• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Alt + Backspace (or Option + Delete on macOS) deletes the whole word instead of a single character
Ctrl-a goes back to start of line, ctrl-e to end, ctrl-k kills from cursor forward, ctrl-w deletes backward (word at a time). There are a ton. Look up readline bindings. This is one thing I love about MacOS.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I've always used a PC, but have used a Mac occasionally for the last several years. Window management seems nonexistent on Mac. What do you do specifically that makes it work so well?

I'm thinking of things on PC like alt-tabbing, tiling windows left and right (which then allows them to be resized together so that they always fill up the screen) and grouping of windows in the same program on the task bar. On Mac I'm always just dragging windows around to get them out of the way, though I'm sure I'm doing it wrong.
I don't like snapping windows to fill up portions of the screen except in rare instances, so we might have different ideals here. But the big things for me are 1) treating individual desktops as actual individuals and 2) the use of spaces.

1) RIght now I use a MacBook that I keep closed 99% of the time with three external monitors. I can move my mouse to a specific screen and use a three finger swipe to switch between multiple desktops on each screen without changing desktops on the other screens. The last I checked, Windows 10 treats all of your screens as one giant desktop, and if you want to shift to a different virtual desktop on one display, it changes it on all of them.

2) I guess this is related to the previous item, but I can swipe three fingers up to view all of my open windows on my currently active desktops. If I move the mouse up to the top of the window on one of them, it shows all of the virtual desktops available on each display. I can then move applications from any active virtual desktop to any other virtual desktop that the system is currently using.

I mostly just find it easier to work with a bunch of open applications on macOS by virtue of using Spaces, virtual desktops, and gesture controls than I have been able to manage on the Windows side.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
It took me maybe a year with my Intel i9 corporate MacBook Pro before I realized how to tile full screen windows.

Three years later and I never use this feature anymore, it's buggy, cumbersome and too slow in an ideal workflow. Window management on MacOS fucking sucks and I cannot believe that they haven't just adopted the Windows/Ubuntu system of tiling yet.

Magnet

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
If I'm trying to copy some basic text that may be formatted already (different font, colors, etc) but have it easily match the formatting of a word document or spreadsheet, I just copy the text into a browser address bar, copy it from there, and paste into the document.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
IE is a terrible browser
Edge is decent tho

I'm thinking of things on PC like alt-tabbing, tiling windows left and right (which then allows them to be resized together so that they always fill up the screen) and grouping of windows in the same program on the task bar. On Mac I'm always just dragging windows around to get them out of the way, though I'm sure I'm doing it wrong.
Command + Tab on Mac is basicaly Alt + Tab

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I've loved the feature introduced years ago in browsers that put little speaker icons on tabs to show if a page is making noise.

Today I learned that you can click on the speaker icon on the tab itself to mute it. I only discovered this because I accidentally clicked the speaker when trying to quickly click the tab to find whatever was making noise on the page to mute it.

Game changer.
You know what would be better than the volume icon? A stop play icon.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Tired of taking a screenshot of your whole screen when you want to show someone a small fraction of it? Maybe you even open an image editor to crop it? Win+Shift+S and then select what you want

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm trying to copy some basic text that may be formatted already (different font, colors, etc) but have it easily match the formatting of a word document or spreadsheet, I just copy the text into a browser address bar, copy it from there, and paste into the document.
I mean, ctrl + shift + V generally pastes without formatting without that address bar trick ?

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Tired of taking a screenshot of your whole screen when you want to show someone a small fraction of it? Maybe you even open an image editor to crop it? Win+Shift+S and then select what you want

I'm loving that I created this thread.

It was meant more about obvious things you missed, but has turned into a pro tips thread

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving that I created this thread.

It was meant more about obvious things you missed, but has turned into a pro tips thread
Speaking of which, I don't know how recent that is because I only noticed it on my work computer the other day, but there's a new snipping tool in windows 10 that maps to the print screen key the first time you open it.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I mean, ctrl + shift + V generally pastes without formatting without that address bar trick ?

There are other ways of doing this I just find that address bar trick faster, and I'm not sure how many people know copying from the address bar can do that (also the finger placement for that is awkward).

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
snacknuts it all falls apart when you want to use keyboard shortcuts. It's absolutely terrible. Some features can be added via apps like magnets, others simply don't work. I also love the maximize button that does whatever the fuck it wants lol.

Open two Safari windows, put one on screen 1 the other on screen 2 and try to find the one that's not in focus without expose, the dock or the Safari menu.
I always have multiple instances/windows of the same app running and this is driving me absolutely nuts for years now lol.

well, I'm currently using Windows while waiting for Arm Macs to mature and at least I can Alt Tab to every single open window on my desktop. How hard can it be to add that to MacOS?

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Something I did know but is relatively new: Win + V shows your clipboard history so you can paste anything from the last 10-20 things you copied.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I only learned about cntrl+f in browsers a few years ago

I just taught two managers, about my age, you could do this with most pdfs/files online. I didn't judge them but I worry how much longer they've spent reading things before.

Something I did know but is relatively new: Win + V shows your clipboard history so you can paste anything from the last 10-20 things you copied.

... I just learned this.

jizzywinks

Oct 27, 2017
UK
For ages, I didn't realise you could have shared Teams files and folders appear in Explorer, so I'd go through the files tab in Teams which takes ages to load.

Excel:
  • Transpose paste. Used to spend ages flipping tables around and rewriting formulas.
  • Only copying visible cells after filtering a list is also handy, even more so when you chuck the shortcut in the quick access toolbar.
It's not obvious but the space bar is the quick key for mute/unmute in Teams

Amazing, thanks!

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to select text that's part of a hyperlink, holding alt and then clicking prevents the link activating. Really useful if you're reading reddit and want to look up someone's name that's part of a title.

Chronus

Nov 2, 2017
A few years old for me, but for the time I've been using computers, it's recent. Typing cmd in the folder path area will open the command prompt in that folder with the path to that folder already included.
Haven't used windows 10 much but, doesn't shift + right clicking anywhere on the folder contents brings up the "Open command prompt here" option? Or was that removed after windows 7?

Chronus

Nov 2, 2017
I learned this a few years ago and it blew my mind, haha.
Also works for reversing the order in an alt tab if you Alt+Shift+Tab. A friend of mine knew about the reverse form thing but was still mind blown by not having to go all the way around in an alt tab if he went past his selection.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
ctrl+a marks every item in a folder
shift+tab moves bullet point items to the left in Word (and as I just learned from above moves you backwards in forms lol)

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
A few years old for me, but for the time I've been using computers, it's recent. Typing cmd in the folder path area will open the command prompt in that folder with the path to that folder already included.
Wait, WHAT?! How did I not know about this?! I just went through a whole ordeal the other day to edit my registry and add the "Open Powershell Here" option when I shift+right click in a folder. FML

EDIT: WORKS WITH POWERSHELL TOO! Oh god, so much time wasted...

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Shift + Windows + S, i think? Opens a screenshot tool and copies whatever you select to the clipboard

Oct 27, 2017
Plainfield, IL
Never got used to using the multiple desktop feature of Windows 10 until I realized CTRL+WIN+Left/Right quickly swaps through them, then couldn't live without. Disabling animations made it even better.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, Alt+Tab is probably the biggest game changer for me in a work capacity due to working with maybe 5-6 systems/programmes at a time.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Had no idea that Windows Key + left arrow (or right arrow) makes Windows split screen the program you are in, and you just select the other program you want to run side by side.

Learned this waaaaaay too late.

Damn I've been struggling by splitting them manually this whole damn time. Crazy. Thanks for this.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
Not obvious: Next time you've run a few commands in windows cmd prompt, try hitting F7. No more mashing ↑↓ arrows.

Obvious: In most cases the CTRL key makes you skip words when editing text. No more mashing ←→ and backspace. I'm sure this has been around since DOS wordperfect but I didn't start using it until a few years ago. Now I'm irritated if any text interface doesn't let me do it.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
This is pretty cool. Would be nice if it worked in PowerShell too!

..unless something like it is already in PowerShell and I just didn't know?
After someone showed me that, 1st place I went was powershell. I do a lot of quick random things with pssession
It does have command history. You can type the 1st few characters of previous ones and hit F8.

edit: huh. Get-History and Invoke-History is a thing.

These threads are always fun.