• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
How is this shitty business practice as opposed to, say, releasing only on Steam (most PC games). Why don't people complain about this in every announcement thread for games, which only release on one store? This is just another form of port-begging.
You do realized that Valve put no restriction to whoever release their games on Steam if they wanted to put it on other storefront right? Oh I see, you don't because you are just talking out of your ass and assume that Valve or PC gaming works like console where moneyhatting is common practice. Your massive ignorance here further proves that those who support Epic practice unironically barely plays game on PC.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
How is this shitty business practice as opposed to, say, releasing only on Steam (most PC games). Why don't people complain about this in every announcement thread for games, which only release on one store? This is just another form of port-begging.
Because Valve isn't paying devs to put their games only on Steam. They can release then anywhere they want, EGS included, but choose not to.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Because Valve never actually asked the publishers to put their games on Steam, let alone pay them money to not let the game in any other store.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Such a shock! All the companies that some of you are "massive fans" of only really care about one thing, money. Video game companies are not your friends, let these be continued lessons not to have out of control attachment to brands, developers or anything of the sorts.

It's really not hard to change your own outlook, just stop allowing fandoms to consume you.

Sadly it will continue to happen no matter how much sense you speak.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
If Epic Games has the same sweet deals that Steam does, I got no problems with exclusive games. I have a few EA Games and they're exclusive to Origin.

This entire thing is a big brouhaha over nothing.
But Tim Sweeney said that they don't believe in sales event and discount. So yeah good luck with that.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
If Epic Games has the same sweet deals that Steam does, I got no problems with exclusive games. I have a few EA Games and they're exclusive to Origin.

They wont, that's against everything they stand for.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
1d3.gif
Can King Crimson work it so I can skip ahead to when the game is 90% off a few years from now? :V

Oct 25, 2017
You do realized that Valve put no restriction to whoever release their games on Steam if they wanted to put it on other storefront right? Oh I see, you don't because you are just talking out of your ass and assume that Valve or PC gaming works like console where moneyhatting is common practice. Your massive ignorance here further proves that those who support Epic practice unironically barely plays game on PC.
This is exactly why I don't reply to those comments, this shit has been mind-numbing lately.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
If they wouldn't make more money by putting it on the EGS, they wouldn't do it.

At this point I have to think that comments like this are just in completely bad faith. Because there have been eleventy billion threads about EGS money hatting, and people explaining why these things are bad and how it is in no way comparable to Steam. I refuse to believe anyone hasn't seen any of these hundreds and hundreds of comments.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

EA created those games though, in that instance it's perfectly acceptable to have them exclusive to their own store.

It really isn't over nothing, data privacy concerns, lack of consumer choice, anti-consumer behaviour, lies, moneyhatting, poor features in comparison to other services and a man in Tim Sweeney that already left PC gaming once because of "piracy" has now come back to try and take over using tactics that negatively impact consumers.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
If they wouldn't make more money by putting it on the EGS, they wouldn't do it.

Is this another first party question or does this include third party?

Because nobody is complaining about first party, that was a decade or so ago.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for their E3 press conference where they make "self aware" jokes to "win back" everyone.

"Haha of course we took the Epic money! Are you crazy!?"

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
The last two are weird arguments (and I say that as someone who uses both Linux and a DS4).

How are they weird argument? If there isnt a Linux version, Proton (Steam) lets you play almost all Windows games on Linux now.

DS4 is officially supported by Steam too (same as Switch Pro controller) so you can easily start games on Steam with a DS4. On the other hand DS4 was not recognized in Subnautica on EGS. So you have to use DS4Windows to play Subnautica with a DS4, while Steam officially supports it without having to install a 3rd party tool.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018

Epic won't though, that's the thing. They're positioning themselves as a best-profit store for the publishers, and the cut they take is already unsustainable in most of the world (i.e.: outside the US). Any sale will directly cut into all profits involved. Add to that their stance about "visibility is more important than sales", and the general attitude, and I actually believe that the EGS will take games off the store rather than keep them around long enough for a drop in price to be needed. It keeps prices high, and keeps the store from being cluttered by old games.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
But why do it in a game announcement thread and completely drown out any discussion about the actual game? YOu don't do that for PSN exclusives, why do it for EGS exclusives?

This isnt a game announcement thread. The game was announced ages ago. This isnt a release date thread. That was announced yesterday.

This is a thread to tell people that it will be an EGS exclusive ahead of the devolver announcement. A game that up until a few weeks back had a steam page that was removed.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
The trailer was also uploaded on the 23rd, they just haven't bothered to finish preparing their pr statement before actually listing it

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And they will continue to do so, once Epic doesn't pay them more than they'd make elsewhere. Why aren't you complaining about other games which only release on a single platform?
It's the same reason, why era is overtly negative about Stadia and Apple Arcade: They don't already own the platform, so they won't go to war for it.

The last two are weird arguments (and I say that as someone who uses both Linux and a DS4). Do you complain about XBox-esxclusives the same way? Most of your arguments apply to console exclusives as well.
I don't like exclusives either. If it was up to me, all games would release on all platforms. It's not up to me, however, and that's why era has rules against console warring and port-begging, to keep these kinds of discussions from clogging up threads about games.
Publishers have no obligation to cater to your interests, their primary function is to do what's best for their developers. You are free to not buy the game, of course, and even voice your thoughts on that. But why do it in a game announcement thread and completely drown out any discussion about the actual game? YOu don't do that for PSN exclusives, why do it for EGS exclusives?

As a consumer, it makes zero difference to me why a game is exclusive to Steam. If I can only buy it on Steam, I can only buy it on Steam. The possibility of the publisher releasing it on itch doesn't mean shit to me, if they don't make use of it.

tl;dr: hate the EGS and it's money-hatting all you want (more power to you and I mean that), but this thread is about Observation and not about the EGS.
This thread is about the exclusivity announcement . It will be what is discussed because that's what the thread is about.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
at this point, it's a matter before 'first half life, 3 screenshots' is being announced on Epic games store exclusive as well.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
This isnt a game announcement thread. The game was announced ages ago. This isnt a release date thread. That was announced yesterday.

This is a thread to tell people that it will be an EGS exclusive ahead of the devolver announcement. A game that up until a few weeks back had a steam page that was removed.
Oh! In this case I'm sorry for being dismissive of what are valid concerns. My bad!

Oct 25, 2017

No sales, but Tim Sweeney said publishers will make the games cheaper themselves, because of the better margins of the Epic Store.
So if you believe in Santa Claus...

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Antagonizing other members and drive-by posting
lmao

Watching the peeps here go 'I WONNTTTTT FALL FOR IT' over all these games is hilarious

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
The funniest part about this is nobody even knows the name of the actual developer behind Observation. The money's going straight to the publisher, just like every other deal Epic's making.

I've noticed it's all western publishers jumping after Epic's money.

Oct 25, 2017
The funniest part about this is nobody even knows the name of the actual developer behind Observation. The money's going straight to the publisher, just like every other deal Epic's making.

Yeah, I noticed that, too. Do they just have better connections with those, are Japanese devs just slow again or what is going on?

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't say I'm surprised, I feel like Devolver's games don't sell that well and it's not a coincidence that they pop up in PS+ or humble bundles. I'll be getting the PS4 version of Observation, I'm glad they're not dropping it.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
First I hear of this game... not even going to bother watching the trailer. If it pops up in the newsfeed on any of the digital storefronts I frequent, I'll see it then.

And they will continue to do so, once Epic doesn't pay them more than they'd make elsewhere. Why aren't you complaining about other games which only release on a single platform?
There's a fundamental problem with that statement. Epic has already paid them off up front, and the only way for them to stop paying "more than elsewhere" is to take their game off their store.

And we as PC gamers want to have none of the console-style platform exclusivity. If a game maker wants to distribute their games themselves, that's their prerogative. Indies and AAA publishers alike can do that freely. But a sub-platform outright buying away games from everywhere else, is unheard of in PC gaming space, and we will not stand for it.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I noticed that, too. Do they just have better connections with those, are Japanese devs just slow again or what is going on?
I could see SE being useless and doing such a deal. But I suspect the others are just happy to build a client base on PC. That is not something that they'll manage to do with the epic store.

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands

I think the name is 'No Code' or something like that. I've yet to play Stories Untold but heard good things about so I recently snapped it up. Would be nice if they see some of the money, but if they're working with Devolver I don't expect them to go broke. I think most indies would love to have the backing of Devolver, Annapurna or the like, no?

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I'd say that I'm never installing their launcher, bur for every one of me, there are 10000 Fortnite players that already have.