• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed every single minute of that. I enjoyed this show immensely and while I understand why people didn't like it, I loved it and it was good enough for me to want more.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Was I the only one expecting Bail to show up during Reva's Luke hunt? I thought he said he was returning to Tatooine in the message he left Obiwan.

I also love Reva "I'm here to murder the child, but the parents... we cool".

Someone needs to take the Vader "Obi-wan!" yell at the end and replace it with the "NOoooooo" from ROTS, lol

Sayers

Oct 28, 2017
I think the part where he slices off part of Vader's helmet and we see Anakin's face would have been much more impactful if they had not already done that a couple years ago in Rebels.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
am i imagining things or did Obi Wan try to do his duel of the fates back block thing against Vader and then get punched in the face

95830c3c213f14e894c49c15a513b2ce09f0620e_hq.gif

He got the Qui Gon punch.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Vader didn't die here either. Also, we still have to know how Maul ended up stranded in Malachor.
Maul was in doubt on if Kenobi survived Order 66 when we meet him in Rebels, so there won't be an interaction between those two unless they adapt those moments in Rebels for Kenobi S2 to tie in what they are doing with the Ahsoka show as they should and put that closure to Obi-Wan's growth outside of the Vader situation in his own show.

Maul is likely on Malachor after taking an L to Vader, as he implied that he had that displeasure. Though hey, maybe that can be the Reva team-up and the Kenobi show is split between Kenobi doing ghost training and some local issue, and Reva teaming with Maul on doomed revenge mission v3. Doubt it would get that involved and the fall of Crime Lord Maul will probably be in animation, but one can wish.

Edit: Spoiler tags added since shouldn't assume people watched Rebels. Which btw, y'all who haven't should watch Rebels.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I think the part where he slices off part of Vader's helmet and we see Anakin's face would have been much more impactful if they had not already done that a couple years ago in Rebels.
Obi Wan broke the right side of the helmet, Ahsoka the left side. But only Luke managed to remove the entire helmet.

It's like pottery.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Yet he told Luke to kill his father.

ESB/ROTJ Obi-Wan is a thinly drawn character that I'm fine retconning a little.

It's a shame we didn't stay on Vader a little longer after his SheevTime, because it's a great end to that arc: Obi-Wan has kicked his ass TWICE, and you know Vader must be dying to hunt him down and avenge himself, but Palpatine is still dangling the Inquisitors as his possible replacement if he gets distracted. Vader is now season premiere Reva.

As with much of Star Wars, I really dig the macro story beats even if the execution isn't all there.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
There were few good ways to end this. But Obi-Wan leaving him to continue killing in the name of the empire was a fucking terrible one.

Have Vader flee. Have Obi-Wan fake his death to make Tarkin's comments in a New Hope work better.

Turjake

Oct 1, 2021
The show is bad, but in all honesty, I really would like to see Ewan play Obi-Wan yet again, perhaps in a second season. Just with a different director. And screenwriter. And editor. And choreographer. And cinematographer.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a retcon that Obi-Wan can't bring himself to finish the job, and is pretty in-line with the crap the Jedi were about in their twilight. All deflection, projection, and pushing, which also happen to be their signature uses of the force.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Time has not been good to Hayden, the flash back in episode 5 makes him look old as Ewan..

Sliiight exaggeration, lol. Hayden's fine as hell.

Ewan is only 10 years older than Hayden though — 51 to Hayden's 41. The flashback duel wasn't doing Hayden any favors doing close-ups of his face with barely any de-aging, when he's supposed to be a teenager in the scene.

BFIB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who was not hyped for this because I hate the idea of shoehorning in another Obi-Wan and Anakin matchup, I am so glad how wrong I was. This really did fit well.

I don't think we need any more though.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So...

- How did Reva know to look for Owen's kid? I'm confused as how much she knew. Did she know that was Anakin's son? How???

- It was pretty cool to see Owen and Beru hold their own against a(n injured) Force user, but that kinda makes their deaths in ANH a bit ridiculous. I guess they were older, and taken by surprise.

- I skipped a few pages and I didn't see any complaints about Obi-Wan just walking away and letting Vader live... Seriously, he wrecked Anakin/Vader's shit TWICE (ROTS and here) and both times he left him alive just like that?? Then in the OT he had to gall to push Luke to go and commit patricide lmao, that's shameless.

- Obi-Wan praising the hell out of Leia's biological parents right in front of her adoptive parents was a bit awkward lol

- The Emperor's appearance was completely unnecessary.

Jan 18, 2018
Best episode of the season. If they do another they should put better writers on it at least. I enjoyed it. Wish I enjoyed the whole show as much as the last episode.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So...

- How did Reva know to look for Owen's kid? I'm confused as how much she knew. Did she know that was Anakin's son? How???

Owen and the children were mentioned on the comlink holomail. She remembered the Owen who likely covered for Obi-Wan on Tatooine, and put it together with Bail Oragana talking about the children being of interest to Vader that they must have been Anakin's.

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So glad I didnt follow this series with this thread....geez some of you. Last 2 episodes were excellent. Felt quite sad for Anakin during that last fight despite what he's done.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Loved the last episode. Series/Season ended so strong these last two episodes. So many great moments in that final duel. Hoping the season 2 thing is real.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Owen and the children were mentioned on the comlink holomail. She remembered the Owen who likely covered for Obi-Wan on Tatooine, and put it together with Bail Oragana talking about the children being of interest to Vader that they must have been Anakin's.

The underlined parts are huge leaps IMO... No one even knew Anakin had a lover, let alone kids.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Sliiight exaggeration, lol. Hayden's fine as hell.

Ewan is only 10 years older than Hayden though — 51 to Hayden's 41. The flashback duel wasn't doing Hayden any favors doing close-ups of his face with barely any de-aging, when he's supposed to be a teenager in the scene.
I am older than Hayden, and he looks way older than me, he has not aged well, smoking does that to a person, even with all that make up on i can see his face looks rough..

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, I binged this series last night, and was pretty whelmed. It felt very assembly line, a perfunctory showing because they wanted to capitalize on fan fervor for more Ewan as Obi-wan, rather than a project with any amount of passion behind the writing/premise.

Actors all did the best with what they were given, but what they were given was "very little," with few exceptions (e.g. Hayden was great at the end). Young Leia was spot-on personality-wise, and probably a highlight, but the focus of her relationship with Obi-wan obviously strains credulity of canon. Might've better fit canon if Leia was somehow never privy to him being Obi-wan Kenobi, instead thinking he's just some jedi named Ben.

Reva just never worked particularly well, especially in the final sequences. Felt bad for the actress. The Luke chase was just silly, although it allowed for Aunt Beru to have an unexpected badass moment (cue the Aunt Beru origin story, go Disney).

The Obi-wan vs Vader fight in the finale was... I dunno. It felt like a cheap imitation of the Vader vs Ahsoka duel in Rebels, complete with rehashing the sliced helmet. Can't be too mad, since it gave Hayden time to seriously shine, which he deserved. But I don't particularly like that Obi-wan has now allowed Vader to live again, despite knowing even more what a mass murderer he is and will continue to be. And I'm not sure that Obi-wan should have really ended the show on such a return to fitness, when he's geriatric in short order.

is he really?

he is having his jedi knight exam.

so im not sure he is supposed to be a teenager at all.

Anakin became a Knight at 19.

I am older than Hayden, and he looks way older than me, he has not aged well, smoking does that to a person, even with all that make up on i can see his face looks rough..

Uhhh, all right, sure. Let's all pray to look that rough in our 40s.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I assume you haven't seen TCW/Rebels...?

Is there a good Rebels one besides Obi/Maul?

I'd say the final duel here is easy top five for me, along with Sidious v Maul/Savage, Rey/Kylo v the Praetorians, plus the ROTS Ani/Obi duel and Luke/Vader in ROTJ (almost entirely for the music cue, I love that music cue).

I consider the Obi/Maul duel it's own thing, since it's power is more in the poetry of it in the grand scheme of things versus it as a duel in isolation.

So...

- It was pretty cool to see Owen and Beru hold their own against a(n injured) Force user, but that kinda makes their deaths in ANH a bit ridiculous. I guess they were older, and taken by surprise.

- I skipped a few pages and I didn't see any complaints about Obi-Wan just walking away and letting Vader live... Seriously, he wrecked Anakin/Vader's shit TWICE (ROTS and here) and both times he left him alive just like that?? Then in the OT he had to gall to push Luke to go and commit patricide lmao, that's shameless.

- Obi-Wan praising the hell out of Leia's biological parents right in front of her adoptive parents was a bit awkward lol

- The Emperor's appearance was completely unnecessary.

There's been a few discussions about Obi leaving him. My two cents is Vader could still have struck him down if he tried and Obi still loves him and can't bring himself to truly end things. He's just flawed as a person in some ways.

I think Owen and Beru got roasted alive by a bunch of Stormtroopers, no? It's a bit different than defending against a lone intruder. They also expected her, and she didn't expect them.

I think Obi talking about Leia's parents is fine in front of Bail. He loves them as much as Obi does.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I've only seen it on YouTube but for the vast majority of viewers this will be the first time they have seen something like this. As much as the hardcore Star Wars fans watch the animated shows, for most of us it is never something we will be watching given the horrible early episodes you have to slog through.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
I mean what do to expect? We only really see close ups when he's suppose to be young and they didn't de-age him well. It's been 20 years since he was suppose to be teenage anakin of course you're gonna look older in some capacity. I wouldn't say it's an issue with him as much as Disney not putting more resources into making him look younger because he can't do anything about it lol

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a good Rebels one besides Obi/Maul?

I'd say the final duel here is easy top five for me, along with Sidious v Maul/Savage, Rey/Kylo v the Praetorians, plus the ROTS Ani/Obi duel and Luke/Vader in ROTJ (almost entirely for the music cue, I love that music cue).

I consider the Obi/Maul duel it's own thing, since it's power is more in the poetry of it in the grand scheme of things versus it as a duel in isolation.

Try watching the last two episodes of the second season of Rebels. I won't say much, but there's a lot that they borrowed from there in this finale.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Final grade on Reva: What a terrible character. They needed to go back to the drawing board with her.

Also smh Vader losing his high ground advantage. I hope we get a season 2 with Clone wars flashbacks.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I've only seen it on YouTube but for the vast majority of viewers this will be the first time they have seen something like this. As much as the hardcore Star Wars fans watch the animated shows, for most of us it is never something we will be watching given the horrible early episodes you have to slog through.

It's really everyone else's loss. Clone Wars is essentially fire once it gets its footing midway through S1, and when it swings and misses it's because it took a swing at something utterly insane.

Rebels takes longer but is also shorter.

People complaining about the lack of good Star Wars content need to just watch the good Star Wars content. Like, Star Trek TNG is kind of trash for the first two seasons, but people stuck through it until it was good. It's normal for shows to take awhile to get their footing.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The underlined parts are huge leaps IMO... No one even knew Anakin had a lover, let alone kids.
The first bit Reva was making that leap herself in the first episode.

As for the second, Bail is talking about children and Owen is mentioned, who said in their confrontation in E1 he had a child and wife back home iirc. Obi-Wan rushed to protect Leia, which was Reva's plan in thinking Bail was the only connection. But now multiple children and this Owen are mentioned, and imply Vader's direct interest in getting a hold of them. Given she already makes obsessive leaps when it comes to Obi-Wan and Anakin/Vader, it's not that far for her.

Pretty sure Luke's last name was also kept as Skywalker instead of Lars, so just knowing to look into that situation that bit is a dead giveaway if she hadn't already made that leap herself.