• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
i finished quake remastered the other day and

in order to kill shub-niggurath you need to do a thing called telefrag, which means teleporting to her exact location to one shoot her

and i had to google it because at no point in the campaign there's no explanation whatsoever and i found that kinda weird

this one is a funny one, because at the time of Quake's release, telefragging was a known verb of first person shooters. Telefragging is something that you can utilise in Doom's singleplayer on enemies, (and is in fact something that enemies can do to you as well) and you can also do this in Doom's multiplayer. Naturally, it's also an important tactic in Quake multiplayer. So, it's just something the designers kinda expected you to have the literacy of if you were playing Quake.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
RE6 the thread. The tutorial tells you the absolute bare minimum.

When fans had to make their own manual with all the different mechanics and functions that can even impact regular gameplay. You know you fucked up explaining your mechanics.

Wouldn't even be surprised if there was a hidden mechanic somewhere.

Oct 31, 2017
tumblr_ndamdisMTW1rcy80ko3_400.gif

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I wouldn't say it's obscure because much of the game is built and balanced around it, but Bayonetta never really tells you about Dodge Offset (the ability to dodge mid-combo without resetting your combo string).

Also, the Issen system in the Onimusha games. You'll probably learn it exists by doing it by accident, but it's not until Onimusha 3 that the games bother to try to teach you how to do it.
Dodge offset is such a strange omission. I would have never figured that out in my own. if not for the internet I wouldn't know it exists at all.

Apr 3, 2020
not an entirely mechanice, but in many players doesn't realize that some of Bloodborne's weapons have a "follow up" attack after performing a charge attack, and sometimes it have it's own characteristic like knock down enemies.

Edit: found one example, 0:13 of the video

You mean which weapons affective against? I'm pretty sure it's written in the states?

Last edited:

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
not an entirely mechanice, but in many players doesn't realize that some of Bloodborne's weapons have a "follow up" charge attack, and sometimes it have it's own characteristic like knock down enemies.

You mean which weapons affective against? I'm pretty sure it's written in the states?

Nope. Certain weapons have a "holy" affinity, like the untricked cane, which have a bonus against heretical enemies (specifically the monsters in Cainhurst IIRC), and serrated weapons have a bonus against sufficiently bestial foes, but these bonuses aren't visible in the game at all unless you do really specific damage tests.

Anyway, Metal Gear Solid, the whole series, is full of stuff like this. As a couple of examples just from the first game: you can equip Sniper Wolf's handkerchief to get through the wolf caves with them all being totally affectionate (granted this is only for your fourth time traipsing them the area). The item does mention it smells like Wolf, but otherwise doesn't indicate it can make one of the most hostile and dangerous parts of the game totally trivial. Also, when you reach the Blast Furnace, you can use the stinger to destroy the shifting crane mechanism completely (even though, if I recall correctly, this doesn't look like a targetable feature like all other things you use the stinger against) so you don't have to dodge it when hugging the wall over the molten steel.

OP
OP
chiller

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
Mega Man X (and probably X2 and X3) have something like this. The normal mega buster has two charge levels: a level one charge does 2 damage, and the fully charged buster does 3 damage. However, if you fire the buster while dashing, you can create a single uncharged shot that does 2 damage instead of the 1 damage. Only one "dash shot" can exist on the screen at once, and there is no visual difference between a regular shot and a "dash shot".

God bless whoever put these in.
I would love to see the design doc page describing how you can deal a single point of extra damage and why the method is even in the game.

HoboDessert

Jun 24, 2019
Canada
I dont remember if Ys Seven tells you in game about flash guard, but I didn't know about it until someone told me.

It may just be my ignorance
The game effectively doesn't. There's no tutorial and no good way to stumble upon it, and I think there is only an off-hand explanation in the PSP version's manual of its existence, but not how to do it.

The PC port makes its existence known a little better ... but only if you look at the control bindings menu. Its name and its inputs are mentioned and both buttons for it can be changed (including to the same button, making it easier to do). Still no explanation of how to use it, though, beyond the name's vague hints of its function.

Definitely sucks if you plan to play on Nightmare, which de-facto requires flash guard to not die to every boss.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Dark Souls. Just... all of it.

I love that game to death, but I have no earthly idea how people figured it out on their own before alot was known about the game.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
this one is a funny one, because at the time of Quake's release, telefragging was a known verb of first person shooters. Telefragging is something that you can utilise in Doom's singleplayer on enemies, (and is in fact something that enemies can do to you as well) and you can also do this in Doom's multiplayer. Naturally, it's also an important tactic in Quake multiplayer. So, it's just something the designers kinda expected you to have the literacy of if you were playing Quake.
i assumed it was something like that because when i googled it the wikis said it like it was the most obvious thing ever

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Dread did an awful job teaching you that you can spark in morph ball or mid air. They don't mention it when you get the item, though I think it's one of the load screen hints no one reads.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think Diddy Kong Racing ever lets you know that letting go from the gas during the whole duration of the boost will give you a super boost. It's especially shitty of them considering the last WizPig race absolutely cannot be won unless you know of this trick and use it throughout the whole race!

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
In Midnight Club 2, the game tells you that you can gain a boost of speed on a motorcycle either by tucking in or doing a wheelie. What the game doesn't tell you is that wheelies are equivalent to nitrous shots in power, versus the small boost you get from tucking in. Makes using bikes way easier when you can just rapidly gain speed by repeatedly doing wheelies. There's also fishtailing, repeatedly drifting in a straight line to gain absurd speed, although whether that was intentional or a glitch is debatable.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Gen 2 Pokemon introduced a mechanic called Pokerus to the game that's appeared ever since. It's a special status condition that your Pokemon had a 1 in 21,845 chance of obtaining after a battle, lower odds than finding a shiny. The game does acknowledge its existence on the Pokemon's status screen and healing a Pokemon with it at a Pokemon Center causes both Nurse Joy and Professor Elm to make a remark about it. However, they fail to mention that there's an actual benefit to getting infected: Pokemon will gain double the EVs from winning battles for however long they have the condition. This aspect wouldn't be acknowledged until HGSS, but even then you have to call Elm back after his initial explanation to learn this. Since Gen 5, Nurse Joy will now mention that there's a benefit but it's still never quantified in exact terms.

I remembered having one or more of my Pokemon having Pokerus way back in the day with Pokemon Gold. I tried looking it up and I got no answers. I thought I was going crazy trying to find out what's with this bizarre status and there's no one on the internet with an answer. Good times.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I can't remember if co op in Final Fantasy IX is properly explained anywhere so if not then that.

Edit: this was also in FF V and VI but more well known there. So maybe not.

Cutty

Oct 31, 2017
The affection system in Tales of Symphonia and its direct impact on cutscenes and whether you have one party member or another.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Rising "explains" the parrying mechanic, but it does so in probably the most unintuitive way possible.

You're supposed to parry by pressing the attack button and the (camera-relative) direction an enemy attack is coming from right as its about to strike. The game's way of describing this is the following quote: "To parry incoming hits, throw out your own barrage of light attacks while your foe is on the offensive". The description is ridiculously vague and doesn't translate at all to how the parry system works. I imagine a large amount of people had to google how to do it unless they got lucky and were able to learn it through trial and error.
Uhh, when you start a new game, the game asks you if you want to do the tutorial or not, and there's a segment in that tutorial that explains parries properly.

@3:25

louie

Oct 29, 2017
Slow escaping in Dead or Alive. It was a quick way of getting out of stun instead of panicking and mashing a hold (counter animation).

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Telefragging is something that you can utilise in Doom's singleplayer on enemies, (and is in fact something that enemies can do to you as well)
Actually, nope, enemies are blocked from doing this. All except for in Map30 of Doom2/TNT/Plutonia, however except for one very specific instance in TNT they never get a chance to do that either. Of note, the enemy spawning behaviour from the IOS is not a telefrag, though it runs the same stomp function when they spawn (making sure they clear the occupied space from other enemies), which is why that rule exists.

Last edited:

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
You can headshot the flood in halo 2 and 3. Or rather, you can shoot the infection form protruding out of the combat form's chest to instantly kill it...with the caveat that another infection form can reanimate it just as easily. It makes the battle rifle ridiculously effective against flood in H3 since you can just spam center mass and put most forms down.

I couldn't find videos of this, can you link me to some that explain how this works?

Halo 3 has a life bar, they just decided to not show it.

What do you mean? Like CE/Reach lifebar? How does that even work?

Jul 14, 2018
Philadelphia
What do you mean? Like CE/Reach lifebar? How does that even work?
You have 45 unseen "health points" in Halo 3 along with your 70 "shield points" that are on the HUD. It's typically inconsequential, since losing your shields already means your one melee or BR headshot away from death. However, health recharges independently from your shields - I believe shield recharges after 5 seconds of no damage, but health recharges after 10. Health also recharged at a slower rate (9 health/sec as opposed to 40 shield/second). All of this could lead to a situation where you could face someone with the same amount of shield, but one of you still has an unseen health advantage due to being out of combat for longer. This can make a difference in a lot of situations, such as needing less AR rounds to kill than someone with full health.

When Halo 3 came out, its melee system actually had to be reworked because of this. When the game came out, two unshielded players meleeing each other would result in the player with more health getting the kill (i.e. whoever sprayed their AR for a fraction of a second longer). It made melee duels incredibly frustrating because it was essentially RNG to decide who won unless you were actively taking your health regen into account. They updated this shortly after release to where melee duels would just result in both players dying if both melees did enough to kill.

Uhh, when you start a new game, the game asks you if you want to do the tutorial or not, and there's a segment in that tutorial that explains parries properly.
Oh, fuck me I guess.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I love this thread, even with the repated info on the most knowns cases, it's still amazing and quite a bit of stuff I didn't know about, super interesting

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
Actually, nope, enemies are blocked from doing this. All except for in Map30 of Doom2/TNT/Plutonia, however except for one very specific instance in TNT they never get a chance to do that either. Of note, the enemy spawning behaviour from the IOS is not a telefrag, though it runs the same stomp function when they spawn (making sure they clear the occupied space from other enemies), which is why that rule exists.

Ah, my mistake! My memory of it happening in Final Doom made me think it could happen in other places as well. I appreciate the correction and explanation!

wayward_

Oct 29, 2020
Agreed with others that this sums up most of Dark Souls. Vagrants and miracle resonance in the first game especially

Beanyman101

Apr 28, 2020
The mechanics behind levelling up and earning skills is never explained properly in The Last Remnant. Playing the game like a traditional JRPG will have you very very weak and hitting a brick wall of a boss 20 hours in

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2, the thread.

I should say, obscure game mechanics the game introduces once in a pop-over text overlay very early, and you almost never use it until you *need* to use it and then have no fucking clue what the mechanic is.

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
Resident Evil series have DA (difficult adjustment). The better you play, the harder the game get. Speed runners have to find a way around this system all the time (intentionally taking hit, missing the shot, etc.)

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Taunting in W101
The devs did tell you about it but outside the game lol:
www.platinumgames.com

W101 Blog Ep. 25: Tips & Tricks | PlatinumGames Official Blog

Hello everyone, it’s Ichi! The Wonderful 101 has been out in Japan and Europe for a while now and we’ve receiv […]
It's been a minute, but wasn't Dodge Offset not explained in Bayonetta. I can get not teaching taunting in W101 since it's pretty much only for high-end players and the game already has a gigantic learning curve (I didn't even start to understand it until my second playthrough), though leaving it out of any kind of in game controller information is odd, but Dodge Offset is a core aspect of the combat that should have been taught in the open tutorial section

RE6 the thread. The tutorial tells you the absolute bare minimum.

When fans had to make their own manual with all the different mechanics and functions that can even impact regular gameplay. You know you fucked up explaining your mechanics.

Wouldn't even be surprised if there was a hidden mechanic somewhere.
Wasn't the "tutorial" just an awful qte-fest where Leon carries an injured Helena that doesn't teach you anything but "herbs heal?"

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Each Fromsoft game has like at least five big ones and countless smaller ones. Things like power stance/adaptability in DS2, Insight in Bloodborne, and the parry buffer "fatigue" in Sekiro.

BoTW makes you continuously go "wow, I didn't know you could do that" for the entire game, and that's a good thing.

Weapon quick switching is the foundation of Doom Eternal's combat and at launch, there was never a tutorial prompt for it despite explaining literally every other mechanic in that game.

The Marauder would beat that out of you and I had only known about via clips of high level players deleting enemies with it.
I didn't see any explanation for that either when playing through the base game, but I think I saw loading screen tip explaining how you can weapon switch to bypass reload/cooldown animations in the DLC. Maybe they added something in later.