• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 4, 2018
Some people criticise Cyrodill for being generic

You people are wrong

The camp voice acting, the constant stumbling into interesting and engaging quests, the sense of humour, none of that is really present in Skyrim but is the entire core of Oblivion

God I love Oblivion

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I agree. I've bought Skyrim around 5 times on different consoles but it has never captured me the way Oblivion did. I spent hundreds of hours in that game and not 1 of it was closing oblivion gates. Good times.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with that!

I prefer Skyrim as a *videogame* but Cyrodil is definitely comfier. Skyrim is harsh.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
I feel what oblivion did well was that it was basically a series of walking simulators set in an open world. The quests were fun to binge through almost like a TV show. However, this came at the cost of almost everything that made morrowind so good.

Exploration was rendered almost meaningless outside of finding quests. A lot of gameplay features were cut, and the leveling was done very very badly. It has also aged much worse than morrowind.

Shivering isle does go a long way to fix what's wrong with it gameplay wise, without sacrificing the story richness of the quests.

Skyrim was a lot more like morrowind but had much better accessibility than morrowind.

Sep 29, 2020
Oblivion with unique landscapes mod is just much nicer to explore than the tundra filled Skyrim. Stepping out from the dungeon to a lush forest was just such a next gen moment for me too.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I feel what oblivion did well was that it was basically a series of walking simulators set in an open world. The quests were fun to binge through almost like a TV show. However, this came at the cost of almost everything that made morrowind so good.

Exploration was rendered almost meaningless outside of finding quests. A lot of gameplay features were cut, and the leveling was done very very badly. It has also aged much worse than morrowind.

Skyrim was a lot more like morrowind but had much better accessibility than morrowind.

The leveling systems for both Morrowind and Oblivion were the same in that you needed to raise a certain amount of skills and rest to level up. Now if you are talking about enemy scaling that is a different matter entirely.

Also outside of specific spells such as levitate, I don't know what other gameplay features were missing.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Back then, Bethesda at least bothered to give the towns and settlements an individual touch. In Skyrim 4 out of 9 major 'cities' share the same assets looking like run-down Bravil in Oblivion.

Also, the guild quests were much more fun, engaging, and gave a sense of progression.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
I absolutely adore Oblivion and vastly prefer it to Skyrim. I don't think either games are particularly good at being RPGs, but (and Oblivion in particular) they create really compelling worlds that are fun to visit. Oblivion also definitely has the better side quest writing, imo.

I think what makes it truly great is the music, which I used to listen to loads when working - really magical stuff. Real shame about all the stuff that came out about Jeremy Soule, can't really enjoy the music the same way anymore.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The book/scroll UI feels comfier too.

Doing flips was pretty cool as well.

Last edited:

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
The leveling systems for both Morrowind and Oblivion were the same in that you needed to raise a certain amount of skills and rest to level up. Now if you are talking about enemy scaling that is a different matter entirely.

Also outside of specific spells such as levitate, I don't know what other gameplay features were missing.

Not just enemy scaling but loot scaling. This has often been called "leveling". In oblivion, where loot is placed is unaffected by where you are, just what level your at. In morrowind the best loot in the game did not scale with your level and was carefully placed in special dungeons for the player to find through exploration. All of this was missing from oblivion, loot just scales with your level and is the same everywhere. There was a mod called "myths and legends" for oblivion that added this element back in quite well.

Loosing levitate is sort of a big deal in itself. You also loose active enchantments, and the ability to passively enchant weapons. Polearms were also removed, though I have no idea why.

Dialog is massively oversimplified, before you could ask people questions about game or area lore.

Armour is split into less pieces giving you less control over mixing and matching, you also can't wear clothes under or over your armour. It might not seem like a big deal but hunting for a full suit of daedric armour or a suit made of lots of different pieces of legendary armour was a big part of the fun in exploring morrowind in the late game.

Oct 25, 2017
Oblivion's quests are miles and miles ahead of Skyrim's

There's a quest where you get a staff and now 3 ugly goblins are following you around and you have to figure out how to get rid off the staff now
There's a quest where you make burning dogs rain down on a village
There's a quest where you go into an empty village and realize that everybody has been turned invisible
Everybody knows the painting quest and the Dark Brotherhood

I don't really remember a single side quest in Skyrim even tho I played that game much longer

Oct 31, 2017
On that note, are there any good modding guides someone could recommend for Oblivion? It's been years since I've played it, and i can't remembe what I used to use beyond Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul to get rid of the shitty shitty levelling (random bandits with glass armour can piss right off)

Last edited:

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
The aggressive scaling and levelling system in Oblivion is a real shame as it has lots of great quests and the world is great too. I was really let down by Skyrim, the world felt pretty uniform and the quests were rubbish.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
On that note, are there any good modding guides someone could recommend for Oblivion? It's been years since I've played it, and i can't remembe what I used to use beyond Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul to get rid of the shitty shitty levelling (random bandits with glass armour can piss right off)

You can use Sinitar's guide to get started

Oblivion Ultimate Modding Guide 3.0 - Gameplay and Immersion

Sinitar Gaming - making games great again

There's a newer gameplay overhaul mod called Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul. It's perfectly compatible with Oscuro's though (which is still worth installing for all the extra quests and other content) and many other mods due to its very dynamic and hassle-free implementation.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Skyrim's thieves and assassins guild quests were a real let down compared to Oblivions. Really all the guild quests were much more memorable in Oblivion.

Like others have said I don't really remember any of Skyrims quests.

USIGSJ

Oct 26, 2017
I know most bash it as generic setting, but it was so fun for me to explore. Quests were great too, like that one when you had to enter a painting and return the brush from a troll.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Skyrim's thieves and assassins guild quests were a real let down compared to Oblivions. Really all the guild quests were much more memorable in Oblivion.

Like others have said I don't really remember any of Skyrims quests.

Skyrim was the first TES to release without any delays and there was a steep price to pay for that. All of the questlines ended up incredibly half baked.

Apr 9, 2019
Oblivion was boring on the outside but surprises in the quest department with well written and memorable writing. Skyrim has a great feeling world but it's quests consistently fizzle out. Morrowind has fantastic world and good writing but has aged poorly from a gameplay standpoint.

Shivering Isles is the sweet spot as far as TES goes!

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Oblivion is probably my least favorite Elder Scrolls game (yes, including Arena and Daggerfall, both of which I love) mostly because it just feels like an awkward half step between the depth of Morrowind and the (relative) polish of Skyrim

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
1000% agree. I'd go back to Oblivion over Skyrim any day of the week. It's gaming comfort food for me.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Oblivion is definitely my favorite TES. I wish it got a remaster with full native gamepad support (like the 360 version had). I only play PC games with Xbox controllers these days and it's the main reason I haven't revisited Oblivion in a pretty long time.

Cyrodill is the best setting. High Fantasy Woodlands > Everything else.
Funny, I tweeted this exact same sentiment a couple days ago while playing AC Valhalla. The landscapes in that game are breathtaking and made me realize how much I loved games like Pillars and Oblivion because of the green fantasy landscapes.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I'll fight anyone who says Topal Bay isn't one of the most coziest places ever at sunset. It's God damn gorgeous.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Oblivion is probably my least favorite Elder Scrolls game (yes, including Arena and Daggerfall, both of which I love) mostly because it just feels like an awkward half step between the depth of Morrowind and the (relative) polish of Skyrim

playing morrowind and oblivion back to back it's kind of astonishing how much worse oblivion aged (respective to their gens)

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely fucking love Skyrim, and think it plays far better than oblivion.....but yes, oblivion (which I still love) has a far better world to me. Great cities, great quests, and I love the atmosphere of the towering forests.

why not a remaster, Bethesda 😬

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Funny, I tweeted this exact same sentiment a couple days ago while playing AC Valhalla. The landscapes in that game are breathtaking and made me realize how much I loved games like Pillars and Oblivion because of the green fantasy landscapes.
I'd wish Kingdom Come had monsters and dragons :-\

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I'd love to revisit a heavily modded Oblivion, but every time I've followed a mod guide, it always goes horribly wrong. Why aren't one click mod packs more of a thing? D:

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I'd wish Kingdom Come had monsters and dragons :-\
I'm actually kind of intimidated by Kingdom Come. I played it for a few minutes back when it was on Game Pass and it ran like shit (which I can forgive) and the first fight I got myself into (a fistfight against some dude who owed my dad money or some shit) was obtuse as fuck. Lasted forever, felt like I was doing something wrong even though I was following the tutorial to a tee. Never did finish the eternal fistfight and quit the game entirely.

Should I give it another whirl? This time I'd have to pay for it, so...

I should mention I'm extremely partial to stealthy playstyles. The fantasy rogue is my lifeblood.

shnitzel

Dec 3, 2017
Man, i really want't to replay Oblivion with some mods, but every time i try, even the "easiest and essiantial mods to install list" something breaks. My last try was like a week ago. So is it playable today without mods on PC? I bought the GOG & Steam version.