• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, if this time stuff bothers some of you, don't watch Empire Strikes Back where Luke makes massive progress on his Jedi training in like 2 days. And where barely an hour seems to pass during his travels from Dagobah to Bespin. 👀

dont you know, if we not see Reva, looking for a ship, paying her ticket, being on the transport, arriving at tatooine, passing thru customs, taking a speeder to mos eisley,

IT DIDNT HAPPEN

Oct 25, 2017
"I've just spend years watching this man hunt down and murder everyone I know and love but maybe he can be redeemed. He'll probably murder hundreds, if not thousands, more before that happens but those people's lives are a sacrifice I'm willing to make."

- Obi-Wan Kenobi, "hero"

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Talk about saving the best for last, I did not expect the final duel to be this good. Hayden as usual really nails the physical acting with his expressions of barely controlled rage and blood thirst.

SixtyTwoMike

Oct 26, 2017
Must say I'm very surprised at the reactions in this thread I've been on the positive side for this series up till now (as much as is possible) but this was the first episode that really made me a bit mad at what they'd added to the canon. Obi wan being any kind of match for Vader, Obi Wan letting him live again, Vader letting Obi Wan off the hook for failing him...none of it felt earned, all felt like it was pulled from a fan service wish list.

It all got to a good place in the end but the journey was a garbage fire tbh.

Kenobi beat Anakin before he turned into a broken robot man. Why wouldn't he now? Like always, his aggression is undoing. Luke had him on the floor second time round with hardly any training.

Also, canon-wise, this makes more sense based on what Vader says in ANH.

Vader was a failure, which is why Palpatine wanted Luke.

EDIT - Luke example not the best because Luke did this by being super aggressive 😂

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do...people complaining about Ben not killing Vader...realize when this show happens?

Also, it's fucking Star Wars, with complaints like that, no wonder the fandom is in constant state of guerilla warfare online. Who the hell wants to see that happen anyway? It's Ben Kenobi and Vader, perpetual lightsaber badassery for kids aged 6-66.

I feel like my brain cells are dying reading it, slowly.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I feel like that finale made up for a very average mid-season. Episode 3 and 4 were rough, and in general the series just felt a bit too stretched out - it would have made a great 2h movie I think.

The scene with Anakin was so fucking sad. Him half broken on the ground, totally unable to fight back but still just seething with hatred. It's very nice of Vader to give Obi Wan "forgiveness" though, even if it's not what he intended.

Liam Neeson returning was beautiful.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do...people complaining about Ben not killing Vader...realize when this show happens?

No duh lol, the complaint is that they should've avoided a scenario where Obi Wan clearly was capable of killing him. Now he just comes off looking bad as he lets Vader go on to terrorize god knows how many people in the coming years

He was weakened, vulnerable, and Obi Wan himself even finally accepted that Anakin was dead... yet he just walks away anyhow letting Vader live. Yes, it's clear why that happened for meta reasons, but the issue is that it just completely took me and others out of it.

That's the issue when a prequel is sloppy, everyone has to then bend over backwards to make it still work within the canon lol

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I totally thought Obi Wan would name drop Padme to Vader to throw him off key. But I guess using a dead spouse for shock value isn't very jedi...
No duh lol, the complaint is that they should've avoided a scenario where Obi Wan clearly should've killed him. Now he just comes off looking bad as he lets Vader go on to terrorize god knows how many people in the coming years

He was weakened, vulnerable, and Obi Wan himself even finally accepted that Anakin was dead... yet he just walks away anyhow letting Vader live. Yes, it's clear why that happened for meta reasons, but the issue is that it just completely took me and others out of it.
It's a bit clumsy, and I feel like it could have literally been solved by the Emperor catching wind of what had happened and sending backup troops, forcing Obi-Wan to flee. Would have also led nicely into that scene with him criticising Vader for his crusade.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Imagine they did this -

Ben killed Vader at the end of this episode. A Stormtrooper came down from the ship to see what was going on. Ben ko'd the Stormtrooper, put the Vader armour on him, and then did a Jedi mind trick on him to convince him he was Vader and could use the force. The entire OT is this random Stormtrooper who everyone thinks is Anakin but it's just some random brainwashed dude that Obi Wan set up for the laughs.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
By the way, it's really funny how Obi-wan was pretty much a Souls protagonist in a few moments of this fight.

First the rolling, then "dying" and then coming back up and the first thing he tries is running in for a backstab.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Needed a scene of Obi wan talking to qui Gon about how he failed him in regards to Anakin.
thats for season 2.

Also, beru and Owen fights very well against an inquisitor. 10 years later, they get brutally murdered by 5 storm troopers.
prep time, babyyyyyy! (also, reva had a lightsaber wound.)

2nd time Obi-Wan
leaves a mass murderer alive.

Good job bruh.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine they did this -

Ben killed Vader at the end of this episode. A Stormtrooper came down from the ship to see what was going on. Ben ko'd the Stormtrooper, put the Vader armour on him, and then did a Jedi mind trick on him to convince him he was Vader and could use the force. The entire OT is this random Stormtrooper who everyone thinks is Anakin but it's just some random brainwashed dude that Obi Wan set up for the laughs.

Some people want this.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
That was an entertaining episode and same can be said of the series, especially if you are willing to turn off your brain and jump in for the ride.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
No duh lol, the complaint is that they should've avoided a scenario where Obi Wan clearly was capable of killing him. Now he just comes off looking bad as he lets Vader go on to terrorize god knows how many people in the coming years

That's the issue when a prequel is sloppy, everyone has to then bend over backwards to make it still work within the canon lol

I'm torn on it. In-universe it makes sense, that Obi still loves him and won't kill him (in ROTS Anakin was in agony and Obi left him to die when killing him would have actually helped Anakin), and it makes sense that he can see that Vader must live for the best case scenario (something we can also tell out of universe). I stated before that, even weakened, Vader is dangerous so Obi getting close enough to kill him for good would put himself at risk too.

But I do wish they'd found a way to make it cleaner somehow. They could have had the duel happen in a scenario where time is of the essence, and Obi's choice is to save someone else versus take out Vader.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn on it. In-universe it makes sense, that Obi still loves him and won't kill him (in ROTS Anakin was in agony and Obi left him to die when killing him would have actually helped Anakin), and it makes sense that he can see that Vader must live for the best case scenario (something we can also tell out of universe). I stated before that, even weakened, Vader is dangerous so Obi getting close enough to kill him for good would put himself at risk too.

But I do wish they'd found a way to make it cleaner somehow. They could have had the duel happen in a scenario where time is of the essence, and Obi's choice is to save someone else versus take out Vader.

You want that TDK moment??

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I was happy I just binged all of it in a few days so there wasn't time to let the bad stuff percolate. Overall I enjoyed it, but yeah Disney keeps fumbling the property. The retcons were just bad, and unnecessary. Sure, there's a reason why Leia says "help me Obi Wan Kenobi" but let's ignore that she prepends it with "years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars, now he needs your help", instead of you know "years ago you saved my life when I was in a very impressionable age and maybe you can do it again". It's a good thing Obi-Wan wins to Vader on account of "when I left you I was but a learner", even though you know he wasn't and they also don't meet at last. At least they had a nice emotional moment where Obi Wan calls his old friend truly dead and then.. he walks away? Fuck that was stupid.

Reva also just seems like a mostly pointless character.

I still have some hope for Andor since it should be far away from the OT, but I'm sure they're going to shoehorn a bunch of needless cameos and retcons in there somehow too.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Awesome episode. Really wrapped things up nicely too. One of the best Vader fights ever too. Sign me up for a season 2 or like someone else just mentioned, a Vader show. Would love to know what and where Grogu was doing all these years. Maybe living in some space daycare center?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
For what it's worth, it's been advertised as a season finale or special event everywhere I've seen it, so we still have hope for a S2.

(This also gives me hope for more TBOBF but I imagine that's going to tie into Mando S3)

You want that TDK moment??

Not specifically, but giving him an additional reason to leave quickly would have made it a bit cleaner.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't make a whole lot of sense though if that's her actual reason. Especially because he offered to help her and she's like "Nah man, I don't trust you...Imma do this alone!". Somehow going off to kill kids would make everything better.
You are so close to figuring out that literally since episode 1 her enter character=constant lashing out.

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
Obi-Wan let Vader live 3 times? First in Revenge, second time here in Kenobi and third time in the OT Star Wars arguably? Maybe a second season could explore more of Obi-Wan talking with Qui-Gon about how he somehow still believes Vader can be restored to the lightside
As well as stuff related to his feelings for Anakin - in both RotS and Kenobi, Vader was injured to the point of not being able to fight back. He was essentially unarmed and defenceless, so it wouldn't be the Jedi way. Obi-Wan would care about and believe in that.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
A great ending for a limited series. Looking forward to the next season.

I liked how they let that "Hello there" from Obi Wan to Luke just hang in the air for a moment while we all said "General Kenobi!" in our heads.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Great episode for an overall average season. I feel like the cracked mask would've been way cooler if it hadn't already happened before in rebels. The voice changing back and forth was awesome though

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Loved the finale and after a shaky season I think it finally delivering on pretty much all fronts in the last episode made it worth it.

I have a question though...

Was this always meant to be a show?

Thinking back on the whole season and I feel like this feels like it could easily have been truncated to a 2hr30m movie or, more accurately, that it perhaps was conceived as that once upon a time and then grown out into a longer show.

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
These last two episodes, and especially this finale really redeemed the entire show. Really enjoyed the fight choreography and visual backdrop to Kenobi v Vader.

It doesn't really seem to make sense that they'd continue this though? Maybe make a Reva and/or Vader led show, but Kenobis story wrapped up really neat.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017

Yeah how do you realize the empire is screwing everyone over and let the empires main enforcer go? It's silly and stupid. "Ah well you see this evil empires number two man is my best friend so...."

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Loved the finale and after a shaky season I think it finally delivering on pretty much all fronts in the last episode made it worth it.

I have a question though...

Was this always meant to be a show?

Thinking back on the whole season and I feel like this feels like it could easily have been truncated to a 2hr30m movie or, more accurately, that it perhaps was conceived as that once upon a time and then grown out into a longer show.
it was originally planned as a movie but after solo bombed and disney's ceo saw streaming as the future, the project shifted towards streaming. the project also received a massive rewrite at one point where they completely delayed production on the show to rewrite the scripts because lucasfilm was unsatisfied.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
These last two episodes, and especially this finale really redeemed this. Really enjoyed the fight choreography and visual backdrop to Kenobi v Vader.

It doesn't really seem to make sense that they'd continue this though? Maybe make a Reva and/or Vader led show, but Kenobis story wrapped up really neat.

It would be really weird to have Kenobi and Vader together in the same show, but a Vader solo show would be great, and a Obi-Wan + Reva too lol

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
This should have been a TV special sort of or movie. The story & fights between Obi Wan & Vader were good. And I'd really would have liked to see more of the flashbacks with Anakin & Obi Wan exploring more of their relationship. Hayden Christensen was criminally underused for the way they paraded him around during the show's promo tour. Whole Leia/Luke/Inquisitor plot was nonsensical & uninteresting.

And stop it with the fucking shaky cam!!!

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

it would be cool for, obi want to try to approach to finish the job, and Vader using the force to repel him enough for obi to give up on the try and just go away

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
it was originally planned as a movie but after solo bombed and disney's ceo saw streaming as the future, the project shifted towards streaming. the project also received a massive rewrite at one point where they completely delayed production on the show to rewrite the scripts because lucasfilm was unsatisfied.

Ah, that's interesting to know.

I know in hindsight it's easy to say, but I think it's clear to see the broad strokes of what a movie of this specific story might have looked like verses the extensions (or what some more critical viewers might call "Bloat").

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine they did this -

Then everyone has to pretend that Vader can use the Force.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Woa I thought the finale was nearly perfect, I loved it!

Last couple episodes were really strong for me, obvious budget issues, weird direction choices in quiet a few moments especially earlier episodes, and an overall rushed feeling of the series aside, I'm rather happy with it and would enjoy a Series 2

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Kenobi beat Anakin before he turned into a broken robot man. Why wouldn't he now? Like always, his aggression is undoing. Luke had him on the floor second time round with hardly any training.

Also, canon-wise, this makes more sense based on what Vader says in ANH.

Vader was a failure, which is why Palpatine wanted Luke.

EDIT - Luke example not the best because Luke did this by being super aggressive 😂

Ooh, I can't leave this unanswered. You missed an important point in the Luke/Vader confrontation in Return of the Jedi. Luke didn't win by being super aggressive. He won by giving in to the Dark Side, letting it fill him with power. It's what makes that moment so impactful. He crosses the line and is a single swipe of his lightsaber away from losing himself just like Anakin did, but unlike his father, he is able to pull back even when it seems like it might be too late and that it will result in his own death.

Obi-Wan didn't ever give in to the Dark Side that I'm aware of. I think that's one of the reasons Anakin is so pissed at him. Anakin sacrificed everything to gain his new powers, and he still can't beat Obi-Wan. That's gotta sting.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Jedi just don't kill defenseless people full stop. Anakin executing Dooku was something Anakin knew he SHOULDN'T have done. It was another bright red flag.

Windu moving in to kill a "beaten" Sheev was him compromising his code and is what cemented in Anakin's mind that the jedi are hypocrites and just like the Sith.

In ROTJ, Luke executing Sheev or Vader would have sent him on the path to the dark side, he had to win another way.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yes please

For reference, she's referring to this novel by Claudia Gray:

71tq52DMjJL.jpg

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
am i imagining things or did Obi Wan try to do his duel of the fates back block thing against Vader and then get punched in the face

95830c3c213f14e894c49c15a513b2ce09f0620e_hq.gif

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine they did this -

So he's Venom Vader?