• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
She's fine and I know she can act based off of seeing her in Queen's Gambit, it's the script that's letting her down first and foremost
She's definitely a good actress being disserviced by poor direction and script. However, I have no faith in D+ to do her justice, and honestly have no expectation for this show to even go through. It's not like she's wildly popular as a character despite the hate.

But yeah, a great way to immediately undermine her screen presence as a character is to have Uncle Owen of all people be totally unintimidated by her.

can someone remeber me again exactly why Obi-Wan didn't end the suffering of his "brother" and just walked away?
He had to live and go into the black robot suit before the movie ended

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
me-star-wars.gif

I know I'm doubleposting, but I didn't want you to miss my response, that I edited in, but realized it was too late and you might miss it.

I feel like my criticism of Obi-wan has been relatively constrained, at least compared to the people who are spitting on it here. I even mentioned liking some parts. Plus, some parts I genuinely like in a backhanded sort of way. Like, the scene of Obiwan escaping because Vader cannot find it in himself to put out a small fire and his troops can't go around it, it's genuinely funny to me. I know that it's not good that it's funny because the scene is supposed to be tragic and serious, but I can't say that I wasn't entertained.

I can't say that I like the show as a serious work of art as I don't and I find it compromised, and I find it frustrating that so much of the SW fandom seems to like how compromised SW is in general, how reliant on fanservice, how it seems to all but outwardly apply totally different standards to it than they would any other story because it's Star Wars.

But I would never say that someone isn't supposed to like a story they do. Or, if I did, that was me getting away from myself and being an asshole and I am sorry for that. Straight up, if you like something, I don't think that's wrong, but it's always worth asking why you like it and would you like it if such and such was different, and trying to find out what you really get out of it, and what not. I say that to all works of media, be it Stars Wars or One Piece or whatever. I think that's what makes art worthwhile, worth taking seriously, and what it can reveal about ourselves or what kind of soceity we live in or just new life experiences. That's what I try to encourage with my takes (when I'm not shitposting, obvsly)

I don't think your dumb for simply enjoying what Obi-wan has to offer. I'm sorry if you feel isolated considering that the thread is largely negative, but it's worth acknowledging that this doesn't reflect on you at all and a lot of people do enjoy Obi-Wan along with you, both in the wider internet and even in this thread. I can't apologize for just sharing my own opinions, as I feel that's what I'm fundamentally permitted to do in a discussion board, but that doesn't mean I want you to feel less or alone for it. I respect you having your own opinion and taking joy in the show.

And who knows, maybe in some far flung future, there will be a SW show we all enjoy.

my post was meant as a compliment, more than anything, because even when you are criticizing or talking shit about this, you always post insightful things, and i always kinda agree with what you say , because you actually take the time to explain yourself.

i always look forward to your posts so i can introspect about myself and how your experiences relate to mine.

most of the time im like, "yeah this is true" but i still kinda like it, because my bar is very low, and thats my personal bar.

i do agree that everything could be so much better, it really could

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
my post was meant as a compliment, more than anything, because even when you are criticizing or talking shit about this, you always post insightful things, and i always kinda agree with what you say , because you actually take the time to explain yourself.

i always look forward to your posts so i can introspect about myself and how your experiences relate to mine.

most of the time im like, "yeah this is true" but i still kinda like it, because my bar is very low, and thats my personal bar.

i do agree that everything could be so much better, it really could
Ah, okay, that was my misunderstanding then. Well, then, thank you, I appreciate that. I try to make my posts as well written as I can so that people can have meaningful discussions, and I'm happy that it resonates with some.

Just don't let me ever be any kind of barrier of entry for you to enjoying something. I'm glad you do, and it's not even really worth framing it as you having a low bar, but just acknowledging that something, even with it's problems, just does things you like, even if they are simplistic, basic things like Obiwan taking care of little Leia. There's nothing wrong with that.

Oct 27, 2017
So is the little robot now evil or was that red light just the tracker. If it's the tracker it's a stupid design. If the red light is an evil indicator it's also stupid.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
I'm liking the show, honestly. Star Wars is light fare, you know? I don't think it was ever supposed to be some heavy shit when Flash Gordon was one of its inspirations. Sure the stories get darker in spots, but I think people set themselves up for frustration when they keep hoping for nigh-grimdark stuff.

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
I'm not the biggest star wars guy, I haven't been able to get into any of the D+ shows so far, but this is really clicking with me for some reason. There's plenty of silly stuff for me to nitpick to death, like why Obi-Wan doesn't get recognized more often, the empire's piss poor security, too convenient close calls, etc.

Usually those types of details really bother me, but here I'm completely along for the pulpy space wizard ride.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'm liking the show, honestly. Star Wars is light fare, you know? I don't think it was ever supposed to be some heavy shit when Flash Gordon was one of its inspirations. Sure the stories get darker in spots, but I think people set themselves up for frustration when they keep hoping for nigh-grimdark stuff.

I was reading/reminding myself of KOTOR 2 a few days ago and began wondering if stuff like that is why people are expecting Star Wars stories to get really dark. Then the article brought up how similar parts of it was to TLJ and I was reminded that Star Wars is simply so big a franchise with so many entry points that nothing is ever going to make everyone happy, because everyone is coming into it wanting something differently.

I'm really annoyed that I have to wait until Wednesday for more of this show and then after one more week we don't get any more Star Wars TV stuff until August. Though I imagine once Andor starts we're going to have weekly new Star Wars content for possibly 6+ months (Andor > Tales of the Jedi > Bad Batch > Mando S3).

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It just hit me that not only does this shown inadvertently explain why Leia named her son Ben, it also explains why her lightsaber was incredibly similar to Obiwan's.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
I was reading/reminding myself of KOTOR 2 a few days ago and began wondering if stuff like that is why people are expecting Star Wars stories to get really dark. Then the article brought up how similar parts of it was to TLJ and I was reminded that Star Wars is simply so big a franchise with so many entry points that nothing is ever going to make everyone happy, because everyone is coming into it wanting something differently.

I'm really annoyed that I have to wait until Wednesday for more of this show and then after one more week we don't get any more Star Wars TV stuff until August. Though I imagine once Andor starts we're going to have weekly new Star Wars content for possibly 6+ months (Andor > Tales of the Jedi > Bad Batch > Mando S3).

Yeah like I loved the KOTOR games, but even they pulled back a lot to make room for some excellent goofy shit. Every line HK says is gold. People love ESB because it was darker than ANH but it also had the best comedy of all the OT, like with Hobo Yoda trashing Luke's campsite or disassembled Threepio losing his damn mind every five minutes lol.

I think maybe there is a misconception amongst the vocal minority that gritty, grimdark content automatically equals superior content and yeah, that has been pretty damaging to the fanbase

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I agree Andor might be really good because Rogue One I thought was good, and had no ties to the original characters (except Leia/Vader at the end which wasn't important). Now, after Obi Wan I do worry they will have Leia in the show, maybe even Obi Wan or some such. But it seems so far new SW is best with as few ties as possible to the original characters.

I've only seen this outlet post this news this week so not sure how legit it is but that is an interesting idea

Was way obvious it would happen. I'm telling you she will take the Kenobi name like Rey did with Slywalker.

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Yeah like I loved the KOTOR games, but even they pulled back a lot to make room for some excellent goofy shit. Every line HK says is gold. People love ESB because it was darker than ANH but it also had the best comedy of all the OT, like with Hobo Yoda trashing Luke's campsite or disassembled Threepio losing his damn mind every five minutes lol.

I think maybe there is a misconception amongst the vocal minority that gritty, grimdark content automatically equals superior content and yeah, that has been pretty damaging to the fanbase

Yeah, Star Wars has always found places for comedy even in the darkest stories. KOTOR had HK, ROTS has a bunch of R2 antics and some goofy Obi/Grievous stuff plus a lot of Obi/Anakin sass to one another, ESB has a ton of stuff from Yoda and Han and 3P0, Rogue One has K2, and TLJ has porgs and the ironing board and a ton of other gags.

Like, my ideal Obi show is an introspective show set entirely on Tatooine with no action whatsoever outside of maybe a flashback or two. Instead we got him running around the galaxy with Leia, and while I won't say it's better, it's still a lot of fun (and going by some of the criticisms of the first episode, people would have hated what I wanted).

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
True, but I would also point out that SW started off with a mix of extremely childish visual designs mixed with what graphic horror that is typically considered adult. In the first movie alone, you have Obiwan cutting off an arm with blood gushing from it, you have Leia being tortured (albiet with neither the torture nor any affects of the torture (physical or mental) shown), and the fundamental premise is that this is a war story where people do die (which we see during the final sequence with rogue squadron).

The film toes a very specific line where it says or even sometimes shows really dark, heavy stuff happening, but it's bounced around with a general light-heartedness in the tone and the silliness of the plot and the ridiculousness of the visuals.

But as SW stopped being one film and became several films, and comics, and tv shows, and videogames, obviously the various kinds are gonna cater to different audiences and emphasize different parts. And if you actually like the darker parts of SW being emphasized, you're gonna think "Well, good, that's what SW should be", literally as someone else is thinking "I get what they were going for, but the other parts of SW were atleast as important, this is not what SW should be."

So, yeah, SW really became something different for a lot of people, but the first movie kind of started that trend by itself.

Also, not to make this comparison for the upteenth time because I don't think they are comparable franchises in a lot of ways, but the MCU is notable here that it largely does please most of it's fanbase, just...not all at once. For example, I like it when the MCU is more magic focused than science fiction focused, so it was kind of annoying how the first two phases kind of reduced thor's role and powers, but come phase 3, we have Ragnarok going hard on the mythology and Doctor Strange going hard on magic. I prefer the MCU's darker, more serious storytelling, so I get Winter Soldier and Civil War and Infinity War, but if you prefer lighthearted and comedic, you get to enjoy GotG2 and Thor Ragnarok, which are really funny.

I have a lot of criticism to the samey-ness of the MCU in a lot of ways, but it has atleast one movie for everyone. As I said, there's a lot about the MCU's situation that can't be replicated in SW, but it can be done.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
Yeah, Star Wars has always found places for comedy even in the darkest stories. KOTOR had HK, ROTS has a bunch of R2 antics and some goofy Obi/Grievous stuff plus a lot of Obi/Anakin sass to one another, ESB has a ton of stuff from Yoda and Han and 3P0, Rogue One has K2, and TLJ has porgs and the ironing board and a ton of other gags.

Like, my ideal Obi show is an introspective show set entirely on Tatooine with no action whatsoever outside of maybe a flashback or two. Instead we got him running around the galaxy with Leia, and while I won't say it's better, it's still a lot of fun (and going by some of the criticisms of the first episode, people would have hated what I wanted).

I would have loved at least one episode that was that sort of reflective inner journey, no doubt. With just 6 episodes though they had a lot to cram in.

But maybe someday we'll get an "Owen and Ben Air Their Grievances" bottle episode lol

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
I mean I would argue that a lot of the OTs humor was y'know, actually funny. Which the PT mostly failed to replicate and same goes for this show. I don't care about goofy shit, I care that the goofy shit isn't even entertaining on purpose.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
True, but I would also point out that SW started off with a mix of extremely childish visual designs mixed with what graphic horror that is typically considered adult. In the first movie alone, you have Obiwan cutting off an arm with blood gushing from it, you have Leia being tortured (albiet with neither the torture nor any affects of the torture (physical or mental) shown), and the fundamental premise is that this is a war story where people do die (which we see during the final sequence with rogue squadron).

The film toes a very specific line where it says or even sometimes shows really dark, heavy stuff happening, but it's bounced around with a general light-heartedness in the tone and the silliness of the plot and the ridiculousness of the visuals.

But as SW stopped being one film and became several films, and comics, and tv shows, and videogames, obviously the various kinds are gonna cater to different audiences and emphasize different parts. And if you actually like the darker parts of SW being emphasized, you're gonna think "Well, good, that's what SW should be", literally as someone else is thinking "I get what they were going for, but the other parts of SW were atleast as important, this is not what SW should be."

So, yeah, SW really became something different for a lot of people, but the first movie kind of started that trend by itself.

Also, not to make this comparison for the upteenth time because I don't think they are comparable franchises in a lot of ways, but the MCU is notable here that it largely does please most of it's fanbase, just...not all at once. For example, I like it when the MCU is more magic focused than science fiction focused, so it was kind of annoying how the first two phases kind of reduced thor's role and powers, but come phase 3, we have Ragnarok going hard on the mythology and Doctor Strange going hard on magic. I prefer the MCU's darker, more serious storytelling, so I get Winter Soldier and Civil War and Infinity War, but if you prefer lighthearted and comedic, you get to enjoy GotG2 and Thor Ragnarok, which are really funny.

I have a lot of criticism to the samey-ness of the MCU in a lot of ways, but it has atleast one movie for everyone. As I said, there's a lot about the MCU's situation that can't be replicated in SW, but it can be done.

Yeah, I agree about the MCU stuff. It also helps them please more of the fanbase because, while stuff does occasionally get darker or lighter, there's way less of it (only TV shows and movies) so fans aren't really coming at in from different angles (Star Wars can get pretty dark in the books and comics). No one is really going into the MCU wanting everything to be Winter Soldier.

I would have loved at least one episode that was that sort of reflective inner journey, no doubt. With just 6 episodes though they had a lot to cram in.

But maybe someday we'll get an "Owen and Ben Air Their Grievances" bottle episode lol

I feel like the first episode did a good job of showing what that sort of show would be.

I'm wondering if we get more Owen this season, btw, because there was a lot of talk in early press about how thankful the crew was for that actor already being cast... but he hasn't been in it much. I wonder if we get a chunk of time back on Tatooine towards the end of the season.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
People who want introspective tatooine hermit Kenobi should read the Kenobi novel.

One of the most universally loved Legends novels and it doesn't even conflict with this show or anything canon. It's set right after ROTS.

It is also wayyyy better written then the show.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if we get more Owen this season, btw, because there was a lot of talk in early press about how thankful the crew was for that actor already being cast... but he hasn't been in it much. I wonder if we get a chunk of time back on Tatooine towards the end of the season.

Have we even seen Beru yet? I think we heard her voice in part 1 or 2 but did we even see her or was the voice off-screen?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Have we even seen Beru yet? I think we heard her voice in part 1 or 2 but did we even see her or was the voice off-screen?

I think she was in the background when we saw Luke?

I wonder if the show will go for a fake out and the main plot will end next week and episode six will be Obi bringing Leia back to Bail and then going back to Tatoinne.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I kept thinking the new theme sounded familiar and I finally realized it… the main five notes are really similar to the Spider-Man PS4 2018 main theme.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
Man, episode 4 is indefensible.
The locations, clothing and all the visuals are good. It for sure took heavy inspiration from the infiltration mission from Fallen Order.

Not only the general setup and dialogue was bad, but the guidance for a lot of the deliveries were either wrong or absent.

"if you want my help.. you got it"

*They clearly tried to imply that Reva sympathized with Leia, but the writing wasn't good enough to make the audience feel it.
*Why even bother to put her in an interrogation machine? She is a defenseless kid and you are ruthless.
*Yes, Tala is awesome. But a bit too much?
*Obi Wan suddenly regains his skills and powers, with no clear setpoint reason or emotional "moment" as payoff. It just happens offscreen.
*Where did he got that master key? Wouldn't Tala need one to navigate herself?
*They seriously couldn't think in anything else, but walking with a ridiculously oversized gabardine in the middle of a group of officers and soldiers looking for a traitor? A clothing element that wasn't even setup/hinted at earlier?
*Yes, last minute rescues are a staple of SW, but all your justification was "the base is defenseless"??

Seriously, at least minimum effort.

That scene when the sort of A-wing is shooting Reva a few meters away?
No.

Extra: That first dead fella in the detention center, was the grampa Jedi that helped Ahsoka to recover her lightsaber in one CW episode (Tera Sinube)

Last edited:

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they show a bunch of tie fighters in the inquisitors base right at beginning? Were those just for decoration purposes?

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I've come to peace that for a Star Wars TV show this is probably good weekly material. This episode basically felt like as if they played the last hour of Fallen Order and decided to adapt it to television, though.

However, I think everything would work better if Obi Wan was replaced by another protagonist, be it Ezra, Ashoka, Cal, somebody new. The whole concept of the story of him helping Leia out it's just not it. I've always pictured Obi Wan's time between III and IV in a different way. While it make sense for Leia to have lived situations like these in her childhood, crossing paths with Obi Wan and the series basically being "all these IV characters actually met before and none of it will matter at the end anyways" is disappointing.

I feel like the direction for Obi Wan should have been a 3 episode special with a more subdued story treatment, less action, less characters, more introspective. And this show would have been fine being the weekly live action TV show with a Jedi. Kinda almost feels like Mandalorian S1 got the treatment Obi Wan should have got and then they decided they didn't want to repeat it for this show... only to have us sit through another story of a hero rescuing a child anyways.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*They seriously couldn't think in anything else, but walking with a ridiculously oversized gabardine in the middle of a group of officers and soldiers looking for a traitor? A clothing element that wasn't even setup/hinted at earlier?
*Yes, last minute rescues are a staple of SW, but all your justification was "the base is defenseless"??
To be fair, that clothing element WAS hinted at earlier. We see several officers walking with similar coats in the background when Tala is entering the base.

The base not having much defense was also mentioned at the start of the episode when they were showing it to Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan remarked that the planet is not guarded and one of the rebel people replied that it's because no one would be fool enough to attack the place where the Inquisitors are based. It's a stupid reason but eh, this is Star Wars. It's no more stupid than the Empire building a second Death Star with the exact same design flaw as the first one.

Didn't they show a bunch of tie fighters in the inquisitors base right at beginning? Were those just for decoration purposes?
I thought Reva said she let them go on purpose? When the remaining A-Wing finally flew off we even saw Reva kind of smiling in a "all according to keikaku" way.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, that clothing element WAS hinted at earlier. We see several officers walking with similar coats in the background when Tala is entering the base.
Normally, I would go and check back, to find if there really were large coats hinted. But I will take your word for it.
The base not having much defense was also mentioned at the start of the episode
That's why I mentioned that the only setup, was that the "base is defenseless". Which normally, wouldn't be bother me that much, but:
*The episode shows that it IS specially/densely guarded (there are even death troops); there are ships there, which means there is a Control room, which means radar, shields, etc
*This clearly is no ordinary base. It might very well be one of the most important places of the whole Empire.
And for that, it ought to have tons of counter measures.
It contradicts Fallen Order, too. That's why both Cal and Obi had to take the submarine route, in the first place.

I thought Reva said she let them go on purpose?
That was fine. But either no one but her (which is is almost a given) knew of that plan, and the escape makes everyone look even more incompetent than usual, or some officers already knew of the plan ahead of time (and thus explain why Tala had a relatively easy time). But that kinda clash with Vader's reaction. All of that could have been easily prevented, with better writing/planning.

My A-wing remark wasn't about the escape, but how it was all presented. Just Nitpickings, but it was too poorly made.
Ship lasers are supposed to be quite powerful, and even experienced force users have a difficult time against it.

When the rescue starts, you can see see how impactful they are, pushing back soldiers and generating smoke/large particle effects.
But the moment Reva steps in front, it suddenly become regular stormtrooper's weak lasers bolts. The deflection acting is specially poor, with no motion tracking, giving no weight to the movements, nor a sense of Reva is being 'pinned down'. There is also no feedback from the ship or its thrust, or any feeling that it's in there.

The wings also likely had to depart close to when Tala/Obi left, as they are in a different sector too. And the show didn't spend time giving those extras, mulling on the gravity of going there (in a suicide mission) to help a random stranger. That - I feel -, is the difference with CW episodes, they are compact, but try to give at least some gravitas to the decisions/deaths of named characters. Here, the writers just throw a quick phrase early on, and that's it.
But again, nitpickings.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, the worthy element of this episode (for me), was those Force user bodies.
My guess is that it's all connected with Grogu (and the sample taken from him), and probably making the case for Palpy's cloning facilities in the sequel trilogy.

Last edited:

JAlpsWanderer

Oct 27, 2017
Man, episode 4 is indefensible.

I'm with you for some of the criticisms, but some of it seems like a stretch?

*Obi Wan suddenly regains his skills and powers, with no clear setpoint reason or emotional "moment" as payoff. It just happens offscreen.

I dunno. I thought the emotional payoff for this was in episode two, when he used his powers to save Leia. Everything since then has been bit by bit. As for his skills, he seemed pretty sloppy throughout the whole bit. (though this could be due to the editing as well.)

Ehh...I'm actually okay with this one. The Empire is at the height of its power and hubris 10 years after RotS. As far as we know, there is no established resistance at this point. It's just people trying to survive.

*Yes, Tala is awesome. But a bit too much?

Not really sure what you mean here. She's got the Imperial officer act pretty much down, and other than that, she was able to fight decently when she needed to. I like the character, but I don't see what she's doing that's really unbelievable (outside of normal Star Wars fare, anyway.)

Not trying to rag on you or anything. You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
Not trying to rag on you or anything. You're certainly entitled to your opinion.
Thanks. I won't try to counter argument, because those are personal opinions and that's fine.

I'm normally very lenient to poorly made stuff, if the payoff is at least decent (and you get something new from the main characters).
The idea of Obi interacting/caring for Leia is fine, even good. - It removes the perception that one twin was more relevant than the other.
Just that one was less protected, lead an aimless life and was more easily accessible (and thus why Obi pick him).

The show, as it is, it's not making good use of the general idea. It all feels choppy, unremarkable and mostly just a sidequest?
But it's not the case, because it's setting up Leia, Reva, the Path (fate of missing Jedi), the Force user bodies and fleshing out both Obi and Anakin characters.
All big stuff.

But it doesn't feel like it (despite budget). And that's the problem.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why did Reva behave so clunky with her lightsaber at the end? Looked pretty slow and amateurish in her movements.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Why did Reva behave so clunky with her lightsaber at the end? Looked pretty slow and amateurish in her movements.
Honestly one of my favorite bits is that she blocked a shots without looking before paying full attention to the situation.

I only mention this because Ahsoka did the exact same thing in the final season of Clone Wars
4cwQulB.gif

Yes my brain notices stuff like this dont't @ me

Honestly makes me wonder what the reaction to this series would be if it was animated.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Ehh...I'm actually okay with this one. The Empire is at the height of its power and hubris 10 years after RotS. As far as we know, there is no established resistance at this point. It's just people trying to survive.

That and having genocidal space wizards back stabbing each other for recognition probably isn't an effective form of leadership or command

Leadership dysfunction in the Empire is more or less a recurring theme so it makes sense

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm talking scrambling some tie fighters when the rebel ships approached. Basic defence even for an incompetent military.
Jedi were able to infiltrate this base twice so like, emphasis on incompetent because the workforce of the empire of this point are,

THIS GUY:
latest

but with basic military training and inferior tactics/equipment in comparison to the clone troops that they replaced.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking scrambling some tie fighters when the rebel ships approached. Basic defence even for an incompetent military.

Or even after. It's not like those killed stormtroopers were the one flying the fighters.

After the Cal Kestis incident, the Empire thought "I suppose we don't need any Star Destroyers to defend, no one is going to try THAT again."