• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Discovered in their job announcements, as reported by Klobrille.

Also, it is not a sequel di The Outer Worlds, it seems a separate project (though they are STILL working on that franchise, so I guess we'll get The Outer Worlds 2 down the line).

I can't see a single scenario where this does not generate something very, very good.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Outer Worlds had a solid foundation but floundered a bit in the writing department. Hopefully now with more staff and more time to create a AAA rpg that Obsidian writing I know and love can be up to par alongside the quest design.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
IIRC it's the project led by Chris Parker and Avellone referred to it as "Skyrim-Esque" but not sure if he was referring to that in terms of game design or just overall scope.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
if there is a gaming god it's going to be shadowrun
oh god please please please please be shadowrun

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
The Outer Worlds was a huge disappointment for me. Admittedly, my expectations were really high. I was hoping for another New Vegas.
Hopefully, this new game will be better.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
*Pretends to be shocked*

I do hope it's something more to my taste than Outer Worlds which I thought was poor in the gameplay department and nowhere as deep of an RPG as people made it out to be. Maybe something closer to Pillars of Eternity but with a budget.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
I don't want static open worlds like Outer Worlds anymore. We are past NPC standing around in the same spot phase a long time ago.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want static open worlds like Outer Worlds anymore. We are past NPC standing around in the same spot phase a long time ago.
id like to think this was due to time and budget. They have the ability to create schedules for NPCs alongside other issues faced by Outer Worlds. I just don't think they had the manpower, time or budget to afford going overboard with it. From the get go they warned people to set their expectations accordingly.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Obsidian said it was working on another RPG back when it announced Grounded at E3 2019. Glad we're getting small tidbits of new info but it's not exactly something we couldn't have guessed.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
id like to think this was due to time and budget. They have the ability to create schedules for NPCs alongside other issues faced by Outer Worlds. I just don't think they had the manpower, time or budget to afford going overboard with it. From the get go they warned people to set their expectations accordingly.

Yeah considering it was their first project of that scope after 3 CRPGs while still remaining independent, the limitations were understandable. I'm keen to see what they can do with Microsoft's money and expertise from other studios.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017

Oh yeah, it was a time and budget thing for sure. But I would very much have a linear 15 hour game from Obsidian than this static game that does nothing with its open world.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

That depends entirely on budget. The Outer Worlds was something that was clearly made on a limited budget relative to something like a Fallout game.

As for the OP - Phil Spencer let slip in December during the Major Nelson podcast, that Obsidian were working on something else besides Grounded and TOW, and he seemed pretty excited about it. A AAA RPG would certainly fit that bill.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They just got bought and are already divided in 3 projects, with a AAA label behind one of them? C'mon, this is the same kind of mistakes Microsoft made previously that led to cancellation of tons of games and closure of studios.

Think about the long run.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
They just got bought and are already divided in 3 projects, with a AAA label behind one of them? C'mon, this is the same kind of mistakes Microsoft made previously that led to cancellation of tons of games and closure of studios.

Which 1st parties did this happen to?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Wich first party had to many projects?

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019

They were divided before they were bought... thats how they work

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
tenor.gif

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interested. I wasn't impressed of their output since Pillars and some poeple left the studio too, but let's see how this one turns out.

Barkspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Since they're owned by Microsoft, and EA has the rights to Star Wars, it can't be KOTOR 3 right?

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
IIRC it's the project led by Chris Parker and Avellone referred to it as "Skyrim-Esque" but not sure if he was referring to that in terms of game design or just overall scope.

Just a reminder that Avellone is gone from Obsidian.
This RPG has been going for a while, pretty sure last year they were already recruiting people.