• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
We'll see.

So you think Valve paid money to Introversion in order to make the game exclusive on Steam? A game that was only available through the developer's own site and nowhere else? Did you read the post you linked?
That post is from 2005 if i am not misreading; 14 years ago. Pc gaming in 2019 is not the same as it was in 2005.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
I've said before, if I was an Indie dev and Epic was offering money, I'd probably take it too. A guaranteed profit on your dev costs even if I'm not going to sell much on EGS seems worth it to me.

In a year when the exclusivity is up, I'd apologize and probably throw in something a little extra.

100% this.

Anyone complaining about devs "selling out" is in the wrong - you take the money, especially at the amounts we've heard Epic is shelling out. Sure, you'll have some diehards complaining on the internet for a week, but then everyone will forget and you get to reap additional sales once the year of exclusivity has run out.

The gaming industry has the memory of a goldfish, take the money and be happy.

The thing is why didnt they specify Last Light Redux launch sales?

It also released in 2013 when most regions on Steam didn't have regional pricing for most regions. That comparison is still not a good one, the one Epic did. They are comparing 2013 Last Light (non redux) launch sales with 2019 EGS store sales.

Very good point. I'd imagine they want to keep it a 1:1 comparison since Redux also launched alongside the original game's remastered version and at a reduced price point, so sales aren't equivalent. I'll agree that it's not a perfect comparison, but it is the most relevant.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
100% this.

Anyone complaining about devs "selling out" is in the wrong - you take the money, especially at the amounts we've heard Epic is shelling out. Sure, you'll have some diehards complaining on the internet for a week, but then everyone will forget and you get to reap additional sales once the year of exclusivity has run out.

The gaming industry has the memory of a goldfish, take the money and be happy.
Given how consumer hostile stores and attempts have gone before on PC, I wouldn't bet on it.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You do realized that Valve put no restriction to whoever release their games on Steam if they wanted to put it on other storefront right? Oh I see, you don't because you are just talking out of your ass and assume that Valve or PC gaming works like console where moneyhatting is common practice. Your massive ignorance here further proves that those who support Epic practice unironically barely plays game on PC.
Or maybe some PC gamers just have a different opinion than you. We're not a hive mind, you know, not every PC gamer thinks alike.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Not sure what you're trying to say? Over twice as many sales is over twice as many sales, and this info is from Epic and Deep Silver instead of some third party tracking website.

Over twice a version of a game that has two, which means this info could mean atleast 3 different numbers, instead of just giving hard numbers for some mysterious-but-not-really reasons.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I've said before, if I was an Indie dev and Epic was offering money, I'd probably take it too. A guaranteed profit on your dev costs even if I'm not going to sell much on EGS seems worth it to me.

In a year when the exclusivity is up, I'd apologize and probably throw in something a little extra.
I dunno man.
A 90% discount on steam launch looks less like 'a little extra'and reeks more of desperation to me :x

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
So you think Valve paid money to Introversion in order to make the game exclusive on Steam? A game that was only available through the developer's own site and nowhere else? Did you read the post you linked?
That's literally what they did. Devs had to stop selling the game on their website and removed the demo because it became a Steam exclusive game. And Valve told them what they had to do.

Of course it's 2005 and completely different times but "Valve didn't ever moneyhat" is a wrong statement. Otherwise why would anyone voluntarily stop selling the game on the official website?

alosarjos

Oct 27, 2017
My doubt with all this is what should we do once all these games release on steam

1- Get them Day1 as (If it was on Steam I would have purchased Day1 1 year ago), but then devs are getting the Epic Money + Second profit income in a year, so doing this looks pretty much profitable for them while we have waited for a year

2. Not getting them Day1 on Steam (And then have devs saying things such as "We sold 3x times on the first month on the Epic store than on Steam, so we will continue with it")

I'm not sure what's the best way to send a message. it's clear that money is the only way to communicate...

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
My doubt with all this is what should we do once all these games release on steam

1- Get them Day1 as (If it was on Steam I would have purchased Day1 1 year ago), but then devs are getting the Epic Money + Second profit income in a year, so doing this looks pretty much profitable for them while we have waited for a year

2. Not getting them Day1 on Steam (And then have devs saying things such as "We sold 3x times on the first month on the Epic store than on Steam, so we will continue with it")

I'm not sure what's the best way to send a message. it's clear that money is the only way to communicate...
You're not communicating anything.

If they gave a shit about what consumers think, they wouldn't do this in the first place. You're not going to influence shitty actors into doing the right thing, if their mind is made up already.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

This will come down as how much money they're getting and if Epic would pay them for exclusivity the next time.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
That post is from 2005 if i am not misreading; 14 years ago. Pc gaming in 2019 is not the same as it was in 2005.

Yeah, 2005. But you're right, this is both extremely old and rather off-topic.

That's literally what they did. Devs had to stop selling the game on their website and removed the demo because it became a Steam exclusive game. And Valve told them what they had to do.

Of course it's 2005 and completely different times but "Valve didn't ever moneyhat" is a wrong statement. Otherwise why would anyone voluntarily stop selling the game on the official website?

For the reason mentioned in the included press release I presume:

DARWINIA AVAILABLE ON STEAM DECEMBER 14

Introversion Scores Worldwide Distribution For Its Latest Creation

Bellevue, WA. – November 14, 2005 – Valve and Introversion today announce that Darwinia, Introversion's multi-genre title, will be available to gamers worldwide on December 14, 2005 via Steam.

Darwinia is the second release from Introversion, a UK-based development group originally founded by three university students who set out to create games that summon the pioneering spirit of the industry's early classics. The follow up to this group's debut title (Uplink), Darwinia is a captivating mix of multiple genres including real-time strategy, arcade, and puzzle games.

PC Gamer magazine UK says, "Darwinia will remind you why you love gaming so much." And Eurogamer.com calls Darwinia, "This year's underground classic."

"In today's market, it's incredibly difficult for an independent developer to secure worldwide distribution for a new property, let alone for one that attempts to blend genres and offer a wide variety of gameplay styles," said Vicky Arundel, head of marketing at Introversion. "Through Steam, however, we are able to offer Darwinia to millions of gamers and early adopters the world over."

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I can't even get mad anymore, I'm just bored and increasingly unlikely to buy these games post-exclusivity.
Pretty much where I am at. I am not planning to utilize EGS at any time during the near future (ie say next three years) so these games don't exist as far as I am concerned.

I will take a look once this and other exclusives show up on other storefronts at a large discount if I am still interested with so many games constantly releasing.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much where I am at. I am not planning to utilize EGS at any time during the near future (ie say next three years) so these games don't exist as far as I am concerned.

I will take a look once this and other exclusives show up on other storefronts at a large discount if I am still interested with so many games constantly releasing.
Same. I'll probably wait for deep discounts, if you devalue your property like this, I'm not sure why I should value it too.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Devolver a few months ago:
Developer or Publisher: Epic is bad. It is foolish to release your game where few people will buy it.
Epic gives a big fat cheque.
Developer or Publisher: Fuck Valve for the 30% cut. Epic is good for us and you, the consumer. Since we receive more money, we will improve our game so you can enjoy it. Oh, and we won't be in the black for months.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
Game seems interesting will probably get it down the line on EGS. Can't listen but as I understand you are the station and follow the main character around -> Playing as gladOS?

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
For the reason mentioned in the included press release I presume
Again, why did they voluntarily stop selling the game on their website instead of giving two options? You can read that thread and some people were saying that they wouldn't buy the game if it was Steam only from the beginning.

For some reason you believe this PR statement but don't trust devs and publishers who are happy with EGS and say the same PR bullshit.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
You guys think almost all of their games on EGS are all moneyhatted from the devs. Almost all of them are publishers who cashed out.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, why did they voluntarily stop selling the game on their website instead of giving two options? You can read that thread and some people were saying that they wouldn't buy the game if it was Steam only from the beginning.

For some reason you believe this PR statement but don't trust devs and publishers who are happy with EGS and say the same PR bullshit.
Selling from your own website, especially back in the day, was a ridiculous pain in the ass filled to th ebrim with ridiculous transaction fees and chargebacks. I expect that at the time they did that entirely voluntarily. Even more so since two options still existed. Physical copies didn't redeem on Steam.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018

Because this was 2005 and a small dev team with no publisher had no resources for distributing a game? If I were making a game myself, even today, I can't fathom what the costs of the kind of server bandwidth necessary for distribution would be, considering I managed to get my Dropbox banned from sharing just by posting my drawings.

I obviously have no numbers to support it, but I have a feeling that Steam's 'exclusivity' conditions back then were more than favorable compared to having to maintain the payment and distribution infrastructure for your game yourself.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I'm very, very disappointed that Devolver decided to support Epic with their disgusting moneyhatting strategy.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Yeah. Devolver seems to do well with their games because they feel like not having really high budgets, but Observation looks a lot more expensive.

If Epic are paying enough money to actually fund the game, that would be obviously a good deal.
Seems most people think they are using the money to go and buy some Ferrari's

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

I do not dispute that Valve told them to stop selling a game through their website. I dispute that they did so because they received a check by Valve. Developers that signed on with EGS already confirmed that they got money for it.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Epic's is bound to get a game I will care enough to buy it on their shitty store. But not for now.

Deleted member 47318

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
well to be honest valve doesn't need to menoyhat given their position.

it's much like sony during the ps2 era..they had the most exclusives games between the 3 competitors and they didn't spend a dime to have most of them
Sony did indeed get a lot of titles onto the PS2 simply by default, but there was still a significant number that they moneyhatted in that era(whether for temporary exclusivity or permanent).

The thing is that the former "exclusives by default" will eventually result from the latter moneyhatting practice. Logic being that moneyhatting increases market share and thusly decreases the amount of lost sales on competitor platforms you need to compensate for, until you're the only viable platform left and there's companies have no choice but to release solely on your platform.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Game looked really interesting, and probably the best from that State of Play thing. Sad.

Fuck it in this case then.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen this game before. The storefront guarantees I will not be be playing it anyways, I suppose. Valve really needs to start forcing contracts onto developers/publishers when they list a game on Steam to prevent this sort of free advertising / bait-and-switch tactics.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
They better cancel their E3 presentation this year. Mocking anti-consumer stuff and bad business practices in general isn't gonna fly anymore.

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
Yeah. Devolver seems to do well with their games because they feel like not having really high budgets, but Observation looks a lot more expensive.

If Epic are paying enough money to actually fund the game, that would be obviously a good deal.

Entering a publishing deal with Observation that requires a not-quite-last-minute payout from Epic doesn't seem like Devolver's usual way of operating. I very much doubt this is a "we need this to make it to the finish line" cash injection. (And if it is, yikes, that's some bad business.)

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I think the most likely scenario is that Epic is giving out stupid money for these moneyhats and most developers and publishers think that they might as well take the money and run because they won't get another chance like that in the future.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Devolver becoming what they used to make fun of. Are they going to rip on themselves for their bext dumbass presentation? Think we all already know the answer to that

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

I post this, but money is ultimately my main concern here as well. Can only fault them so much.

But Devolver and No Code effectively making us a secondary consideration and doing something that's purely bad for consumers, is a reason to feel less supportive of them going forward.

Because this game is €25 and not €60, the Epic tax will make for less of a difference in this case.
So there's that, I guess...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Developers that make the choices in the relationship between Devolver and them, so i guess that was up to NoCode. In the Discord server they said that Stories Untold wasn't a sale success so they are trying to get more visibility in the EGS, hope it goes well for them. Still gonna get the game. Stories Untold was an amazing horror experience.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. I'm not bothered where I buy my games so I'll still be getting this day one on the Epic store. I also don't care about having another launcher. I'm not blindly loyal to Steam/Valve. Stories Untold was awesome and I'm expecting the same from Observation. Looks like a good majority of my PC game purchases are on the Epic store this year. Metro, Control, Outer World's now this.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Devolver has been making fun of the industry for a few years now with their E3 things. IDK why anyone would think they were the cook kid on the block to begin with. They're in this to make money, plain and simple.

That's not to say that I agree with this move, since I'm not a fan of the Epic store/moneyhat model. Their 'good for the industry' schtick shouldn't fool anyone.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
They better cancel their E3 presentation this year. Mocking anti-consumer stuff and bad business practices in general isn't gonna fly anymore.

Pretty much. Them Twitch and/or Youtube comments will be totally trashing their conference...that is if they allow commenting this time around. Man, the irony of doing an Unethical Business Practices conference all the while muting chat comments.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Huh I thought this game had already released. Unless there is a different one out there where you are a station AI.