• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

To be fair i am now more fan also of the more "semi open world" games. Open world games like they said come with a certain things that can make it easy bloated.
I enjoy the more hub and semi open world alot more in Gears 5 and GoW lately.

But as always i recommend to watch it. Its 6 min the part.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I have to agree here, but it depends on the type of game they want to make. I can see Outer Worlds being a more dense semi open world experience, whereas whatever they have cooking in the Pillars series can be fully open world

I'm just glad these guys finally get to stretch their wings.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Not everything needs to be open world. Especially if they don't feel comfortable doing a game like this. Do what you want Obsidian.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Open world needs to be refined. "Go anywhere anytime" is a recipe for staleness. Rare is the game that can pull it off and even then narrative has no choice but to go out the door.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
If it feels like KoTOR or Mass Effect 1 then it'll be a hit for me. That type of game is surely missing these days.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Thats completely fine.

The best parts of Fallout New Vegas was the questing and writing, its what they excelled at. Focusing on a strong setting thats densely packed in each zone rather than being spread all out works for them.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling I'm gonna dig this style of open world much more than a "fully" open world when it comes to this type of game.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I don't blame them. Modern Fallout has a lot of emptiness. Collecting beer cans and rusty fans in abandoned houses gets old quick.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They don't need to push it open world just because. If OW 1 is a success, do more of that but AAA.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I'm playing through KOTOR now and I fucking love the collection of open levels more than most full open worlds. A good approach to take.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
will next gen be the generation of semi-open world games?
this gen it seemed like everyone was chasing the open world money.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
'Open world' is such a huge turn off for me these days, so this is encouraging. The open world of New Vegas was mostly incidental. Everything that made me love that game as much as I do had nothing to do with its openness.

Dec 20, 2017
Makes sense. I've been replaying New Vegas, and honestly even though the world is open, it doesn't play that open (at least in comparison to something like BotW)- the world is largely built around the highways, with mountains and hills preventing you from cutting across the world at will. What gives the player freedom is less the lack of restriction on how you travel, but the amount of forking paths they give you (both in the world design, and in the design of the narrative). You could honestly make New Vegas a set of limited world zones, and it would probably be a better game for it, since they'd be able to spend more time bringing each zone to life (in contrast to the worst-of-both-worlds New Vegas had with large amounts of sparse desert in the open world and little life in the cities).

kingkenny76

Oct 31, 2017
I have to agree, I'd rather have a semi-open world game with interesting things to do than an open-world game were you have to go around skinning animals, unlocking towers or collecting useless shit.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Not every game needs to be open world. Nor does semi-open world equate to a lack of scale or immersion. I think GoW pulled it off really well, and I enjoy getting familiar with a location that isn't massive like, say, Witcher 3, but also not as confined as a Deus Ex. From the looks of it, The Outer Worlds is going to be a nice in between size world, but that excites me, because it implies that more time could be put into content/quests/world-building, etc. The Witcher 3 is one of the few games that I felt managed to make its side quests feel fleshed out despite the world map being absolutely huge and overwhelming. I'm pretty sure there are large portions of the Witcher 3 that I haven't even seen because eventually I just got too exhausted by the size of the world, and began to focus more on the story than exploration/adventuring.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I mean you do you...

One of my favorite things about open world RPGs is trying stuff like crossing the entire map early on, doing things "before I'm supposed to", etc.

But if that's not the kind of game they want to create than so be it.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I mean you do you...

One of my favorite things about open world RPGs is trying stuff like crossing the entire map early on, doing things "before I'm supposed to", etc.

But if that's not the kind of game they want to create than so be it.
You can make games non-linear without an open world.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

To be fair i am now more fan also of the more "semi open world" games. Open world games like they said come with a certain things that can make it easy bloated.
I enjoy the more hub and semi open world alot more in Gears 5 and GoW lately.

But as always i recommend to watch it. Its 6 min the part.

I agree that semi open worlds are great, but I don't think Gears 5 is a good example. The weakest aspect of that game was its boring and pointless open spaces. God of War is a good example though.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The comparisons they give to the first Mass Effect make me even more excited for this.

That's honestly what it's been reminding me more of than anything in terms of the exploration aspect at least (But no Mako. Screw that noise). Side note, I already have a really good Assassin build planned out, but I'll have to save it for a second playthrough. Otherwise, I would be missing out on the companions.

Also agree with the sentiment that NV wasn't truly an open world game. At least not in the sense in which they have become lately. It was one of the few "open world" styled games I can say felt that they were done right.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
One of my favourite things to do in NV was exploring and discovering neat little details out in the middle of nowhere. I thought they did a good job of populating an interesting, worthwhile open world, it doesn't have to be huge.

Oh well, the game still looks great.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a hub of sorts in The Outer Worlds?
You've got a ship, the Unreliable, that'll serve as this game's Normandy/Ebon Hawk-equivalent hub.

One of my favourite things to do in NV was exploring and discovering neat little details out in the middle of nowhere. I thought they did a good job of populating an interesting, worthwhile open world, it doesn't have to be huge.

Oh well, the game still looks great.
I don't disagree, but tbh I get that same feeling from games like KotOR II, even though the 'worlds' are much smaller than the Mojave.

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
I find Hub Worlds like in Greedfall work really well, sometimes open world games are too "open" and you just get totally side tracked, bored or just overcome by the sheer scale of things

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Not every game needs to be open world, but that sentiment is shared by many because most games don't get it right. If semi open works best for Outer Worlds, I'm all for it.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Most games don't pull off open worlds very well anyway. RDR2 for example does, but the Fallout series doesn't. Hours of walking through a wasteland with really nothing remarkable in it is not fun at all.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The large open separate areas usually leads to much more varied environments, while still being massive if need be, Borderlands 3 is a good example of this. I don't really have a preference, both can be done well or poorly, but I get burnt-out much more severely when it's just 1 big fuck off massive open world map, so definitely not against this.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It's a wise choice to go more closed unless you can fill the big space with something. RDR2 has set the bar high, AC Odyssey is pretty okay too, but lots of games just feel like Shadow of the Colossus unless you step past the trigger point for the next action segments.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The large open separate areas usually leads to much more varied environments, while still being massive if need be, Borderlands 3 is a good example of this. I don't really have a preference, both can be done well or poorly, but I get burnt-out much more severely when it's just 1 big fuck off massive open world map, so definitely not against this.

Or do it like The Outer Worlds does now and have different planets. :)
Edit: wait thats what you mean.

Last edited:

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I would rather play a game that's smaller but is filled with stuff to do like the yakuza game's