• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so this is something i started noticing recently. we knew months before the launch of the platform that apple is spending a lot to secure games for apple arcade, but they will permit games to be released on PC and consoles after a few months of exclusivity. basically (according to this article) being an apple arcade exclusive just meant that the game won't be released on android, or any other subscription service.

this past week (6 months after the launch of the platform), a few apple arcade launch titles have been announced to be coming to other platforms:

1. Exit the Gungeon, shown in the last nintendo indie world, was shadow dropped for switch and steam last week

2. Shinsekai: Into the Depths was shadow dropped yesterday in the mini direct for switch

3. Assemble with Care was released on steam yesterday

there has also been other examples of launch games being released on other platforms later, such as tangle towers, cat quest 2, and some that have been announced but haven't been released yet like what the golf.

that's pretty much it. does this mean apple is signing games with a 6 month exclusivity window? i know some people were initially mad at devs releasing exclusives for apple arcade, but if they're gonna get some funding and support from apple and be allowed to release the games on other platforms later, that seems like a good deal to me.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I am guessing that most exclusivity windows had a time limit, and what level of exclusivity with regards to other platforms was a case by case basis.

I am kind of curious if all the games on Apple Arcade will remain on Apple Arcade indefinately, or any of them will be removed at any point, or at least maybe just available to buy separately on iOS in addition to being on Apple Arcade.

Not a huge number of games I'd like to try if they were on other platforms, but there is a few, and I the only Apple device have is an old iPad that I don't really use much any more.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
From what i understand most deals allow you to release on other platforms day one if you want. It cannot be part of another subscription service. But again every deal is different.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From what i understand most deals allow you to release on other platforms day one if you want. It cannot be part of another subscription service. But again every deal is different.
yeah there are some games that have launched on apple arcade alongside other platforms (sayonara wild hearts, for example). but there definitely seems to be cases where the games are exclusive at launch. i don't think it's just a case of devs choosing to port the games later.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I don't know why but I always assumed these games would come to other platforms later. Apple Arcade is cool and with a controller its pretty much indistinguishable from playing on a console but I'd prefer to play these on Switch anyway

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I thought most (all?) Apple Arcade games are not on Android.

But the restrictions on releasing on PC or consoles seem lighter.

I am fairly sure you're correct about not being part of any other subscription though.

MBABuddha

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
I can't imagine Apple offered devs so much money that Arcade exclusives can stay there in perpetuity.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Apple Arcade's best game came to PC day one. Feels like Apple has been pretty quiet about Arcade since it first launched actually, was expecting them to go in a bit more aggressive. Have we had any updates on potential subscriber numbers?

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
6 months is about what I expected for them to come over. Shouldn't be that difficult either with most (all?) games on the service supporting controllers.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I wonder what's the apple arcade gaming revenue vs Eshop revenue for indie's?? I'm assuming that Indies would make more money on the Eshop and probably get some free promotion from Nintendo if they switch there indie title to Eshop. Think Nintendo will go head to head with Igaming store if others aren't doing it, for more indie content. Still waiting too, for Oceanhorn and The Quest And expansion to hit the Eshop

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
I just got a sweet new iPhone and I'm still glad these games are available elsewhere. I'd rather play smaller games like this on my Switch.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
for android, probably never. they seem to have a pretty clear rule that the games won't be coming to android.
Might be "ever" or might be "for X months" though. Doubt Apple would ever confirm one way or another, if they are ever coming to android, first thing we will likely hear is their announcement.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Might be "ever" or might be "for X months" though. Doubt Apple would ever confirm one way or another, if they are ever coming to android, first thing we will likely hear is their announcement.
when they revealed the service, they said you won't find these games on any other mobile platform, or any subscription service. and since then many of them have been released on pc or consoles but (unless i'm mistaken) no game on apple arcade has been released for android. seems to me like whether a game is exclusive (like the games in the OP) or just launching on apple arcade alongside other platforms (sayonara wild hearts), part of the conditions for getting on the service is there being no android version.
of course tho, things can change in the future.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Just the other day I was wondering what happened to the new Shantae game. Not the biggest fan of the series, but I always end up buying them wanting a metroidvania game and remembering every time that they don't really scratch that itch for me lol.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Shinsekai and Assemble with Care look cool. Gladly I don't have to subscribe to Apple Arcade to play them.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can also add Shantae and the Seven Sirens to that list (although admittedly WayForward did have the exuse of having to finish up the game, which doesn't excuse the really bad choice of release date for the console/PC versions).

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Lol I was looking if I had to make a thread about it, good observation.
Reminds me of EGS in a way, although of course games are designed differently here.

Some were already known, but some seem pretty surprising. I hope that mean that the new Mistwalker game (whenever it's finally done) will be released on other platforms too, just like Grindstone which I keep hearing great things about.
Shame that the Apple ecosystem is so expensive, as Apple Arcade seems to be a really nice model for everyone.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some were already known, but some seem pretty surprising. I hope that mean that the new Mistwalker game (whenever it's finally done) will be released on other platforms too, just like Grindstone which I keep hearing great things about.
i had completely forgotten about mistwalker's game. has there been no news since the announcement?
about grindstone, i dunno. it seems like such a perfect fit for mobile, i'm not sure how well it'll work on pc/consoles.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very happy that games like these are making their way to other platforms. I subbed to Apple Arcade for two months, but barely used it. I know a lot of games have controller support, but it's so inconvenient IMO as a portable platform to do things that way when I have a Switch, so seeing some of those on Switch now is great. After all these years, touch controls just aren't enjoyable/intuitive for me.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
i had completely forgotten about mistwalker's game. has there been no news since the announcement?
about grindstone, i dunno. it seems like such a perfect fit for mobile, i'm not sure how well it'll work on pc/consoles.
There's plenty of match 3 on pc/console, it can work.
Mistwalker is still in dev, but afaik no game footage, just some mockups and their models.

Nov 28, 2017
I thought most (all?) Apple Arcade games are not on Android.

But the restrictions on releasing on PC or consoles seem lighter.
You are right i should have said non-mobile platforms :)

Sounds like the mobile version of "Console Exclusive".