• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Pickles are cucumbers. Figured it out by blerting it out in a high school AP class, I'm sure they wondered how I got into the class after that

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
Hyperbole isn't pronounced hyper bowl, even though it should be. I think I learned that in my 30s because I've only ever heard people on the internet use the word. I just read it as Hyper Bowl each time.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Why did the chicken cross the road?

To get to the other side.

As in die and go to the afterlife.

(I prefer deadpan, anti-humour interpenetration)

This is a backsplanation. AFAIK there's no evidence that was the intended meaning of the punchline. It was always ever just supposed to be an unfunny nonsensical joke.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
That LC is written on the Little Ceasar toga and always has been

iu

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
My half Black cousin has a different dad than her white younger brother. lmao it must have been when i was like 10 or 11 years old when I sat down one day and thought this through.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When she said "or we can go to my house and study there..." she had no intention of studying at all.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
The word "epitome" is the same thing as "a-pit-oh-me". I thought they were two separate words that had similar meanings, and "epitome" was pronounced "eh-pih-tomb". I didn't know how to spell the second word. When I first saw epitome in writing I had this thought of them being two different words. I thought this until like my early 20s.

Hahaha I did the same shit until like senior year of high school. Pretty embarrassing when giving a speech and saying eh-pih-tomb out loud

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lyrics in so many songs. Where I knew what I was singing along was utter nonsense but couldn't be bothered to find/didn't have access to the actual lyrics.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
In Yakuza 4, when you go on a date with an hostess, you end up at the batting center after the date.
I was wondering why the hell you always finish your dates at the batting center.

Waaaaaaaaaaaay later, I realized that the love motels are across the street of the batting center.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
That it's way easier and downright pleasant to keep up with your snow shoveling (old man mode) than to wait til the snowfall is "done" and break your back on it (teenager mode)

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
In Link To The Past you're supposed to use the bow to kill the Armos Knights as they die in 3 hits from arrows. For almost 25 years I always killed them with a sword and never even considered using the bow (aka the dungeon item) to defeat them. This is even more sad when the rooms before them have similar looking armored knights that can only be killed by the bow.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
The word "epitome" is the same thing as "a-pit-oh-me". I thought they were two separate words that had similar meanings, and "epitome" was pronounced "eh-pih-tomb". I didn't know how to spell the second word. When I first saw epitome in writing I had this thought of them being two different words. I thought this until like my early 20s.
Calvin and Hobbes taught me how to say it.
72dd1ca331361b357cda82a05a459561.jpg

Oct 3, 2019
I realized only in the last year or two what quarter refers to in the phrase "give no quarter". I always understood the context but had just never given thought to what quarter meant.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There was this old gag on Married with Children where Peggy has Bud pick up some stuff from the store. He pulls out all these romantic things...and then batteries, cue laugh track.

When I was a kid, I thought the joke was that batteries are a boring, unromantic item.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
In the same way, growing up I thought rendezvous and "ron-DAY-voo" were two separate words that meant the same thing, because I'd never seen the word in school and it showed up in books I was reading, so I'd never heard rendezvous pronounced or "ron-DAY-voo" spelled out.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Some old video game ones:
"Phoenix down" refers to the down feather of a phoenix
Miles "Tails" Prower = Miles Prower = Miles PerHour

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Being really, really nice and the stench of desperation doesn't get you the girl.

Fucking 90s romcoms ruined everything. lol

Disclaimer: I'm not saying "be an asshole", just "move on".

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
I was legitimately in my twenties when I learned you snap your fingers with your thumb and middle finger. I'd always try to do with my thumb and trigger finger and just assumed I couldn't do it for some reason.

Felt really dumb after that.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
I was never that into Michael Jackson, but I obviously heard a lot of his music over the years. There was this one song that I was sure was called "Ender," and I thought the lyrics were "I"ll be the ender!" and it related to him ending a toxic relationship. It turns out the whole time it was "Dirty Diana."