• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe that means they shouldn't have bothered if there was nothing interesting to show or do

I think the show took Obi-Wan from broken to purposeful and got him to a place where he finally found peace with what had happened to Anakin. There was a lot of messy plot debris on that road but I think that showing how he got from A to B was a valuable concept

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
DEAR GOD THAT IMPERIAL MARCH DROP WAS FUCKING MASTERFUL

THEY MADE US WAIT THE WHOLE DAMN SEASON
I definitely took that as now we have the beginning of Darth Vader becoming who he is in A New Hope. During this series I still saw him as conflicted, at least in terms of Obi Wan. Like he knows he wants to catch him. But for what purpose. To kill him? To make him fear him? To show him how powerful he has become? It's like up until that Imperial March, he wasn't sure. Hence the conversation between Palpatine and himself. Now he is sure that next time they meet he will kill him. Which explains to me why he didn't make the killing blow when they met at the beginning of the series and why he didn't necessarily deal a killing blow during this last episode, instead choosing to just bury him. Like he couldn't bring himself to just stab Obi Wan or something.

Goku420

May 23, 2022
I think the show took Obi-Wan from broken to purposeful and got him to a place where he finally found peace with what had happened to Anakin. There was a lot of messy plot debris on that road but I think that showing how he got from A to B was a valuable concept
It's a fine concept but I don't think they had any good story ideas of how to make that play out

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Yes please

For reference, she's referring to this novel by Claudia Gray:

71tq52DMjJL.jpg

I enjoyed the Claudia Gray's Leia books.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
What it seems like is they had the story idea for the Vader/Obi-Wan confrontations they really wanted to do and then they made up a bunch of bullshit to pad out getting to there. Should've just been a movie.

Kind of like the prequels where the events of Revenge was the actual story Lucas had in his head for years and the 1st two movies was him mostly making shit up as he went.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That finale was okay.

I wanted to like Reva but her character felt like she never really had enough screentime, so any development feels rushed. The downside to Vader also being a focus since the show was constantly being torn between the two, and it was ultimately more interested in the Vader side.

Did like Vader/Obi-Wans final exchange. If they do a second season I hope they don't encounter each other again, that feels like a good place to leave it. Have more focus on the remaining Inquisitors since there's less story baggage to deal with there.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately a very shaky show overall with a lot of middling production value and surprisingly acting (outside of Ewan, Hayden and the Lars) which often felt stilted at best. Action often felt strangely hands-off like we were seeing production footage rather than final footage. However, it did end on a positive note with a strong final episode that managed to impart some development and justify its retconned in extra duel.

I would say this was much better suited for an Obi-Wan movie, as it was originally envisioned, than a six episode series. It would have avoided some of the dillydallying present here, concentrated the production and focused the narrative.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
Great finale, but the series overall has issues with connecting the dots in ways that don't kill your suspension of disbelief.

At the end of the last episode, the transport ship had just taken off and Revan was left for dead with a stab wound in her stomach. Next episode. the Empire is chasing them for what we could only imagine as a few minutes to a few hours at best (unless the Empire is just that incompetent). In that extremely short amount of time, Revan tended to her wound, got off the planet somehow, got to Tatooine, and hunted Owen Lars. Does Star Trek technology exist in Star Wars now? Because she had to have gotten beamed to Tatooine for that small passage of time to make sense. That said, I really liked her arc in this series.

That said, I don't really have a problem with Obi-Wan leaving Vader alive. I imagine there's still a part of him that can't go through with it. Besides, even if Vader died, the Empire would still go chugging along.

Overall, this series had a decent story to tell, good acting, and a memorable cast (loved young Leia and the LOLA droid), but the script needed some serious proofreading before filming. There are terrible leaps of logic that make zero sense. At least it didn't ruin any characters like Boba Fett.

Still can't swallow that scene of Obi-Wan getting dragged away by the loader bot while Vader and the trooper are held back by a tiny bit of fire.

Darth Vader - "There he is!! Don't let him get away!!"

Stormtrooper 1 - "I can't hear what he said. The signal in my helmet's jammed."

Stromtrooper 2 - "He said 'Don't. Let him get away."

Stormtrooper 1 - "That odd, but... orders are orders."

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
8fahs3wsq4791.jpg

While a lot of disappointing moments in the series and bad writing, the final 2 episodes really showed what someone like Andrew Stanton (co-wrote or rewrote the last 2 episodes, huge creative power at Pixar) brings in with an A-Game. Loved loved loved the final duel and most of the last 20 mins, although every time they cut to Reva/Tatooine its like "NOOoooooo get back to the good stuff!!!"

Show definitely adds to the calibration of Star Wars TV, Mando for me is a pretty high bar and Boba is pretty low with Obi-Wan squarely in the middle, definitely interested to see where Andor (soon!) and Ahsoka land.

Palpatine cameo had me laughing for some reason, he just comes across as a huge troll and makes me laugh now

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
God I hope Andor gives me something fucking actually good to eat. Obi Wan had moments but overall was a mediocore show.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
"When i left you I was but the learner now i am the master."

Guess it leaves room for one more fight?
I think that would be pushing it into ridiculousness, this was already a retcon to begin with and it left no real need for them to meet again til the Death Star. Vader getting his ass handed to him again by Obi-Wan is enough to qualify him as "learner" a decade before their final meeting.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, what were people expecting? Vader to find out about his kids? Luke being murdered? Obi Wan killing Darth Vader?
Playing within this sandbox, obviously the show can't avoid us "knowing the future". But it shackled itself to those events so early. It would have been cool to see some Obi Wan adventure stories before jacking him back into the main narrative.
I didn't need Obi Wan interacting with much of anyone we've ever seen or met before once he leaves Tattooine, at least at first. They could have told a story about him on the run and avoiding capture or working with some early Rebel characters to help set up the alliance or undermine some plan of the Empire's that didn't involve Leia or Vader at first. The best new character in the whole show for me was Tala and it would have been nice to see more of how the Empire affected other people like we saw with her. I also didn't dislike where they were going with Reva, but she was playing second fiddle to the Vader Vs Kenobi plot, so she didn't have much room to develop or breathe.

And on that note? I don't know if I personally needed him and Vader meeting up at all. Of course I realize they were always going to do it, so it would have been good if it didn't happen so early and twice in what's looking like a 2-season show. You build to that. Their conflict has such a heavy gravitational pull that it sucks the air out of anything around it. They really could have started out a bit farther in terms of story beats and spiraled toward an eventual and inevitable confrontation. I liked the whole hook of Obi Wan doubting his abilities and beliefs and breaking through that as a plot point and motivator. But they sped right through that instead of mining it for interesting stories.

Honestly, I hated the second half of the show a lot less than the first, but it never really came together for me. It misses for me the way a lot of modern Star Wars stuff does. It panders to memory and convention instead of doing something unique or new. And it works for some folks, I'm just not one of them. Just have got to start ratcheting my expectations for that being what Star Wars is going to be going forward.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Just finished the last episode, still felt like I was watching a fan film. I did enjoy some of the moments with Leia and the part where we saw Anakin behind the broken mask was great, but the series as a whole felt never really got me engaged. It looked and sounded cheap, there wasn't a clear story and Vader/Reva made for a very confusing and seemingly inept pair of antagonists. Most of what they did made no sense. Some of the dialogue is also really weird, I've seen a few people say it sounds like an AI wrote some of it and I agree.

I also don't know how they fucked up those two cameos in the finale. The exchange between Vader and the Emperor was very odd and it looked like they started shooting Ian before he'd even finished having the makeup applied. I liked Liam Neeson's performance (it was good to see Qui-Gon actually smile!) but surely they could have come up with a better way to use him? Not only did the actual shots look like a fan edit but the dialogue is so bland, there are so many better ways they could have used him. Both Sheev and Qui-Gon cameos felt like box-ticking, why bother to involve them at all if it's in such an arbitrary way? They appear when the drama is over which is criminal.

I'm interested in an S2 because it might actually be something like what I originally pictured for this project (Fistful of Dollars x Star Wars) but I doubt we'll get anything like that. It will be Ben and Reva vs the Inquisitors.

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
Overall I liked the show. There were some head-scratching moments here and there but they weren't enough to poison the well for me.

Disney, please greenlight a Darth Vader series asap.

Aldro

Jun 5, 2020
Sweden
I enjoyed it until E04 finished, was around a good 7/10 for me.
E05 and E06 truly made the show though and I am super super happy.
What an incredible and emotionally heavy ride, 9/10.

At this point I would easily take a Season 2, especially with how this one ended...

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
It's fine as a piece of extended lore around the original trilogy but it's already bursting at the seams of being believable in the current canon. It really isn't plausible at this point that Leia wouldn't remember or reference these events in A New Hope.

I enjoyed the Anakin/Vader moment and the voice was genuinely brilliant. One of the better new Star Wars moments.

Please just fucking take us away from these characters, timeline and planets. Good god.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Im not the biggest SW aficionado but uh what more story can they tell in a season 2?!

This season already felt like they were reaching a bit.

Only way I'd be down for a S2 is if it's Obi Wan just wandering the desert solving miscellaneous crimes lmao.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
the only thing that sucks is the inquisitors didn't do much, they are there and didn't contribute to anything lol

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
I complained too about Obi Wan leaving Vader alive, but thinking now it's the right move: Only Anakin can bring balance back to the force, and for that he must live, as Luke/Leia are the ones who will push Anakin from Vader.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly the lack of a complete episode for a Clone Wars era flashback was sorely lacking. I didn't need Ahsoka - what I did need was a little more building of the Anakin/Obi relationship that, let's face it, the prequels never really did much with.

McGregor tearfully apologising is so good, but it just stops short of being truly tragic because all we've had is one proper flashback and a lot of Revenge of the Sith audio files.

What I'm saying is we could have very easily scrapped Episode 4 in its entirety and replaced it with Obi-Wan reminiscing about the Clone Wars and what Anakin meant to him. Would have really helped with that line where he tells Leia about her father's qualities too.
I think that would be pushing it into ridiculousness, this was already a retcon to begin with and it left no real need for them to meet again til the Death Star. Vader getting his ass handed to him again by Obi-Wan is enough to qualify him as "learner" a decade before their final meeting.
That was also very much the Emperor at the end telling him to pack it in, the silly metal bastard

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
"I am not your failure, Obi-Wan. You didn't kill Anakin Skywalker. I did."

"Your son is gone. He was weak and foolish, like his father. So I destroyed him."

dcvcozy-796d38f7-68ca-4d52-8825-4f49bf8890cf.gif

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the finale and I still feel like this show brought nothing new to our understanding of these characters or the stakes of the original trilogy. I think it made some things worse. I know every show is a cash grab to some extent, but this show really had no interesting stories to tell, nor anything of consequence to reveal.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was confused at first about why Reva was going after Luke. She doesn't know any of the connection between Luke/Leia and Vader. She went after Leia b/c she knew that Bail Organa and Obi-wan had a connection, and she wanted Obi-wan to get to Vader, so why go after Luke? She doesn't know anything about him.

Except, she does know that Luke has some connection to Obi-wan through the broken communicator message. I figure at that point, after she had failed to take down Vader, she was angry enough at Obi-wan (who she said let Anakin kill the younglings!) that she decided to go after Luke just to try to get some sort of revenge on Obi-wan for his role in failing to protect her and her friends.

It's poorly executed, but that's the only thing that makes sense in my head.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
im shocked the fifth brother never came back. dude just stood around and grunted. what a jobber.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I was confused at first about why Reva was going after Luke. She doesn't know any of the connection between Luke/Leia and Vader. She went after Leia b/c she knew that Bail Organa and Obi-wan had a connection, and she wanted Obi-wan to get to Vader, so why go after Luke? She doesn't know anything about him.
Bail organa left a message mentioning Luke's circumstances on Obiwan's iphone and it was dropped when Obiwan escaped Vader and Reva found it and it didn't have any password lock on it, so that's how she knew.

Except, she does know that Luke has some connection to Obi-wan through the broken communicator message. I figure at that point, after she had failed to take down Vader, she was angry enough at Obi-wan (who she said let Anakin kill the younglings!) that she decided to go after Luke just to try to get some sort of revenge on Obi-wan for his role in failing to protect her and her friends.

It's poorly executed, but that's the only thing that makes sense in my head.
Shoulda read the whole post lol

Yeah, that's what happend.

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
I really hope the next few shows look better than this. I get that the volume probably saves them a lot of money but it all looks so...cheap. And Star Wars shouldn't look cheap. I don't remember Mando having this problem despite the fact that the volume was used there as well. As I've mentioned in another post, the show is fine. But the visuals are just not up to par.

At least Andor will look stellar, based on the trailer.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
the only thing that sucks is the inquisitors didn't do much, they are there and didn't contribute to anything lol

The Inquisitors are professional jobbers and always have been.

I'm glad we're staying consistent with that

And people were saying the Grand Inquisitor's makeup looked bad because he'd have actions scenes that necessitated less intensive makeup. Guess not!

The GI live action look grew on me, mostly because of the sweet voice coming out of it

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
I really hope the next few shows look better than this. I get that the volume probably saves them a lot of money but it all looks so...cheap. And Star Wars shouldn't look cheap. I don't remember Mando having this problem despite the fact that the volume was used there as well. As I've mentioned in another post, the show is fine. But the visuals are just not up to par.

This is a big one for me. The visual language of the show was sloppy as hell.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
im shocked the fifth brother never came back. dude just stood around and grunted. what a jobber.

It's perplexing that outside of Reva and the Grand Inquisitor (and even then minimal), none of the other Inquisitors did anything in this show. The Fifth Brother was far more active in Rebels.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
That was a FANTASTIC episode.

This really should have been a movie, but I'm glad I stuck with it through to the end.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
The GI live action look grew on me, mostly because of the sweet voice coming out of it

He did a good job, I liked his performance.

They probably should have just made him a new Inquisitor, though. I love Isaacs voice so much and the Pau'ans are one of my favorite SW alien designs so it was a hard pill for me to swallow.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that was a fitting end to this dumpster fire of a series.

Obi-Wan's "return to form" was so poorly handled. There was basically no attempt to bridge his portrayal as a broken, out of practice Jedi to the Obi-Wan we see in this episode who is able to go toe to toe with prime Vader. Feels like the show is missing a whole second act.

And Reva... good god. Why is everything involving her just so unbelievably goofy.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017

Mando season 3 even at this early stage look expensive as shit. Andor does too.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

But tbh you can also notice it with the Marvel shows.. Ms.Marvel look quite a bit better than the other MCU shows.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
The episode did a good job of showing that while Vader is extremely powerful, he is also extremely vulnerable. He's basically a walking life support machine and a highly skilled Jedi is able to take advantage of this.

It also shows why he was never able to overthrow the Emperor since, and we know this from RotJ, his suit means he is obviously vulnerable to force lightening.

Vader is permanently held back due to his suit and the Emperor no doubt likes it.

Kemiko

Oct 5, 2018
I enjoyed it, but found both Mando & Boba Fett more engaging. I think it was the lack of any sort of threat because you knew every main character would be ok.

Some of the fights felt underwhelming too, no one seemed to really get hurt until the script said they should, if that makes sense. Everyone always got away from tons of fire from stormtroopers hitting everything but the rebels (I know that's a trope but come on). Some of them felt kinda slow too?

More backstory and flashbacks with Anakin and Obi Wan would have been great. So we can see more of the conflict that builds up and leads him to becoming Darth Vader. Maybe some of his rehabilitation and transformation into Darth in more detail?

I'm hoping eventually we'll get to see more expanded universe with new characters. The galaxy is a big place after all!

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It's perplexing that outside of Reva and the Grand Inquisitor (and even then minimal), none of the other Inquisitors did anything in this show. The Fifth Brother was far more active in Rebels.

I wonder if they were there as a red herring. Obi never fights any of them, really, so they're there to trick you into thinking Darth isn't the final boss. They are more interesting than generic imperials, though, and Reva needed superiors and 'allies' for her plot to work.