• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Some fanservice with those small things is what people that like the show want.
If fanservice were a drug, we'd all be dead from extreme overdose. If fanservice were the dark side, Palpatine would be disturbed and appalled how much we've given ourselves over to it. If fanservice were money, disney would ask if they could sell us the Star Wars IP rights for it.

The fanservice of Obiwan should have been limited to Ewan playing Obiwan again. That's it, nothing else. Make a new story with Ewan, maybe include some Luke scenes just to ground him to tattooine, some (but not all) SW theme music but that's it. It definitely shouldn't have had Leia as the secondary character through all this, that was already overdrafting. But if it was going to have Leia and Ewan, then it absolutely should not have even touched Vader. He should have been a background presence, a boss that the inquisitors refer to, if even that.

That it kept going with any fanservice beyond that is simply gratuitous.

Last edited:

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
So dumb that Obi-Wan has thoroughly defeated Vader twice now just to let him live to terrorize/murder billions across the galaxy another day. Bleh, prequels.

The Full Metal Beru side story wasn't interesting at all.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
Palpatine looked like his Return of the Jedi appearance, for once. His makeup in Revenge of the Sith and Rise of ***walker never looked right.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Was surprised that they actually found time in this last episode to cram in one more giant contrivance - having Obi-Wan actually somehow defeat Vader handily, have a moment where they actually say that Anakin is dead and it's just Vader now, and then having Obi-Wan not just finish the job and rid of the universe of this incredibly dangerous individual.

Oh and Reva was incapable of killing 2 farmers. Jesus Christ this show.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
My overall thoughts on the show is that it'a a great Wookiepedia entry with some memorable moments.

However it was weighed down by the low ambitions of the script and the low budget execution.

It reminded me of FATWS too in that it felt painfully like a 2 hour movie stretched out

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
The whole thing was so disappointing.

I feel bad for the actors cause the fault lies completely on the script and plot.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Overall I enjoyed the season.
I think it's the characters Obi and Vader that made this more impactful than Mandalorian
The last bit of Reva chasing was a filler for scene transition. I wish she was fleshed out more

Leia holster origin 😆

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Did the emperor look off to anyone?

Something about his appearance looked a bit weird but I couldn't tell what.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
the-return-of-james-earl-jones-1654101030.jpg

Something doesn't work for me in that throne room. In terms of lighting.... The Cold lights taking over the Bright red sky lighting.... Something is super off.
Makes it seem very... PS1 FMV Cutscene. Am I the only one?
something about that throne reminds me of the repeating textures from mid 2000s games

they forgot to add a bump map to T_darth_throne_01.png

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Good but predictable finale. Thankfully the Vader/Kenobi fight was much better this time. Reva was OK but not worthy of the rumored spin-off. The Grand Inquisitor was a wasted character.

Despite the direction and writing issues I mostly enjoyed the season. Ewan McGregor and young Leia were great. Episodes 3 & 4 were the weakest.

Oct 28, 2017
Finale delivered. Pretty much gave me what I wanted.

Overall as a series though it felt very pedestrian and paint by numbers. Parts were good, other parts not so good.

I'm not satisfied with Reva's story at all. You just can't let someone with the knowledge she has up and walk away. I'm not saying Obi-Wan should have killed her but she should have at least died on the desert floor. Maybe there will be another season that can do the character justice and give her an ending.

I think there was just as much to like here as much that can be criticized as well. They nailed 10 yr old Leia, Hayden and Ewan brought it, and a fantastic finale.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
palps.png

He looked like he was wearing his TROS makeup.
He looks like he just woke up.

His voice was also strangely casual. Like, usually he has this evil villain undertone to it, but when he asked "You seem agitated, my friend" it mostly just sounds like an old man asking normally. The next line does have his usual undercurrent of sinisterness, but the first one sounds like he's actually a concerned buddy looking out for Vader.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So dumb that Obi-Wan has thoroughly defeated Vader twice now just to let him live to terrorize/murder billions across the galaxy another day. Bleh, prequels.

The Full Metal Beru side story wasn't interesting at all.

This show made me appreciate Better Call Saul all the more, can't be taking genuinely well crafted prequels for granted, that's for sure

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I thought Qui-Gon wasn't able to visually manifest himself as a force ghost, except on Mortis. Seems like a weird retcon just to have a little cameo.
Yeah, he does eventually learn to manifest but not until the time of ANH — it's in the short story collection From a Certain Point of View, where it's implied it's the first time he does it. So the cameo does kind of break continuity.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
This show made me appreciate Better Call Saul all the more, can't be taking genuinely well crafted prequels for granted, that's for sure
That and Red Dead Redemption 2 are examples of prequels done exceptionally well, off the top of my head. But, like, you don't need to be of THAT level of quality to just do a competent job of writing them.

For me, the strengths of prequels is obvious - it's about exploring what else COULD have possibly gone different. With BCS, we easily see that Jimmy had numerous other paths he could have gone down and a lot the tension and emotional investment is how we see the tragedy of him losing the opportunities that could have resulted in a completely different future.

I was talking to a friend a couple weeks back with how Obiwan was, how could it have been different. We basically came down to a story where Obiwan was offered a real alternative to staying in the desert, where he could have went and lived a life he'd have liked elsewhere. That's what the tension should have been, not "Boy, is Obiwan going to survive the battle with Vader THIS time?!"

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Reva getting to Luke, despite being stabbed, before Obi did bugged me but otherwise I really liked it. The Vader fighter just felt like concept art come to life, Owen and Beru kicked ass, and it was nice to see Qui Gon again (they can hand wave continuity by saying this was Obi Wan imagining him fully formed or something if they want to).

I think I'll enjoy it more on an eventual rewatch, it might benefit from binging.

I want a low key season 2 that's just Obi and Qui Gon reminiscing and philosophising while Leia gets brought around to senate meetings and gets to be a kid.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao Vader is down 1-2 vs Obi-Wan now.
Yep, this show has just confirmed how gifted Obi Wan is. We know he had to come out on top of Vader in the their last meeting, but I was surprised how much of a comprehensive victory it was. Maybe A New Hope vader is stronger than him but even then he let vader kill him, so I'm not sure any version of Vader beats him.

I'm sure, thematically, we can come up with reason a for Obi Wan not killing him, but in that moment, in that story being told, I don't see a good reason for keep him alive.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Mando made me think Starwar might finally be on the right path.

But then I get hit with the Boba Fett/Obi-wan double whammy.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Yep, this show has just confirmed how gifted Obi Wan is. We know he had to come out on top of Vader in the their last meeting, but I was surprised how much of a comprehensive victory it was. Maybe A New Hope vader is stronger than him but even then he let vader kill him, so I'm not sure any version of Vader beats him.

I'm sure, thematically, we can come up with reason a for Obi Wan not killing him, but in that moment, in that story being told, I don't see a good reason for keep him alive.

My head canon is that Obi realised the only way to truly kill Vader was to get closer and stab him with the lightsaber, and Vader still had his out and could be faking the extent of his injuries as a trap. His goal was already accomplished (diverting the destroyer) so why risk it. He also still can't bring himself to kill Anakin, even if Vader says he's already dead.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My head canon is that Obi realised the only way to truly kill Vader was to get closer and stab him with the lightsaber, and Vader still had his out and could be faking the extent of his injuries as a trap. His goal was already accomplished (diverting the destroyer) so why risk it. He also still can't bring himself to kill Anakin, even if Vader says he's already dead.
This is what I'm going for. And tbf to Ewan he played that role well. Broken hearted and still a bit conflicted. Even after everything.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Mando made me think Starwar might finally be on the right path.

But then I get hit with the Boba Fett/Obi-wan double whammy.

You should probably consume non-live action Star Wars. Visions and Bad Batch were excellent, as were the two post TROS Lego movies they made (and even that's ignoring the rest of the stuff they've been putting out).

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
He looks like he just woke up.

His voice was also strangely casual. Like, usually he has this evil villain undertone to it, but when he asked "You seem agitated, my friend" it mostly just sounds like an old man asking normally. The next line does have his usual undercurrent of sinisterness, but the first one sounds like he's actually a concerned buddy looking out for Vader.
The voice threw me off as well. The only other time he had that kinder, casual voice was when he was trying to deceive Ezra in the Rebels series as a gentler man via hologram before reverting back to the growly Palpatine we know and love.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Modern Day Star Wars is a giant redemption arc for George Lucas. I used to think it was him losing his marbles that made star wars bad, but clearly not. In retrospect and in comparison the prequal movies are elevated in comparison to stuff like this (even though his dialogue is absolutely cringe)

I thought him going back to tell more stories was unnecessary but shoe horning in unnecessary stories of Kid Leia and Luke... I mean... why? This is Brian Herbert Dune level of nonsense.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I should say, it's also really nice to see Hayden come back and do well. There was probably one stage were he thought that wouldn't happen.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Ya, I think Obi Wan knows full well that the "Anakin is dead" thing is crap. If that were true Vader wouldn't care so much about getting him. He knows full well that a part of the person he loved is still in there.

What's more, though killing Vader might be a blow to the Emperor, it doesn't really fundamentally change anything. Vader is certainly a far more effective than average tool, but he's still just a tool of the Emperor. Destroying him doesn't bring down the Empire, or save the Galaxy, or really impact much of anything. It actually might have doomed the Galaxy in the end because the only thing that brought down Palpatine ultimately was Vader's betrayal, though giving Obi Wan credit for that level of insight is more than a bit of a stretch.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Obi Wan the kinda dude that would have just shot Hitler in the knee caps, twice, rather than just finishing the job. Way to go dude

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Modern Day Star Wars is a giant redemption arc for George Lucas. I used to think it was him losing his marbles that made star wars bad, but clearly not. In retrospect and in comparison the prequal movies are elevated in comparison to stuff like this (even though his dialogue is absolutely cringe)

I thought him going back to tell more stories was unnecessary but shoe horning in unnecessary stories of Kid Leia and Luke... I mean... why? This is Brian Herbert Dune level of nonsense.

Eh, I can't agree. I'd put literally every single live action Star Wars project except Rise of Skywalker ahead of Episodes 1 and 2. Including both seasons of Mandalorian, Book of Boba Fett, episodes 8-9, and this show.

Not to mention, you can't really tell a story of Obi-Wan between episodes 3 and 4 without having Luke involved at least mildly. His entire life during that period was watching over Luke as he grew up, that was well established. So your choices were to either set the whole thing on Tatooine, which people would have killed you for, or to come up with something to get Obi Wan off planet. Doing that however requires you come up with something serious enough to convince Obi Wan to leave Luke unprotected for a time, to risk the only thing he was living for. I can't think of many things outside of Leia that would have done that. Plenty to criticize in the execution but I don't think the actual storyline is a problem.