• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They just got bought and are already divided in 3 projects, with a AAA label behind one of them? C'mon, this is the same kind of mistakes Microsoft made previously that led to cancellation of tons of games and closure of studios.

Think about the long run.

Obsidian has worked on multiple games simultaneously long before MS so I'm not sure what you're freaking out about.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wonder if it'll be a new IP or something set in one of their existing worlds (or maybe a licensed game?)

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of a better-written character than Parvati Holcomb last year. The plotting of TOW was adequate, but the characterization and dialog, particularly from that character, was excellent.

I'm just sad that I won't be playing this new game because it'll be Xbox/PC only. :(
It sucks for PS only gamers but this was honestly the best case scenario. Now they have the financial backing of a publisher/console maker so they do not have to stress out as much when a game does not meet expectations, and Microsoft is releasing these games on Xbox AND PC. The most gamers possible while also giving them financial backing.

And yes technically a third party big name publisher could have gotten them, but I don't even want to think what would have happened to them if EA, Activision or Ubisoft had gotten them.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
Just give me Pillars of Eternity 3 :(
Couldn't really care less about their other output if it is like The Outer Worlds (I mean, it wasn't a bad game, but kinda meh)

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
I'm quite surprised how many people here didn't like The Outer Worlds.

It was my favorite RPG since Skyrim.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Something along the lines of Elder Scrolls please. But a single player game, not some online multiplayer garbage.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Great to hear, can't wait to see it. I do hope and expect that it will be a good step up from TOW in terms of visuals and animations. Great game, but in that department it can greatly improve. I think we all know that.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
I have so far been enjoying Outer Worlds a lot! But I'm hoping for new IP! Gimme something unique and interesting for next gen!

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks for PS only gamers but this was honestly the best case scenario. Now they have the financial backing of a publisher/console maker so they do not have to stress out as much when a game does not meet expectations, and Microsoft is releasing these games on Xbox AND PC. The most gamers possible while also giving them financial backing.

And yes technically a third party big name publisher could have gotten them, but I don't even want to think what would have happened to them if EA, Activision or Ubisoft had gotten them.

Oh yeah, I'd rather Obsidian survive and make great games than be dead, even if as a PS4/Switch owner with a cheap laptop, I won't be able to play them. At least other people will.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
They just got bought and are already divided in 3 projects, with a AAA label behind one of them? C'mon, this is the same kind of mistakes Microsoft made previously that led to cancellation of tons of games and closure of studios.

Lionhead's problem was Fable 3 being hugely rushed (it was made in 18 months), followed by an extended period of mucking around with Kinect games that went very poorly. This, combined with Molyneux's management, led to an exodus of staff, followed by Molyneux himself. These departures obliterated the studio's internal culture.

Microsoft then meddled, and had them try to make a "service-based" Fable game that was intended to be Fable Legends. That game's development had massive issues, and the remaining shell of a shell of what was once Lionhead, was closed.

It had nothing to do with multiple projects or split attention. And I'm still unclear how much of the Kinect nonsense had to do with Molyneux, versus a mandate from above. Molyneux really seemed to be into that Milo thing.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a simple man, I ask too much from my RPGs other than keeping me entertained.

Seems like millions of people agree with me as well.

I ultimately like Skyrim as much as the next guy but not for anything it does as a RPG. At the very least, what it has to offer as a RPG is inoffensive. Such is Bethesda, and I am okay with that.

OW actually strives to be a RPG with some depth but its attempt is unfortunately riddled with poor design. Thus I can't help but be disappointed by it.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
DLC for previous Obsidian games have done a pretty good job of changing according to criticism towards their respective main games, so I'm reasonably confident The Outer Worlds' DLC will alleviate some of the problems I had with it.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was surprisingly just "whelmed" by The Outer Worlds (something about the game's humor didn't resonate with me), so I'm looking forward to seeing what these guys put out next.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of a better-written character than Parvati Holcomb last year. The plotting of TOW was adequate, but the characterization and dialog, particularly from that character, was excellent.

I'm just sad that I won't be playing this new game because it'll be Xbox/PC only. :(
Be sure to play Disco Elysium when it comes out on PS4 hopefully this year.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

The Outer Worlds team moved onto DLC for TOW and to The Outer Worlds 2.

The Pillars team is now making a new game, probably in the Pillars universe. There's a chance it might be 3rd person or 1st person, but this is most likely the AAA title the OP is talking about.

Grounded is a game made by 12 people, and it sounds like a passion project for the developers.

What are you talking about?

Do you realize Outer Worlds and Pillars 2 were being worked on concurrently?

Feb 12, 2019
Given that The Outer Worlds felt like an audition for Obsidian to make big-budget mainstream-ish RPGs again after Pillars II underperformed, it doesn't surprise me they're working on something big for Microsoft. They made it pretty clear the survival game was a small team endeavor, so I'm not sure why some of you are surprised.

Now, hopefully, whatever this is will be better written and more mechanically interesting than Outer Worlds was. That might be the hardest I've turned on a game in a while, honestly.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Given that The Outer Worlds felt like an audition for Obsidian to make big-budget mainstream-ish RPGs again after Pillars II underperformed, it doesn't surprise me they're working on something big for Microsoft. They made it pretty clear the survival game was a small team endeavor, so I'm not sure why some of you are surprised.

Now, hopefully, whatever this is will be better written and more mechanically interesting than Outer Worlds was. That might be the hardest I've turned on a game in a while, honestly.

You're the second person confused as to why people are surprised and I'm not seeing anyone acting surprised in this thread. I'm not sure why you're not sure why people are surprised in this thread not full of very surprised people.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Regarding the rumor of the Skyrim-like Pillars game, Ffog posted this in the XGS thread.

It may just mean Josh Sawyer doesn't want to work that project (he seems to leading another smaller game), or it may mean Obsidian in general isn't working on a game like that.

First person. Cool. I don't have to feel bad about missing it now.
The same job posting that lists first person combat also says

"Collaborate with the animation and audio teams to determine the overall feel and pace of combat actions utilizing both first and third person animations."

This would imply that there is a toggle. The Outer Worlds didn't have one because of budget reasons. They've had enough feedback on it that I'd imagine a sequel would have a third person mode. Even Grounded has a third person mode.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't like TOW after the first 3-5 hours into the game. Hopefully their next game is better.