• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I think one of episode dedicated to an entire flashback of Hayden and Obi-Wan during the clone wars would have been awesome. It's too bad this was only 6 episodes. 8 would have been better

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
This version of Vader definitely matches up with the PT depiction of Anakin. He's bloodthirsty, impetuous and explosive. The guy who lost his mind and murdered a room full of children on a whim is definitely the same guy in the suit on this show. Totally unhinged.

It doesn't match up at all with the OT's depiction of a stoic, eloquent Vader and never will but they have at least bothered to change Vader's character to fit what George wrote in the PT.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
….that's a super yikes response to my post dude

No, what is "yikes" is thinking that a character, especially a women, can only be seen as strong so long as they are holding a gun. If that's the only way you can show Beru as strong then you're a shit writer.

But hey, this is also the series that needed to show Obi-Wan whoop Vader again in another "epic" physical duel. Because we'll be damned if Kenobi evolves past lightsabers and finds some other way to best his former apprentice.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This version of Vader definitely matches up with the PT depiction of Anakin. He's bloodthirsty, impetuous and explosive. The guy who lost his mind and murdered a room full of children on a whim is definitely the same guy in the suit on this show. Totally unhinged.

It doesn't match up at all with the OT's depiction of a stoic, eloquent Vader and never will but they have at least bothered to change Vader's character to fit what George wrote in the PT.
I think a lot of people forget that within his first five minutes of screen time Vader was screaming, yelling at his men, and choked a guy to death with his bare hands. Dudes always been super unhinged

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
No, what is "yikes" is thinking that a character, especially a women, can only be seen as strong so long as they are holding a gun. If that's the only way you can show Beru as strong then you're a shit writer.
My brother in christ wtf are you talking about. What is this tangent??? Literally no one said that. Or even implied it.
But hey, this is also the series that needed to show Obi-Wan whoop Vader again in another "epic" physical duel. Because we'll be damned if Kenobi evolves past lightsabers and finds some other way to best his former apprentice.
He beat him by walking away.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017

No don't you get it? Star Wars always had shit writing so its ok for this show to have shit writing too.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's incredible. The way the voices keep swapping, one of my favorite star wars scenes ever. I need more Hayden in star wars, his return was my favorite part of this series.
I think once a few of the other shows release like Andor, Ashoka, and Mando 3 we will hear about a Vader series directly following the events of Obi-wan. Hayden did well and a lot of the Vader centric moments are the best in Obi for sure.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
My brother in christ wtf are you talking about. What is this tangent??? Literally no one said that. Or even implied it.

He beat him by walking away.

Ah, I must've missed the part where Obi-Wan beat Vader by just walking away and not launching a shit ton of rocks at him and then chopping his suits to bits with his lightsaber. I mean, that was such a non-violent confrontation. I mean, it's not like we've seen a Jedi win without using violence.

483b40f3cf7926ac5f2eb2f0b7798a2fe67918f6.gifv

No don't you get it? Star Wars always had shit writing so its ok for this show to have shit writing too.

It's like poetry.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017

I actually liked that reveal, because it implied that Beru had a past as a gangster or something, and I kind of headcanoned her backstory as being that she was a hardcore raider or whatever until she wanted to walk away from her life and settle down with a good man. If anything, it made me wish that we actually did have an episode that just focused on Owen and Beru, maybe Beru teaching Luke how to shoot and all.

But yeah, I doubt that they meant to imply anything with beru's battle readiness, they were just making an action scene.

Ah, I must've missed the part where Obi-Wan beat Vader by just walking away and not launching a shit ton of rocks at him and then chopping his suits to bits with his lightsaber. I mean, that was such a non-violent confrontation. I mean, it's not like we've seen a Jedi win without using violence.

Given their set up from the last episode, I'm not sure how they could have climaxed the series without a fight. I don't disagree with you, but unless you go back and set up other things to pay off with a non-violent or more intelligent confrontation, it's hard not to feel that this was the only way things could have gone, if only because everything is set up around Obiwan returning to his PT status.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

if all you can get from the scene is that "women strong with a gun" you are shit viewer.

it was the fact that she was ready for this
it was the fact that she didnt wanted to run
it was the fact that she didnt wanted to involved other people that had nothing to do with it
it was the fact that she was up to give up her life for defending Luke and he is not even related to her nor Owen

the whole thing shows you so much about Beru, and all you can get from it was " woman with a gun"

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars fans are never happy

> Finn: *isn't a Jedi*
> Fans: "Finn should be a Jedi wtf is this shit"
> Obi-Wan: *does Jedi shit*
> Fans: "Ugh this shit again? Obi-Wan should evolve past that"

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Given their set up from the last episode, I'm not sure how they could have climaxed the series without a fight. I don't disagree with you, but unless you go back and set up other things to pay off with a non-violent or more intelligent confrontation, it's hard not to feel that this was the only way things could have gone, if only because everything is set up around Obiwan returning to his PT status.

I mean, it's the problem with how the entire series is written. I always figured that Obi-Wan faked his death and that's why Vader stopped looking for him and everyone assumed he was dead. I kept thinking any series would end with Vader coming for him and Kenobi realizing that confronting him wasn't the answer and instead pulling off a great ploy to fake his death and draw any attention away from Tatooine. Everyone would think Kenobi was dead, but since there is no body only Vader would have some small lingering doubt. But nothing he could actively pursue. Thus, everyone is kinda forced to just let it go and Obi-Wan gets to go back to being a hermit and watching over Luke.

But the series is written in the most blunt and base-level fashion as possible from start to finish that of course Obi-Wan can only be shown to have evolved by returning to prequel power levels and whopping Darth one more time.

if all you can get from the scene is that "women strong with a gun" you are shit viewer.

it was the fact that she was ready for this
it was the fact that she didnt wanted to run
it was the fact that she didnt wanted to involved other people that had nothing to do with it
it was the fact that she was up to give up her life for defending Luke and he is not even related to her nor Owen

the whole thing shows you so much about Beru, and all you can get from it was " woman with a gun"

Cool, cool.

You realize this was the only scene Beru had? I would think she thinks of Luke as her son given that they have been raising him since birth. And I'd also think they'd be ready since, I dunno, Obi-Wan literally said they'd all be killed if the truth got out.

Hey, since this is a character we rarely see anything about maybe don't shove a gun in her hand and call it characterization. You know what would be cool? How about some one on one time with Luke where perhaps she instills some values into him. You know, to explain why Luke is such a good person and different than Anakin. Why can't we just have a scene with the family harvesting crops with Luke, teaching him about farming and whatnot? I don't know maybe, just maybe, it might be cool to see why having good parents is a strength in itself and important.

Or we could just show that your parents are super cool cause they stash weapons around the house and are ready to kill for you. Yeah, that's a strong parent. Fuck that parenting shit. Violence is the best love.

Last edited:

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, if it were up to me, I would definitely have Rey and Finn occupy different sphere's of Jedi duties.

Rey is always a fighter and she has a personal connection to Kylo Ren, so she's favor the combat parts of it. Meanwhile, if we were going to go with the "Finn frees the stormtroopers" storyline, then I'd place most of his abilities in leadership, charisma, and persuasion. It's not an absolutist thing, Rey would still help with the non-combat stuff and Finn would get a lightsaber and have action scenes, but it would make sense if we're following the arcs set up by the previous movie that Rey would be focused on resolving personal drama, while Finn would be oriented towards a more social type of justice since his arc of the last movie was about learning to care about the freedom and rebellion of everyone, not just those in his personal circle.

(side note but I think one really lost conflict in the ST is that you'd think Rey and Finn would have different feelings regarding Kylo Ren's fate. To Rey, he was clearly a very troubled person, but she saw his humanity underneath. Even if he were to never recover to the lightside or whatever, she'd see him as a guy who lost his way. Finn, on the other hand, only knows him a murderer and torturer, the boss he had to follow when he was ordered to slaughter villagers. I imagine he would only want to see him punished or dead and not feel sorry for him in the least. They could have had a talk about that, if Episode 9 had any idea wtf it was doing)

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like you missed the bit where Obiwan's choreography slowly shifted to Anakin's fighting style throughout the entire fight. Before landing a devastating blow that makes him take a step back and realize what's happening. And yes Luke is indeed a better Jedi for not harming Kylo.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like you missed the bit where Obiwan's choreography slowly shifted to Anakin's fighting style throughout the entire fight. Before landing a devastating blow that makes him take a step back and realize what's happening. And yes Luke is indeed a better Jedi for not harming Kylo.

I mean, shit where would Luke learn that shit from? Certainly not murder Ben whose always ready to go out swinging...

obi-wan-kenobi-death.gif

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I never realized that Vader probably had that same evil smile on all the time in the OT, we just couldn't see it behind the mask

"I find your lack of faith disturbing 😈"
apPl8v8.gif

"Apologies accepted, Captain Needa 😈"
apPl8v8.gif

"No. I am your father 😈"
apPl8v8.gif
I'm not sure it works for "I am your father" (I think he's being sincere there), but imagining that sinister grin makes his snarky lines so much better.

"Perhaps you feel you're being treated unfairly?"

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
after this show led to extremely low expectations, I actually enjoyed the finale

I liked the vader fight, some of the dialogue and visuals were very good and that was the most important scene in this show

apart from that, the usual dumb stuff for this show

- how the freighter evaded the star destroyer shots, just silly, like from spaceballs, remember the tantive IV intro in episode 4?
- did the freighter really jump into hyper space 10 seconds after obi wan launched his transporter? I thought they had not enough time? so obi wan did not sacrifice himself for them, but just wanted to face vader? and then does not kill him because? no, that did not work.
- revas motivations continue to be chaotic, which is a shame because her character had a very interesting premise with a very cool twist, but the execution failed at every single step
- and that fight against owen and beru, ugh. the worst fan fiction fears coming true

- I did like the fan service with Neeson and McDiarmid, Sheev will always place a smile on my face no matter what
- I really liked Obi Wan calling Vader "Darth", it did not make sense of course but it was a nice attempt to fix the retcon in episode 5, that kinda worked

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If there was a remake of ANH Obi would still let himself be killed but the scene could be improved. Obviously said remake would require some more insight into why Obi is ready to just let himself be killed at that point and how this is more useful than not dying.

How long before Disney multiverses Star Wars…

Oct 25, 2017
Not every Star Wars fans or viewer is living an internet-culture based lifestyle. There is stuff that I would groan over as annoying memetic fan-service, but that same material could also be completely benign and normal to someone else who has only seen the movies once or twice. Hell, my father was the one who texted me asking if I recognized the toy Obi-Wan was trying to give Luke, I had no idea it was in original movie.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017

Seriously. It's so damn tiring seeing the same posters complaining in every Star Wars thread. The amount of passion and vitriol is frankly embarrassing.

Hattoto

Jun 26, 2020
It's incredible. The way the voices keep swapping, one of my favorite star wars scenes ever. I need more Hayden in star wars, his return was my favorite part of this series.

Yup, echoing this sentiment. I liked how the blue light on Vader's face could be interpreted as some good part of Anakin still speaking out at that moment. It really felt like the Ashoka scene in Rebels but this version seems all the more better with Hayden's performance.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017

This is why the poll thread was so nice. People did actually enjoy it, they just largely didn't bother trying to argue the toss about it.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, echoing this sentiment. I liked how the blue light on Vader's face could be interpreted as some good part of Anakin still speaking out at that moment. It really felt like the Ashoka scene in Rebels but this version seems all the more better with Hayden's performance.

I wouldn't say *better* Matt Lanter is just as much Anakin as Hayden is at this point, but I did love the similarities between the 2 scenes and how they each handled it.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about it, I do loathe that they had two people survive lightsaber strikes to the stomach. And one of them has now done it twice!

And I still maintain 2 hour movie would have served this story better. No need for a shitty b plot and it could have a had a proper budget.

Still loved the Obi Wan/Vader stuff, though.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Um, the problem is the definition of *Jedi shit*

We've already seen super good at violence Jedi Obi-Wan, maybe it's time to show a wiser one that is able to get through a situation without whipping out his lightsaber. I don't expect a first time Force User to astral project themselves across the galaxy to trick their foe into wasting time so that their friends can escape. I do expect a Jedi Master to think of a way to resolve a matter that doesn't involve swinging a lightsaber at someone's head.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

You can't possibly be serious with this? First, you don't know if the people complaining about Finn are the same complaining about Obi-Wan. And second, they are two entirely separate complaints that happened for very different reasons.

"Finn should have been a Jedi" is mostly because of the bait-and-switch marketing that tried to show a black Jedi in a lead role for the first time, and the disappointment that followed when it wasn't the case (and that he ended up being terribly sidelined in general in addition to not being a Jedi). This was largely about black representation.

None of this has anything to do with whatever you or anyone else think should have been done with Obi-Wan. Come on.

Second season will be about Luke, im sure
Wouldn't surprise me that they're so creatively bankrtupt that they'll get involved with kidnapping hijinks with Luke this time.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Half-mask Vader sums it up for me: it was a great moment... but did it really need Obi-wan doing a ninja diving slash to get there? It felt like something out of that godawful fan remake of their ANH duel.

Good ideas, some strong individual moments, but some really sloppy execution.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Um, the problem is the definition of *Jedi shit*

We've already seen super good at violence Jedi Obi-Wan, maybe it's time to show a wiser one that is able to get through a situation without whipping out his lightsaber. I don't expect a first time Force User to astral project themselves across the galaxy to trick their foe into wasting time so that their friends can escape. I do expect a Jedi Master to think of a way to resolve a matter that doesn't involve swinging a lightsaber at someone's head.

That's what Maul vs Obi-Wan is for. That shows how far he's come.

Now we could do with more of that in live action, but let's not act like we haven't seen a wise Kenobi.

Furthermore Kenobi isn't Luke, sometimes one has to act in a decisively violent manner to end things.

Kenobi has gone on a spiritual and emotional journey during this show, however he STILL has a ways to go. I think it fits where he is currently at in his story.

Maybe if they actually gave enough episodes without worrying about more seasons, and actually gave more time to characters' growth/changes, some of the previous elements we both have mentioned could've been shown more smoothly.

Last edited:

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Like, it can be frustrating debating with folks when their response is just:

"It's that way, because it is that way."

Yeah, but what if it wasn't? That's the whole point of critique. It didn't HAVE to be that way. It didn't HAVE to be shit.

You can't possibly be serious with this? First, you don't know if the people complaining about Finn are the same complaining about Obi-Wan. And second, they are two entirely separate complaints that happened for very different reasons.

"Finn should have been a Jedi" is mostly because of the bait-and-switch marketing that tried to show a black Jedi in a lead role for the first time, and the disappointment that followed when it wasn't the case (and that he ended up being terribly sidelined in general in addition to not being a Jedi). This was largely about black representation.

None of this has anything to do with whatever you or anyone else think should have been done with Obi-Wan. Come on.

Ding. Ding.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So he didn't kill Vader because you aren't supposed to under the code if theyre beaten, right? Like when Anakin wasn't gonna kill Dooku and tried to tell Mace not to kill Palpatine, and Luke didn't kill Vader?

LNBL

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Liam Neeson back was damn exciting. Hoping we get a season 2 with more bits with him

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Kenobi never once evolved beyond using a lightsaber like Palpatine and Yoda did. Dude was still using it in ANH against angry bar thugs. Ofc he wasn't doing what he was doing in this show anymore because of age.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
There was such an easy cop-out for Obi Wan not killing Vader. They could have just made him sense that Luke is in danger a bit earlier and made this the reason for him leaving Vader there without killing him. No complicated Jedi code moral compass needed.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Did I miss something? How does Reva know that the kid/boy is Anakin's? Did she know Leia was his daughter? AFAIK she used Leia as bait because she felt Obi-Wan had familial ties/he was close. Did I miss the Anakin angle?

Just trying to understand what her rage trip was all about.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This shit makes me feel like I am talking to aliens trying to explain human behavior that most people understand but usually don't need to be explained. No, it's not 'the way he talks'.

"Hello there" is a common expression spoken by most english speaking people atleast once or twice. And when Alec McGuinness said it in the OT, he said it the way most people use it - as a friendly greeting to a neighbor. In the prequels, the context and tone is written as a joke. He is speaking it to his mortal enemy, after dropping into his meeting. The joke is that he is using a friendly greeting, to a person with whom he is not friendly with at all! And his intonation reflects that. Where in the original, his tone was flat and neutral, spoken conversationally, in the prequel it's smug and sarcastic - again, reflecting the absurdity of giving a friendly greeting directed at someone who you want to kill and wants to kill you. Hence why Grevious' reaction is surprised, but ready to fight.

That's what makes it funny. That's why the prequel "Hello there" became a meme, while the OT "Hello there" did not. One's a typical statement used in a typical way, the other is ironic and aware in it's delivery.

But the "Hello there" of Obiwan cannot be used as a typical greeting anymore because its' become a meme. Those words are now cursed, forever associated with the prequel scene. Any utterance of them is going to trigger the memories associated with all the jokes that it brings about. It's not Obiwan's catch phrase, it's not a greeting he was ever prone to above others, there's no particular association that he has with them. I'd be willing to bet that he said "Excuse me" more times than he's ever said "hello there", but no one tries to argue that that's his catch phrase. The way SW fans interpret the phrase has nothing to do with him and everything to do with how they've repeated "Hello there!" to each other hundreds - thousands - of times. It's neither a greeting now, nor a joke, but a pavlovian response.

And I think it sucks because it becomes a distraction. That scene was meant to be Obiwan beginning a significant relationship with someone who, in the movies, would play a pivotal role in his life. Having him say "Hello there" distracts the viewer from what should be a more meaningful first conversation of Luke and Obiwan, and changes it to the viewer having a flashback of all the memes images they've ever seen, because instead focusing on the scene in front of them, they are recognizing that reference.
Every time i think i saw everything from the SW fandom, something like this appears. Impressive, most impressive.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Just trying to understand what her rage trip was all about.
She was lashing out against the closest possible thing she could which happened to be this small family on Tattoine and the recording very specifically mentions Owen and "a boy." And she put 2 and 2 together because why else would the senator who's aligned with Obiwan enough to have secret communication have any desire to help someone on a backwater planet like Tatooine? Especially after the amount of effort Obiwan went through to rescue Leia. The message very specifically says

"If he's learned of the children, I'll head to Tatooine, Owen...help the boy."