• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The word "epitome" is the same thing as "a-pit-oh-me". I thought they were two separate words that had similar meanings, and "epitome" was pronounced "eh-pih-tomb". I didn't know how to spell the second word. When I first saw epitome in writing I had this thought of them being two different words. I thought this until like my early 20s.
oh damn i wasn't the only one saying tomb!

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Oh if we're gonna include misheard/misunderstood wordings, I'll confess I totally was an "all intensive purposes" guy until I played RE4, because that was the first time I noticed it written out.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Pickles are cucumbers. Figured it out by blerting it out in a high school AP class, I'm sure they wondered how I got into the class after that
OT: but I always found it odd that when we say "pickles" we mean pickled cucumber even though we pickle many things.

Also, people not noticing beatles must have not watched that thing you do when you were younger!

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
The show WandaVision is called that because both Wanda and Vision are in it. I haven't seen the show yet, and even though I knew they both were in it, I thought it was primarily because it was like TV show themed and what not. Lmao

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
What the term "Spanking The Monkey" meant.

I seriously thought in my school years that my peers wanted to kidnap chimps to hit them in the ass.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
The show WandaVision is called that because both Wanda and Vision are in it. I haven't seen the show yet, and even though I knew they both were in it, I thought it was primarily because it was like TV show themed and what not. Lmao
Lol, not knowing much about MCU I thought it was about a new retro-themed superhero named "wandavision."

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, not knowing much about MCU I thought it was about a new retro-themed superhero named "wandavision."
Well, it is that too. It's a double meaning.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Not my story but a co-worker of mine (in his 30's at the time) had no idea what a Narwhal was. When I described it as a unicorn whale he didn't believe me. Then I showed him videos and was floored.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
In the game FF VIII, the military schools are presented as these elegant facilities called Gardens, the cadets are called seeD. As a teenager I never realised the word play of seeds, which is dumb as fuck

Another bad example, The Truman Show, The True Man show.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
800682.jpg

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I also think it's an homage to WonkaVision.
It's called WandaVision because:

Wanda and Vision are in it

It's structured as a television show

[descriptor]-vision was a common thing back when tv and movies were a more rapidly evolving and everyone had a gimmick (like smell-o-vision), the gimmick here being we're seeing this through Wanda's twisted view of reality

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
the phrase 'having a mare' is in reference to a nightmare and not a female horse, as I once assumed.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
It's called WandaVision because:

Wanda and Vision are in it

It's structured as a television show

[descriptor]-vision was a common thing back when tv and movies were a more rapidly evolving and everyone had a gimmick (like smell-o-vision)
Right, I still think it's paying homage to Wonkavision though, as that is the first thing me and a ton of people thought of when we first saw it.

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
The word "epitome" is the same thing as "a-pit-oh-me". I thought they were two separate words that had similar meanings, and "epitome" was pronounced "eh-pih-tomb". I didn't know how to spell the second word. When I first saw epitome in writing I had this thought of them being two different words. I thought this until like my early 20s.

This one. But also one which is much harder to unshaken is misled. I always read that as mice-eld instead of miss-led.

CJSeven

Oct 30, 2018
Not my story but a co-worker of mine (in his 30's at the time) had no idea what a Narwhal was. When I described it as a unicorn whale he didn't believe me. Then I showed him videos and was floored.

Very similar to this, I knew someone in college who had heard of a narwhal and knew what they were supposed to look like, but assumed it was a fantasy creature like a unicorn or griffin, based on only having seen the one in Elf.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I had a very similar experience with the word segue.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That too.

It's also because, basically, the premise is about "Wanda's vision (of a perfect life)"

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017
db06dee52b7fd4f343fc52fae04424cf.jpg

There was this old matress store chain called Sleepy's. In the commercials, they had a jingle where they sang, "Trust Sleepy's for the rest of your life."

I don't know why but I always thought they meant, trust Sleepy's forever - and well - they do but they also mean the "rest" of your life. Like resting. Sleep. I didn't figure this out for years of hearing those commercials.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017

I legit never knew that this was a cover of Somewhere Over the Rainbow until about two months ago. I always heard it in commercials and grocery stores and shit, and I guess I never paid attention to the lyrics.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was legitimately in my twenties when I learned you snap your fingers with your thumb and middle finger. I'd always try to do with my thumb and trigger finger and just assumed I couldn't do it for some reason.

Felt really dumb after that.
This is the most American thing ever.

That's a relief. I thought I'd be the only one posting about the Beatles. It took me an embarrassingly long time to notice the pun.
That Thing You Do! covers this in the first few minutes when they're naming the band!
OT: but I always found it odd that when we say "pickles" we mean pickled cucumber even though we pickle many things.

Also, people not noticing beatles must have not watched that thing you do when you were younger!
Yep!

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

I thought this until like 3 years ago lmao

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
The subway robot lady voice tells you which side the doors will open based on the direction you are going
Its embarrasing how years old I was when I figured that out

Dozer

May 30, 2019
Orlando, FL

This was me but with Colonel and that "kernel" rank I kept hearing people talk about

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
A sweater in French can be called a pull or a pullover. I only recently realized it isn't a random French word, but an English one meaning a piece of clothing you pull over yourself. I mean, it's obvious when reading it in English, but when it's pronounced in a French sentence with French pronunciation, you don't necessarily catch it.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I'm terrible at noticing puns, I read several Harry Potter Books before getting Diagon Alley.

Czechoslovakia broke into two countries, Czech Republic and Slovakia. At some point in school it dawned on me the word Slovakia was the second part of the original name. Never felt such a dumbass, it's right there! Not even hidden like a pun.

Oct 28, 2017
The part in The Neverending Story where Moonchild is explaining there was people sharing adventures with Bastion when he stole the book.

I was almost 40 when I realized she was talking about ME!

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't until I was a parent that I realized that the ABC Song and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star are the same melody.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel pretty good because I know most of this stuff.

Then again, it took me a minute to realize Saul Goodman = It's all good, man.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
So apparently blue raspberry isn't actually a flavour based on a real fruit but a Frankenstein of flavours coloured blue.

Also I also misheard every single word you all are mentioning.

Growing up I had real hard time with the Disney logo.
logo3-2.jpg

I must have been 10 or 11 before I stopped seeing Disnep.

You are the first Disnep I've come across, everyone I know thought it was Gisney.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I actually had this exact same thing, though luckily I learned about it slightly earlier in life :P

Same for the word lingerie - thought the correct pronunciation and "lin-gur-ee" were two different words