• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
This was the episode they finally bothered to flesh her out and they totally flubbed it smh

Ugh it just annoys me. Why wait this long to flesh out your main villain? Why give her so much uncompelling screen time? Why throw such a great actor to the wolves with this horrible material? I know it's dumb to be this disappointed but a cool black woman in Star wars with force powers and this lame act is what they do with her.

Yeah, it's symptomatic of 'reveal' based storytelling, and very frustrating. Motivation clarity should always be at the forefront of your storytelling (unless obscuring it is exactly the point of the character), and there's no reason for them to have hidden Reva's background from us for so long beyond wanting to make it a big "ah ha!" moment. Especially as most people guessed she was a youngling from the first episode.

You put that stuff up front so the audience can understand the character and allow a bit of depth to her actions. It would have been perfectly fine to know she was a survivor all this time, and then we suddenly have a personal motivation to latch on to for her pursuit of Kenobi, and another aspect of his 'failure' for us to layer his story with. It gives her eventual turn in Episode 5 space to breathe, as we can even fill in the gaps that over the previous 4 episodes she's been internally struggling with these feelings, and Obi Wan is the final push.

Honestly? The entire series could have been Reva's story. The failure of the Jedi to protect its young, the things she had to do to survive and turn to the dark side, and her turning back - all thematic of Kenobi's internal conflict and feelings about Anakin. Instead they made her out to be a thinly written petulant child. So many meaningful emotional beats that were glossed over or skirted by.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
My expectations were always super low in regards to the writing. I mean look at the lead writers resume:

www.rottentomatoes.com

Awake

While undergoing surgery, a young man (Hayden Christensen) experiences intraoperative awareness. He becomes fully alert -- but paralyzed -- and therefore cannot tell his doctors that he is not sedated and is enduring the whole process. Meanwhile, his wife (Jessica Alba) wrestles with demons of...
www.rottentomatoes.com

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

After the murder of his father, young Arthur's power-hungry uncle Vortigern seizes control of the crown. Robbed of his birthright, he grows up the hard way in the back alleys of the city, not knowing who he truly is. When fate leads him to pull the Excalibur sword from stone, Arthur embraces his...
www.rottentomatoes.com

Army Of The Dead

From filmmaker Zack Snyder (300, Zack Snyder's Justice League), ARMY OF THE DEAD takes place following a zombie outbreak that has left Las Vegas in ruins and walled off from the rest of the world. When Scott Ward (Dave Bautista), a displaced Vegas local, former zombie war hero who's now flipping...

Why was he put on rewriting duties lol? Deborah Chow and Chung-Hoon Chung's work so far has been the most disappointing part. Did not expect that. Is it their inexperience with shooting inside the Volume? Dunno.

Saying this even though I think this episode was the best one yet. It should have been better.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Vader transport scene

darth-rey.gif

Got me feeling nostalgic for TROS lol. Remember when Star Wars had a budget?

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
That was good

Wow @ finally seeing Obi wan training Anakin, the most important shit the prequels never showed us

Oct 28, 2017
Vader controlling that ship must have been the most powerful use of the force we've seen in current canon.

Not a fan of that AT ALL in an episode I otherwise really enjoyed.

It breaks Vader in the OT. If Vader was strong enough to do that then why not do it when the Millenium Falcon is escaping Hoth ..since he was standing right there. If he can grab and manipulate ships on the ground then why not do it in outer space. Why not just force throw the X-Wings going down the trench of the Death Star? This is a retcon of Vaders abilities that I am not a fan of.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It breaks Vader in the OT. If Vader was strong enough to do that then why not do it when the Millenium Falcon is escaping Hoth ..since he was standing right there. If he can grab and manipulate ships on the ground then why not do it in outer space. Why not just force throw the X-Wings going down the trench of the Death Star? This is a retcon of Vaders abilities that I am not a fan of.
I suppose they would justify it by the OT being 9 years later and Vader is older and weaker.

However, in my mind, I always viewed him as getting more powerful in the darkside the longer he is in the suit. So, I dunno.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Definitively better than last episode. Watching Obi Wan and Padawan Anakin was great; bet Ewan and Hayden had fun doing that scene.

It is still flawed, but entertaining. My only complaint is, again, the shaky camera. If there is indeed a second season, havea different director per episode.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019

It's pretty retconny but to me it makes way more sense that he can do this. Dude is the chosen one, the point of the character is that he is stupidly powerful in the Force to an exaggerated degree, and if Lucas knew what the character would become he would have probably depicted that better in the OT. In the Clone Wars Anakin was stomping both Son and Daughter at the same time.

The Vader suit holds him back but not that significantly.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
The Vader power discrepancy with the OT is just building us up towards a decade's time when they use Ewan and Hayden and remake the OT lol

Jan 3, 2018

Also if Vader can force-pull Obiwan, in ESB why didn't he force-pull Luke at any point during their duel?

Last edited:

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
You know what would've been good? The best part of the PT the Clone Wars!!!! Could've had Clone wars flashbacks. I wasn't asking for much here.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Depending on how the series ends next week, for me, the biggest draw back is the pacing of charactor development, and lack of showing it in some cases. Like Obi-Wan's biggest story in this series is his force powers returning to him. There could have been a lot better build up to where his powers come back and he has a revitalization. Also, Reva's story might have been better if it was sped up. Then we got episode 4, which could have been deleted from the series with a little rewriting.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
It's like a fucking parody. Stage your action scenes better, holy shit.

I've personally seen better choreography and mise-en-scène while at film school. Super low budget, on a tight deadline, we had to make do with what we had, but still churned out watchable shit. This show's compositions are unbelievable.

We've had to endure the hilariously stupid forest chase of Leia, Vader's inability to get past a bit of fire, the most ridiculous 'disguise' in recent memory, rebel ships somehow manneuvering in an impossibly small hanger, and the underwater hallway scene. You know, the one where Obi-Wan squeezed through the door completely dry with no leakage on the ground. It's such a simple thing to anticipate while shooting. If you can't be assed to have water spill into the other hallway in his wake, then just have the dude be closer to the exit, stop trying to milk a chase scene out of the moment, it's just stupid. We know he makes it, there's no tension whatsoever.

Even the way the stormtroopers were arrayed outside the blast doors this episode just looked so half-assed to me. They could have deployed some temporary barriers for cover or something, made the antagonists look tactically dangerous, not just because they have superior numbers.

I know this is Star Wars, it's fantasy nonsense, I'm used to goofy shit, but this show's premise and tone imply seriousness, but I'm just laughing every episode.

Also we didn't even get to hear the sweet sound of a thermal detonator. Inexcusable!

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
I actually liked this episode quite a bit but the directing during the series has been god awful for a Disney flagship. What the hell was the shaky cam during siege scene? Made me feel nauseous and ruined the action, things like this seem really amatuer.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I thought that episode was amazing. A few quibbles here and there but nothing that ruined it for me. Loved seeing the flashback, the refugees, the ship trick (I rewound it and it was in the background the whole time), the stormtroopers still can't sim for shit but the shoot outs were so chaotic it didn't diminish anything. Really curious where this ends up.

He's already flying a fast moving ship in ANH, not sure he wants to put himself in additional danger by also trying to force throw another fast moving ship at the same time.

Otherwise Vader in the OT is rarely if ever actually working at full strength. He's usually toying with the protagonists or using them as tools for something else.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
I thought this episode was great.

Based on the reaction from many other people IMO I'm feeling more and more this should have been a movie. The way the story & action is constructed-- it doesn't really work episodically when you watch 4 episodes before you understand the villain's motivation.

With a movie it can start dull and you can raise the stakes as you go, but with a TV show, if you are 5 episodes into a 6 episode run before it feels like there's something real at stake and before you understand character motivations, it's a fail.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
The way I took the flashback was to mimic Vader still learning from Obi-Wan. He can't help himself. I'd have to watch it again and make notes how I saw that subtext but I can't ATM.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
The point of the scene was to show him as a padawan, he wasn't one in Clone Wars.

I'm not talking about this episode in particular, just in general, especially after they had that retired clone in the earlier episode. Although I will say that Padawan Anakin is the worst so I would've taken General Anakin during the war flashbacks as well.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this episode was great.

Based on the reaction from many other people IMO I'm feeling more and more this should have been a movie. The way the story & action is constructed-- it doesn't really work episodically when you watch 4 episodes before you understand the villain's motivation.

With a movie it can start dull and you can raise the stakes as you go, but with a TV show, if you are 5 episodes into a 6 episode run before it feels like there's something real at stake and before you understand character motivations, it's a fail.

I think Reva's motivations would have been even more jarring and off-putting if the entire thing was a movie. Reva just last episode was about 5 seconds away from literally torturing a 10 year old child and there was no indication yet at all that it was all part of some plot to get revenge on Vader for killing children. It feels like something really got messed up in the execution of her character arc, or 2/3rds of the way through they decided on a different arc for her? It feels so amateurish that it's hard to pinpoint what it could've been, but it feels wrong.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Vader throwing a saber down down to just someone a chance before telling someone that he always knew who they were is peak Star Wars. That amount of self hatred between the two gives me life.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I think Reva's motivations would have been even more jarring and off-putting if the entire thing was a movie. Reva just last episode was about 5 seconds away from literally torturing a 10 year old child and there was no indication yet at all that it was all part of some plot to get revenge on Vader for killing children. It feels like something really got messed up in the execution of her character arc, or 2/3rds of the way through they decided on a different arc for her? It feels so amateurish that it's hard to pinpoint what it could've been, but it feels wrong.

Well, it did have a pretty turbulent production. Almost the entire show was re-written because Disney execs weren't happy with it.

ket

Jul 27, 2018

Why didn't Vader just grab the lightsaber out of Luke's hand in ESB? It was established earlier in the movie that a barely trained, severely injured Luke could use the force to grab his lightsaber while hanging upside down so why didn't Vader do that in ESB and ROTJ?

You can do this all day with Force powers in SW stories.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Grand Inquisitor just wants Reva to suffer like he did except with no medical help (at least he thinks there isn't any medical help that can assist her).

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Better to keep her alive so she can be added to the museum of fallen force sensitive people.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, Vader showed she wasn't a danger to him at all. It's more torment to let her live at that point than end her misery.
But you know she'll be a thorn in his side next week. Just ,the bad guys would do the obvious thing.

I liked the prequel style fighting in the flashback. You could never imagine current Vader being able to fight that way in the suit.