every once in a while I'll say something and have a huge realization and have to look it up.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What are some obvious things that you were incredibly late to put together. I know some people took a while to figure out what Yen Sid and Alucard spell backwards. What are some that you got hit with?

Some from me

• The Men in Black song samples the song Forget Me Nots because of the Neuralizer
  • Stan came from the Eminem song

But do you know Stan = Stalker + Fan?

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Obligatory "there's a bear in the Toblerone logo" post.

nintchdbpict000280201fmjav.jpg
And a Famous Belgian statue in the camel of a pack of Camels:
A69fJYTCEAA8w0M.jpg

On a related note, the sound from snapping your fingers is caused by your middle finger hitting the palm of your hand, not the tips of your fingers rubbing together. I didn't learn this until college.

maxresdefault.jpg
That's a funny coincidence: I explained this to my son this morning. He was all proud he could snap while having a bandaid on one of his thumb.
So i told him the sound came from your middle finger hitting your hand. He was flabbergasted.

Last edited:

Limless

Jan 7, 2021
Will-I-Am is William with some dashes in-between. I'm not a fan of his music but I'm still shocked it took me so long to notice.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I thought the placenta was the same thing as the umbilical cord until I watched an episode of Servant in December and they showed a placenta.

I'm 32 lmao

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The Game of Thrones intro features the locations of said episode. Figured it out later of the first season.