• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Valve doesn't money hat others to be on Steam. But you know what, I bet you know that.

Enjoy that spyware while you're at it. Some Observation there.
well to be honest valve doesn't need to menoyhat given their position.

it's much like sony during the ps2 era..they had the most exclusives games between the 3 competitors and they didn't spend a dime to have most of them

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Luckily I don't give a shit about this game, but a what weak-ass showing from Devolver given their previous marketing.

How is this shitty business practice
You can find several well-reasoned answers to that question in most previous related threads.

The funniest part about this is nobody even knows the name of the actual developer behind Observation. The money's going straight to the publisher, just like every other deal Epic's making.

I've noticed it's all western publishers jumping after Epic's money.
Epic's "rest of the world" strategy seems to be about as successful as MS' (read: not), so that's not surprising.

A company like Capcom that apparently sells almost half of their PC/Steam copies for several games in China won't be easy to convince.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say that I'm never installing their launcher, bur for every one of me, there are 10000 Fortnite players that already have.
That's a slightly different audience, though. I would think people that buy a game like this are aware of and active on Steam. Question is if they can change that.

Epic's "rest of the world" strategy seems to be about as successful as MS' (read: not), so that's not surprising.

A company like Capcom that apparently sells almost half of their PC/Steam copies for several games in China won't be easy to convince.
Yeah, this really reminds me of Xbox US-focused strategy. Which is weird, since Galyonkin is a big part of it.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Advocating piracy
Meh who cares. If it ever comes to Steam I'll get it, otherwise ARRRRR (if you know what I mean).

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
well to be honest valve doesn't need to menoyhat given their position.

it's much like sony during the ps2 era..they had the most exclusives games between the 3 competitors and they didn't spend a dime to have most of them
This is true, but also not really. In PS2 era is the time of hardware platforms. To multiplat you have to port them which cost time and money so most publishers just don't see it worth the cost most of the time. Storefront however, is a software platform. There is no porting, no extra money involved since it's literally on the same hardware. To put games on other than Steam requires minimal effort and rest solely on the shoulders of the publishers and the indies. PC have been always an open market due to its hardware nature that have been nurtured since IBM times.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I was hoping Devolver would hold out. I just need them to stay strong enough to keep Serious Sam 4 on Steam. And I don't need any "Epic can have Serious Sam" sass! I love them and want 4 to integrate with Serious Sam Fusion.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it... Have to say Epic is nailing it regarding what games I want, but I'm not gonna use their store.

A real pitty, Stories Untold was such an amazing surprise and experience...

PD: I didn't expect this from Devolver, they have been such an amazing editor...

You know why they are nailing?
I'm pretty sure they datamined the Steam wishlists from users

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I wonder if these games are really selling, or the money they get directly from Epic makes the deal worth it even if they don't sell anything.

I'd say that I'm never installing their launcher, bur for every one of me, there are 10000 Fortnite players that already have.

Being really honest, i doubt 99% of Fortnite players will even spend a penny to actually buy a videogame when they pretty much just play Fortnite.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is true, but also not really. In PS2 era is the time of hardware platforms. To multiplat you have to port them which cost time and money so most publishers just don't see it worth the cost most of the time. Storefront however, is a software platform. There is no porting, no extra money involved since it's literally on the same hardware. To put games on other than Steam requires minimal effort and rest solely on the shoulders of the publishers and the indies. PC have been always an open market due to its hardware nature that have been nurtured since IBM times.
fair enough, but the point was just that valve doesn't really need to moneyhat to have pretty much any game that runs on a pc,so the "valve doesn't moneyhat games" point is just a bit hollow since they never ever needed to.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I wonder if these games are really selling, or the money they get directly from Epic makes the deal worth it even if they don't sell anything.

Being really honest, i doubt 99% of Fortnite players will even spend a penny to actually buy a videogame when they pretty much just play Fortnite.
I'd also doubt that 99% of the PC game buying public care about any of this drama.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Another one bites the dust... R.I.P.

Pour one out for Fork Parker, it was a good meme while it lasted.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it... Have to say Epic is nailing it regarding what games I want, but I'm not gonna use their store.

A real pitty, Stories Untold was such an amazing surprise and experience...

PD: I didn't expect this from Devolver, they have been such an amazing editor...

Not playing all the games you want to own the epics

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Putting a game on the EGS is quickly becoming a way to not only be in the black before the game even releases, but ensure more media attention and more people talking about your game than would have ever happened otherwise.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
On one hand, yes. On the other, does EGS even have refunds at the moment? How would one check if the game even works well on their hardware?

Yes EGS has refunds, the exact same model as Steam.

'Checking if the game works well on your hardware' isn't gonna fly here with regards to endorsing piracy.

jeyu

Dec 6, 2018
I already acepted egs as part of gaming Life. Now the talk is cheapier games on there. And im really happy with this

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Will we though ?
I actually believe, fortunately, that Epic's plan is going all in for the 1st year. Hence why everything is a 1 year deal:
-1 year exclusivity for the games
-1 year of no-fees for UE4 games
-1 year of no-fees for the influencers

I think you might be right, but I think they'll reassess then

If they think they're making positive inroads then I would imagine they'll keep going

It's also likely that over time and as more games are Epic only, more people will stop resisting and will just accept they need to buy on the EGS if they want to play the game now

If PC gamers are happy to settle into getting a lot of games a year later on Steam, then that might cause them to stop or at least change tact

It seems unlikely to me they'll just give up entirely and other than money hatting they're miles off the competition at the moment

I guess they could pump tons of money into devs so they can make new games from the ground up for Epic, which I think would be an approach most people would welcome

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I already acepted egs as part of gaming Life. Now the talk is cheapier games on there. And im really happy with this

Talk is cheap. There are more examples of games going EGS exclusive and suddenly having a higher minimum price than vice versa. Well, a few very generous regional prices not withstanding.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Don't worry people.

I suspect that Tim's economics will become real and the developers themselves will start offering their games cheaper.
I believe that is the first thing it will happen as soon as their games will be released on other stores.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Putting a game on the EGS is quickly becoming a way to not only be in the black before the game even releases, but ensure more media attention and more people talking about your game than would have ever happened otherwise.

But there's no proof that says the games sell nearly as well as it would have on steam or any other open store. It's more about the safe bet epic dishes out enough money to cover the cost of development plus something extra and you just hope your name is big enough to entice people over to the epic store.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
What? But this corporation said they wouldn't do it!

Corporations are not your friends.

Anuiran

Oct 27, 2017
I really wonder if the epic game store is going to succeed. The internet (or at least the parts I read) is very against it. The developers of the games themselves can't be happy with this kinda reaction.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
It would be hilarious though if during E3 they suddenly go "psych" and the game's back on Steam.

But I doubt even Devolver would go that far.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Probably why a cash injection from epic appealed to them

Yeah. Devolver seems to do well with their games because they feel like not having really high budgets, but Observation looks a lot more expensive.

If Epic are paying enough money to actually fund the game, that would be obviously a good deal.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
No, they absolutely did not.
"We are very happy to announce the launch of Darwinia on Steam. Introversion has teamed up with Valve to release Darwinia on their online games distribution platform making it available to millions of new gamers.

As part of the launch and Steam's exclusivity, we will no longer be offering Darwinia as a download option from our site, although it will still be possible to purchase shipped boxed copies. At Valve's request we will also be removing the demo from our site for about a month."

https://forums.introversion.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=40203

And other examples

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
But there's no proof that says the games sell nearly as well as it would have on steam or any other open store. It's more about the safe bet epic dishes out enough money to cover the cost of development plus something extra and you just hope your name is big enough to entice people over to the epic store.

I believe Epic has stated that Metro: Exodus sales were over twice that of Metro: Last Light on Steam during launch week at GDC.

Metro Exodus sold 2.5x of Last Light!!!

*on launch
**of a game that tracked 50k owners on Steam
***pls understand

Not sure what you're trying to say? Over twice as many sales is over twice as many sales, and this info is from Epic and Deep Silver instead of some third party tracking website.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I believe Epic has stated that Metro: Exodus sales were over twice that of Metro: Last Light on Steam during launch week at GDC.

The thing is why didnt they specify Last Light Redux launch sales?

It also released in 2013 when most regions on Steam didn't have regional pricing for most regions. That comparison is still not a good one, the one Epic did. They are comparing 2013 Last Light (non redux) launch sales with 2019 EGS store sales.

Does the epic games store run VR, how does it work?

Subnautica starts either SteamVR or OculusVR.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I've said before, if I was an Indie dev and Epic was offering money, I'd probably take it too. A guaranteed profit on your dev costs even if I'm not going to sell much on EGS seems worth it to me.

In a year when the exclusivity is up, I'd apologize and probably throw in something a little extra.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Potentially, not enough data on that as of yet. I think, as per usual, ResetEra is the very vocal minority.

We'll see.

"We are very happy to announce the launch of Darwinia on Steam. Introversion has teamed up with Valve to release Darwinia on their online games distribution platform making it available to millions of new gamers.

As part of the launch and Steam's exclusivity, we will no longer be offering Darwinia as a download option from our site, although it will still be possible to purchase shipped boxed copies. At Valve's request we will also be removing the demo from our site for about a month."

https://forums.introversion.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=40203

And other examples

So you think Valve paid money to Introversion in order to make the game exclusive on Steam? A game that was only available through the developer's own site and nowhere else? Did you read the post you linked?

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks Devolver, I dont even have to think about buying this game now. Thats how you ruin your credibility.