• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Finale was 9/10 almost 10/10 if it wasn't for the "Useless lasers that never hit anything" in the first 15 minutes. Having said that…..

What a terrible fuck up. This was arguably the biggest Star Wars project with The Who's who in Star Wars (Vader/Kenobi/lea/Luke played by Major actors from the movies in Vader/Obi) and disney couldn't even master all there wealth to present a decent script/choreography/music????? LIKE WTF. Who greenlit this shit? First of all, I would start by firing that person. Second, bring this whole cast back and just let Jon Farveu run this shit.

Like imagine if this was even Mandalorian good? This would have blown up. But nope.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Things I'd like to see in terms of storylines before ANH. These arn't ideas for a season 2, but just ideas in general.

-Wait about 7 years and use makeup to make Ewan look older (white hair).
-Have a teenage Leia who is starting to really get into the rebellion and politics.
-Have Luke (not deep fake, recast) learning flying and such on Tatooine.
-Show Obi-Wan vs Maul in live action. Maybe show him with Ezra?

As for the overall plot of it, I don't know. Seems like a bunch of ideas that work, but on their own.

7 Years from now would be 2 BBY, so 2 years before ANH. The rebellion is really starting to build up at that time, until we see the events of Rouge One that really kicks off the OT.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Now that Star Wars is DBZ let's talk about power rankings. Obi-Wan whooped prime Vader and Anakin. Is he the next best fighter after Sidious? Where do Yoda, Mace Windu, Luke, Ben and Rey rank?

I feel like there was a serious discussion about this back in the day concerning the duels at the end of ROTS. Basically, going in you assume that only Yoda is as good as Palps, but in reality they don't quite know how strong Palps is, and it's possible a swap could have ended decisively for the heroes. Obi does struggle a bit against Dooku and Grievous, admittedly.

Ssyem

Mar 15, 2022
Can't speak on season 2 but first mando season was pretty fucking awful imo.

Disney star wars has been a huge letdown

S1 was just fine but S2 was fire. TCW's last 4 episodes were also the best SW since the OT. Boba Fett was just okay (with the best of it being a Mando S3 backdoor) and this was a mixed bag, but still we're the best we've been since the 2015 comeback.

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
Things I'd like to see in terms of storylines before ANH. These arn't ideas for a season 2, but just ideas in general.

-Wait about 7 years and use makeup to make Ewan look older (white hair).
-Have a teenage Leia who is starting to really get into the rebellion and politics.
-Have Luke (not deep fake, recast) learning flying and such on Tatooine.
-Show Obi-Wan vs Maul in live action. Maybe show him with Ezra?

As for the overall plot of it, I don't know. Seems like a bunch of ideas that work, but on their own.

7 Years from now would be 2 BBY, so 2 years before ANH. The rebellion is really starting to build up at that time, until we see the events of Rouge One that really kicks off the OT.
Completely disagree about Obi-Wan vs Maul. What's the point in repeating something that's already been done pretty much perfectly?

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Mostly a pretty good finale, but I think Reva should have succumbed to her injuries after her hate "ran out".

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I liked that ending. The Vader/Kenobi fight was what I was hoping the rest of the show felt like; lots of emotion in that fight.

I wonder if Reva is going to be in the Star Wars Jedi game?

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This was the most ridiculous case of teleporting in a show I have ever seen. Worse than later Game of Thrones seasons. I don't even want to ask questions anymore.

Vader vs Kenobi was actually nice, but this show was overall a massive mess.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Even before the literal visual in this episode, this show did a good job at making me see Darth Vader more as Anakin Skywalker in a suit. And outside of Rebels and Clone Wars, that's not really something you get from other Vader appearances like the OT or Rogue One.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I liked most of the acting. Almost everyone did a great job bringing their characters to life *cough cough some characters were barely more than cardboard so it isn't the actors fault cough cough*. Reva could be cool. Like, a spin-off of Reva as a grey would be dope. Start killing baddies and shit in a mission to redeem all the messed up Sith shit she did.

Some really good shots. I really enjoyed watching Vader v Kenobi.

I need to learn to simply turn off my brain like I'm watching a Michael Bay movie for Star Wars. I keep expecting Rogue One or The Last Jedi. Nah, it's The Force Awakens all day, every day.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It's really weird seeing Twitter way more positive about the show than here, though it could just be who I follow on Twitter.

S1 was just fine but S2 was fire. TCW's last 4 episodes were also the best SW since the OT. Boba Fett was just okay (with the best of it being a Mando S3 backdoor) and this was a mixed bag, but still we're the best we've been since the 2015 comeback.

I have the opposite opinion as you concerning Mando (I liked the first season a bit better, the second was a little too continuity heavy, loved both) but I generally agree with this. Plus we got Visions, Bad Batch (the myth-arc episodes are incredible), and the Lego post-TROS films which are legitimately good and somehow continue the story.

Completely disagree about Obi-Wan vs Maul. What's the point in repeating something that's already been done pretty much perfectly?

I feel like we're suffering due to the issue of people not treating the cartoons seriously. A lot of people either don't bother watching them at all or feel like they need to be redone or flashed back to live action to be real.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
God damn. The previous episodes were terrible.

But God damn if that wasn't the best Star Wars for a long long time.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Even before the literal visual in this episode, this show did a good job at making me see Darth Vader more as Anakin Skywalker in a suit. And outside of Rebels and Clone Wars, that's not really something you get from other Vader appearances like the OT or Rogue One.

Agreed, Rebels Vader and Kenobi Vader feel like Anakin Skywalker is still there somewhere. The comics also portray him as not a complete fucking asshole, just 98%

I guess by the time of the OT we're supposed to see him as completely and totally lost.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
After rewatching the conversation between Vader and Obi-Wan, you can see Vader's eyes changing. I remember Hayden saying something during the press tour that Vader was in a point in his life where he was still battling between Anakin and Vader. I feel like when they shot this, they used the eye color saturation along with the blue and red light sabers to mimic the fight between Anakin and Vader, ultimately, this is the moment when Anakin is completely gone... until Luke brings a hint of him back, and ultimately, brings Anakin all the way back.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I think the entirety of this show was worth it for the absolutely excellent delivery of these few lines:

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Anakin. For all of it."
"I'm not your failure, Obi Wan. You didn't kill Anakin Skywalker. I did."

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think more Reva stuff could be interesting, it just really depends on where they take her. They'd need to do something really unique, as there's already been a few dark side redemption arcs.
On top of that she's just a major loose end in a series already rife with several more surviving Jedi/force sensitive enemies of the Empire between Cal, Quinlan, Ahsoka, and Maul.

I honestly wonder if Vader saying he killed Anakin was all Anakin talking. Like, that's actually the nicest thing he could say to Obi about the situation, it's essentially admitting that Anakin defeated himself and did it knowingly. It takes Obi off the hook.
Might be more Anakin bragging and thinking he's getting one on Obi-Wan by implying only he [Vader] was powerful enough to kill Anakin, while unintentionally providing the very escape from guilt that Obi-Wan needed in that moment.

Though that does have me thinking and wishing that there would have been something about Vader confronting Obi-Wan more directly about how the Jedi through him failed Anakin, and Obi-Wan showing his devoutness to the Order and dogma in denying that. That his sense of failure with Anakin was just a general sense of guilt about his turn, not about the actual things that pushed Anakin there. It just would have been nice to have that attitude he and Yoda held in regard to the situation more present and have that flaw laid out to bare.
A thematic bookend to his "growth" at the very least. It won't take away from Rebels in adapting it, even if they somehow mess it up. The OG scenes will still be there. Half-of-to-one episode tying Rebels, Ahsoka (since we'll have live action Ezra there likely) into the cinematic presentation isn't going to hurt, and a whole season worth of other episodes will be there for entirely original ideas of giving the hermit wizard a reason to not be watching Luke.

That said, more people need to watch Rebels. So much good content there, even if it means pushing through some overly kid-show episodes and the weird motions they go through to show Stormtroopers surviving fights whenever feasible.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Obi Wan season 2.

Obi Wan and ghost Qui Gon in the wackiest buddy cop adventure you will have never expected.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like there was a serious discussion about this back in the day concerning the duels at the end of ROTS. Basically, going in you assume that only Yoda is as good as Palps, but in reality they don't quite know how strong Palps is, and it's possible a swap could have ended decisively for the heroes. Obi does struggle a bit against Dooku and Grievous, admittedly.
Feel like Obi-Wan's encounter with Grievous was light fun for him. Never felt as if he was in any real danger. He disarmed Grievous easily in their duel and only struggled after the chase in the melee fight, where he didn't use the force for some reason.

Dooku is a hard one to explain. He bodied both Anakin and Obi-Wan alone but Yoda scares him away. That must place them on another level. Unless Anakin and Obi-Wan skilled up tremendously during the Clone Wars.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
"No criticism allowed!!!"
I'd say the majority of the criticism is rooted in things that Star Wars has never been and never will be. People have this weird image of a Star Wars that has simply never been what the series was about; Most of the great EU stuff was seemingly a fluke and the movies have always been middling at best save for The Empire Strikes back.

The High Republic books are... okay for what they are. Clone Wars gets pretty decent and then Rebels is okay at best.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I liked this series overall but the final battle just reminded me too much of the battle between Vader and Ashoka; down to the broken visor, combined voice of "Anakin and Vader", even the line "then you will die".

It was too similar.

I think live action will be rethreading a bunch of scenes from the animated shows so that only live action folks get those parts as well.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely had some ups and downs with this show, but the finale landed well for me, I really enjoyed that.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Can't lie, the duel was pretty great, but it's also complete fan fiction. In ten years time Obi-Wan is going to have aged 25 years, lose most of his telekinesis strength and both he and Vader are going to both fight like they have crippling arthritis.

Where did Owen punch Reva when they were up close, and she says "revenge"?

Also, what was Reva's motivation for going after Luke? I know she heard about "the children" through the communicator, but it was never explicitly stated that the kids were Anakin's was it? So how would killing Luke be "revenge"? Unless off screen she somehow was able to get it fixed and heard the extended message or something.

- A Star Destroyer machine-gunning a lone ship, but hitting nothing but empty space
- The empire not dispatching a couple of TiE fighters to take care of Obi Wan while the destroyer kills off the rebel ship

These two things really bugged me, although it's entirely understandable why fighters weren't sent after Obi-Wan. Vader just wanted to handle it personally (I guess).

Thing that was really stupid about that scene though was before the Star Destroyer veers off from the rebel ship that they could have sent fighters after (!!!), it shows Obi-Wan's ship like a mile away in the distance, then when the Star Destroyer cuts off to pursue, somehow Obi-Wan is like right at the tip of the ship, slowly swerving as though he's just trying to bait Vader. Did he actively slow down?

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Feel like Obi-Wan's encounter with Grievous was light fun for him. Never felt as if he was in any real danger. He disarmed Grievous easily in their duel and only struggled after the chase in the melee fight, where he didn't use the force for some reason.

Dooku is a hard one to explain. He bodied both Anakin and Obi-Wan alone but Yoda scares him away. That must place them on another level. Unless Anakin and Obi-Wan skilled up tremendously during the Clone Wars.

With everything they went through, I bet they did get exceptionally better during the war.

Green

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I felt this too. And it was always something that was hard to reconcile.

Also if that was really Hayden in that suit the whole time, the choreographers did a great job making Vader's fighting style feel uniquely distinct from Anakin's. Thought that was cool Hayden was able to do that (if that was him anyway).

Feb 7, 2022
The series ended better than it started. As a whole, I liked it but it wasn't a home run. Like others, picturing Anakin in the suit is easier now.

It's weirdly cheap and clumsy for such a big project. I liked it better once I checked my expectations though.

Oct 25, 2017
Literally thought the Reva stuff was flashbacks, it was so illogical. Impaled and left for dead, then alive and perfectly fine on a totally different planet a few minutes later. And knows about Luke somehow. Okey doke. I guess I should just turn my brain off and focus on enjoying the terrible directing, writing and editing.

One of the most creatively bankrupt shows I've ever seen but maybe that makes it a perfect encapsulation of the Disney Star Wars era. Content to milk the IP into the ground with zero interest in growing or expanding it. Grab some cash from fans just happy to recognize things they already know and don't waste any energy or time on making something quality.

Dec 15, 2017
Obi-Wan let Vader live 3 times? First in Revenge, second time here in Kenobi and third time in the OT Star Wars arguably? Maybe a second season could explore more of Obi-Wan talking with Qui-Gon about how he somehow still believes Vader can be restored to the lightside

Oct 26, 2017
Hayden and McGregor had solid performances this time around, was nice to see. Rest of the episode didn't follow in quality, and the script felt just as poorly thought out as the rest of the series.

- Why didn't the Star Destroyer pursue the ship with Tie Fighters? And if the escape pod/ship is capable of entering hyper space, why not send Leia and Obi out on that?
- Why didn't Reva murder Owen and Beru? And how did Obi-Wan get back so fast?
- Why is Obi-Wan so willing to keep leaving Tatooine when he put so much at risk? Luke was inches away from death
- Why didn't Obi-Wan kill Vader? He even admitted he was beyond saving.

I know a lot of these can be answered with "they had to live" and "set up for Season 2," but this whole series has been so weak.

Also, that Qui-Gon cameo was so bad. Why, after all that time, did he appear in the middle of a desert for no reason? A lot of wasted potential there, especially since they could have had Neeson record some lines for a disembodied voice. All the throwback dialogue was cringy too. And can someone please teach the camera crew how to hold a camera steady?

Window

Oct 27, 2017
With everything they went through, I bet they did get exceptionally better during the war.
I forgot about RoTS opening, where Anakin does beat Dooku solo, but Obi-Wan gets knocked out several times by Dooku. Maybe Obi-Wan is just really good at countering Anakin, being his master and all, but otherwise couldn't take on fighters that Vader/Anakin can.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Obi-Wan let Vader live 3 times? First in Revenge, second time here in Kenobi and third time in the OT Star Wars arguably? Maybe a second season could explore more of Obi-Wan talking with Qui-Gon about how he somehow still believes Vader can be restored to the lightside

he may be still not be able to actually kill anaking because he loves him
he may think that yes he can still be redeemed
after alderaan, he no longers things he can be redeemed thats why he is all like "kill him!" on Return of the Jedi

Dec 15, 2017
he may be still not be able to actually kill anaking because he loves him
he may think that yes he can still be redeemed
after alderaan, he no longers things he can be redeemed thats why he is all like "kill him!" on Return of the Jedi
Well he does seem more at peace with the let the future take care of itself line, I'm sure they have plenty to work with if they do another season since he seems free to trevel off world now without constant fear for Luke's safety. Although I'm not sure how I feel about them meeting in the end like that.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Literally thought the Reva stuff was flashbacks, it was so illogical. Impaled and left for dead, then alive and perfectly fine on a totally different planet a few minutes later. And knows about Luke somehow. Okey doke. I guess I should just turn my brain off and focus on enjoying the terrible directing, writing and editing.

The end of the previous episode shows her picking up the communicator where it mentions "the boy" being on Tattooine. What I don't know though is what her motivation for going after him was. How would killing Luke get her revenge for anything, unless she knew he was Anakin's son (which was not said while the audience was watching her listen). I don't even remember it being mentioned period when Obi-Wan had that message in the first place though.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I felt this too. And it was always something that was hard to reconcile.

Also if that was really Hayden in that suit the whole time, the choreographers did a great job making Vader's fighting style feel uniquely distinct from Anakin's. Thought that was cool Hayden was able to do that (if that was him anyway).

i dont think that was hayden in the suit for the most part. stunt guys mostly. but anakin and vader definitely have different styles. anakin more twirly (which they got back to in that flashback episode) and vader more one-handed giant bat swings. lol.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that was the very definition of a mixed bag. How did Reva, who was supposed to be mortally wounded, end up back on Tatooine so easily? Even if she's hurt, how was she held back by two freaking farmers with laser rifles? Some of the lines were pretty iffy at best, and also very iffily read. And the actress that played Reva wasn't particularly good either.

That said, I still got a bit emotional when she dropped Luke on the floor alive and well. How they got to her turn around was a bit messy, but it worked well enough. Not great, but good enough.

The duels were also pretty cool. Thought so about last episode where Vader was toying with Reva, and seeing Obi-Wan's ass kicking of Vader was really cool. Most of it felt impactful and kinetic (though not as over the top as the prequel fighting). And you could really feel the emotion in the fight as others have said. And I didn't know I cared even a bit to know what would happen to Obi-Wan after order 66, but I'm really glad we got to see him move on from his lowest point to where he is now.

I'm also a bit disappointed with McGregor's acting, cause I've definitely seen him do better, but the parts with him and Luke, and with Leia were absolutely worth watching the show for. And Leia was just the MVP of the show, despite being the star of some very meme worthy chase scenes.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The camera work was pretty poor with the Vader/kenobi fight. Too many cuts.

And the reva stuff was just dumb, should not even been a thing.

But seeing kenobi go super saiyan was nice and the exchanges between vader/kenobi were great.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I missed something basic but how did Reva know of Luke and his location just from the transmitter last episode, and her motivation for going after him felt pretty weak to me
Did she realise Leia was Anakin's child too?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I missed something basic but how did Reva know of Luke and his location just from the transmitter last episode, and her motivation for going after him felt pretty weak to me
Did she realise Leia was Anakin's child too?

That's what I want to know, but to answer your first question: everyone knows that there's just two small towns where everyone knows everyone else in Tattooine.
Or something.

Dec 15, 2017
Reva being a force user does have limited self recovery powers if I'm not mistaken? Although I guess Vader and the Grand Inquisitor were nice enough to leave her a ship nearby. If there's a second season hopefully it would have like a showdown bewteen Obi-Wan and Reva VS all of the inquisitors since the other one's really didn't have more on screen action.