• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I like Oblivion but I think I always ruined it for myself by trying to complete the main quest. Then I'd get burnt out on one of the Oblivion gate missions. Honestly some of the worst level design I've ever experienced, just outright dull from start to finish.

D_Reynholm

Mar 18, 2020
Both Morrowind and Oblivion guild quests at least felt like you earned your place at the end. Skyrim rushes you through, I remember the Companions just choosing me as the leader after what felt like no time at all, same with the Thieves guild (unless you spend time doing the radiant quests).

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually kind of intimidated by Kingdom Come. I played it for a few minutes back when it was on Game Pass and it ran like shit (which I can forgive) and the first fight I got myself into (a fistfight against some dude who owed my dad money or some shit) was obtuse as fuck. Lasted forever, felt like I was doing something wrong even though I was following the tutorial to a tee. Never did finish the eternal fistfight and quit the game entirely.

Should I give it another whirl? This time I'd have to pay for it, so...

I should mention I'm extremely partial to stealthy playstyles. The fantasy rogue is my lifeblood.
I didn't play it myself because everything about this game feels off-putting to me minus the graphics. It was free on the Epic Store once, so you might have it there without knowing?

If you are looking for some green land fantasy, Enderal might fill that void. It's a pretty good Skyrim total conversion.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me that I was working on a modern HD texture pack with full parallax support for imperial forts back in march. It's basically finished, but the problem is that the Sancre Tor dungeon from the main quest uses its own special variant of the tileset which ends up looking completely broken with these new textures, so I have to fix that somehow before I deem it to be in a releasable state.

oblivion2020031514.27erjam.jpg
oblivion2020031617.47xgjcs.jpg
oblivion2020032600.55o0kh9.jpg

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually kind of intimidated by Kingdom Come. I played it for a few minutes back when it was on Game Pass and it ran like shit (which I can forgive) and the first fight I got myself into (a fistfight against some dude who owed my dad money or some shit) was obtuse as fuck. Lasted forever, felt like I was doing something wrong even though I was following the tutorial to a tee. Never did finish the eternal fistfight and quit the game entirely.

I should mention I'm extremely partial to stealthy playstyles. The fantasy rogue is my lifeblood.

fwiw it's probably the most overwhelming game i played that wasn't a hardcore oldschool crpg, RTS, MMO ect

combat was the last straw i just had to put it down

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me that I was working on a modern HD texture pack with full parallax support for imperial forts back in march. It's basically finished, but the problem is that the Sancre Tor dungeon from the main quest uses its own special variant of the tileset which ends up looking completely broken with these new textures, so I have to fix that somehow before I deem it to be in a releasable state.
Looks amazing.

Release it!

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I just like the sort of cold, tundra/Europe and North America-in-the-fall look that Skyrim has more than Oblivion's verdant green countryside, though both charm me more than the ugly, alien landscapes of Morrowind. I mean, they're all great in their own way, and I loved them in their time, but with a good distance from any new ES game at this point, I still feel like Skyrim's environment works best for me.

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My Mum used to watch me play this game. I remember the first time I played this on PC it was in my older brother's room, he had some floral scent air wick in his room. It added to the experience lol. Every time I smell something flowery I usually think of Oblivion.

I know most bash it as generic setting, but it was so fun for me to explore. Quests were great too, like that one when you had to enter a painting and return the brush from a troll.

Yeah that was a great one, very unique. I liked the one where you go to sleep on a ship and it gets hijacked.

Also there was some guy you can bump into randomly, like a pilgrim, who was trying to pray at all the alters. I think it was part of the Knights of the Nine dlc. That was so cool.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
dont know if i agree
as a game, i like oblivion better than skyrim (i dont really like skyrim) but if theres one thing the setting is, is comfy

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
You can use Sinitar's guide to get started

Oblivion Ultimate Modding Guide 3.0 - Gameplay and Immersion

Sinitar Gaming - making games great again

There's a newer gameplay overhaul mod called Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul. It's perfectly compatible with Oscuro's though (which is still worth installing for all the extra quests and other content) and many other mods due to its very dynamic and hassle-free implementation.

To this day I still recommend a FCOM setup for Oblivion, which last time I remember incorporated both Maskars and Obscuro's mods into one massive overhaul.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Skyrim is stronger game, but I agree I enjoy walking around the wilderness more in Oblivion.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Both Morrowind and Oblivion guild quests at least felt like you earned your place at the end. Skyrim rushes you through, I remember the Companions just choosing me as the leader after what felt like no time at all, same with the Thieves guild (unless you spend time doing the radiant quests).

I think the big reason why Skyrim's lore and quests weren't strong in this regard was because Ken Rolston was no longer involved. He was one of the creative leads behind both Morrowind and Oblivion, and he left Bethesda shortly after Oblivion came out.

Unsurprising that is another reason why I found the world for Kingdoms of Amalur comparable in that regard because Ken Rolston was the Lead Designer.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Nah. Oblivion has always felt like a chore to play, the writing and voice acting never came across as campy to me. Just bad. And Skyrim's setting is far nicer to explore and just look at.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
I have never played Oblivion but always wanted to. I played some of Skyrim but not a ton before getting sucked into other games/life. But this sounds like a Fallout 3/4 situation. I'm playing 4 right now and it's fine but I recall the world, people, towns and quests of FO3 being so much more interesting. Maybe I was just younger and more easily impressed 10 years ago.

I have been thinking about getting a Series S as I had a decent 360 library and really liked that console (my only Xbox). If I get one, then Oblivion would be fun to dive into.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Whodunit is better than any quest in Skyrim alone.

I'm unsure if it's nostalgia or what but I do enjoy playing Oblivion more than Skyrim, I kind of chalked it up to just not being a fan of Skyrim when it came out and I wasn't enjoying it as much and dropped it pretty quickly.

I've been playing it a lot recently on PC now with mods and really enjoying myself though, I still prefer Oblivion, Skyrim is drab.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017

I will say it's the closest another dev has come to making a Bethesda-esque open world.

Combat definitely has a steep learning curve but once you get the hang of it it's much more satisfying than combat in Elder Scrolls.

But even with max stats you're still not able to take on more than one enemy at a time. The game is kinda brutal in some instances because of this.

Though it never gets easy, if you can make it past the intro the game really opens up and is pretty fun to play.

Also the stealth and lock picking mechanics are fun, to me at least. But you're not gonna be able to stealth your way through some of the main story missions. Luckily though you can max out all your characters stats so you don't have to worry about having an unplayable build.

Jun 5, 2018
I would say this is true, having played both frequently oblivion is (no pun intended) a warmer game, Skyrim's quests feel rushed even if the radiant quests do add a little life to the world there's no central pillars to hold it up, the companions and collage of Winterhold quests in particular always leave a bad taste in my mouth for how they progress so quickly, in the collage you go on a tour learn a Defense spell which takes 2 seconds and then end up on a field trip which ends up leading to more dungeons and becoming the arch mage,

If it's for learning at least teach the player some decent lessons or something.

Oblivion's music is also warmer, without that music I doubt I would be as much a fan of the series, I didn't take to oblivion until
I was in the middle of nowhere at night with my green candlelight spell and heard a certain track play, the fact the composer Is likely a real creep definitely sours it now though.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Oblivion sure was ugly and janky, but I enjoyed the quests. It kept my attention for longer than Skyrim.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
To this day I still recommend a FCOM setup for Oblivion, which last time I remember incorporated both Maskars and Obscuro's mods into one massive overhaul.

FCOM long predates Maskar. AFAIK it's utterly decrepit at this point. What it did was try and integrate all the major conflicting overhauls at the time like Martigen's Monster Mod and Warcry which was around the late 00s and early 10s. Maskar's overhaul came out years after that and basically does the same thing as most of these other overhauls that haven't seen updates in forever. Maskar and Oscuro's are basically all you should need as they cover the same ground, are easy to install and it's infinitely more stable than FCOM which even when properly installed (which is an ordeal in itself) is basically held together with duct tape and bubblegum.

There's also been a few new mods covering combat released this year which I don't think are covered by Sinitar's guide yet. I tried Dynamic Oblivion Combat this year which is pretty good and much easier to handle and install than the older combat overhauls, since its implementation works much the same way as Maskar's overhaul using unintrusive dynamic script injections.

www.nexusmods.com

Dynamic Oblivion Combat

This mod improves the game's melee combat system while maintaining the overall balance and feel of Oblivion combat. It gives combat more dynamism, variety, and depth by adding features to both the pl

I also saw another one called Melee Combat Additions which I haven't tried yet.

www.nexusmods.com

Combat Additions

Highly configurable combat overhaul inspired by Skyrim combat mods and other action games. The majority of features can also be used separately. Frequently updated with new features. Includes Gamepad

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
If we are talking comfy, nothing beats Morrowind. The cities had so much character and flair, going from a dust storm or rainy night into the town and a house felt so good. The sense of scale and exploration without free for all teleport to all locations was so much better.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that I agree. I personally love winter; it's my favorite season. And I love how there are bonfires everywhere in Skyrim, including in houses. My favorite city was Winterhold, and it felt cozy as fuck.

I haven't played with the unique landscape mod of Oblivion, so I can't speak to it. But when comparing the vanilla games, I much prefer Skyrim overall, and it's cozier to me.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
I'm happy with Oblivion being a fondly remembered game and leaving it at that. It was a watershed moment playing on the Xbox 360 for me since I hadn't played Morrowind, and there wasn't anything else quite like it in the console space. The masterful worldbuilding and "comfy" storybook fantasy setting made it worth spending many dozens of hours within. But I can't think of any good reason to revisit it short of a total remake.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Nah I disagree. The snowy mountains and warm villages in Skyrim are way cozier than Oblivion. Better music in Skyrim too.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Morrowind. I like when Elder Scrolls gets weird af. Both Oblivion and Skyrim take way too much from your standard high-fantasy tropes. Its fine. They are well made games and I had fun playing them but Morrowind is just amazing even still. Both in the creatures you find in the world and how weird and alien the topography is.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
I'd rather play Skyrim, but Oblivion def had the better memes

youtu.be

Jauffre Calls Jewelry Stores for the Amulet of Kings - Oblivion Prank Call

Shortly after the death of Uriel Septim and the Amulet of Kings goes missing, Jauffre contacts various jewelry and pawn stores to see if they managed to gain...

I like Skyrim and think people are too hard on it through some kind of weird anti-nostalgia. This is completely true, however. Skyrim memes are fucking garbage.

Oblivion memes: "Have you heard of the high elves?"

Skyrim memes: "LOL I murdered the black guy!"

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
The biggest thing Skyrim had over Oblivion were the hundreds of unique underground locations. Oblivion only had a small number that were reused often. Otherwise I agree with OP.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
I never understood why Skyrim became such a cultural phenomenon when Oblivion offered basically the same open world gameplay experience 5 years prior on the same console.

To answer OP, 100% yes. As someone who lives in the north Skyrim's setting is very boring. Oblivion felt more exotic to me since I got to experience a season that only exists for 2 months of the year IRL.

I also vastly preferred Oblivion's menu system over Skyrim's iTunes inspired UI.

Last edited:

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, Oblivion is probably comfier than Skyrim. And Morrowind is too old in it's gameplay to really be enjoyed nowadays.

But of the 3, Morrowind is still the CLEAR better game. No matter what. And given Bethesda's track record, it will stay that way for a long, looooong time. I have absolutely no hope for Elder Scroll VI.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
Oof no, Oblivion was such a letdown on so many forms, especially after Morrowind. The only good thing about it was the guilds. Setting was the epitome of dull.
I mean just the Oblivion gate copy paste dungeons make this game iredeemable in my eyes.
Skyrim is better in most regards than Oblivion.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Skyrim might've felt more "modern," but it was also super gloomy. I didn't love Oblivion, mostly because I was dead set on finishing the main quest only and I HATED doing those dumb gates, but it was definitely a more inviting world. Really hope it shows up on Game Pass eventually, because I'd love to jump back in and ignore the main quest.

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, Skyrim might've felt more "modern," but it was also super gloomy. I didn't love Oblivion, mostly because I was dead set on finishing the main quest only and I HATED doing those dumb gates, but it was definitely a more inviting world. Really hope it shows up on Game Pass eventually, because I'd love to jump back in and ignore the main quest.
If I were to do a limited run play through of Oblivion, I'd do the Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, and all of the Daedric quests.

Flannel_and_Assam

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 21, 2020
United Kingdom
I like both Oblivion and Skyrim, but I definitely have a soft spot for the former. The Imperial City was a great focal point right in the middle of the map - looking down from the Jerall Mountains at the White-Gold Tower is a gaming memory I will treasure.

My favourite Oblivion NPC meme has to be this one:

She even sounds like an NPC.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
As someone that loves the snow and mountains and winter, I actually preferred Skyrim, but I can definitely see how others wouldn't. Gameplay wise they're both meh, so whatever.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed both, but tbh, Oblivion stun me visualy more than Skyrim did. Skyrim still the better game for me.

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London
Oblivion was my first Elder Scrolls game and so I have a special fondness for it. But I also think it did a great job in creating a varied world and a deeper RPG experience to dig into. It also has this music that is mysterious and evocative of another realm. The only reason I don't replay it is because there are so many Oblivion gates and they becomes repetitive.

Trode

Mar 27, 2018
Oblivion is the worst of the three modern elder scrolls games but I don't care because it was my first one. I can connect with its bloom filled forests and potato faced characters voiced by the same five voice actors in a way I never could with Skyrim. When I was 12, Oblivion was like a dream come true- a high fantasy world with knights and castles that I could be a part of. When I was a kid I used to love those illustrated medieval picture books and Oblivion was like them but simulated. Looking back on it, Cyrodiil as a setting is completely incoherent and nonsensical when compared to Vvardenfell and Skyrim, it doesn't even make sense in a medieval context (Morrowind is better surprisingly), but its imposing gothic churches and winding paved lanes flanked by half-timber houses and the overall high middle ages vibe have not been replicated by any other AAA game or rpg. Half the reason I became a Medievalist is because of this game so it will always have a special place for me, even if it is kind of the worst modern elder scrolls.