• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
What does that even mean? It was hyped up and marketed just like an AAA game. Pretty sure it still cost around $60.. devs can't just name it an AA game just to lower expectations.

You really don't know what are you talking about if you think TOW was marketed like your average AAA game.

Private Division was created by Take-Two to make AA games, asking $60 does not make your game AAA at all.

www.rockpapershotgun.com

Take-Two launch 'indie' publishing label Private Division

Reminding us all that the term 'indie' is meaningless, Take-Two Interactive--the multi-billion-dollar owners of GTA dev…

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing Pillars right now and loving it, plus TOW was one of my favorite games last year so paint me intrigued sir!

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope its not another fps rpg like outer worlds, but the fact that its AAA does not bode well for that...

Oct 26, 2017
So anyone selling their AA games for less than $60 is pretty much throwing money away?

Did i say that? No.

Pricing is subjective, there are AAA games that cost $50-70m to make and there are AAA games that cost up to $100m, just like there are games that cost $15-20m to make and they are all priced in the same range.

Darksiders 3 was made by a team of 40 people and priced at 60 bucks, THQ Nordic expectations were "a couple of thousand" copies and they were pretty happy with the results.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Did i say that? No.

Pricing is subjective, there are AAA games that cost $50-70m to make and there are AAA games that cost up to $100m, just like there are games that cost $15-20m to make and they are all priced in the same range.

Darksiders 3 was made by a team of 40 people and priced at 60 bucks, THQ Nordic expectations were "a couple of thousand" copies and they were pretty happy with the results.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see whatever AAA means in this context then. Not much of a descriptor beyond some vague ambition.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Shame that it's another First Person Melee & Ranged RPG, I don't think they're very good at that nor does that combo work especially well fora nyone other than Bethesda. Still nice to see they're thriving, look forward to what their first big project with MS backing will end up looking like.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Shame that it's another First Person Melee & Ranged RPG, I don't think they're very good at that nor does that combo work especially well fora nyone other than Bethesda. Still nice to see they're thriving, look forward to what their first big project with MS backing will end up looking like.
It works if you go the Prey route..

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I'd expect its a new IP, since it'll be exclusive to Xbox/PC, Microsoft probably wants them to pump out a new franchise.

That said, part of me would love to see an RPG set in the Halo or Gears universes.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I think Avellone is independent. I know he's attached to the story mechanics of Dying Light 2 but he may be doing so as a contractor not as a techland employee.

its not outside the realm of possibility that he has multiple projects across different developers he's working on

Yes but he's 100% sure not working with obsidian. He had a big fallout and he had a big problem the leadership (and said he wouldn't return to work there unless they were gone). It was pretty dramatic.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
If you look to most lists of highest selling RPGs, either by series or individual titles, the only First Person games that make the list are Elder Scrolls or Fallout. Once Cyberpunk 2077 comes out it's bound to shake that up, and who knows it might revitilize interest in games like that which other games like Deus Ex didn't manage to do, but going by the recent trends it doesn't look like a winning combo.

Oct 1, 2019
it's possible. i did warn that the studios they have been getting have really high cadence.

the studios MS has that are high cadence:(2 year) coalition, obsidian, playground, turn10, ninja theory, double fine (though that's historical indie sized games), inxile
medium cadence(3 year): 343 (they only had 2 releases 3 years apart then went into retooling)
low cadence or unknown(3-4 years+) mojang, compulsion, undead labs, rare, initiative, world's edge

Sony has been largely low cadence... also should note all of this is largely not concrete, either. There was a time when Rare's output was insane. I'm hoping the emergence of tools like quixel and the increasing prominence of Unity/Unreal will greaty increase fidelity while maintaining recent release cadence.
I agree. MS's acquisitions and rapid expansion towards the end of this generation is very impressive. They are now poised to claim the throne next gen.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
The Outer Worlds was a huge disappointment for me. Admittedly, my expectations were really high. I was hoping for another New Vegas.
Hopefully, this new game will be better.
Agreed. I wanted TOW to be great, but it completely failed to meet expectations set by their previous output. I don't know what TOW's budget was, but it felt kind of cheap. Like they didn't have the time or money to hire more/better writers or put together a truly interesting combat system.

OP
OP
Stef

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
It think Matt is implying that the existence of Fable doesn't prevent Obsidian making another fantasy RPG.

"That's neither here nor there" is a delicate way of saying "that doesn't matter / that's irrelevant".

I see.

Yep, considering how long such kind of games are usually in development it would make sense to have 2 fantasy sagas, just like Microsft has 2 sci-fi series and 2 racing-game series.

On the other hand I still think they'll ask Obsidian di develop a RPG based on one of their sci-fi IPs. Let's see.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, Fable also being a fantasy game shouldn't stop Obsidian from making a fantasy game as well. They'll likely be very different.

I imagine Fable will be closer to something like The Witcher 3, while Obsidian's will be more of a Skyrim-like.

(I know it's incredibly reductive to use those type of comparisons, but you get the point)

InXile's AAA RPG new IP remains the big mystery now. That one is probably pretty far out though.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Thoroughly enjoyed The Outer Worlds and that was more AA than AAA in regards to budget. Hopefully this will be even better.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Yes but he's 100% sure not working with obsidian. He had a big fallout and he had a big problem the leadership (and said he wouldn't return to work there unless they were gone). It was pretty dramatic.

Exactly, Avellone hasn't just burnt that bridge, he's broken it down to its individual atoms. After character-assassinating all of their owners there's no way in hell he's working with Obsidian again.