• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
There was a thread on etcetera less than two weeks ago (maybe around a week ago) concerning budhhist(?) mysticism and a user brought up an article about some sort of device for summoning spirits. Does anyone remember what that thread was, or the name of that object?

(it's also possible such a thread didn't exist and I'm mistaking a memory from a dream for the real thing)

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
It's not the device that scientologist use is it? To measure your thethons or what have you.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it because I don't associate scientology in this memory at all. If it wasn't buddhism, it was some form of hinduism or shintoism.

As stupid as it sounds I think Krejlooc made the thread but I can't go into his profile to check the threads he made to confirm.
I think I remember the thread lol Possibly ouija board related.
But your object is probably here somewhere:
www.britannica.com

Ceremonial object - Rituals, Symbols, Artifacts

Ceremonial object - Rituals, Symbols, Artifacts: In many religions the practice of prayer requires the use of certain objects, among which rosaries (strings of beads) and chaplets (circular strings of beads) occupy an important place in the popular piety. They are widespread in Hinduism...

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Screenshot-20200506-205044-Chrome.jpg

Or

p10542827_v_v8_aa.jpg

OP
OP
Regiruler

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
just stumbled on this, I was apparently looking for the Tulpa

tvtropes.org

Tulpa - TV Tropes

A tulpa, also known as a thoughtform, is an independent entity brought into being by the power of belief. It starts out as an Imaginary Friend and gains sentience of its own, carries on a life independent of its creator and, according to some, …

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
just stumbled on this, I was apparently looking for the Tulpa

tvtropes.org

Tulpa - TV Tropes

A tulpa, also known as a thoughtform, is an independent entity brought into being by the power of belief. It starts out as an Imaginary Friend and gains sentience of its own, carries on a life independent of its creator and, according to some, …
Thats not a device. It's the concept that an idea can come to life. Like say enough people believe in Bigfoot that it actually comes into existence as a spiritual being. It's a strange concept.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna need a followup. You know, for research.
Here you go:

"At this time I decided upon a Magical operation designed to obtain the assistance of an elemental mate. This is a well known procedure in Magick(cf. Ch. VIII in Magick in Theory and Practice), consisting of the invocation of a spirit or elemental into tangible existence by various magical techniques.

I decided upon the use of the Enochian Tablets obtained by Dr. Dee and Edward Kelley, employing the *n*n*n square of the Air Tablet. The technique was approximately as follows:

(January 4, 1946, 9:00 PM)
1. Prepared and consecrated Air Dagger. (The other magical weapons were previously prepared. This dagger served as the special talisman of the operation.)
2. Prepared Enochian Air Tablet on virgin parchment.
3. Prepared Parchment Talisman
4. Rituals as follows:
  • (a) Invoking Pentagram of Air.
  • (b) Invocation of Bornless One.
  • (c) Conjuration of Air.
  • (d) Consecration of Air Dagger.
  • (e) Key Call of third Aire.
  • (f) Invocation of God and King of Aire.
  • (g) Invocation of Six Seniors.
  • (h) Invocation of (RZDA) by *n*n*n and (EXARP), to visible appearance.
  • (i) Invocation of wand with material basis on talisman.
  • (j) Invocation with dagger.
  • (k) License to depart, purification, and banishing.

I followed this procedure for eleven days, from January 4 to 15, with the following entries in my record:

January 5. A strong windstorm beginning suddenly about the middle of the first invocation.
Jan 6. Invoked as before. Wind storm continued intermittently all day and night.
Jan 7. Invoked twice. Wind subsided. Used Prokofief Violin Concerto No. 2 as musical background.
Jan 8. Invoked twice, using blood.
Jan 9. Invoked twice, replenishing material basis.
Jan 10. Invoked twice. I retired about 11 PM, and was awakened at 12 PM by nine strong, rapid knocks. A table lamp at the opposite corner of the room was thrown violently to the floor and broken. There was no window in this corner, and no wind was blowing at the time.

(Note. I have had little experience with phenomena of this sort. Magically speaking, it usually represents "breaks" in the operation, indicating imperfect technique. Actually, in any magical operation there should be no phenomena but the willed result.)

Jan 11. Invoked twice, using blood.
Jan 12. Invoked twice. A heavy windstorm.
Jan 13. Invoked twice. Windstorm continued.
Jan 14. The light system of the house failed about 9 PM. Another magician who had been staying at the house and studying with me, was carrying a candle across the kitchen when he was struck strongly on the right shoulder, and the candle knocked out of his hand. He called us, and we observed a brownish yellow light about seven feet high in the kitchen.

I banished with a magical sword, and it disappeared. His right arm was paralyzed for the rest of the night.

Jan 15. Invoked twice. At this time the Scribe developed some sort of astral vision, describing in detail an old enemy of mine of whom he had never heard, and later the guardian forms of Isis and the Archangel Michael. Later, in my room, I heard the raps again, and a buzzing, metallic voice crying "let me go free." I felt a great pressure and tension in the house that night, which was also noticed by the other occupants. There was no other phenomena, and I admit a feeling of disappointment.

The feeling of tension and unease continued for four days. Then, on January 18, at sunset, while the Scribe and I were on the Mojave desert, the feeling of tension suddenly snapped. I turned to him and said, "it is done," in absolute certainty that the operation was accomplished. I returned home, and found a young woman answering the requirements waiting for me. She is describable as an air of fire type with bronze red hair, fiery and subtle, determined and obstinate, sincere and perverse, with extraordinary personality, talent, and intelligence."

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
See, I know they're trolling, because everything about that spell is air-aligned, but at the end they say they got a fiery redhead? C'mon. If you follow those steps you'll get a dumb blonde, guaranteed.
Hey now, this exact ritual summoned Jack Parsons's future wife, Marjorie Cameron, and she was one cool lady.

Cameron-s-The-Black-Egg.jpg

self-portrait titled "The Black Egg"

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I follow the religion of anime, and I read about this one technique called transmutation from the ancient text Fullmetal Alchemist. Trying to summon a human using the technique is a fool's errand though, considering the laws of equivalent exchange.

I see no good coming of this, OP.