• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

warheat

Oct 28, 2017
Hey era, it's been a while since I last posted here, mod feel free to remove this post if it's in the wrong place.

Okay, so there's this subreddit called /r/tipofmyjoystick, it is a subreddit for finding the name of a game that you can't remember.

There is one particular game, however, that has been asked about on the sub few times, but nobody has ever got the answer.

TL;DR: Watch this for context, skip to 14m 30s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbY1g8arFro#t=14m30s

Reportedly, it's an early 2000's sort-of farming game, somewhat like Harvest Moon. However, it has a dark twist right off the bat, at the beginning of the game, the protagonist killed his wife to death and now, besides living a normal life and tending to your farm, you also have to keep the body and any evidence hidden from the police, who randomly come by to investigate every now and then.

It was first popped up on the subreddit almost 4 years ago

https://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmyjoystick/comments/4h5w1w/this_game_was_kind_of_like_harvest_moon/

No one seems to have any answer so it was suggested that the game didn't exist and OP most likely just imagining things (not the first time it happened)

However almost 3 years after the initial post, another post was made asking a very similar game

https://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmyjoystick/comments/a6wfbm/pc_evil_farming_game/

Again, no luck. And there's another post from early 2019 asking the same game

https://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmyjoy.../avoiding_the_police_after_killing_your_wife/

And still nothing, but recently a somewhat popular Youtube channel called Nexpo made a video about this game, here's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbY1g8arFro#t=14m30s and based on the youtube comments, few peoples seems to remember the game but they can't point out the exact title of the game, some people are positive that the game were coming from German PC Magazine back in the day, and there's one redditor still have all of his collection and he's looking at it one by one right now.

m60e4ma9mkc41.png

If you want to know the latest update on this investigation, follow this link (I suggest watching the video from Nexpo for better context) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbY1g8arFro#t=14m30s
https://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmyjoy...t_farming_game_megathread_users_are_reminded/
https://www.reddit.com/r/ThatEvilFarmingGame/

Also, apologize for bad english

EDIT: killed stabbed his wife to death lol

Last edited:

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
A woman facing a horrible death and it being like "generic-feel-good game BUT with a twist", really makes it sound like a pasta.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah everyone asking about it now is in on it. Like remembering that children's show where the characters killed kids or something but they were watching white noise.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
I'd be certain this was a hoax if it was a console game, but PC gaming had so much genuinely weird, overlooked shit during the 90s and early 2000s that it's not wholly impossible.
Nothing described here sounds any stranger than Darkseed or Harvester.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Was there hyper-realistic blood?

This does sound like something (modded maybe) that you could possibly get on PC in the early 2000s though. Probably not an official game.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a Creepypasta like some are saying exactly, at least in the traditional sense, but it's not a real game either.

I had a really long discussion about this with a few others interested in niche gaming and "Creepy games" before. It's definitely fake with some people wanting to add to the urban legend aspect of it and contribute recalling it as well. I think that's kinda' neat in its own way, but it doesn't actually exist. Or at the very least, it's lost to time as many flash games of the early 2000s were, but even if it was ever real it's grown more from people talking and spreading it over the years.

There's been kinda' a resurgence in popularity about this game, so I won't be surprised if some people decide to make their own take on it though.

Yeah everyone asking about it now is in on it. Like remembering that children's show where the characters killed kids or something but they were watching white noise.
Funnily enough, less than two years ago that was actually turned into a TV show (though it's a horror show ABOUT that TV show).

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
Sounds like a creepypasta
A woman facing a horrible death and it being like "generic-feel-good game BUT with a twist", really makes it sound like a pasta.
Ehhhhhh,

the internet in the early 2000's was filled with edgy "humorous" flash games like this, the original request might have been genuinely serious at the time.
Of course, now that the original post is starting to get spread around. You're more likely to see new descriptions that are actually trolling more than anything else.
  1. It featured real photos of dead bodies!
  2. It was based off an actual murder case!
  3. it was secretly directed by Kotaro Uchikoshi!

Like so.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Of course, now that the original post is starting to get spread around. You're more likely to see new descriptions that are actually trolling more than anything else.

While i dont believe in the game from OP being a real thing, we do have real examples of the two first points in your example (e.g. sad satan, hong kong 97, columbine rpg, jfk reloaded etcetera). And Kotaro Uchikoshi is releasing such stinkers that he'll probably gonna go underground and release under a fake name the next time so everythings possible!

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Kind of an unfired checkovs gun this creepypasta. I mean we don't even end up the story with someone getting arrested before their fake game could be shown to the world.

But thanks for inspiring me to make a game that mixes Stardew with the movie Mothman and Silent Hill. I can imagine how unsettling it would be, having to not hide yourself from an outside force but to manage your surroundings in order to not alert the outside world. The game would be especially good if you felt the presence of the outside's darkness and the comfort of your own place of living... But the player character has subdued their own memories of what they did to the player so the whole game we root for them until the end and we find ourselves guilt ridden with no way out but to finally end our cover up and succumb to the police.

But the police in this particular world won't be so procedural. In this place the police live by "eye for an eye" and the fate of our character is left to our imagination.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The decline of physical media and garage sales has really done a number on the distribution of possessed videogames.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Interesting. My first thought at this point is that it's a slow-building creepypasta. But after the discovery of the Clockman short anything is possible. 🤔

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This isn't a Creepypasta like some are saying exactly, at least in the traditional sense, but it's not a real game either.

I had a really long discussion about this with a few others interested in niche gaming and "Creepy games" before. It's definitely fake with some people wanting to add to the urban legend aspect of it and contribute recalling it as well. I think that's kinda' neat in its own way, but it doesn't actually exist. Or at the very least, it's lost to time as many flash games of the early 2000s was, but even if it was ever real it's grown more from people talking and spreading it over the years.

There's been kinda' a resurgence in popularity about this game, so I won't be surprised if some people decide to make their own take on it though.

Funnily enough, less than two years ago that was actually turned into a TV show (though it's a horror show ABOUT that TV show).
Is there a name to this game? If not, is there a fan name or how do you call it? Evil Farming Game?

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
tbh I think I would play a horror stardew valley game.
have it be relatively safe during the day, but the closer to night it gets to sundown, the stranger things get.
And well, you really should be inside by then.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
Reminds of the mystery surrounding that Petscop thing a while back.

Can't say I'm familiar with anything mentioned in the OP, but as others have said, PC gaming was such a rich source of weird and obscure shit back then, it very well could be something real and not a pasta.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The game sounds like it was based on the Stephen King novel 1922. In 2017 Netflix made a movie out of it. Guy kills his wife to get ownership of the farm and pretends that life carries on as usual.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
have it be relatively safe during the day, but the closer to night it gets to sundown, the stranger things get.

Deadwood?

I know it's not Valley "esque" but yeah, you should be inside by nightime.

Oct 17, 2018
Yeah it is most likely gonna be creepypasta, especially because of how popular these things are becoming with Youtubers like Nexpo and Reignbot constantly making vids on these sort of things.

Definitely wouldn't be surprised if someone tries to make a game based on this and is then like "hey look guys I found it"

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington

Gleaner Heights exists, but I don't know if ithe game is actually good or not but the description says it's Stardew Valley meets Twin Peaks. Tbh, I thought that was the game the OP was talking about until I read the dates were much earlier.

Last edited:

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a flash game on newgrounds. I played a lot of really weird, obscure and strange shit.

master_Willem

Dec 3, 2018
Fishing Hamlet
Oh, i remember the first post on the reddit and it was 2 years ago iirc. And they are still searching it. I hope it wont end up to a some kind of prank involved by a bunch of people.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
In the comments of the YouTube video OP linked they speculate it could've been a demo disc game that never came out. I could easily see that too.

Oh, i remember the first post on the reddit and it was 2 years ago iirc. And they are still searching it. I hope it wont end up to a some kind of prank involved by a bunch of people.

I will say it's an easy way to get an indie game idea you like our there.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
The first post is real, but it's someone's corroded memory playing tricks on them. The other posts are copycats trying to invent a creepypasta.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing the original post is referring to a (non-English?) RPG Maker game or a mod. Everything that follows is almost assuredly poor attempts at creepypasta.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking back on it there were a lot of really disturbing games on those flash game sites. I know there were a few that were basically serial killer simulators though often with a lot more memey crap and inside jokes crammed into them.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I've came across this story a few days ago. Would be really cool if it were real, though I doubt it. It just strikes me as someone adding to the mythology of it every few years.

I gotta say, morally dubious though it may be, a "farming sim" in which you have to go about your daily life while also covering up a crime actually sounds like a really compelling gameplay concept. Don't know what that says about me.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Is this the thing where someone made a game and pretended it was some weird unknown PS1 game or whatever it was?
Reminds of the mystery surrounding that Petscop thing a while back.

Can't say I'm familiar with anything mentioned in the OP, but as others have said, PC gaming was such a rich source of weird and obscure shit back then, it very well could be something real and not a pasta.
No that^^ is that thing.

This is probably a similar thing though.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
The first reddit post is really interesting.
Like other said, it's probably some RPG maker weird ass little game. I think the first reddit post talking about it is legit.

The second post could be legit, but it seems to want to add to the mythos, to create a legend. "It's not a RPGmaker game, it was from a mystic, weird ass, obscure and scary indie game site !"
Right there, it become something mythical, it wants it to be more than just a RPGmaker or flash game, and coming from an obscure and weird website.

The third post is probably even more dubious with all the updates and false hope about the computer about to be repaired, only for all hope to disappear : "nope, it's really dead".

But the very first post is really interesting, and as other has said, it could be a really cool gameplay loop.
There's maybe some kind of mandela effect, but if there is, I would say it's just maybe the OP remembering the game as bigger and more ambitious than what it probably was. Maybe it was just a short, narrative, experience, and not a full on Harvest Moon game with the horror twist.

Anyway, it's probably lost in time since I'm like, 60% confident that it was a very obscure, niche RPG maker game that probably only 100 person played back then, but like other said, it might lead some indie devs to try to create something like that. But very fun and interesting story, based on the first post only.